• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

An Open Letter to the Gaming Community from CD Projekt RED

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
A month ago, we reported that CD Projekt RED, makers of The Witcher 2 had claimed that they could identify '100% of pirates' and had started an RIAA-style 'settlement letter' shakedown (extortion) tactic in Germany. Well, unsurprisingly, this hasn't gone down too well with their customers and the outcry has been loud and strong, especially on gog.com, where their forums have been full of posts from disgruntled customers. Well, it looks like the pressure has gotten too much for them and they have backpedalled furiously on this decision and issued an open letter, published on rockpapershotgun.com. In it, they state that they want people to continue to have faith in them and stressed how they're still totally against 'piracy' of their products and appealed for gamers to refrain from engaging in it:
In early December, an article was published about a law firm acting on behalf of CD Projekt RED, contacting individuals who had downloaded The Witcher 2 illegally and seeking financial compensation for copyright infringement. The news about our decision to combat piracy directly, instead of with DRM, spread quickly and with it came a number of concerns from the community. Repeatedly, gamers just like you have said that our methods might wrongly accuse people who have never violated our copyright and expressed serious concern about our actions.

Being part of a community is a give-and-take process. We only succeed because you have faith in us, and we have worked hard over the years to build up that trust. We were sorry to see that many gamers felt that our actions didn't respect the faith that they have put into CD Projekt RED. Our fans always have been and remain our greatest concern, and we pride ourselves on the fact that you all know that we listen to you and take your opinions to heart. While we are confident that no one who legally owns one of our games has been required to compensate us for copyright infringement, we value our fans, our supporters, and our community too highly to take the chance that we might ever falsely accuse even one individual.

So we've decided that we will immediately cease identifying and contacting pirates.

Let's make this clear: we don't support piracy. It hurts us, the developers. It hurts the industry as a whole. Though we are staunch opponents of DRM because we don't believe it has any effect on reducing piracy, we still do not condone copying games illegally. We're doing our part to keep our relationship with you, our gaming audience, a positive one. We've heard your concerns, listened to your voices, and we're responding to them. But you need to help us and do your part: don't be indifferent to piracy. If you see a friend playing an illegal copy of a game-any game-tell your friend that they're undermining the possible success of the developer who created the very game that they are enjoying. Unless you support the developers who make the games you play, unless you pay for those games, we won't be able to produce new excellent titles for you.

Keep on playing,
Marcin Iwinski
co-founder
CD Projekt RED

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Red Giant
Processor Intel Core i7-12700K
Motherboard MSI Pro Z690
Cooling Corsair H100i elite
Memory Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB
Video Card(s) MSI 4070TI Super
Storage 960 GB Sandisk SSD
Display(s) 27 inch Predator 144 hz 2k
Case CoolerMaster HAF X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 11 Pro
Nice that they are listening to their customer base at least, imo their has never and will never be a reason to demand extraordinary sums of money from people over pirated music/movies/games, yes it is something that needs to be dealt with but legal robbery is not the way to do it UNLESS the person was a distributor of pirated content.

I don't get it. I wouldn't worry about their push against pirates, when i'm having the receipt of the original copy. Why are others worrying?

System Name Red Giant
Motherboard MSI Pro Z690
Case CoolerMaster HAF X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Software Windows 11 Pro
I don't get it. I wouldn't worry about their push against pirates, when i'm having the receipt of the original copy. Why are others worrying?

From reading it I think it was more that people were upset by the large sums of money that were being demand over a single pirated copy of the game rather than the fact that they were going after pirates in the first place.

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Processor Intel 8700K @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32 GB Crucial Ballistix 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Display(s) Dell U2412M + Samsung TA350
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Samson Meteor Mic / Generic 2.1 / KRK KNS 6400 headset
Power Supply Zalman EBT-1000
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
in all honesty if you pirate and get caught you just be forced to pay the retail price of what you took that way everyone can just STFU and GTFOWTL (get the **** on with there lives)

System Name penguin
Processor R7 5700G
Motherboard Asrock B450M Pro4
Cooling Some CM tower cooler that will fit my case
Memory 4 x 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage ADATA SU800 512GB
Display(s) 27' LG
Case Zalman
Audio Device(s) stock
Power Supply Seasonic SS-620GM
Software win10
in all honesty if you pirate and get caught you just be forced to pay the retail price of what you took that way everyone can just STFU and GTFOWTL (get the **** on with there lives)

What about all those poor starving lawyers? THINK OF THE LAWYERS!

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Processor Intel 8700K @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32 GB Crucial Ballistix 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Display(s) Dell U2412M + Samsung TA350
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Samson Meteor Mic / Generic 2.1 / KRK KNS 6400 headset
Power Supply Zalman EBT-1000
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
im sure they can find work suing corporation on behalf of fat ass americans that burn themselves on coffee.. or something. after all we sue each other here in the states over everything.. trust me lawyers will ALWAYS have work. that is a fact besides Apple can always use more lawyers as well for there patent lawsuits :roll:

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
I can get a standard The Witcher 2 for about $20 here anyway so theres no need for me to pirate it. Its the Premium & collectors edition that seem to be retardedly expensive

System Name Runs Smooth
Processor FX 8350
Motherboard Crosshair V Formula Z
Cooling Corsair H110 with AeroCool Shark 140mm fans
Memory 16GB G-skill Trident X 1866 Cl. 8
Video Card(s) HIS 7970 IceQ X² GHZ Edition
Storage OCZ Vector 256GB SSD & 1Tb piece of crap
Display(s) acer H243H
Case NZXT Phantom 820 matte black
Audio Device(s) Nada
Power Supply NZXT Hale90 V2 850 watt
Software Windows 7 Pro
Benchmark Scores Lesbians are hot!!!
This whole ordeal almost makes me want to pirate the game to say "fuck you". Almost.

System Name TaichiTig
Processor i7 6800K
Motherboard ASRock X99 Taichi
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) RTX 4070
Storage SSD + Misc. HDDs in DrivePool
Display(s) BenQ PD3200U, Samsung C32HG70
Case Antec Twelve Hundred
Audio Device(s) Behringer UMC404HD, LSR308, Shure SRH840, AKG K612, Etymotic HF5
Power Supply Corsair 750TX
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Deck Legend Ice Tactile
Software Win10
I as a gamer want pirates to get caught and made to pay for their games. Why? Because I paid for mine. Because I want the developer to get what they earned creating the game. Because I want the developer to continue innovating and pushing the art of game design.

No, I don't want pirates to be fined hundreds or thousands of dollars. And no, I'm not sure if/how pirates can be accurately and reliably traced but I'm also not sure they can't. That's on the judicial systems to resolve. And no, I don't want [and won't buy] games with experience-crippling DRM.

Regardless of how rich or poor game developers are, regardless of how much of a dent pirating really puts in their earnings, regardless of what DRM is in the game, and regardless of how highly the game scored with critics and gamers; if you like a game I suggest you buy it. If you don't like it I suggest you protest by not buying it. And if you pirate it, I hope you get caught and fined.

That is all.

System Name i7-PC / HTPC / iMac
Processor i7 3820 / Phenom II 940
Motherboard GIGABYTE G1.ASSASSIN2 / M3A79-T Deluxe
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100i / Scythe II (HS only)
Memory G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600mhz / 4GB DDR2 1066 (@800) Corsair Dominator
Video Card(s) GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB / GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB
Storage 2x 80GB Intel X-25, 2x600gb SATA, 1x1tb 5400RPM storage /1x600GB, 3x500GB,1x160,1x120 SATA
Display(s) 1x 27" Yamakasi / Vizio 42" HDTV
Case Lian Li Lancool PC-K58 / Antec 900
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Striker 7.1 / Onboard and HDMI from ATi Card
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750W / 610W
Software Ubuntu / Windows 8.1 Pro / OS X / PHPStorm / Gaming
i would just add that when legitimate users are in the crossfire the company needs to refrain from actions that might negatively affect said users.

it's a lot to ask them, and I am actually very happy CD PR did this. I didn't care much about the letters honestly but to take this kind of action really shows what they care about, and makes me glad for having supported them in the past - and i will continue to do so.

I as a gamer want pirates to get caught and made to pay for their games. Why? Because I paid for mine. Because I want the developer to get what they earned creating the game. Because I want the developer to continue innovating and pushing the art of game design.

No, I don't want pirates to be fined hundreds or thousands of dollars. And no, I'm not sure if/how pirates can be accurately and reliably traced but I'm also not sure they can't. That's on the judicial systems to resolve. And no, I don't want [and won't buy] games with experience-crippling DRM.

Regardless of how rich or poor game developers are, regardless of how much of a dent pirating really puts in their earnings, regardless of what DRM is in the game, and regardless of how highly the game scored with critics and gamers; if you like a game I suggest you buy it. If you don't like it I suggest you protest by not buying it. And if you pirate it, I hope you get caught and fined.

That is all.

This is exactly how I feel. Couldn't have put it better.

Processor AMD 3700X
Motherboard MSI P55-GD80
Cooling Fractal Design Celsius S24
Memory 2x16gb Crucial e-die 3000MHZ
Video Card(s) MSI 3070 Trio
Display(s) Lenovo G27Q-20
Case Phantec P400
Audio Device(s) GSP370
Power Supply EVGA G3 750W
Mouse Corsair Harpoon Pro
VR HMD Rift

And how does that help? Uploading makes you twice as guilty as the leeches. Regardless of if you own a license, you do not have the right to upload copyrighted material/data to the public, which is what happens when you use p2p.

However if you upload to a hosting server and never publish a link to keep for yourself technically you should be within the usual laws.

Processor AMD 3700X
Motherboard MSI P55-GD80
Case Phantec P400
Audio Device(s) GSP370
VR HMD Rift

That is all.

Meh, why do you care so much? You paid, whether it turns out to be worth it is another story. :p

(don't give me that crap about reviews, and videos, game is like art, you don't know you'll like it until you experience it yourself!)

:)

Next you'll be saying "I want everyone to pay launch price and nothing cheaper, because I paid that price so should everyone else!" (I jest, but the next target for all the hate is the second hand market which is pretty much already dead on pc).

System Name TaichiTig
Processor i7 6800K
Motherboard ASRock X99 Taichi
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) RTX 4070
Storage SSD + Misc. HDDs in DrivePool
Display(s) BenQ PD3200U, Samsung C32HG70
Case Antec Twelve Hundred
Audio Device(s) Behringer UMC404HD, LSR308, Shure SRH840, AKG K612, Etymotic HF5
Power Supply Corsair 750TX
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Deck Legend Ice Tactile
Software Win10
Meh, why do you care so much? You paid, whether it turns out to be worth it is another story. :p

(don't give me that crap about reviews, and videos, game is like art, you don't know you'll like it until you experience it yourself!)

:)

Next you'll be saying "I want everyone to pay launch price and nothing cheaper, because I paid that price so should everyone else!" (I jest, but the next target for all the hate is the second hand market which is pretty much already dead on pc).

Don't put words in my mouth—I would not say you should always pay launch price. I'd suggest buying a game when the price is worth to you. Like many here, I've taken advantage of those kick-ass Origin/Steam/etc. deals and paid next to nothing for certain games. On the other hand, some games impress me so much that I feel it's worth buying extra copies to give to friends—Call of Duty 4, Fallout 3, and Portal 2 are good examples.

And I'd also suggest trying a game before you buy it, if possible. I won't condone but also won't condemn people who download pirated games to try them and then either delete them if they don't like them, or buy them if they do. Gotta tread lightly here though....

Last edited:

Jarman

Processor Opty 165 @ 3011 MHz
Motherboard DFI NF4 SLI-D
Cooling Koolance Exos, DD TDX/Maze4 GPU
Memory 2GB G.Skill HZ DDR 500 Kit
Video Card(s) XFX Geforce 7900GT
Storage > 1.5 TB
Display(s) XEROX 19" TFT
Case Coolermaster ATCS 101
Audio Device(s) Creative X-FI
Power Supply OCZ 850W
Software XP serv pack 2
I know it's not really their job to do this, but if companies like steam offered more free weekends on games (especially newer titles) then people could try before they buy without pirating. Or if every steam user could try one game a month for a day, something along those lines.

I bought cod black ops off steam without trying it first, and i feel robbed for doing so. I would definitely consider trying a game by whatever means necessary before buying it in the future.

I'm not saying this would solve piracy, but it would be a step in the right direction.

System Name Homelabs
Processor Ryzen 5900x | Ryzen 1920X
Motherboard Asus ProArt x570 Creator | AsRock X399 fatal1ty gaming
Cooling Silent Loop 2 280mm | Dark Rock Pro TR4
Memory 128GB (4x32gb) DDR4 3600Mhz | 128GB (8x16GB) DDR4 2933Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 | ASUS Strix GTX 970
Storage Optane 900p + NVMe | Optane 900p + 8TB SATA SSDs + 48TB HDDs
Display(s) Alienware AW3423dw QD-OLED | HP Omen 32 1440p
Case be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 | be quiet! Silent Base 800
Power Supply Corsair RM750x + sleeved cables| EVGA P2 750W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate (still has buttons on the right side, crucial as I'm a southpaw)
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite, Pro Type | Logitech G915 TKL
Paying retail price if you get caught pirating is not nearly enough. Maybe something like 5x Retail price would be better.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
I know it's not really their job to do this, but if companies like steam offered more free weekends on games (especially newer titles) then people could try before they buy without pirating. Or if every steam user could try one game a month for a day, something along those lines.

I bought cod black ops off steam without trying it first, and i feel robbed for doing so. I would definitely consider trying a game by whatever means necessary before buying it in the future.

I'm not saying this would solve piracy, but it would be a step in the right direction.

Exactly, bring back the demo! Companies used to do this routinely, but after that BS statement a while back about them stopping this due to "costs", we don't get them any more. Of course, we know the real reason is so that people such as yourself take a gamble on it and if you don't like it, you're stuck with it and the publisher has pocketed your money for something you don't want. What a nice little racket. :nutkick:

I would go one further than your suggestion and say that Steam should impose terms on all games publishers that every game is allowed to be played for free for a limited time, say three days, after which you have to pay to continue playing. Now, that would be fair. It would also sort out the crap from the quality, which is as it should be.

System Name i7-PC / HTPC / iMac
Processor i7 3820 / Phenom II 940
Motherboard GIGABYTE G1.ASSASSIN2 / M3A79-T Deluxe
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100i / Scythe II (HS only)
Memory G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600mhz / 4GB DDR2 1066 (@800) Corsair Dominator
Video Card(s) GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB / GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB
Storage 2x 80GB Intel X-25, 2x600gb SATA, 1x1tb 5400RPM storage /1x600GB, 3x500GB,1x160,1x120 SATA
Display(s) 1x 27" Yamakasi / Vizio 42" HDTV
Case Lian Li Lancool PC-K58 / Antec 900
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Striker 7.1 / Onboard and HDMI from ATi Card
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750W / 610W
Software Ubuntu / Windows 8.1 Pro / OS X / PHPStorm / Gaming
I know it's not really their job to do this.

i don't really think it's in their power. they could ask, but from what i've seen free weekends are done by the publishers - most often to boost players in online games. I doubt EA, Ubi, etc would allow a free weekend for their 8 hr singleplayer games. activision NEVER for cod, they still charge full price for old versions.

demos are the only answer, including a mp demo or beta if they want to call it that. however honestly with cod you should know what to expect. they haven't changed a thing for years, and when they are continually the best selling game why would they? if you want to see a different cod game, play battlefield until activision isn't raking in the cash - then they'll change things up.

Jarman

Processor Opty 165 @ 3011 MHz
Motherboard DFI NF4 SLI-D
Cooling Koolance Exos, DD TDX/Maze4 GPU
Memory 2GB G.Skill HZ DDR 500 Kit
Video Card(s) XFX Geforce 7900GT
Storage > 1.5 TB
Display(s) XEROX 19" TFT
Case Coolermaster ATCS 101
Audio Device(s) Creative X-FI
Power Supply OCZ 850W
Software XP serv pack 2
well i buy everything for the mp.

I used to play what i would call "skilled" fps, such as quake 3 CPMA, CS 1.6 and delta force 2. After they went out the window i went to cod4, which was sort of a dumbed down so anybody can get kills game-but still fun. Unfortunately now there is literally no skill in any of these games, just get a mad op shotgun or grenade launcher and spam for your life. Or a lovely helicopter gun ship, or a car with c4 on....just no skill.

League of legends guys, it's free (to an extent) and great fun - and there are no cheats, frequent update, character balances etc...it's not an fps, but skilled fps pc gaming is dead to me.

Processor AMD 3700X
Motherboard MSI P55-GD80
Case Phantec P400
Audio Device(s) GSP370
VR HMD Rift
well i buy everything for the mp.

I used to play what i would call "skilled" fps, such as quake 3 CPMA, CS 1.6 and delta force 2. After they went out the window i went to cod4, which was sort of a dumbed down so anybody can get kills game-but still fun. Unfortunately now there is literally no skill in any of these games, just get a mad op shotgun or grenade launcher and spam for your life. Or a lovely helicopter gun ship, or a car with c4 on....just no skill.

League of legends guys, it's free (to an extent) and great fun - and there are no cheats, frequent update, character balances etc...it's not an fps, but skilled fps pc gaming is dead to me.

Starcraft 2.

Yeah shooters have gone down hill, there still is cod4 promod though keeping fps alive in the tournaments, but really still relying on CS 1.6.

Processor AMD 3700X
Motherboard MSI P55-GD80
Case Phantec P400
Audio Device(s) GSP370
VR HMD Rift
Don't put words in my mouth—I would not say you should always pay launch price. I'd suggest buying a game when the price is worth to you. Like many here, I've taken advantage of those kick-ass Origin/Steam/etc. deals and paid next to nothing for certain games. On the other hand, some games impress me so much that I feel it's worth buying extra copies to give to friends—Call of Duty 4, Fallout 3, and Portal 2 are good examples.

And I'd also suggest trying a game before you buy it, if possible. I won't condone but also won't condemn people who download pirated games to try them and then either delete them if they don't like them, or buy them if they do. Gotta tread lightly here though....

Fair enough. :) I much prefer the try before you buy style (which, in the past, our retailers did do for consoles but obviously not PC, there are still a few here and there but mostly 3DS etc).

trickson

OH, I have such a headache
System Name Ryzen TUF.
Processor AMD Ryzen7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF X570 Gaming Plus
Cooling Noctua
Memory Gskill RipJaws 3466MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TUF 1650 Super Clocked.
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S750H
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Software Windows 10 64 bit Home OEM
All people do when they steal is take from every one ! Prices goes up we in turn have to pay for it ! If you steal you should be held accountable for it plain and simple . I am sick of all the thieves out there getting away with taking from others and then crying about how they are treated ! You steal you get caught you pay the price ! After all , did you think what you were doing was and is ok ? I hate the fact that we honest people have to pay for you thieves !

System Name Red Giant
Motherboard MSI Pro Z690
Case CoolerMaster HAF X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Software Windows 11 Pro
All people do when they steal is take from every one ! Prices goes up we in turn have to pay for it ! If you steal you should be held accountable for it plain and simple . I am sick of all the thieves out there getting away with taking from others and then crying about how they are treated ! You steal you get caught you pay the price ! After all , did you think what you were doing was and is ok ? I hate the fact that we honest people have to pay for you thieves !

The price however should not be anything more than the price of the game or if you are a distributor the original price of the game multiplied by how many times it was downloaded from your upload. Their is no excuse to pirate a game, but their is also no excuse to charge someone an outrageous amount of money for a single pirated copy of a game.