• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Possible path to weight loss - the 15% solution

T

twilyth

I guess the best thing I can say is that our bodies are a lot smarter than we think they are. I believe that they lead us in the direction we need to go if we stop to, not just listen, but understand.

So the lesson from the article in the OP, for me anyway, is that, if you're hungry all of the time, it's probably not because you are a bad person, but because your body is trying to tell you something. Listen and as best you can, try to figure out what that might be. Knowing more about how it influences our decisions in ways that are far beyond the grasp of our consciousness, seems like it could be one of those things that we really need to learn more about.

The other thing is, working out is great. Trying to cut out the junk in your diet is also great. And in the short run, someone who is motivated can do those things. But in the long run, you do what you enjoy and avoid what you don't. So eat what you enjoy. Have a snack if you need to, but chose it wisely. Take things you like to do and build on them. Even shopping can be an excuse to take a stroll around the mall. Simple, easy shit. Shit that, once it's part of your life, the words "diet" and exercise don't even come to mind. It's just how you live your life, and oddly enough, somehow you ended up being reasonably fit in the process.

System Name gaming system
Processor 2600k @ 4.2 ghz
Motherboard MSI Z77 MPower
Cooling Thermalright ultra extreme 120 rev.C w/noctua NF-S12B push/pull
Memory 16gb corsair vengeance 2400 c11 @1.5 v/
Video Card(s) GB gtx670 WF3x sli @1080/1372/6660(core/boost/mem)
Storage 2x samsung 850evo 250gb raid 0 ,2tb wdblack, 3TB wd purple
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster P2770FH, asus VH242t/19" lg 1440x900
Case fractal design r4
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX1050
Mouse Razer abyssus
Keyboard corsair k70
Software Windows 10 pro x64
Best way to lose weight: lypo sucsion or what ever it's spelled lol
J/K
Exercise. Happiness. Sex. Nothing more needed

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Protein consumption as a percentage of total caloric intake (ie. 10-20%) has been used for years by nutritionists, especially in gyms and other exercise facilities. This is by and large, a reasonable method for healthy active person, especially when strength training, as it means higher caloric cunsumption means more protein consumption.

This method fall apart, however in certain instances.
1) If a person is on a reduced caloric diet it does not mean that they require less protein, and
2) They are sick or healing and their body requires an increased amount of protein regardless of their caloric intake.

In the above two instances, a more suitable measure of protein intake is to base the protein intake (in grams) upon the total body weight of the individual.
Several sources indicate that a good measure is to multiply the bodyweight in pounds by 0.37 (or kilograms * .8), and set this as the minimum daily protein requirement for the individual.
In the case of healing, the body is going to require even more protein, so it is advised to multiply that minimum value by 1.50

I weight 180 lbs and am healing from my surgeries.
This means that my minimum protein intake should be 180 * .37 = ~66 grams
Plus since I am healing ... 66 * 1.5 = ~100 grams/day of protein ... minimum.

This happens to work out to exactly 20% of a 2000 calorie daliy consumption for me, but for a heavier person or one who is not consuming that level of calories, the amount of protein being consumed starts to drop off even though there is a need for that amount for the body to maintain itself or to heal.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Yes, this seems to give some scientific evidence to why the Atkins diet and other low carb diets work. I know from my own experience that eating more protein leads to greater satisfaction and a longer interval until I feel hungry again.
The problem with the Atkins diet as opposed to portion control and eating 'healthier foods' is that once you go on a high protein diet, you need to keep on it. If you go back to a regular diet higher in carbs and other, chances are that weight comes back (something about how the body is burning the energy?). SO protien diet, while effective, is also a lifestyle change......well, I suppose so is portion control and eating healthy foods.

Last edited:
T

twilyth

SO protien diet, while effective, is also a lifestyle change......well, and so is portion control and eating healthy foods.

Precisely. But I want to keep emphasizing, that the changes you need to make are small and pleasant. It doesn't have to be a struggle. You just have to be smart about it. Do everything slowly, deliberately and when you backslide a little, enjoy it. Don't beat yourself up.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
Protein consumption as a percentage of total caloric intake (ie. 10-20%) has been used for years by nutritionists, especially in gyms and other exercise facilities. This is by and large, a reasonable method for healthy active person, especially when strength training, as it means higher caloric cunsumption means more protein consumption.

This method fall apart, however in certain instances.
1) If a person is on a reduced caloric diet it does not mean that they require less protein, and
2) They are sick or healing and their body requires an increased amount of protein regardless of their caloric intake.

In the above two instances, a more suitable measure of protein intake is to base the protein intake (in grams) upon the total body weight of the individual.
Several sources indicate that a good measure is to multiply the bodyweight in pounds by 0.37 (or kilograms * .8), and set this as the minimum daily protein requirement for the individual.
In the case of healing, the body is going to require even more protein, so it is advised to multiply that minimum value by 1.50

I weight 180 lbs and am healing from my surgeries.
This means that my minimum protein intake should be 180 * .37 = ~66 grams
Plus since I am healing ... 66 * 1.5 = ~100 grams/day of protein ... minimum.

This happens to work out to exactly 20% of a 2000 calorie daliy consumption for me, but for a heavier person or one who is not consuming that level of calories, the amount of protein being consumed starts to drop off even though there is a need for that amount for the body to maintain itself or to heal.

Cool, I was expecting some numbnut to start spouting crap about 3-4g/kg requirements. What you posted is spot on mate. :toast:

Also, when folk diet, protein increase is required as the body goes catabolic and 'eats itself'. In that instance the protein is to maintain lean body tissue. That's why you should always pick a fight with a body builder one day before competition, their severe dieting and carb depletion leaves them very weak.

ps - wish you a good recovery kreij!

Last edited:

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
Exercise. Jared didn't lose weight be eating Subway. He lost it because we walked 7 miles one way to Subway. That's 14 miles a day. He could have eaten a bucket of KFC and still lost the weight.

I lost 60lbs one summer just cutting out soda and running 45 minutes every night. Still ate like an Ox.

Precisely. But I want to keep emphasizing, that the changes you need to make are small and pleasant. It doesn't have to be a struggle. You just have to be smart about it. Do everything slowly, deliberately and when you backslide a little, enjoy it. Don't beat yourself up.
I just believe its easier, as I have had personal success when I needed to trim 10-20, to lower portions of the foods Im eating, than it is to completely change my diet and get rid of/minimize starches in my diet.

Portion control and excersise... Its not rocket science. :)

I heard drinking a pint of water and still finishing your whole meal can make you feel less hungry. I favour a balanced diet, im not going to eat lean steaks all the time adn you need some carbs to slowly release energy.

Cheese and cream are good for you now? Marty Feldman was a vegetarian and had a high dairy content diet and died of a heart attack. Rather than Atkins i think people here are referencing a high protein, low fat, moderate to low carb diet; Atkins is just Protein and FAT FAT FAT.

The fact that Feldmen reportedly smoked like 4-6 packs of smokes a day couldnt have anything to do with it... could it? :p

Last edited:
T

twilyth

I heard drinking a pint of water and still finishing your whole meal can make you feel less hungry. I favour a balanced diet, im not going to eat lean steaks all the time adn you need some carbs to slowly release energy.

Cheese and cream are good for you now? Marty Feldman was a vegetarian and had a high dairy content diet and died of a heart attack. Rather than Atkins i think people here are referencing a high protein, low fat, moderate to low carb diet; Atkins is just Protein and FAT FAT FAT.

That's a fair point. I wouldn't do it either. My dad was a normal weight even though he ate all sort of fried, fatty foods. And at that time, people didn't know from vegetable oils. You cooked in lard. But the downside was that he died of a massive heart attack at 40.

Carbs aren't the spawn of Satan. The problem is that a Western diet has a huge abundance of refined carbs. These hit your pancreas like a sledge hammer and make it work double time to control the blood glucose spike you would get otherwise. You also end up feeling hungry sooner.

This is what I mean by 'smart choices.' If you like carbs and you're getting enough of the other nutrients you need, that's cool. All you have to do is choose complex carbs over the refined kind. These take longer to be broken down and absorbed so you're not standing in front of the refrigerator 2 hours later looking for a snack. Same number of calories, but a completely different affect on your body.

Last edited by a moderator:
Processor Core i7 920
Motherboard Asus P6T v2
Cooling Noctua D-14
Memory OCZ Gold 1600
Video Card(s) Powercolor PCS+ 5870
Storage Samsung SpinPoint F3 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung LE-B530 37" TV
Case Lian Li PC-B25F
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower 700w
Software Windows 7 64-bit
Just swallow a tapeworm and be done with dieting forever.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
imho peoples idea of what hungry is is retarded, were not that long moved on from being cave men, the afternoon and after eating lull proves this, do you honestly think that back in the day a caveman didnt often just man up grin and bare being hungry a few hours, soft asses

my own idea of eating isnt healthy i mostly eat rubbish and occasionally veg certainly not five a day or week some weeks but i am and have allways been 11.5-11.10 stone for years, and my reasoning is eat only what you need to live ,dont comfort eat and dont go spending 10-12hrs a night in bed watching telly etc or you Will get a fat ass simples, stay awake a lot and do something for gods sake , and i dont mean go gym permenantly , im up till 2am every night strummin (my guitar mostly;)) or pc tunein still up by 8 every day and so be it if im tired ,tuff i will be anyway lots of the time deal with it

imho peoples idea of what hungry is is retarded, were not that long moved on from being cave men, the afternoon and after eating lull proves this, do you honestly think that back in the day a caveman didnt often just man up grin and bare being hungry a few hours, soft asses

my own idea of eating isnt healthy i mostly eat rubbish and occasionally veg certainly not five a day or week some weeks but i am and have allways been 11.5-11.10 stone for years, and my reasoning is eat only what you need to live ,dont comfort eat and dont go spending 10-12hrs a night in bed watching telly etc or you Will get a fat ass simples, stay awake a lot and do something for gods sake , and i dont mean go gym permenantly , im up till 2am every night strummin (my guitar mostly;)) or pc tunein still up by 8 every day and so be it if im tired ,tuff i will be anyway lots of the time deal with it
...in english this means: Portion control and excersise... Its not rocket science.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
I eat because I'm sad and I'm sad because I eat. AHHHHHHHHH

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
...in english this means: Portion control and excersise... Its not rocket science.

grammer tart ,stop it:p

it might interest you to know that some people, possibly due to them being strange, dont care for proper english, i myself am so rebeliouse that i cant even be assed speakin right never mind typeing right and it gets harder to type as the night and doobs:pimp:, roll on that avatar isnt for nothin mate:D:pimp:<

The_Ish

Processor Intel i7 2600K
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V Pro
Cooling Corsair H60
Memory 12GB Corsair Dominator 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 580 DirectCU II
Storage Corsair F120 SSD +9,5TB storage
Display(s) Dell U2410
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
Software Win 7 x64
Benchmark Scores I only care about practical performance.
Strictly speaking, all diets work/do not work. It all comes down to calories.
Also note that i'm speaking about WEIGHT here. Not any special kind of weight (bodyfat).
For that, you want high protein, resistance training and a calorie deficit. That's it.

If you dispute that, nobody can help you.. The only thing hindering you to lose weight is in your head. The precentage of people who have actual physical ailments that hinder them from losing weight are miniscule, and often used as an excuse for lazyness and/or lack of patience.

Truth!