• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Anno 2070's Draconian DRM: Ubisoft Loosens Restrictions. Slightly

Most of you are missing the point.

People shouldn't have to contact Ubisoft to be permitted to use the software they purchased. The DRM is needlessly restrictive which tells me that Ubisoft is completely out of touch with consumers.

Reactions: w3b

People shouldn't have to contact Ubisoft to be permitted to use the software they purchased. The DRM is needlessly restrictive which tells me that Ubisoft is completely out of touch with consumers.

The user didn't not purchase the software. He purchased a license which allows him to use the software in a manner agreed by both parties, e.g. EULA and/or TOS.

The user didn't not purchase the software. He purchased a license which allows him to use the software in a manner agreed by both parties, e.g. EULA and/or TOS.

Thanks, give yourself a gold sticker for the needless correction.

My point is not a question of law but rather a question of business practices.

Processor Core i7 920
Motherboard Asus P6T v2
Cooling Noctua D-14
Memory OCZ Gold 1600
Video Card(s) Powercolor PCS+ 5870
Storage Samsung SpinPoint F3 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung LE-B530 37" TV
Case Lian Li PC-B25F
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower 700w
Software Windows 7 64-bit
Moreover, EULA's are not etched in stone and a court of law may deem them to be abusive and therefore null and void.

gorg_graggel

System Name erm...people actually give names to their systems?
Processor Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard Asus Sabertooth Z77
Cooling Alpenföhn Brocken
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws 2x8GB DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 WindForce 3X
Storage 1 OCZ Vertex3 MaxIO 120GB, 1 Samsung 830 256GB, 1 Samsung F1 1TB, 1 Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB
Display(s) Samsung T260
Case Coolermaster HAF 932
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply OCZ Fatality 550W
I will help them get through to you, or try to I can assume..

We don't like it period.

Was that clear enough or?

I want to be able to change my shit in my,,, pc when ever I feel like it and not run out of activations period.

I want to be able to play my game for ever and ever for eternity if I feel a need to.

I would like you to get the f, out of my life, after I buy, the title.

I think that sums it up in a couple more ways for you sir.

Also, stop charging us for garbage add-ons if that's what you want to call them and let the community mod again like it used to be. Just make the game run correctly which is why I pay you at the beginning.

just for the record...

i'm not part of the gaming industry and i don't get why you attack me in that way...
i just answered one guys question and added some inside info, because i happen to know a few people on the inside and felt it was important to say that mistakes tend to be taken out of context to suit people's need to bitch...

Who the hell cares about Ubi$oft. If you are against DRM then you don't acknowledge existence of those thieves. If you want to play then there is simply no point bitching about it. Deal with it or stand against DRM mafia. It is simple choice.

Be a man/woman, don't support Ubi, Steam or any other DRM Stalinism.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64

Not needlessly, it serves a purpose and does it very well.

Windows users should have to either by your logic, but that is how software works. Activation limits prevent one person from giving it to all of their friends. It doesn't stop experienced pirates, and it isn't meant to, it is designed to stop casual pirates.

Then make your own stuff and don't rely on anyone.
A customer is nothing more than a wallet with legs. and I'm quite confident that you are not one.

but whatever, everyone is the center of the universe and they can complain about anything and everything.

I said I pay you initially, so why the heck are you complaining?

Why did you just automatically resort to snide remarks about my character?

Shows lack of education IMO.

I'm a college Graduate and a Father of three, and a Husband. I work in the I.T. industry. I own a house a car. I pay my bills on time every month.

Don't assume anything about people you don't know. It makes you look very UN-educated.

Not needlessly, it serves a purpose and does it very well.

Windows users should have to either by your logic, but that is how software works. Activation limits prevent one person from giving it to all of their friends. It doesn't stop experienced pirates, and it isn't meant to, it is designed to stop casual pirates.

Actually this is so not true. They've " Microsoft " has heard from me numerous times in the past because I do upgrade parts allot and I haven't had an activation fail me on my copy of Windows 7 64bit Ultimate once and I have activated it massive amounts at this point, massive.

I don't know if this is how it is for everyone, or just me because they see my history with upgrading all the time.. None the less I haven't had to talk to them in a long time. I can't even remember the last time.

just for the record...

i'm not part of the gaming industry and i don't get why you attack me in that way...
i just answered one guys question and added some inside info, because i happen to know a few people on the inside and felt it was important to say that mistakes tend to be taken out of context to suit people's need to bitch...

No one wants to talk to your insider " friends " at all, after paying, for the game, once!

Sorry but you acted like an industry muse so I started talking to you like one.

Also sorry about the double post, normally i would have multi-quoted.

Last edited:

gorg_graggel

Processor Intel i7 3770K
Storage 1 OCZ Vertex3 MaxIO 120GB, 1 Samsung 830 256GB, 1 Samsung F1 1TB, 1 Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB
Display(s) Samsung T260
Audio Device(s) Onboard
well, if you work in the it industry it should be pretty common to to you to need to contact support...why should it be any different in the games industry?

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
well, if you work in the it industry it should be pretty common to to you to need to contact support...why should it be any different in the games industry?

There's quite a big difference. If your PC goes wrong, then obviously you must contact support. However, this is DRM that's being imposed on you, so it's totally different. If Ubisoft implemented their activation in the same way as Microsoft does, then I'd have much less of a problem with it. I'll second Newtekie's post that he's activated many times without having to speak to anyone. At the most, you have to do an automated activation over the phone. While it's not the most convenient and you have to enter some long numbers into the phone and the PC, a little patience pays off in you getting your activation code.

However, the most ridiculous thing about Ubisoft's DRM, is that it's implemented within the Steam framework, which is itself account-based DRM and works very well. So, what's their problem with it? They're basically saying that Steam isn't good enough for them and making the customer put up with two DRM schemes in parallel. That's not on in my book and is why I won't buy this game, regardless of how good it is.

Actually this is so not true. They've " Microsoft " has heard from me numerous times in the past because I do upgrade parts allot and I haven't had an activation fail me on my copy of Windows 7 64bit Ultimate once and I have activated it massive amounts at this point, massive.

I don't know if this is how it is for everyone, or just me because they see my history with upgrading all the time.. None the less I haven't had to talk to them in a long time. I can't even remember the last time.

Read the quote from my self that was right above your post.

gorg_graggel

Processor Intel i7 3770K
Display(s) Samsung T260
Audio Device(s) Onboard
well, i have to constantly call other companies about licensing stuff.
especially microsoft is very "special" in terms of business licensing models.
it's ridiculous how much fuss it causes to get information out of them...or even between how much people you have to be transfered on the phone until you get the answers you need...
granted, their normal home customers have much less difficulty. but ms makes most of their money in the business category. and i think it's the primary "target audience" that should be compared here. you have a limited amount of free calls and then you have to pay money to actually get an answer from them.
also ms has much more resources and can take care of automated systems much more easily.
they actually have training courses to train people in understanding their licensing model...

so long story short...ms is not the right company to make a comparison here...

edit: and to get out of this discussion...my free time is precious and because my internet connection was unstable over the weekend i couldn't spend my time in swtor. i'm gonna stop worrying about other peoples opinions, which i will now do for the rest of the evening. feel free to join me on the server "tott doneeta"...
i don't like drm, but i understand the need for it...there have been overstepped boundaries and mistakes are constantly being made. and this applies to both sides.
as long as there are people out there who don't give a shit about behaving as idealistic, as users of a tech enthusiast site unsurprinsingly do, there will be the need for drm, period...

Last edited:
well, i have to constantly call other companies about licensing stuff.
especially microsoft is very "special" in terms of business licensing models.
it's ridiculous how much fuss it causes to get information out of them...or even between how much people you have to be transfered on the phone until you get the answers you need...
granted, their normal home customers have much less difficulty. but ms makes most of their money in the business category. and i think it's the primary "target audience" that should be compared here. you have a limited amount of free calls and then you have to pay money to actually get an answer from them.
also ms has much more resources and can take care of automated systems much more easily.

so long story short...ms is not the right company to make a comparison here...

The company that I work for is Cisco Gold certified and a Microsoft Gold partner and I don't remember ever having to reach out to them while imaging laptops for every one, or desktops or servers for that matter now I think of it. I have to talk to Cisco more.

I call shenanigans.

gorg_graggel

Processor Intel i7 3770K
Display(s) Samsung T260
Audio Device(s) Onboard
well surprise...different people, different experiences...

plz stop calling me a liar thank you...

edit: last comment, i promise... :p

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64

Buy an OEM copy and have some fun then, because I've had a few of my Win7 OEM keys blacklisted already because I've upgraded too many times and moved it to too many computer. But that is the idea of an OEM key, it is for one computer only, retail keys don't have the restriction of limited activations and will auto reactivate after an upgrade. Though I have had to call the toll free number to do it.

The company that I work for is Cisco Gold certified and a Microsoft Gold partner and I don't remember ever having to reach out to them while imaging laptops for every one, or desktops or servers for that matter now I think of it. I have to talk to Cisco more.

I call shenanigans.

It is called Volume Licensing, look it up.

Last edited:
Buy an OEM copy and have some fun then, because I've had a few of my Win7 OEM keys blacklisted already because I've upgraded too many times and moved it to too many computer. But that is the idea of an OEM key, it is for one computer only, retail keys don't have the restriction of limited activations and will auto reactivate after an upgrade. Though I have had to call the toll free number to do it.

It is called Volume Licensing, look it up.

Been down the oem ROAD every single time since Windows ME.

Yes it is, yes it is. I don't really need to look it up to be honest with you.

You can all take turns sticking up for the corporate masters like sheep or break with the ones that follow so to say.

I said I pay you initially, so why the heck are you complaining?

Why did you just automatically resort to snide remarks about my character?

Shows lack of education IMO.

I'm a college Graduate and a Father of three, and a Husband. I work in the I.T. industry. I own a house a car. I pay my bills on time every month.

Don't assume anything about people you don't know. It makes you look very UN-educated.

Did you or did you not purchase an end-user license for Anno 2070?

Yes: Complain all you want, but you are still just a wallet with legs to Ubi.
No: then why are you complaining?

Why don't you open your eyes to the reality? Digital data is nothing like real world objects. The inevitable future is that everything needs to be online, are uniquely identifiable and tied to your name, which must be verified to be a real one.

oh and BTW I'm a dirty illegal immigrant from Mehico, now stealing your jobs and women in the Glorious Amerika. It's completely true. :roll:

Processor Intel i7-10700k
Motherboard Gigabyte Aurorus Ultra z490
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200MHz
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming Trio X 3070 LHR
Display(s) ASUS MG278Q / AOC G2590FX
Case Corsair X4000 iCue
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM650x 650W Fully Modular
Software Windows 10
I've said it dozens of times and I'll keep saying it--The only people hurt by DRM are legitimate customers.

ebolamonkey3

System Name Norbert
Processor Intel Core i7 920
Motherboard Gigabyte X58A-UD5
Cooling Corsair H50 with 2x Scythe GT AP-14
Memory 3x 2gb G.Skill 1600Mhz C9 DDR3
Video Card(s) MSI Twin Frozr II GTX 465 GE & EVGA GTS 450 SC
Storage 2x 1Tb Samsung Sprinpoint F3 7200rpm
Display(s) Dell U3011, Dell 2408WFP, Samsung 2693HM
Case Lian Li V1020R
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium
Power Supply Seasonic X-750
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
I guess I'll just get this on Steam when they have it on sale for $5.

Processor Core i5 4690K @ 3.5 GHz \\ C2Q Q6600 @ 3.4 GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 3 SLI \\ Asus P5K Deluxe
Cooling Thermaltake Water 3.0 Performer \\ Xigmatek Dark Knight
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 2x 4GB \\ Corsair XMS2 2x 2 GB
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE GTX 970 G1 Gaming v1.1 (Hynix) \\ Sapphire HD 6850
Storage Kingston SV200, 3 TB Seagate 7200.14 \\ 2x 320 GB WD Blue
Display(s) LG 24MP56HQ
Case Corsair Carbide 200R Windowed \\ CM 690
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150 \\ Audigy 2 ZS
Power Supply Adata HM850 \\ Corsair HX520
Mouse Logitech G602, SteelSeries Sensei Raw Frostblue, Corsair M65
Keyboard Logitech Media Keyboard Elite
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 \\ Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Okay, what if you need to diagnose a PC problem yourself by removing ram modules, videocards, harddrives, switching soundcard/lan card to an other PCI/PCI-E slot because an irq conflict etc. vice versa? All these, I believe, will be detected as hardware changes. And now you can't use Anno 2070 to test processors (e.g. the threaded performance of different Intel or/and AMD processors in the game) or to test different brand ram and/or SSD to see how much impact they have on loading time in Anno 2070 and so on.

I wouldn't buy such game with so many restrictions for 50 Euros or USD. Now it's looks more like a rental because the DRM implemented service with intrusive restrictions and all, so the price needs to be lower, the actual rental price. After all, Ubisoft will stop the service for this game after several years, so no DLC, no support, no patches etc.; why buy a game that you probably can not play after a few years, unless Ubisoft is unlocking the games, or you will have to re-buy a DRM-free version, I guess.