• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How to enable additional shaders on Radeon HD 6950

Status
Not open for further replies.

SplifPolitics

may i ask if you're card had a dual bios? because it's not a reference card and we all know that there are really small chances on unlocking or flashing those card..can give me the procedure on how did you do it?

Ye, I do have a dual bios.

Well, I tried three different ways on unlocking:
The first was saving my current bios with Winflash and then edit the shaders with RBE and then flash with RBE/winflash.
The other one was to flash a 6970 bios with RBE/Winflash.
the las one was to flash a modded bios of my original with the batch file that Wizzard posted (which is the same as the first method).

I had two result:
First, When unlocking the shaders of my original bios with RBE after the reboot GPU-Z show 1408 shaders (nothing changed) but in RBE it's ticked on 6970 shaders (lol?).
Second, When flashing a 6970 bios the pc stuck on the pre MB bios; black screen-no beeps.

swchoi89

Processor i5-3570K
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V LK
Cooling CoolerMaster 212+ Hyper
Memory Ripjaw G-Skill 2x 4GB 9-9-9-16
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 670 FTW
Storage OCZ Vertex 3 240GB
Display(s) Samsung 27'' LED
Case NZXT Lexa S
Power Supply OCZ 850W Modular
Software Windows 7 64Bit Professional
Hi,

I followed your instructions (using the package that you created for less experienced user) on my MSI Radeon HD 6950 Twin Froze OC II. Now my card is not functioning and seems like the BIOS is messed up. Any tips?

chan1600

I changed my MSI R6950's shaders to 1536 Unified.
And, I tried to restart the computer is work with 1536 Unified.

However, I don't see any option to change the GPU clock more than 840MHz

Did I success to change the 6950 to 6970 yet?

swchoi89

Processor i5-3570K
Case NZXT Lexa S

manofthem

WCG-TPU Team All-Star!
Processor 3900X @ 4.0
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E
Cooling DeepCool Castle 360EX
Memory G Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600
Video Card(s) RX 5700 XT Pulse
Storage Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB
Display(s) LG 34UC88
Case Thermaltake P3
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III 750w
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard G Skill KM570 MX Silver
Software Windows 10 Pro
I changed my MSI R6950's shaders to 1536 Unified.
And, I tried to restart the computer is work with 1536 Unified.
http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/12/01/19/2dx.png

However, I don't see any option to change the GPU clock more than 840MHz

http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l344/chan1600/TEST.jpg

Did I success to change the 6950 to 6970 yet?

Looks like it's a modded 6950 bios according to the clock speeds and your post. Unlocking shaders only unlocks the shaders. Use MSI Afterburner to overclock. Edit the user cfg file to allow "unofficial overclocking" to set clocks much higher, and in the settings options, you can allow voltage control and monitoring. Don't worry about using CCC to change clocks from there on out.

Hi,

I followed your instructions (using the package that you created for less experienced user) on my MSI Radeon HD 6950 Twin Froze OC II. Now my card is not functioning and seems like the BIOS is messed up. Any tips?

If you don't have a bios switch on your card, and your card won't boot at all, use another video card in your first pcie slot and throw your "dead" in second pcie slot. Flash it back to default bios, but using the different pcie slot number (0 for primary pcie and 1 for second pcie)

Last edited:

swchoi89

Processor i5-3570K
Case NZXT Lexa S
Looks like it's a modded 6950 bios according to the clock speeds and your post. Unlocking shaders only unlocks the shaders. Use MSI Afterburner to overclock. Edit the user cfg file to allow "unofficial overclocking" to set clocks much higher, and in the settings options, you can allow voltage control and monitoring. Don't worry about using CCC to change clocks from there on out.

If you don't have a bios switch on your card, and your card won't boot at all, use another video card in your first pcie slot and throw your "dead" in second pcie slot. Flash it back to default bios, but using the different pcie slot number (0 for primary pcie and 1 for second pcie)

Thanks for the reply. If you could further clarify for me, that would be great.

Now I'm scared how to flash anything at all...

So i have a spare radeon 5770 that I can use. At the same time, I have the file that has "flash to 6950". So how would I know if i run that program will apply to my second slot (the "dead" one)? In other words, what is the trick using GPU-Z or whatever to help me flash ONLY the "dead" one?

My second question would be... seems like I might run out of cables for the cards. Do both cards require that they are plugged in to the power supply? For example, 5770 has one 6pin slot whereas 6950 has 2. would my computer recognize that 6950 is plugged in without the 6pins?

Again, thank you very much!

chan1600

Thank you, man!!
I try to find out how to edit cfg. Thank you so much :rockout:

chan1600

OK .... Work now...!:D
Thank you so much!:roll:

chan1600

Tested by Heaven DX11 Benchmark 2.5.
I have to improve the Core Voltage to more than 1100 and run well.

Amfidiusz

[--SOLVED--]

Hey,

I tried to unlock additional shaders using RBE application to switch bios on my Asus HD6950 DCII. Unfortunatelly, due to lack of experience I managed to mess something up and now have troubles in flashing the card with the original bios copy. A few facs of how it behaves now:

- Windows 7 will not start at all - I get a BSOD after the welcome screen.
- Windows starts in safe mode but none of the tools seem to work.
- My card is not referential one so I don't have a dual bios switch.
- After creating a bootable USB stick with atiflash 3.60 on it, I get an error 0FL101 Adapter not found
- I got just one pci-e slot on my motherboard.

Is there any other way to flash it with a working bios? Maybe some other tool loaded on the USB stick? Is there any chance I will get this card working again?

I hope you'll be able to help me :)

[--/SOLVED--]

OK, seems like the old atiflash utility didn't recognize a newer card. In fact, I was convinced I had to use version 3.60 as it had bootable files instead of just exe file in 3.89. Apparently, atiflash.exe works from USB key smoothly and I was finally able to flash my card.

But there is always a bright point - I finally was forced to create an account here after several last weeks of just reading your articles and tutorials :)

Last edited:

manofthem

WCG-TPU Team All-Star!
Processor 3900X @ 4.0
Display(s) LG 34UC88
Case Thermaltake P3
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
Thank you, man!!
I try to find out how to edit cfg. Thank you so much :rockout:

I don't know if you figured out how to do it yet, but if not, you can look here:
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=327291

[--SOLVED--]

Hey,

I tried to unlock additional shaders using RBE application to switch bios on my Asus HD6950 DCII. Unfortunatelly, due to lack of experience I managed to mess something up and now have troubles in flashing the card with the original bios copy. A few facs of how it behaves now:

- After creating a bootable USB stick with atiflash 3.60 on it, I get an error 0FL101 Adapter not found

Is there any other way to flash it with a working bios? Maybe some other tool loaded on the USB stick? Is there any chance I will get this card working again?

[--/SOLVED--]

OK, seems like the old atiflash utility didn't recognize a newer card. In fact, I was convinced I had to use version 3.60 as it had bootable files instead of just exe file in 3.89. Apparently, atiflash.exe works from USB key smoothly and I was finally able to flash my card.

But there is always a bright point - I finally was forced to create an account here after several last weeks of just reading your articles and tutorials :)

Good job on solving it :toast:
Hopefully you'll get that 6950 unlocked. Try it again, just not the same way as the first time.

System Name i5Panther
Processor Intel i5 760 @ 4Ghz (Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B)
Motherboard ASUS P7H55
Cooling Front: 1x140mm, Left Side: 1x140mm Right Side: 1x80mm, Rear: 120mm Top: 2x140mm, Bottom: 2x120mm
Memory Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB DC DDR3 PC12800 @1600Mhz
Video Card(s) XFX AMD Radeon HD 6950 (Unlocked Shaders, 880/1375)
Storage Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB 32MB/Wester Digital Caviar Green 1TB 64MB
Display(s) Iiyama E2002WS-B1 20"
Case Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic (Logitech X-530 5.1)
Power Supply Corsair ModXStream Pro 700w
Software Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
Benchmark Scores P6040 - 3DMark11
[--SOLVED--]

Hey,

[--/SOLVED--]

Welcome :toast:

chropose

Texture Units & SIMD.

Does unlocking shaders with RBE also unlocks texture units and SIMD as well (88 to 96 for texture units and 22 to 24 for SIMD) ?

Thanks.

fausto412

I have an engineering sample.

I have an AMD Engineering sample 6950. what are my chances to flash it to 6970 speeds. anybody have any luck?

How can I tell what brand my card is in the bios? will GPU-Z tell me?

I believe the date on the label on the outside is December 2010

Which bios are you guys all using?

sildar

System Name uATX SFF Gaming Rig
Processor AMD Phenom II X6 1100T BE
Motherboard MSI 890GXM-G65
Cooling Silverstone NT06-E + Scythe SY1212SL12H
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1333 4GB x4
Video Card(s) XFX HD-695X-ZNFC Radeon HD 6950 1GB
Storage Intel 320 Series 40GB SATA2 MLC SSD + Seagate ST3 1TB 7200rpm SATA2 HDD
Case Lian-Li PC-V351B
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair Professional Series Gold AX850
I have an AMD Engineering sample 6950. what are my chances to flash it to 6970 speeds. anybody have any luck?

How can I tell what brand my card is in the bios? will GPU-Z tell me?

That should be a reference card, so you should have an easier time flashing to a 6970 BIOS if that's what you choose to do. You're better off modding your BIOS with RBE, though.

And if it's an engineering sample, the brand should be AMD, shouldn't it?

fausto412

That should be a reference card, so you should have an easier time flashing to a 6970 BIOS if that's what you choose to do. You're better off modding your BIOS with RBE, though.

And if it's an engineering sample, the brand should be AMD, shouldn't it?

I will try the flashing the BIOS. what's the benefit with RBE? how will i know if that will work?

My 6990 engineering sample has Sapphire branding on the bios.

I was trying to crossfire the 6950 with the 6990 but the system wouldn't always see the 6950 or both the 6990's. I ran into problems with that. I also couldn't enable cross fire on 3 gpu's, never figured out how. Hoping that flashing to 6970 allows me to crossfire with 6990 and downclock to keep power demands under control as my PSU is a Corsair AX850 which is pretty good but top TDP for both these cards is pretty darn high for it. I figure i could Powertune it -20% and I should be good.

I could also just game with the 6950 or modded 6950 if it provides a better BF3 experience. I read that 3 gpu's gets rid of stuttering which I have a lot of with the 6990.

sildar

System Name uATX SFF Gaming Rig
Processor AMD Phenom II X6 1100T BE
Motherboard MSI 890GXM-G65
Cooling Silverstone NT06-E + Scythe SY1212SL12H
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1333 4GB x4
Video Card(s) XFX HD-695X-ZNFC Radeon HD 6950 1GB
Storage Intel 320 Series 40GB SATA2 MLC SSD + Seagate ST3 1TB 7200rpm SATA2 HDD
Case Lian-Li PC-V351B
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair Professional Series Gold AX850
I will try the flashing the BIOS. what's the benefit with RBE? how will i know if that will work?

My 6990 engineering sample has Sapphire branding on the bios.

I was trying to crossfire the 6950 with the 6990 but the system wouldn't always see the 6950 or both the 6990's. I ran into problems with that. I also couldn't enable cross fire on 3 gpu's, never figured out how. Hoping that flashing to 6970 allows me to crossfire with 6990 and downclock to keep power demands under control as my PSU is a Corsair AX850 which is pretty good but top TDP for both these cards is pretty darn high for it. I figure i could Powertune it -20% and I should be good.

I could also just game with the 6950 or modded 6950 if it provides a better BF3 experience. I read that 3 gpu's gets rid of stuttering which I have a lot of with the 6990.

The guide lays out the basics of RBE, and the software has good documentation. There's lots of info in this thread, as well. Basically, instead of downloading and flashing a 6970 BIOS to your 6950 card, it's much more stable to use RBE to download the BIOS from your card, modify it to unlock your shaders (and perhaps modify the powertune limits), and re-flash the modded BIOS to your card.

I can't give you advice on CF with your 6990, or with 3xCF. Maybe someone else can.

onehans

oh well i did flash than i did flash back to original state but i still get occasional artefacts in fire fox browser :? i guess i damaged card a bit :/

xcorp

Processor 2600k @ 4.7ghz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68 Pro
Cooling Hyper 212
Memory G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Diamond 6950
Storage Vertex 3 120gb
Display(s) 3x Asus VW266H (Eyefinity!)
Case Antec 900
Audio Device(s) Xfi Fatality Titanium
Power Supply CORSAIR TX750 V2
So I just flashed my card (Diamond) with the Diamond 6970 bios. Everything went well and the clock speed is set to 880/1375, but I only have 1408 shaders. I loaded the Bios into RBE, but the Shaders unlock part is greyed out. Any suggestions on what to do?

manofthem

WCG-TPU Team All-Star!
Processor 3900X @ 4.0
Display(s) LG 34UC88
Case Thermaltake P3
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
So I just flashed my card (Diamond) with the Diamond 6970 bios. Everything went well and the clock speed is set to 880/1375, but I only have 1408 shaders. I loaded the Bios into RBE, but the Shaders unlock part is greyed out. Any suggestions on what to do?

Perhaps reinstall drivers. Same thing happened to me last year when I flashed and shaders didn't indicate 1536 right away.

xcorp

Processor 2600k @ 4.7ghz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68 Pro
Cooling Hyper 212
Memory G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Diamond 6950
Storage Vertex 3 120gb
Display(s) 3x Asus VW266H (Eyefinity!)
Case Antec 900
Audio Device(s) Xfi Fatality Titanium
Power Supply CORSAIR TX750 V2
I just went back to the stock bios because BF3 kept locking up my whole computer after 15 mts of gameplay.

ramguerra

Trying to Unlock

Hey guys. I have a Diamond 6950 reference card seen here and I have tried to unlock the shaders. I was able to load different BIOS to it, but none will unlock. I am able to load the Diamond one from the links posted, but all I get is the overclock and not the unlock. Even RBE shows the option to unlock the shaders, but when I do and push the new bios in, It still shows the 1408 shaders. Any Ideas?

manofthem

WCG-TPU Team All-Star!
Processor 3900X @ 4.0
Display(s) LG 34UC88
Case Thermaltake P3
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
Hey guys. I have a Diamond 6950 reference card seen here and I have tried to unlock the shaders. I was able to load different BIOS to it, but none will unlock. I am able to load the Diamond one from the links posted, but all I get is the overclock and not the unlock. Even RBE shows the option to unlock the shaders, but when I do and push the new bios in, It still shows the 1408 shaders. Any Ideas?

Did you try reinstalling the drivers?

manofthem

WCG-TPU Team All-Star!
Processor 3900X @ 4.0
Display(s) LG 34UC88
Case Thermaltake P3