• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Asus HD6950 Direct CU II - Unlocking!

beamer145

Thats what CCC spits out,the funny thing was that when i flashed it i used the switch in the position away from the crossfire bridge and when i ran the bios through RBE somehow the tick that said that this bios had been modded before was checked????,

I have also seen this.
I think RBE really misinterpretates the bioses from the newer cards (with the 4 at position 7 (sjeeses, how many times have I already typed this ???) ).
If you looked at the selection between 6950 or 6970 shaders, is would have been at 6950 though (when using the original bios).
Some remarks :
- Don't use RBE for your bios, i think it will be incorrectly modding it. Use w1zzards php script.
- I don't think you will be able to unlock your shaders even after doing the bios mod correctly (join the club)

I have it paired with a Powercolor 6950 (also unlocked) the only funny thing is that now i cant seem to be able to use the overdrive or control any or the options they just reset to 0 in the catalyst center (could be from using crossfire although the controls dont work even if i disable it) furmark works ok, and battlefield 3 hasnt crashed or anything.

You say 'also unlocked' ... implying that you think you unlocked your asus DCII. Are you sure about this ? Did you check with GPUZ ?
Sorry, I have no experience with crossfire setups so I won't be able to help (but if you sponsor me for an extra card I am willing to have a look > : ) )

BTW B9 CVCM111530 : Thats a *huge* difference with the other 2 B9 serials we have so far (CVCM020XXX).
Somehow I don't think asus produced a 110.000 of these boards ... maybe different production facilities get different ranges ?

Last edited:
It also unlocked with the php script, i guess i joined the other club :)
im going to test the overdrive setting now.

edit: still not working

beamer145

It also unlocked with the php script, i guess i joined the other club :)
im going to test the overdrive setting now.

edit: still not working

Sorry that i ask it again, but you mean that if you check with GPUZ after a powercycle you see that you have 1536 shaders (and not just that the script says 'modding successfull' (or something like that) )?
If so, can you open your original bios in eg hxd and copy paste eg the first 16 bytes ?

Because that would mean the B8/B9 SN difference is not a good means to determine unlockability :(.

AZONIC[rus]

Processor Q9550
Motherboard Asus P5K-E/WiFi
Cooling Zalman
Memory Corsair + OCZ = 6Gb
Video Card(s) Asus EAH6950 DirectCuII 2Gb
Display(s) Samsung
Case Thermaltake
Power Supply Silverstone 600W
Software Windows 7 64bit
no beamer, I am sure one of these bioses is my original.
What is the difference between your & my bios?
My first attempt was to mod my own bios. Before that I saved my original. The date f file is 28/11. It is original.
Anyway, my card is working fine.
NEX - we need your modded and original bios here. Could you upload?

UPD: my Original is the same as Ginnoskie Original...
and now, after flashing with his modded it is the same as his modded:) (really parallel realty:) )

Last edited:

beamer145

no beamer, I am sure one of these bioses is my original.
What is the difference between your & my bios?
My first attempt was to mod my own bios. Before that I saved my original. The date f file is 28/11. It is original.

The difference is in bytes 0x0007, 0xDE39, 0xDE7A, 0xDE7E , see a few post back where I made the list.

The logic I use to get to my conclusion is:

[Step1]: In the files you uploaded, there is no way that you can get from your original(2).bin to your modRBE.bin using the RBE or w1zzard php tools.

(you can try this for ourself, if you do find a way, be sure to let me know)

[Step2]: I currently do not know a place where you can download a bios that has at positions 0x0007, 0xDE39, 0xDE7A, 0xDE7E the bytes you have in your modRBE.bin.

So, how did you get to that file ?
[Step3] I think it could only have happened if you started from a bios retrieved from your card that contains these bytes. But they are not in the originals you provided, so your originals are not your real originals.

So either there is a flaw in the steps above, or otherwise you have to admit that there is something fishy going on with your originals....
Maybe you downloaded some other bioses that day and overwrote the ones you made yourself ?

Anyway, it is not really that important of course.

On a different note: I just got word from a person selling his 2GB DCII who says its serial is BAxxxxx and that it is unlockable (don't know how thrustworthy that is of course, since he is selling it so he has a slight bias ... since A is after 9 I would have expected it to be locked as well, but now that NEX says his B9 is unlockable nothing is certain anymore).
So the story gets even more complex.... gotta love asus.

System Name my rig
Processor phenom II x2 555 BE
Motherboard Asrock 880 GM-LE
Cooling Corsair H80
Memory 2x2gb Team Elite 1333mhz
Video Card(s) Unlocked Asus EAH6950 DCU II 2gb
Storage 500gb WD Blue
Display(s) Samsung 22"
Case Thermaltake V4 Black Edition
Audio Device(s) n/a
Power Supply Thermaltake TR2 600W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
well this is really getting interesting..i will try to check those bioses and compare if something's fishy going on here..

beamer145

@AZONIC[rus]
Whoops, just looked at NEX'es files and he has the same combination of orig and RBE modded as you.

So obviously I am wrong, big sorry :(

I just did a few more tests, and the whole thing with differences at positions 0x0007, 0xDE39, 0xDE7A, 0xDE7E -> turns out that it actually is RBE that is doing this !!!!
Simple example: take your or NEX'es original file, load in RBE, CHANGE ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, but immediately save it in RBE again: kazinga, the saved file is not equal to the loaded file.
So forget everything I said about this offset related stuff, it is all based on FUD.
If you save your bios with GPUZ you get a different bios then if you save it with RBE.
And lol, there is no way of knowing which one is the correct one (unless the sources float around here somewhere).... probably RBE is wrong, because i don't think can ever be correct that a simple load/save cycle changes the binary.

Edit: and to everyone who successfully unlocked their shaders: which program are you using to write your modded bios (because I have used RBE, and if RBE is corrupting biosses then that might explain why I could not unlock and you could if you are using something different)

Last edited:
Im using ATIWINFLASH 2.0.1.13 to dump the bios and to flash it, which now i see that it is pretty old, it worked for my powercolor 6950 so i just used again. I wonder if it is what is screwing up the amd overdrive or just the shitty preview catalyst drivers.

AZONIC[rus]

Processor Q9550
Cooling Zalman
Display(s) Samsung
Case Thermaltake
Software Windows 7 64bit
@AZONIC[rus]
Whoops, just looked at NEX'es files and he has the same combination of orig and RBE modded as you.

Well, really, I am confused already:) It's all confused me... I'm never used RBE to dump the bios... No, I used it bud only as trial. These two originals are made with GPU-Z...

[NEX] Im using ATIWINFLASH 2.0.1.13

Really interesting, maybe we should try it...

I flashed with atiflash from DOS and with atiwinflash according to Ginnoskie instruction. And nothing helped me...:banghead:

UPD: beamer sorry, if I dumped bios with GPU-Z then it could be same as yours?

Last edited:

beamer145

I flashed with atiflash from DOS and with atiwinflash according to Ginnoskie instruction. And nothing helped me...:banghead:

Damn, I had a glimpse of hope that would work (I was going to try that as well, maybe I still will ) :(

>beamer sorry, if I dumped bios with GPU-Z then it could be same as yours?
You dumped your bioses with GPU-Z, and I dumped mine with RBE -> that is why they are different.
But I think yours is the correct bios, and apparently RBE is modifying some extra bytes for some reason.

I submitted a post to the RBE bug thread about this, but the author is a little short in his response:
That's not an issue but a very wanted behaviour. Wrote about it a lot, just roam the forums, would you?

I tried searching but could not find a decent explanation ( I found 2 things that might be related, but none of those should be triggered by what I am doing (balancing checksums (only need for that is if yo uchange settings) and fixing spin-up bug (only present in 4xx0 cards) ) ).
If someone is bored and wants to read through 579 BAGZZlash posts looking for a better explanation, let me know the result ;p

System Name my rig
Cooling Corsair H80
Storage 500gb WD Blue
Display(s) Samsung 22"
Audio Device(s) n/a
as i read one of the forums ( i forgot where that forum was) it say's there that non reference card are bug with RBE and in that forum said that it could really damage you're card if you force to mod it with RBE.

AZONIC[rus]

Processor Q9550
Cooling Zalman
Display(s) Samsung
Case Thermaltake
Software Windows 7 64bit
Hey! Any news?

System Name my rig
Cooling Corsair H80
Storage 500gb WD Blue
Display(s) Samsung 22"
Audio Device(s) n/a
Hey! Any news?

nope still no update about you're serial on how to unlock those..try to email w1zzard and send him you're bios if he can do something about it..as for now I can't think of anything on how to solve you're problem:D

System Name Wolf Command
Processor 6700K
Motherboard EVGA Z170 FTW
Cooling EK Custom GPU block + Corsair H60
Memory 16Gb DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengence
Video Card(s) Sapphire Fury X Custome WC
Storage 1x Samsung M.2 128Gb, 1x Intel 256Gb M.2 1x Seagate 500Gb Hybrid
Display(s) Dell 2417H
Case S340
Audio Device(s) OB
Power Supply EVGA 750W
Software Windows 10
Last edited:
System Name my rig
Cooling Corsair H80
Storage 500gb WD Blue
Display(s) Samsung 22"
Audio Device(s) n/a
Does the DirectCu have a bios switch? I have heard conflicting reports the switch is between a bios with 2x single link DVI and a bios with 1x single link and 1x dual link.

I've also seen two pages hwere people have flashed with this bios and it work.

http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/95911/Asus.HD6970.2048.110106.html

It really depends on when you're card was manufactured because as you've seen in this forum that either those S/N proves that there are some that have dual bios and other has none..As for my card i proved it already here that i have dual bios with my Asus DCU II 6950 2gb.

yup mine is flashed with that bios and still stable until now since it was flashed.

System Name Wolf Command
Processor 6700K
Display(s) Dell 2417H
Case S340
Audio Device(s) OB
Power Supply EVGA 750W
Software Windows 10
System Name my rig
Cooling Corsair H80
Storage 500gb WD Blue
Display(s) Samsung 22"
Audio Device(s) n/a
Yup but be warned not all Direct CU II models successfully flashed or unlocked..chances are 0.1% so do it at you're own risk. All You need to do is already written here in this thread.just browse on what mod is suitable for you to do you're flashing or unlocking.So goodluck in unlocking or flashing you're card..Also another tip..I flashed mine using ATIWinflash and the cmd mode i didn't use RBE..

System Name Wolf Command
Processor 6700K
Display(s) Dell 2417H
Case S340
Audio Device(s) OB
Power Supply EVGA 750W
Software Windows 10
I've used both in the past, but i'll try it with ATIwinflash. I have PCI cards too if I bugger it up. I'll give it a go and see what happens.

System Name my rig
Cooling Corsair H80
Storage 500gb WD Blue
Display(s) Samsung 22"
Audio Device(s) n/a
I've used both in the past, but i'll try it with ATIwinflash. I have PCI cards too if I bugger it up. I'll give it a go and see what happens.

ok mate..wish you all the best.:respect:.hope you're card unlocks:toast:

AZONIC[rus]

Processor Q9550
Cooling Zalman
Display(s) Samsung
Case Thermaltake
Software Windows 7 64bit
Ha-ha:) one more in our club:)
Welcome to the club;)

System Name Wolf Command
Processor 6700K
Display(s) Dell 2417H
Case S340
Audio Device(s) OB
Power Supply EVGA 750W
Software Windows 10
With 75% the performance of a 7970 for 33% of the price I thought the 6950 was a good buy. It should certainly be a better performer than my 5830 :/

AZONIC[rus]

Processor Q9550
Cooling Zalman
Display(s) Samsung
Case Thermaltake
Software Windows 7 64bit
With 75% the performance of a 7970 for 33% of the price I thought the 6950 was a good buy. It should certainly be a better performer than my 5830 :/

tru...
Honestly I think that performance of my 6950 in BF3 is very good. I don't feel any discomfort.
So the main thing is that 6950 not so much worst for less...:pimp:

System Name Wolf Command
Processor 6700K
Display(s) Dell 2417H
Case S340
Audio Device(s) OB
Power Supply EVGA 750W
Software Windows 10
OMFG, this thing is huge! I've seen many graphics cards, Voodoo 5's, 2900xt's etc which were large for the time but this thing takes the biscuit!

Mikkni

Reup?

I was interested in trying to flash my Asus HD6950 DCUII 2GB but since megaupload has been taken down, could someone reupload the bios you have used and W1zzard's php mod please?

Thanks!