• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Shuttle Launches New Mini-PC with Z68 Chipset

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Shuttle Computer Handels GmbH, the European subsidiary of Shuttle Inc., one of the leading developers and manufacturers of compact PC solutions such as the world-renowned XPC Mini-PC barebones, today announces its new top-of-the-range XPC Barebone model SZ68R5.

It is the first time a Shuttle Mini-PC integrates Intel's Z68 high-performance desktop chipset with Smart Response Technology (SSD caching). An SSD is used here to speed up the boot process and to ensure ultra-rapid application startup. Space-saving mSATA-SSDs can be fitted in the corresponding Mini-PCIe slot on the motherboard.

The Intel Z68 Express chipset combines the numerous features of the H67 Express with the performance benefits of the P67 Express chipset. The new XPC Barebone SZ68R5 is able for the first time to accommodate four add-on cards: 1x PCIe-x16-2.0, 1x PCIe-x4-2.0, 1x Mini-PCIe-x1-2.0 and 1x mSATA. On the motherboard there are four sockets for up to a total of 32 GB DDR3 memory. Of particular interest to experienced users are the diverse performance-enhancing BIOS parameters for fine-tuning the machine. The "TurboBoost" function gets the most out of the machine's processors when under full load. In addition, new power-saving features ensure low energy consumption and less heat buildup. There is an extremely wide range of LGA 1155 processors supported by this barebone, including Intel Celeron, Pentium, Core i3, Core i5 and Core i7.

The SZ68R5 has an HDMI port and DVI-I port - ideal for many second-generation Intel Core processors with integrated graphics. The new Intel HD graphics are normally sufficient for casual gaming and enable the smooth playback of HD content. With an additional graphics card fitted in the PCIe-x16-2.0 slot, up to four screens can be controlled at once.

A Smart USB port on the front with 2 Amp power feed is suitable for devices with high charging requirements (e.g. iPhone/iPad). In total, the machine offers the following host of external connectors: 4x USB 3.0, 6x USB 2.0, 1x eSATA/USB Combo, 7.1 Audio, S/PDIF. On the UEFI motherboard, there are 2x SATA 6 Gbit, 2x SATA 3 Gbit, 2x USB 2.0 and 1x RS232 ports waiting for the user. There is even a 500 Watt 80 PLUS-certified power supply unit already built in providing the juice to power all this.

"The long-awaited XPC Barebone based on Z68 Express has now landed in Europe," states Tom Seiffert, Head of Marketing & PR at Shuttle Computer Handels GmbH. "Not often in our long history has the sales launch of a new model been so keenly awaited. In fact, there were already requests for this development as soon as the first model with LGA1155 was introduced."

Shuttle's recommended retail price for the XPC Barebone SZ68R5 is EUR 301 (ex. VAT). For more information, visit the product page.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
looks nice...

my last shuttle was LOUUUDDDDDD though... they should really release these with an additional sidepanel fan or something. They're pretty starved for airflow otherwise.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800x3d
Motherboard Asrock b550m riptide pd
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin
Memory 32gb (4x8) G.Skill RGB DDR4 @ 3200
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster QICK319 RX 7800 XT 16gb
Storage 1x Hynix P31 1tb (os) 1x 4tb SP UD90
Display(s) 1x Acer Predator X34, 2x 13.3 mobile USBC wings
Case Jonsbo D31 mesh
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Corsair SF750w
Software Windows 11
I always liked these little boxes, had a few in the socket 478 days and one of them is still running actually. But the biggest let down for me was the power supplies, which always tended to be the loudest part. I had a few replaced under warranty but eventually they would just get loud again. But with the size of modern mini itx power supplies like the PicoITX units I think they could benefit by making the switch. You would lose that horrid little 40mm noise maker, free up some internal space, and still have plenty of power to drive a decent cpu, SSD, and mid-range gpu. Some of these smaller DC-DC ATX inverters can provide 200w or probably more if demand was there.