• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

UK PC.Will it work advice needed for the USA

East Uk, then Mississippi USA, now central France
Processor Ryzen 5 2600x
Motherboard ASUS TUF B450 PLUS GAMING
Cooling Corsair H100i Elite
Memory 32GB G. Skill F4-3200C168GFX
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX2060
Storage WD Black 1TB, Hitachi Deskstar 750GB, Toshiba MK1059GSM 1TB, Samsung Evo 840 250GB
Display(s) Dell G2723HN
Case Corsair 5000D
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar AE
Power Supply Corsair tx650
Mouse Corsair Nightshade
Keyboard Corsair K55 RGB
Software Win10 Home
Hi All,
Sorry if this is not in the correct section, will the mods please move it if it needs to be somewhere else.
Your advice would be greatly appreciated. At the moment as you can see from my avatar etc, I live in the UK. My full pc specs are in the drop down. In September I will be emigrating to the USA, to get married in December.
I am considering shipping my PC over, but will it work? I know my PSU is self switching for voltage (HX750W) , but I wonder about everything else i.e. win 7 64 bit and a samsung blu ray drive, with roughly 10 Blu rays.
The doubts I have are to do with Blu ray playback and Win7 itself - blurays from europe region being played on a UK licenced Win 7 64bit, in the USA.

Plus I have a load of UK Tv recorded on Media Centre that I want to play on the PC over there. The only things I will be shipping are the tower (complete) , my keyboard and my mouse (which will have to have a Travel adaptor for charging).
Also any advice regarding shipping would be gratefully recieved.
I also know there is a way to watch UK TV in the USA via a VPN ;)

Last edited:
System Name Main Rig
Processor Athlon 5350
Motherboard AsRock mITX
Memory 4gb
Storage 120gb Kingston HyperX SSD
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster 740N
Power Supply Corsair 430 watt
Your power supply will work fine as long as it can be switched to 110/120. You will need a new power cord for it.

Your Blu-ray playback software will continue to work with discs from your region. You will not be able to play discs from the US region unless you switch regions in your software, which will make the discs from your UK region not work. Commercial playback software only lets you switch regions a couple of times.

You can watch any TV programming you have already recorded with Media Center. To record US TV, you will need a different TV tuner card (ATSC or QAM) and an antenna or analog cable. You could also purchase a cable card based tuner which would enable you to record all cable channels, if you subscribe to cable.

The only broadcast source of BBC programming in the US at this time is the BBC America channel, which is a mismash of various programs from all the BBC channels. You'll have to get the rest via the Internet or in some other fashion.

Last edited:

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
^ pretty much what he said

as for shipping - I ship a lot of things overseas (nothing to nigeria of course....Im always watching my back for scams like those)

I usually do most of my international shipping through DHL so i recommend them. Optionally you can use FedEX.

the problem is finding a box big enough to pack your Pc and other junk safely in. In all my years using DHL they have never delivered a package of mine that looks like it might have made a short stop at guantanamo bay before carrying on to its final destination....

make sure HANDLE WITH CARE is clearly marked on the boxs with clear instructions which way up the box should be facing and everything should be gravy.

The only issue ive had with DHL is when they thought i wouldnt notice when they opened one of my boxes that was shippied to me then sealed up with DHL tape.

Luckily nothing was missing. as it was only a PC case, but had there been anything of value inside that case that was easy to remove and pocket then maybe things would have ended differently.

I did make a complaint though.

Processor R7 5800x3D
Motherboard MSI x570 Tomahawk
Cooling XSPC Raystorm Edge,EK QS P420M,EK D5pwm Revo Res
Memory 32gb Corsair Vengeance RT 3600 cl16
Video Card(s) Zotac 3070ti Amp Extreme
Storage Samsung 980pro 1tb x2
Display(s) MSI MPG321QRF QD
Case Corsair 7000D
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse G900
Keyboard Corsair k60 RGB PRO
Software Win 11
Everything will be fine software wise, i know dvd drives used to let you change region 5 times, however updating firware usually resets this.
It may be slightly different since blu ray drives have come out though.

My brother moved out there about a year ago (also to get married, damn yank sirens!) and at the time we worked out shipping his PC flat-packed minus the case (size) and PSU (weight) and buying them there was a lot cheaper than trying to ship a tower in a box large enough to keep it safe.

East Uk, then Mississippi USA, now central France
Processor Ryzen 5 2600x
Motherboard ASUS TUF B450 PLUS GAMING
Cooling Corsair H100i Elite
Memory 32GB G. Skill F4-3200C168GFX
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX2060
Storage WD Black 1TB, Hitachi Deskstar 750GB, Toshiba MK1059GSM 1TB, Samsung Evo 840 250GB
Display(s) Dell G2723HN
Case Corsair 5000D
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar AE
Power Supply Corsair tx650
Mouse Corsair Nightshade
Keyboard Corsair K55 RGB
Software Win10 Home
Ok Thanks all :)
What a relief :)
Maybe I will check shipping costs. Obviously the PC will go as personal effects