• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Fair Labour Association Calls Apple's Factories "First Class"

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Earlier this week, it was reported that Apple was conducting inspections of the manufacturing facilities of its foundry partners via independent agencies, to assess working conditions and well-being of workers. It requested the Fair Labour Association (FLA) to carry out the inspections. In addition to Foxconn, the FLA will inspect facilities of Quanta Computer Inc, Pegatron Corp, Wintek Corp and others. While the final report of its inspections will be released only by late next month, FLA revealed its first impressions of what it saw.

The FLA finds the working conditions in foundry partner Foxconn's facilities "above average". Auret van Heerden, president of the FLA commented on the Foxconn inspection: "The facilities are first-class; the physical conditions are way, way above average of the norm." He continued, "I was very surprised when I walked onto the floor at Foxconn, how tranquil it is compared with a garment factory," he said. "So the problems are not the intensity and burnout and pressure-cooker environment you have in a garment factory. It's more a function of monotony, of boredom, of alienation perhaps."

Mr. van Heerden went on to hypothesize the cause of worker suicides in China, which his organization has been studying since the 1990s. "You have lot of young people, coming from rural areas, away from families for the first time. They're taken from a rural into an industrial lifestyle, often quite an intense one, and that's quite a shock to these young workers. And we find that they often need some kind of emotional support, and they can't get it," he added. "Factories initially didn't realize those workers needed emotional support."

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Last edited by a moderator:

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
When average is dismal, "above average" really doesn't account for much improvement. Apple should be building highly automated assembly factories in the USA. It costs more up front but I bet it would be cheaper in the long run. :p

System Name Prometheus
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
Cooling EKWB EK-240 AIO D-RGB
Memory G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4070Ti Ventus 3X OC 12GB
Storage WD Black SN850 1TB + 1 x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB
Display(s) DELL U4320Q 4K + Wacom Cintiq Pro 16 4K
Case Jonsbo A4 ver1.1 SFF
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum SFX
Mouse Logitech Pro Wireless
Keyboard Vortex Race 3 75% MX Brown
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
Well that was fast. I guess an "inspection" in China is conducted by phone or fax. 5 minutes is all it takes.

So much BS.

Completely Bonkers

Processor Mysterious Engineering Prototype
Motherboard Intel 865
Cooling Custom block made in workshop
Memory Corsair XMS 2GB
Video Card(s) FireGL X3-256
Display(s) 1600x1200 SyncMaster x 2 = 3200x1200
Software Windows 2003
Yes, I remember "inspections" in Hong Kong. The factory owners would take the visitors on the tour of the factory. The workers were informed on how to behave "or else". And when the owners took the visitor the long-way-round the factory, the workers quickly sneaked from one building to the next, to make the factory look busy and successful.

So easy to manage an inspection esp. by American FLA where they cannot speak to workers due to language barriers and can only naiively "look" at the factory and working conditions.

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
Maybe FLA knows more, but I have to call BS on the theory of rural guy going to factories and getting shocked by the work there. I'm from India, and I'm sure a Chinese guy can correct me, but the mechanism of urbanization is similar between our two countries. Life in rural parts of our country is extremely difficult. Farm mechanization is low, and so there's lot of manual labour, and rural life in our two countries is nightmarish. Apart from working your ass out in the field, you have the slog it out in the village market to get the best prices for your produce, so you could make ends meet. In contrast, being pulled out of the farms and being put into a factory, especially an assembly line where you can sit, and where the factory gives you your lunch, is a dream. Hell, even a stereotypical textile sweatshop is much better than farm life.

So there must be factors other than intensity of labour behind worker suicides.

It is good compared to a garment factory... lol...

Corporate work environment green washing haha!

System Name Lailalo
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X Boosts to 4.95Ghz
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus (WIFI
Cooling Noctua
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) XFX 7900XT 20GB
Storage Samsung 970 Pro Plus 1TB, Crucial 1TB MX500 SSD, Segate 3TB
Display(s) LG Ultrawide 29in @ 2560x1080
Case Coolermaster Storm Sniper
Power Supply XPG 1000W
Mouse G602
Keyboard G510s
Software Windows 10 Pro / Windows 10 Home
Oh heres a good idea...inspectors give time and dates for their arrival so management can sweep problems under the rug. Yeah, really win there.

Just an Apple publicity stunt to wave the "everything is ok" sign.

Really if this was a serious inspection, they wouldn't have disclosed it. Just surprise, show up, catch them with their pants down. Then accept bribes to keep it quiet ;D.

System Name Aluminum Mallard
Processor Ryzen 1900x
Motherboard AsRock Phantom 6
Cooling AIO
Memory 8GB
Video Card(s) ASUS Strix 1080Ti
Storage SSD
Display(s) Benq Zowie
Case Cosmos 1000
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Corsair CX750
Software Win10 Home
Benchmark Scores 31 FPS in Dalaran.
Hans Blix must have been the inspector.

Processor Intel Core i3-2100 @ 3.1 GHz
Motherboard Asus P8H61-M LX (B3)
Cooling Intel stock HSF
Memory 2x 4GB Kingston DDR3 @ 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Radeon HD 6750 OC
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 3
Display(s) HP W2072a 20"
Case Cooler Master Elite 430 Black
Audio Device(s) Integrated (Realtek ALC887)
Power Supply Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 500W
Software Windows 7 Home Premium x64
Pics or it didn't happen.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Oh heres a good idea...inspectors give time and dates for their arrival so management can sweep problems under the rug. Yeah, really win there.
Chinese government doesn't allow surprise inspections. All these corporations know what they're dealing with (won't admit it publically--see Nike and child labor) and frankly, they don't care so long as the products are completed and meet quality requirements. It is going to keep on happening until labor costs around the globe increase to the point where automation is undeniably cheaper.

Processor Xeon E5 1650 V4
Motherboard MSI X99A SLI PLUS
Cooling HYPER 212 EVO
Memory 64gb DDR4 2133
Video Card(s) XFX RADEON RX 480 8GB
Storage Samsung PM951 512GB NVMe SSD
Display(s) LG 34" Ultrawide + AOC 27"
Power Supply EVGA 750 Watt
Mouse Logitech M280
Keyboard Dell SK-8135
hey remember some time ago when banks were hiring independent companies to rate securities...and that worked out so well...

Maybe FLA knows more, but I have to call BS on the theory of rural guy going to factories and getting shocked by the work there. I'm from India, and I'm sure a Chinese guy can correct me, but the mechanism of urbanization is similar between our two countries. Life in rural parts of our country is extremely difficult. Farm mechanization is low, and so there's lot of manual labour, and rural life in our two countries is nightmarish. Apart from working your ass out in the field, you have the slog it out in the village market to get the best prices for your produce, so you could make ends meet. In contrast, being pulled out of the farms and being put into a factory, especially an assembly line where you can sit, and where the factory gives you your lunch, is a dream. Hell, even a stereotypical textile sweatshop is much better than farm life.

So there must be factors other than intensity of labour behind worker suicides.

You go to a Foxconn or similar factory and you work your asses off. You live, eat, work and poop all in their facilities. You have practically no social life. You have no one close to you to talk to. Then you realize that it's a dead-end job and think you're stuck in this forever or you got hooked up with some female co-worker then got dumped or something. With how superficial and hollow the modern Chinese culture is, it's not hard to see why someone would just kill himself.

But my speculation is pointless. The suicide rate at Foxconn is actually lower than national average. And, no one really cares. Everyone comes out and says "This is deplorable and inexcusable!" then go right back to living their unsustainable lifestyle. It's China right now and it will be Africa when most Chinese can enjoy the same unsustainable lifestyle.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Here eat thos shiny apple mr and mrs inspector sir, it may be solid gold so watch your teeth, as we have no accidents here OK?

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
You go to a Foxconn or similar factory and you work your asses off. You live, eat, work and poop all in their facilities. You have practically no social life. You have no one close to you to talk to. Then you realize that it's a dead-end job and think you're stuck in this forever or you got hooked up with some female co-worker then got dumped or something. With how superficial and hollow the modern Chinese culture is, it's not hard to see why someone would just kill himself.

But my speculation is pointless. The suicide rate at Foxconn is actually lower than national average. And, no one really cares. Everyone comes out and says "This is deplorable and inexcusable!" then go right back to living their unsustainable lifestyle. It's China right now and it will be Africa when most Chinese can enjoy the same unsustainable lifestyle.

I don't deny that Foxconn's facilities are bad, but I'm saying the backgrounds these workers come from (according to FSA, from rural China) are a LOT worse.

I don't deny that Foxconn's facilities are bad, but I'm saying the backgrounds these workers come from (according to FSA, from rural China) are a LOT worse.

So that must mean farmer suicide rates have to a LOT more!

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
So that must mean farmer suicide rates have to a LOT more!

Well, the worker suicide rates do seem to be below national average. Apple's PR gets the spotlight when a Foxconn worker "commits suicide", and not when a Chinese peasant does.

Processor Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard ASUS Prime X470 Pro
Cooling Arctic liquid freezer II 240
Memory 2 x 16 Gb Gskill Trident Z 3600 Mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3060 Ti OC
Storage Samsung 960 EVO 500 Gb / 860 EVO 1 Tb
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF
Case Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G703
Keyboard Logitech G513
Software Win 11
First class ? LOL working conditions at your local Burger King must be off the charts then

When I was in the military, announced inspections were a total joke. Everything was cleaned up spic-'n-span and it turned into a dog-and-pony-show. It's the unannounced inspections that really matter, so you can see what's really going on.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Hans Blix must have been the inspector.

Probably...but the jokes on you as he is no longer exists. Unless the joke was that there was no inspection because hes dead and 8ft under.

System Name ODIN
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Memory G Skill RipjawsV F4 3600 Mhz C16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC LHR
Storage Crucial 2 TB M.2 SSD :: WD Blue M.2 1TB SSD :: 1 TB WD Black VelociRaptor
Display(s) Dell S2716DG 27" 144 Hz G-SYNC
Case Fractal Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Onboard Audio
Power Supply Antec HCP 850 80+ Gold
Mouse Corsair M65
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Lux
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores I don't benchmark.
If it is so great. Why does she look so depressed?

Processor Intel Core i9 13900KF
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Hero EVA Edition
Cooling Asus Ryujin II 360 EVA Edition
Memory 4x16GBs DDR5 6800MHz G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo Series
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 4090 AMP Extreme Airo
Storage 2TB Samsung 980 Pro OS - 4TB Nextorage G Series Games - 8TBs WD Black Storage
Display(s) LG C2 OLED 42" 4K 120Hz HDR G-Sync enabled TV
Case Asus ROG Helios EVA Edition
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S910W - 7.1 Klipsch Dolby ATMOS Speaker Setup - Audeze Maxwell
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 1300W
Mouse Asus ROG Keris EVA Edition - Asus ROG Scabbard II EVA Edition
Keyboard Asus ROG Strix Scope EVA Edition
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey VR
Software Windows 11 Pro 64bit
Completely off topic, I know, but has anyone else noticed the image used for this article is a photoshop? And not a good one either, look at the awkward way that worker is holding the iPad, and also notice how her thumb is touching one of the icons without starting that app, not to mention the fact that her thumb has an awfully different skin tone than the rest of her hand... Altough she could be using one of those funny finger latex covers, still the angle of her hands just looks wrong to be holding that iPad...

Just saying...

You are right that it's likely that farm work is much harder on the body. What I meant was that these people couldn't handle the lonely and repetive life in the foxconn city. What they should've realize is that the job they are doing shouldn't be permanent. Work your asses off, send money home, save enough money, learn a trade or something and move on.

Well, we'll have to wait and see what The Fair Labor Association has to say about the factories, then. Perhaps more scrutiny will come when leaving out the U.