• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Might Make Up for Ivy Bridge Delay With Lower Prices

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Intel was reportedly planning to limit mass-shipments of its third-generation Core processors (codenamed: "Ivy Bridge") to notebook ODMs, to help in digestion of swelling inventories of current-generation "Sandy Bridge" Core processors. Only a few models (those targeting Ultrabooks and mainstream notebooks) are expected to face delays till June, performance desktop retail processors will most likely not be affected, their launch is on-course for April.

To make up for the delay, Intel will might lower prices of its Ivy Bridge chips by as much as $70 a piece. The lower prices would ease transition between the two generations of processors without causing a price-shock to ODMs, when they then have to transfer to the end-users. Intel already attractive pricing for its Sandy Bridge CPUs to help clear inventories. The result of all this would be Ivy Bridge-powered notebooks being not much more expensive than current-generation Sandy Bridge-powered ones, on launch.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Reactions: w3b

dlsmoker

Then I hope they delay desktop processors as well so a 3770k will cost 250$ ! :megusta:

System Name Computer MkVIII
Processor 2500K @ 4.5ghz
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth P67
Cooling CPU: 212+ EVO GPU: Stock
Memory 16gb G.Skill Ares @2133mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 980 SC
Storage 1x Samsung 840 EVO 1TB
Display(s) 24" Asus VE248
Case Corsair Carbide 300R
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX-650
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
I think Intel just need to slow down, they're in a really comfortable spot right now. Just relax, save up some dosh and bring out something amazing like the Core™2 Duo series.

System Name Titan
Processor AMD FX-8350 4.6ghz
Motherboard AsRock 990FX Fatal1ty Professional
Cooling Corsair H100
Memory G.Skill RipjawsX 8gb
Video Card(s) XFX Double D 7970 3gb
Storage Western Digital Green 2TB 64mb Cache/ Western Digital 500gb
Display(s) iMac Display 2560 x 1440
Case NZXT Switch 810 White
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
Software Windows 7 64-bit
Not sure if i'm a fool, but i'm actually going to wait to see how Piledriver is before I make the leap to intel.

Have been a loyal AMD fan for quite some time, but enough is enough. If Piledriver doesn't deliver, Hello Intel.

System Name My baby
Processor Athlon II X4 620 @ 3.5GHz, 1.45v, NB @ 2700Mhz, HT @ 2700Mhz - 24hr prime95 stable
Motherboard Asus M4A785TD-V EVO
Cooling Sonic Tower Rev 2 with 120mm Akasa attached, Akasa @ Front, Xilence Red Wing 120mm @ Rear
Memory 8 GB G.Skills 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) ATI ASUS Crossfire 5850
Storage Crucial MX100 SATA 2.5 SSD
Display(s) Lenovo ThinkVision 27" (LEN P27h-10)
Case Antec VSK 2000 Black Tower Case
Audio Device(s) Onkyo TX-SR309 Receiver, 2x Kef Cresta 1, 1x Kef Center 20c
Power Supply OCZ StealthXstream II 600w, 4x12v/18A, 80% efficiency.
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
I think Intel just need to slow down, they're in a really comfortable spot right now. Just relax, save up some dosh and bring out something amazing like the Core™2 Duo series.

You are speaking from the view point of consumer not a business or corporation.

Save up dosh? They are a muliti-billion dollar multi national, they dont need to save up. Also by releasing CPUs and flooding the market is how they make revenue. They don't care if the product is amazing aslong as share prices are high and revenue is increasing.

System Name Thought I'd be done with this by now
Processor i7 11700k 8/16
Motherboard MSI Z590 Pro Wifi
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, 9x aigo AR12
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ Neo DDR4-4000 CL18-22-22-42
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 2x Geforce RTX 3070
Storage 1TB MX300 M.2 OS + Games, + cloud mostly
Display(s) Samsung 40" 4k (TV)
Case Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic EVO Black
Audio Device(s) onboard HD -> Yamaha 5.1
Power Supply EVGA 850 GQ
Mouse Logitech wireless
Keyboard same
VR HMD nah
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores no one cares anymore lols
You are speaking from the view point of consumer not a business or corporation.

Save up dosh? They are a muliti-billion dollar multi national, they dont need to save up. Also by releasing CPUs and flooding the market is how they make revenue. They don't care if the product is amazing aslong as share prices are high and revenue is increasing.

supply and demand, you understand it not.

Processor RyZen R9 3950X
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Coolermaster Master Liquid ML240L RGB
Memory 64GB DDR4 3200 (4x16GB)
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Storage Samsung 2TB SSD
Display(s) Asus VE276Q, VE278Q and VK278Q triple 27” 1920x1080
Case Zulman MS800
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Seasonic 650W
VR HMD Oculus Rift, Oculus Quest V1, Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 64bit
Then I hope they delay desktop processors as well so a 3770k will cost 250$ ! :megusta:

LOL,......

I hear you brother but lets not get too carried away,....

Personally I've been looking for an Intel Sandy Bridge-E Core i7 3930K and haven't been able to find one for some time. When I first heard about the Ivy Bridge delay I thought it was for desktop chips too. I'm glad it isnt because the Ivy Bridge Core i7 3770 would be my second choice next to the Sandy Bridge-E Core i7 3930K. It doesnt really look like I'll find any stock of the 3930K either.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Not sure if i'm a fool, but i'm actually going to wait to see how Piledriver is before I make the leap to intel.

Have been a loyal AMD fan for quite some time, but enough is enough. If Piledriver doesn't deliver, Hello Intel.

Forget brand loyalty - AMD are not going to knock on your door and throw you a suprise party or give you free stuff because you are a loyal fan.

Go where the best bang for buck is and your wallet will thank you for it.

faramir

Forget brand loyalty - AMD are not going to knock on your door and throw you a suprise party or give you free stuff because you are a loyal fan.

Actually I appreciate people buying obviously inferior product ebcause that keeps the competitor afloat. As long as competition exists I can get the best bang for my buck from whoever is the top dog at that moment. So thanks to all AMD fanboys, you're doing great job !!! :)

System Name My baby
Processor Athlon II X4 620 @ 3.5GHz, 1.45v, NB @ 2700Mhz, HT @ 2700Mhz - 24hr prime95 stable
Cooling Sonic Tower Rev 2 with 120mm Akasa attached, Akasa @ Front, Xilence Red Wing 120mm @ Rear
supply and demand, you understand it not.

Intel spends hundreds of millions per year on marketing. With their branding power people will want it!

Even if consumers are on the fence. All they do is drop support and manufacturing for the last generation of motherboards and CPUs and suddenly you need their replacement.

Actually I appreciate people buying obviously inferior product ebcause that keeps the competitor afloat. As long as competition exists I can get the best bang for my buck from whoever is the top dog at that moment. So thanks to all AMD fanboys, you're doing great job !!! :)

Dont jump down his throat, he is getting the best bang for his buck. He said he was going to compare Ivy Bridge and Piledriver, so he can determine the best bang for his buck. That isnt being a fan boy that is being smart. If he had bought Piledriver even though it was a poor choice, that would be a fan boy, he isnt doing that.

Last edited:

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Dont jump down this throat, he is getting the best bang for his buck. He said he was going to compare Ivy Bridge and Piledriver, so he can determine the best bang for his buck. That isnt being a fan boy that is being smart. If he had bought Piledriver even though it was a poor choice, that would be a fan boy, he isnt doing that.

Im not jumping down anyones throat, Im only voicing my opinion on the matter without getting into a "if AMD could make a better CPU" debate.

Obviously if they could then everyone would be happy or at least happier and there would be no need for fanboisim as everything is just pure competition from a price point perspective.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Even if consumers are on the fence. All they do is drop support and manufacturing for the last generation of motherboards and CPUs and suddenly you need their replacement.

CONSUMERS don't care about sockets or changing motherboards. Enthusiasts do, but they are a small part of the market. And enthusiasts do not drive the market.

The whole "I am an enthusiast, and I want the stuff i like for cheaper than you're willing to give it to me" never ends out working right for the consumer.

IF anything, I read this to say that they will release maybe additional models, and create a higher bin of chips for the top-dollar segment of the platform.

Really, companies focus on the high-profit, high number selling products, and I do not think anyone here is really interested in them too much...ya don't see a lot of users with 6770's, although there are still a relatively large number....

Completely Bonkers

Processor Mysterious Engineering Prototype
Motherboard Intel 865
Cooling Custom block made in workshop
Memory Corsair XMS 2GB
Video Card(s) FireGL X3-256
Display(s) 1600x1200 SyncMaster x 2 = 3200x1200
Software Windows 2003
Sounds like this Ivy Bridge launch has been a complete farkup by the product managers at Intel. First timing. Then botching OEM relationships. Then mismanaging inventories. Then pricing. Now customers will definitely wait for the better and cheaper replacement. And the farkup cycle goes around one more time!

Expect a Head or two to roll (in the product management department).

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
With very little competition from AMD I have to hand it to Intel for not gouging the hell out of their prices.

Halk

System Name Desktop PC
Processor 1090T
Motherboard Crosshair IV Forumula
Cooling Arctic Freezer 7 pro
Memory 4x2GB OCZ Reaper
Video Card(s) DirectCU 580
Storage Vertex 2 120GB
Display(s) Dell 24 inch
Case Fractal Design R3
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply Seasonic X 650
Software Win 7 Home Premium x64
With very little competition from AMD I have to hand it to Intel for not gouging the hell out of their prices.

I can assure you that will be accidental.

Intel's biggest competitor just now is Intel. The reason behind this story would seem to be that they're delaying Ivy Bridge so that it does not compete with Sandy Bridge.

The projected TDPs and clock for clock performance of Ivy Bridge seem to indicate that Intel doesn't need to increase performance. If pushed they should have been able to increase performance of Ivy Bridge by more than the margin over Sandy Bridge that it's delivered.

I would expect that they have performance gains they could unleash should they feel the need, but unless AMD ups there game quite significantly then they won't need to.

Intel are also in the favourable position with their tick/tock that should they release ivy bridge, and it performs only a bit better than Sandy Bridge, and then AMD release a killer chip.. then when it comes to the tock they can do a lower end IB-E to reach between the mainstream and high end.

The biggest period of gains we've seen in recent Intel history were when AMD was kicking their arse with A64s.. that led to Intel coming up with C2D and since then AMD hasn't taken the performance crown back.

Intel's strategy at the moment will be to maximise profit, while only releasing performance gains as required. Sadly that's not good for us consumers.

System Name Lailalo
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X Boosts to 4.95Ghz
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus (WIFI
Cooling Noctua
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) XFX 7900XT 20GB
Storage Samsung 970 Pro Plus 1TB, Crucial 1TB MX500 SSD, Segate 3TB
Display(s) LG Ultrawide 29in @ 2560x1080
Case Coolermaster Storm Sniper
Power Supply XPG 1000W
Mouse G602
Keyboard G510s
Software Windows 10 Pro / Windows 10 Home
Ya know, Trinity comes out around that time. Anyone think of that? I find it mighty suspicious Intel delaying to that time frame and there is the rumor of a price cut which may put prices closer to the ones we have now. AMD will have to compete with them on price and I'm sure Trinity graphics will be whipping Intel's in everything. But I don't see it being as cheap as Llano. Might see prices coming more even this time around.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
I can assure you that will be accidental.

Intel's biggest competitor just now is Intel. The reason behind this story would seem to be that they're delaying Ivy Bridge so that it does not compete with Sandy Bridge.

The projected TDPs and clock for clock performance of Ivy Bridge seem to indicate that Intel doesn't need to increase performance. If pushed they should have been able to increase performance of Ivy Bridge by more than the margin over Sandy Bridge that it's delivered.

I would expect that they have performance gains they could unleash should they feel the need, but unless AMD ups there game quite significantly then they won't need to.

Intel are also in the favourable position with their tick/tock that should they release ivy bridge, and it performs only a bit better than Sandy Bridge, and then AMD release a killer chip.. then when it comes to the tock they can do a lower end IB-E to reach between the mainstream and high end.

The biggest period of gains we've seen in recent Intel history were when AMD was kicking their arse with A64s.. that led to Intel coming up with C2D and since then AMD hasn't taken the performance crown back.

Intel's strategy at the moment will be to maximise profit, while only releasing performance gains as required. Sadly that's not good for us consumers.
Remember its the MOBILE segment that is delayed.

IB-E will be on a very expensive platform to begin with... sounds a bit counter intuitive to me to try to compete in the price /performance with their enthusiast level platform. It would make more sense to have lower end IB chips on a platform that costs less to jump in to. ;)

Last edited:
Processor Intel i7-10700k
Motherboard Gigabyte Aurorus Ultra z490
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200MHz
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming Trio X 3070 LHR
Display(s) ASUS MG278Q / AOC G2590FX
Case Corsair X4000 iCue
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM650x 650W Fully Modular
Software Windows 10
I've said it before and I'll say it again, when it comes to Computer Hardware, there are plenty of things not attributed to AMD that force Intel to keep innovating and offering better products for cheaper. Monopolies only work when it's a resource people absolutely need--Gas, Oil, Water, Electricity, these things we need so we have to buy them, if they raise the cost we still have to pay for it. Microprocessors are not the same. If Intel just rebranded the same CPU's year after year, you would have no reason to buy a new one, and the only people who would lose out are Intel. Even if AMD is not competative, Intel still has to offer better products year over year than Intel.

System Name My baby
CONSUMERS don't care about sockets or changing motherboards. Enthusiasts do, but they are a small part of the market. And enthusiasts do not drive the market.

The whole "I am an enthusiast, and I want the stuff i like for cheaper than you're willing to give it to me" never ends out working right for the consumer.

IF anything, I read this to say that they will release maybe additional models, and create a higher bin of chips for the top-dollar segment of the platform.

Really, companies focus on the high-profit, high number selling products, and I do not think anyone here is really interested in them too much...ya don't see a lot of users with 6770's, although there are still a relatively large number....

I wasn't saying that Intel are focused on enthusiast hardware. I was saying that Intel will pressure consumers to buy whatever they want us to buy, whether high end or low end through gorilla marketing or by disconnecting support.

Intel can drop manufacturing a socket, hence forcing consumers to into adopting the new socket path. Consumers won't care, but if all the shops are only stocking the new socket the consumer hardly has a choice.

You go into PCWorld and look for socket 775, it's in very short supply and demand. The consumer doesnt know what a motherboard is, but their pre-built PC will probably has socket 1155. Which proves that Intel, will sell their OEM the latest stuff, whether high end or low end, the customers will buy it, because its all that is available.

Last edited:
System Name The Stone that the Builders Refused / iJayo
Processor R5 1600/ R7 3700X
Motherboard Asrock AB350 Pro4 / Asus Rog Strix B450-F gaming
Cooling Cryorig M9 / Noctua NH-D14
Memory G skill 16 Gigs ddr4 / 16 gigs PNY ddr4
Video Card(s) Nvdia GTX 660 / Nvidia RTX 2070 Super
Storage 120gig 840 evo, 120gig adata sp900 / 1tb Mushkin M.2 ssd 1 & 3 tb seagate hdd, 120 gig Hyper X ssd
Display(s) 42" Nec retail display monitor/ 34" Dell curved 165hz monitor
Case Pink Enermax Ostrog / Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass edition
Audio Device(s) Altec Lansing Expressionist Bass/ M-Audio monitors
Power Supply Corsair450 / Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 650
Mouse corsair vengence M65 / Zalman Knossos
Keyboard corsair k95 / Roccat Vulcan 121
Software Window 10 pro / Windows 10 pro
Benchmark Scores meh... feel me on the battle field!
Wow.....I wonder how many angry letters, emails and blogs do Porsche, Lamborghini and Ferrari
get about being too expensive and neglecting the common man.... The world is a pretty clear place...when seen in the proper context....

System Name MyMonster
Processor Ryzen 3600x
Motherboard Asus Rog Strix X570-e gaming
Cooling Deepcool castle 240 rgb
Memory 32GB TeamGroup DARK Zα 3600
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 2060 12GB OC
Storage 500GB XPG SX8200 Pro PCIe Gen3x4 M.2 2280, 2x WD Black 1TB, External 8TB Seagate USB 3
Display(s) Acer Nitro 27" HDR 165hz 1080p, Sanyo 55" HDR 4K HDTV
Case Lian Li Rog Certified PC-011D XL
Audio Device(s) Creative Soundblaster ZX, HyperX Cloud II headphones
Power Supply Corsair HX750i
Mouse Logitech G902 Lightspeed, Powerplay mousemat
Keyboard Logitech G910
Software Win11 X64 and stuff
I've said it before and I'll say it again, when it comes to Computer Hardware, there are plenty of things not attributed to AMD that force Intel to keep innovating and offering better products for cheaper. Monopolies only work when it's a resource people absolutely need--Gas, Oil, Water, Electricity, these things we need so we have to buy them, if they raise the cost we still have to pay for it. Microprocessors are not the same. If Intel just rebranded the same CPU's year after year, you would have no reason to buy a new one, and the only people who would lose out are Intel. Even if AMD is not competative, Intel still has to offer better products year over year than Intel.

This is only true if everyone is an enthusiast and upgrades every year or more.
Most don't. Enthusiast is a tiny niche market. Most people only buy a computer when they NEED to, not cause something new and great came out. Therefore they can monopolize the market. Its only the enthusiasts that would even notice.
And intel lowering prices BWAHAHAHA And I see pink elephants floating in the sky when i look out the window.

Nice attempt at trolling. :rolleyes: However, you fail miserably at it. :shadedshu

System Name MyMonster
Processor Ryzen 3600x
Motherboard Asus Rog Strix X570-e gaming
Cooling Deepcool castle 240 rgb
Memory 32GB TeamGroup DARK Zα 3600
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 2060 12GB OC
Storage 500GB XPG SX8200 Pro PCIe Gen3x4 M.2 2280, 2x WD Black 1TB, External 8TB Seagate USB 3
Display(s) Acer Nitro 27" HDR 165hz 1080p, Sanyo 55" HDR 4K HDTV
Case Lian Li Rog Certified PC-011D XL
Audio Device(s) Creative Soundblaster ZX, HyperX Cloud II headphones
Power Supply Corsair HX750i
Mouse Logitech G902 Lightspeed, Powerplay mousemat
Keyboard Logitech G910
Software Win11 X64 and stuff
I wasn't trying to troll, I was stating a fact and added my thoughts on intel giving a flying hoot about customers and what they pay.
I remember intel having a monopoly not so long ago and I remember how slow development was and how HIGH prices were.

It wasn't that long ago...

System Name Multipurpose desktop
Processor AMD Phenom II x6 1605T @ 3.75Ghz , NB @ 2.5
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 (rev 1.0)
Cooling Prolimatech Megahalems Rev. C, 2x120mm CM Blademaster
Memory Corsair Vengeance LP (4x4GB) @1666Mhz 9-9-9-20-24 1T
Video Card(s) ASUS Strix R7-370 4GB OC
Storage 2x WD Caviar Black 500GB Sata III in RAID 0
Display(s) Acer S211HL 21.5" 1920x1080
Case Cooler Master Centurion 534+, 3x 120mm CM Sickle Flow
Power Supply Seasonic X650 Gold
Software Windows 7 x64 Home Premium SP1
I wasn't trying to troll, I was stating a fact and added my thoughts on intel giving a flying hoot about customers and what they pay.
I remember intel having a monopoly not so long ago and I remember how slow development was and how HIGH prices were.

It wasn't that long ago...

True. But Intel is also a publicly traded company, where the executives hold both stock options and actual company stock. It is in their best personal interests to make sure that Intel is always producing the next latest thing, whether it be a cpu or some other electronics component; their net worth increases. Not to mention the stock portfolios of every owner of their stock.
Production and marketing creates the market, which creates the revenue flow, which creates the profits, which increases the stock price, which makes everyone happy. Rinse and repeat.
It's a process that works for them, for Apple, for countless other companies.

Reactions: w3b