• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Proview Taiwan Charges Apple with Fraud and Unfair Competition

Taiwan-based Proview Electronics Company, Ltd., ("Proview Taiwan"), a leading producer of high-quality monitors for computers and media devices, announced today that it has filed an amended complaint in California Superior Court in Santa Clara, accusing Apple Inc. of fraud and unfair competition.

Separately, in another action, Shenzhen-based Proview Technology Shenzhen Co, Ltd. continues to pursue litigation against Apple in China. In the Chinese lawsuit, Proview Technology Shenzhen Co, Ltd. has demonstrated that the IPAD trademark for Mainland China was never assigned to Apple or its affiliates. The legal questions and remedies in the China and U.S. lawsuits are separate and distinct and have no bearing on one another.

The amended complaint was filed to provide additional information regarding Apple's fraudulent actions committed against Proview. Among the many allegations in the U.S complaint are fraud by intentional misrepresentation, fraud by concealment, fraudulent inducement, and unfair competition. The complaint provides evidence that the December 23, 2009 agreement that Proview Taiwan entered into was fraudulently induced by the concealment and suppression of material facts by Apple's agents, and that, as a result, the 2009 agreement is void. Once the agreement is voided for fraud, the iPad trademarks in the European Union, South Korea, Mexico, Singapore, Indonesia, Thailand, and Vietnam will revert back to Proview Taiwan.

As the U.S. complaint alleges, Apple was pressed for time as it sought to acquire the IPAD trademarks, in advance of a January 27, 2010 announcement to launch the Apple iPad. In addition, Apple was predisposed to use deception to obtain the trademarks from Proview Taiwan because it knew from prior dealings with Proview Taiwan that Proview Taiwan opposed Apple's use of similar trademarks. To further this deception, Apple used an intermediary, Farncombe International and its Managing Director, Graham Robinson, to create an elaborate but false pretext for the purchase of Proview's IPAD trademarks. Apple created a special purpose company named IP Application Development Limited ("IPAD Ltd."), then concealed the fact that this company was acting as an agent of Apple. Graham Robinson further concealed Apple's involvement by adopting a false alias, Jonathan Hargreaves, which he used when negotiating with Proview.

Shortly before the launch of Apple's tablet device, Robinson, working on behalf of Apple, blatantly misled Proview regarding IPAD Ltd.'s business and IPAD Ltd.'s intended use of the trademark. When Robinson was asked why IPAD Ltd. wanted the IPAD trademark, he replied that it was because IPAD "is an abbreviation for the company name IP Application Development Limited."

The amended complaint reveals that Robinson evaded direct questions from Proview as to the nature of his business by stating that "[IPAD Ltd.] is a newly formed company, and I'm sure you can understand that we are not ready to publicize what the company's business is, since we have not yet made any public announcements". As I said in my last message, I can assure you that the company will not compete with Proview." As Proview Taiwan now knows, these statements by Apple's agent were patently false.

"While some technology companies create special purpose vehicles in order to obtain trademarks, in this case the sole function of Apple's special purpose vehicle was intentional misrepresentation, and an effort to fraudulently induce Proview Taiwan into a sale of the IPAD trademarks," said Cal Kenney, Spokesman of Proview Taiwan.

"Proview Taiwan had concerns about the purchaser's intentions, and was very diligent in trying to understand the facts surrounding its interest in Proview Taiwan's IPAD trademarks. But even careful diligence is ineffective when the counterparty is engaging in intentional fraud," said Cal Kenney.

The relief Proview Taiwan seeks from Apple includes compensatory damages and disgorgement of Apple's profits from the unfair competition, as well as an injunction to stop Apple's continued use of the fraudulently-obtained trademarks.

"Apple obtained the iPad trademark by defrauding Proview Taiwan through tactics that involved explicit misrepresentations, and the use of foreign entities specifically created to perpetrate the fraud," said Cal Kenney. "By filing the complaint in the California Superior Court, Proview Taiwan seeks the truth about who at Apple orchestrated the fraud, and the specifics of how it was implemented. Proview Taiwan believes that when the truth is exposed, the full weight of Apple's fraudulent and nefarious behavior will be revealed and the appropriate remedies will be obtained."

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Moose 5800X3D
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 3.4Ghz 4.5Ghz Boost 96MB L3 Cache
Motherboard Asus Prime X570-P
Cooling Custom Liquid Cooling covering CPU and GPU including liquid backplate for graphics memory cooling
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 DRAM 3600MHz CL18
Video Card(s) PNY GeForce RTX 3090 XLR8 Gaming 24GB
Storage WD Black SN770 2 TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 + 2x WD Caviar Black 750GB
Display(s) AOC 34" CU34G2/BK Ultra Wide @ 3440x1440
Case Thermaltake Level 20 HT
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply Corsair TX850M 850W Semi Modular
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Rii K61c
Software Windows 11 Pro
Couldn't happen to a more deserving company, how does it feel now Apple when other people claim you are using things they own?

I am a fence sitter with apple. I do like and use apple products everyday, but as a company they are without a doubt one of the scummiest I've ever read about. I have no doubts that everything proview says is correct.

The irony is apples 'Image is everything' concept when their own image is that of a turd in lawyers clothing.

enaher

System Name One does not simply have enough cash for INTEL
Processor Athlon II 450 3.8ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FX-UD3
Cooling Cooler Master 212+
Memory 4x4gb Corsair DDR3
Video Card(s) 2x 5830 Sapphire 950c/1150m CF
Storage 2x Seagate 500GB Raid0 + Samsung 1TB
Display(s) BenQ G2220HDA
Case Xigmatek ASGARD PRO
Power Supply SeasonicX 750w
Software W7 x64 Ultimate
That's just to show how out of control the patent system is, greed gonna be the end of us, funny how all this chaos always benefits the chinese, every greedy corportaion bends themselves to to the chinese to get a piece of the pie and at some point it gonna bite their asses.

Processor Intel i7-940 @ 3.5Ghz
Motherboard Asus P6X58D-E
Cooling Corsair H70
Memory 12GB OCZ Platinum XTC DDR3 1600mhz CL7
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 780ti
Storage Revodrive X2 240GB, 5TB HDD storage
Display(s) Asus PB278Q 27''
Case Antec Lanboy Air
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D2X
Power Supply Corsair HX850W
Software Windows 7 x64
If I understand this correctly.... Apple formed a bloody company called IPAD ltd. with the express purpose of dominating the market with trademarks and thus lawsuits, and then lied about it? And now Proview Taiwan is bringing it out in the open.

Where can I buy Proview Taiwan stuff? I want Proview Taiwan stuff.

Unless... Proview Taiwan is secretly owned by Apple and it's some kind of extremely clever propaganda

We're all going to die

Last edited:
System Name Homelabs
Processor Ryzen 5900x | Ryzen 1920X
Motherboard Asus ProArt x570 Creator | AsRock X399 fatal1ty gaming
Cooling Silent Loop 2 280mm | Dark Rock Pro TR4
Memory 128GB (4x32gb) DDR4 3600Mhz | 128GB (8x16GB) DDR4 2933Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 | ASUS Strix GTX 970
Storage Optane 900p + NVMe | Optane 900p + 8TB SATA SSDs + 48TB HDDs
Display(s) Alienware AW3423dw QD-OLED | HP Omen 32 1440p
Case be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 | be quiet! Silent Base 800
Power Supply Corsair RM750x + sleeved cables| EVGA P2 750W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate (still has buttons on the right side, crucial as I'm a southpaw)
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite, Pro Type | Logitech G915 TKL
Yea a company called IPAD to buy the Ipad name on behalf of Apple is not just questionable, it's obvious that they are guilty

System Name White Boy
Processor Core i7 3770k @4.6 Ghz
Motherboard ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe
Cooling CORSAIR H100
Memory CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB @ 2177
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 680 CLASSIEFIED @ 1250 Core
Storage 2 Samsung 830 256 GB (Raid 0) 1 Hitachi 4 TB
Display(s) 1 Dell 30U11 30"
Case BIT FENIX Prodigy
Audio Device(s) none
Power Supply SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W Modular
Software Windows Pro 7 64 bit || Ubuntu 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores 2017 Unigine Heaven :: P37239 3D Mark Vantage
Hope they take apple for a ton of money.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
Yea a company called IPAD to buy the Ipad name on behalf of Apple is not just questionable, it's obvious that they are guilty

Not forgetting that the Apple agent used an alias to do the business. This is top notch stuff.

I also have nothing against the products as they are genuinely decent gadgets. It is their self given image of the worlds greatest tech innovator and pompous self importance that does my box in.

System Name Dust Collector
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
Motherboard Asus B550I Aorus Pro WiFi AX
Cooling Alpenfohn Black Ridge V2 w/ Noctua NF-A9x14
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3200MHz/CL16
Video Card(s) Power Color Red Dragon RX 5700 XT
Storage Samsung EVO+ 500GB NVMe
Display(s) Dell S2721DGF
Case Dan Case A4
Power Supply Corsair SF600 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Logitech G613
Older articles on this topic made Proview out to be some bitter little kid that gave away a pack of candy with a prize in it, and then wanted takebacks. I'm getting the bigger picture here and it seems Apple is... well.. a shitty company. Go figure, I had no clue.

Processor Intel Core i3-8100
Motherboard ASRock H370 Pro4
Cooling Cryorig M9i
Memory 16GB G.Skill Aegis DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 WindForce OC 3GB
Storage Crucial MX500 512GB SSD
Display(s) Dell S2316M LCD
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Corsair CX600M
Mouse Logitech M500
Keyboard Lenovo KB1021 USB
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
I can see the fraud and deception charges, but unfair competition? Proview had nothing that could compete with Apple's iPad. The Proview iPAD looks more like an old iMac (the kind with a built-in CRT).

trickson

OH, I have such a headache
System Name Ryzen TUF.
Processor AMD Ryzen7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF X570 Gaming Plus
Cooling Noctua
Memory Gskill RipJaws 3466MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TUF 1650 Super Clocked.
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S750H
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Software Windows 10 64 bit Home OEM
Now that Jobs is gone they are going after them? What was wrong with going after them when he was alive?

System Name i7-PC / HTPC / iMac
Processor i7 3820 / Phenom II 940
Motherboard GIGABYTE G1.ASSASSIN2 / M3A79-T Deluxe
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100i / Scythe II (HS only)
Memory G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600mhz / 4GB DDR2 1066 (@800) Corsair Dominator
Video Card(s) GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB / GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB
Storage 2x 80GB Intel X-25, 2x600gb SATA, 1x1tb 5400RPM storage /1x600GB, 3x500GB,1x160,1x120 SATA
Display(s) 1x 27" Yamakasi / Vizio 42" HDTV
Case Lian Li Lancool PC-K58 / Antec 900
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Striker 7.1 / Onboard and HDMI from ATi Card
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750W / 610W
Software Ubuntu / Windows 8.1 Pro / OS X / PHPStorm / Gaming
that wasn't the time they felt ready? i don't know if i'd bring jobs death into it at all. i don't think the decision to go to court had anything to do with that.

who cares it's a name, just because you see apple wants the name vs "generic company" you want more money to buy that name for trademark? That seems silly to me that so much value is given to just a name and nothing about the product itself. Apple is a scummy company but sitting on trademarks from failed products is pretty shitty too. Although at least they made something called "I-PAD"; not just got the name like ppl who sit on domain names and do nothing with it.

trickson

OH, I have such a headache
System Name Ryzen TUF.
Processor AMD Ryzen7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF X570 Gaming Plus
Cooling Noctua
Memory Gskill RipJaws 3466MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TUF 1650 Super Clocked.
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S750H
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Software Windows 10 64 bit Home OEM
Every time I hear I-Pad I think of some chick on the rag! LOL.

System Name Homelabs
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate (still has buttons on the right side, crucial as I'm a southpaw)
who cares it's a name, just because you see apple wants the name vs "generic company" you want more money to buy that name for trademark? That seems silly to me that so much value is given to just a name and nothing about the product itself. Apple is a scummy company but sitting on trademarks from failed products is pretty shitty too. Although at least they made something called "I-PAD"; not just got the name like ppl who sit on domain names and do nothing with it.

The product they made was in the same field for one.

Second, it's like saying business that are charged more for internet then residential is nonesense. Or India has cheaper prices for everything, USA should have the same prices. No, India's average income is not the same at all then the USA's

Third, Supply and demand. They had something Apple really wanted, but for them it was pretty much useless. They see this company that will definitively not compete with them called IPAD asking for the name, they tell themselves ahh wth, why not give it to them and get a bit of money WE ARE GONNA GO BANKRUPT SOON IF THIS CONTINUES NEED EVERY DOLLAR WE CAN GET... Not only is that ipad an electronic like their IPAD, but the name was misused completely, IPAD ltd. lied about their actual use and demand for it, therefore IMO, not only should ProView keep the money from what they got for the IPAD name, they should retain possession of the name and if Apple wants it, they better do it correctly

System Name 2nd AMD puppy
Processor FX-8350 vishera
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper TX2
Memory 16 Gb DDR3:8GB Kingston HyperX Beast + 8Gb G.Skill Sniper(by courtesy of tabascosauz &TPU)
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+;1450/2000 Mhz
Storage SSD :840 pro 128 Gb;Iridium pro 240Gb ; HDD 2xWD-1Tb
Display(s) Benq XL2730Z 144 Hz freesync
Case NZXT 820 PHANTOM
Audio Device(s) Audigy SE with Logitech Z-5500
Power Supply Riotoro Enigma G2 850W
Mouse Razer copperhead / Gamdias zeus (by courtesy of sneekypeet & TPU)
Keyboard MS Sidewinder x4
Software win10 64bit ltsc
Benchmark Scores irrelevant for me
now apple has a i-shit in court

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
Apple with Fraud and Unfair Competition
i guess most people would say yes when they asked about this

System Name Aluminum Mallard
Processor Ryzen 1900x
Motherboard AsRock Phantom 6
Cooling AIO
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) EVGA 3080Ti FTW
Storage SSD
Display(s) Benq Zowie
Case Cosmos 1000
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Corsair CX750
VR HMD HTV Vive, Valve Index
Software Arch Linux
Benchmark Scores 31 FPS in Dalaran
This is a legitimate complaint.

If Apple, Inc. actually formed another company to purchase the iPad name at a much lower rate than they otherwise could, it's straight up fraud and Proview deserves compensation. It sounds pretty elaborate and I can't wait to see what happens at trial.

Shoggoth

the full weight of Apple's fraudulent and nefarious behavior

This line is the best; it really captures the essence of Apple.

Ahhzz

Staff member
System Name OrangeHaze / Silence
Processor i7-13700KF / i5-10400 /
Motherboard ROG STRIX Z690-E / MSI Z490 A-Pro Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H75 / TT ToughAir 510
Memory 64Gb GSkill Trident Z5 / 32GB Team Dark Za 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2070 / Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X 4Gb
Storage Hynix Plat P41 2Tb\Samsung MZVL21 1Tb / Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb
Display(s) 22" Dell Wide/24" Asus
Case Lian Li PC-101 ATX custom mod / Antec Lanboy Air Black & Blue
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy 7.1
Power Supply Corsair Enthusiast TX750
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless / Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard K68 RGB — CHERRY® MX Red
Software Win10 Pro \ RIP:Win 7 Ult 64 bit
Eh, as much as I'm not really an Apple fan... at all... more like, don't like to use the products, will never own an iphone if I can help it, etc.... I think that Proview is just being a little bitch that they could have gotten more money if they had known it was Apple. Not that they think they're DUE more money... Kinda like "Yeah, I'll sell this car to Poor Cousin Joe for $200..oh Wait, it's for Rich Uncle Bob?? Oh HELLS no!! That man has the cash!!! Gimme $5000!!!!"

System Name Homelabs
So Congo people should be paying UK prices for everything? That wouldn't be fair, but why would UK people paying Congo prices be any fairer?

Also not Proview is in financial trouble, they needed ever penny they could get when they sold that, it was a desperation sell. So say you sold gold at 100$/oz to a local jeweler to promote the economy (and get money ASAP), plus the jeweler makes jewelry, while you make gold teeth. But low and behold, the jeweler actually was secretly owned by a dentistry company that makes vampire gold teeth. Sure it doesn't directly compete with you but its still similar AND you just sold gold worth 2000$/oz at 100$...

idk my analogies suck and I really need to sleep, but understand that this isn't Proview being greedy

System Name Moose 5800X3D
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 3.4Ghz 4.5Ghz Boost 96MB L3 Cache
Motherboard Asus Prime X570-P
Cooling Custom Liquid Cooling covering CPU and GPU including liquid backplate for graphics memory cooling
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 DRAM 3600MHz CL18
Video Card(s) PNY GeForce RTX 3090 XLR8 Gaming 24GB
Storage WD Black SN770 2 TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 + 2x WD Caviar Black 750GB
Display(s) AOC 34" CU34G2/BK Ultra Wide @ 3440x1440
Case Thermaltake Level 20 HT
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply Corsair TX850M 850W Semi Modular
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Rii K61c
Software Windows 11 Pro