• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Core i7-3770K "Ivy Bridge" Offers Solid Performance and Efficiency

tedy

I'm definitely upgrading my 2500K to a 3770K.. I just hope AsRock updates their bios like they said they would. If not, I suppose I need a new HTPC and my current setup will work great for that.

for what? 10fps more? ;)

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
I'm definitely upgrading my 2500K to a 3770K.. I just hope AsRock updates their bios like they said they would. If not, I suppose I need a new HTPC and my current setup will work great for that.

I am in the same boat here. I have noticed MSI and Gigabyte getting on the band wagon with the 22nm bios updates. Wished ASrock would as well.

trickson

OH, I have such a headache
System Name Ryzen TUF.
Processor AMD Ryzen7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF X570 Gaming Plus
Cooling Noctua
Memory Gskill RipJaws 3466MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TUF 1650 Super Clocked.
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S750H
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Software Windows 10 64 bit Home OEM
Why are you always the first one to bring up Bulldozer's performance in Intel threads.

Why are you always the first to say something negative about Bulldozer in Intel threads?

Why are you always use an insult like "Nodozer" or something equally as silly.

Stop spreading false news based on two charts. Read the entire Anantech Bulldozer review beginning to end, Bulldozer is faster than Phenom II in majority tests.

Because I can.

This is an Intel thread! Ivy bridge is so much faster and has so much more performance per core than Nodozer that it looks to like it is going to take an entire remake of the architecture and another generation just for AMD to actually catch up!
I am a fanboy of innovation and I think you fail to take that into account when you FLAME on me for pointing some thing out that I see! What now, I am not entitled to an opinion because of you?
I swear You must have some kind of program that goes off any time I say some thing about Bulldozer or AMD or you just like to troll every post I make. You really need to get off my back.

Last edited:
System Name My baby
Processor Athlon II X4 620 @ 3.5GHz, 1.45v, NB @ 2700Mhz, HT @ 2700Mhz - 24hr prime95 stable
Motherboard Asus M4A785TD-V EVO
Cooling Sonic Tower Rev 2 with 120mm Akasa attached, Akasa @ Front, Xilence Red Wing 120mm @ Rear
Memory 8 GB G.Skills 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) ATI ASUS Crossfire 5850
Storage Crucial MX100 SATA 2.5 SSD
Display(s) Lenovo ThinkVision 27" (LEN P27h-10)
Case Antec VSK 2000 Black Tower Case
Audio Device(s) Onkyo TX-SR309 Receiver, 2x Kef Cresta 1, 1x Kef Center 20c
Power Supply OCZ StealthXstream II 600w, 4x12v/18A, 80% efficiency.
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
Ugh, it is faster than 80286 too, does that mean that AMD beats Intel ? No. Comparison with obsolete out of production chips hardly makes sense ... especially when the margin of improvement is so tiny (and all thanks to the incease in number of cores rather than IPC increase).

What has this got to do with anything I said?

Because I can.

This is an Intel thread! Ivy bridge is so much faster and has so much more performance per core than Nodozer that it looks to like it is going to take an entire remake of the architecture and another generation just for AMD to actually catch up!
I am a fanboy of innovation and I think you fail to take that into account when you FLAME on me for pointing some thing out that I see! What now, I am not entitled to an opinion because of you?
I swear You must have some kind of program that goes off any time I say some thing about Bulldozer or AMD or you just like to troll every post I make. You really need to get off my back.

You dont need a paragraph to mask your nonsense.

It's clear calling Bulldozer Nodozer will piss people off, so expect to be flamed for it.

And it's clear talking about Bulldozer negatively in EVERY SINGLE thread without adding anything constructive to the debate will piss people off, so again expect to be flamed.

Last edited:

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
I think the topic needs to stay on track. This is about Ivy Bridge's performance, not Bulldozer's.

As far as performance improvement, the amount of improvement is fairly minor, it's power consumption that got a large boost for loaded workloads. Idle power consumption hasn't improved a whole lot.

As far as improvement over the 3820 and the 2600k, it's pretty minor in most cases with an average of what? 5%? It's a revision of the same architecture so you're not going to see a lot of performance benefits on IVB over SB as far as IPC in concerned. Now we will have to wait to see how it over-clocks, because lower loaded consumption will benefit over-clocks if voltage vs temperature scales equally as well.

Then again it might not, because smaller circuitry will increase resistance, even more so as temperature increases.
Edit: For those who haven't learned how resistance and circuit heating works, I recommend reading a little bit about Ohm's law and Ohmic Heating... but for those who are too lazy to learn some Physics, basically as resistance stays the same (which it doesn't resistance goes up with temperature,) voltage increases will exponentially increase the amount of heat generated. With that said a 32nm wire has less resistance than a 22nm wire. So the same voltage on different sized wires will result in a higher temperature on the 22nm chip. This is only true if the 22nm aren't as long as the 32nm counter-part, so we won't really know until we can test it but theoretically with a similarly size die, temperature at the same voltage will increase. :)

All in all, IVB 3770k looks like it is going to be a nice chip, but it's not worth an upgrade over a 2600k and a couple bins up on turbo will close that gap very quickly. Keep in mind clock-for-clock, IVB will be almost the same as SB.

Last edited:

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech

It's clear calling Bulldozer Nodozer will piss people off, so explect to be flamed for it.

And it's clear talking about Bulldozer negatively in EVERY SINGLE thread without adding anything constructive to the debate will piss people off, so again expect to be flamed.

It is clear that you are a fanboy. I only said
Did any one else see on the chart how the Phenom II X4 was better than the Nodozer?
Then you flame on me for it.

What every single post? I have NOT! Bulldozer is a fine CPU, I was talking about the CHART and the numbers do not LIE! Ivy bridge and many other Intel chips are going to be higher in price, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR! Want lightning fast performance? Then you will have to pay for the better product.
Thing that makes me angry about it is that AMD has taken a step backwards! They have caused a mess for every one! Look if Intel keeps on this path AMD is out! And that is NOT going to be good at all! Right now the price of Intel's offering is way too high as it is, If AMD could match this it would lower prices across the field! With Ivy bridge it looks like it is going to take more than AMD is willing to do! :shadedshu

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Software MacOS 12.1
It is clear that you are a fanboy. I only said Then you flame on me for it.

What every single post? I have NOT! Bulldozer is a fine CPU, I was talking about the CHART and the numbers do not LIE! Ivy bridge and many other Intel chips are going to be higher in price, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR! Want lightning fast performance? Then you will have to pay for the better product.
Thing that makes me angry about it is that AMD has taken a step backwards! They have caused a mess for every one! Look if Intel keeps on this path AMD is out! And that is NOT going to be good at all! Right now the price of Intel's offering is way too high as it is, If AMD could match this it would lower prices across the field! With Ivy bridge it looks like it is going to take more than AMD is willing to do! :shadedshu

Stay on topic and stop flaming. AMD isn't focusing on top-end, "future is fusion," has been AMD's motto not "future is performance."

System Name My baby
Processor Athlon II X4 620 @ 3.5GHz, 1.45v, NB @ 2700Mhz, HT @ 2700Mhz - 24hr prime95 stable
Motherboard Asus M4A785TD-V EVO
Cooling Sonic Tower Rev 2 with 120mm Akasa attached, Akasa @ Front, Xilence Red Wing 120mm @ Rear
Memory 8 GB G.Skills 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) ATI ASUS Crossfire 5850
Storage Crucial MX100 SATA 2.5 SSD
Display(s) Lenovo ThinkVision 27" (LEN P27h-10)
Case Antec VSK 2000 Black Tower Case
Audio Device(s) Onkyo TX-SR309 Receiver, 2x Kef Cresta 1, 1x Kef Center 20c
Power Supply OCZ StealthXstream II 600w, 4x12v/18A, 80% efficiency.
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
It is clear that you are a fanboy. I only said Then you flame on me for it.

How can I be a fan boy? Do you ever see me trash talking Intel? No!

Do you ever see me referring to Intel negatively? No!

Do you ever see me calling Intel an unassigned and unofficial name? No.

So, apparently me being respectful towards Intel and their very high quality product makes me a fan boy? - You are not very smart, one would presume.

What every single post? I have NOT! Bulldozer is a fine CPU, I was talking about the CHART and the numbers do not LIE! Ivy bridge and many other Intel chips are going to be higher in price, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!

What has this got to do with anything? Did you even comprehend my original post?

I never said the chart lied. I never said you didn't get what you paid for. I never brought up number or prices at all or performance comparisons.

All I said, paraphrasing. "trickson why do you always talk about AMD negatively in every thread". Where did you get performance and prices from????

It's amazing, how can you respond when you don't even understand or comprehend the topic matter of what you are responding to lol

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Stay on topic and stop flaming. AMD isn't focusing on top-end, "Future is Fusion," has been AMD's motto not "Future is performance."

Yeah, Ivy bridge is a small step in the right direction. Leads me to wonder if they are about to tap out the architecture of the current offerings. a 10% performance increase is not much, But still some thing. Are they at there max? Or is there more? I would also like to know one other thing do these have the 3D transistors that Intel was talking about a year or so ago?

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
Yeah, Ivy bridge is a small step in the right direction. Leads me to wonder if they are about to tap out the architecture of the current offerings. a 10% performance increase is not much, But still some thing. Are they at there max? Or is there more? I would also like to know one other thing do these have the 3D transistors that Intel was talking about a year or so ago?

The goal of tri-state transistors and 22nm is to reduce power consumption and to keep up with Moore's Law. Haswell is Intel's next architecture revision, and more maturity of the 22nm process so don't expect too much from IVB, after all it is a "tock" iteration. Thank you for finally posting a reply that's on topic. Let's keep it that way. :cool:

Edit: That includes you too Dent1, I'm not singling trickson out. We don't need a flame war, but I appreciate both of you not pushing this further. :)

Edit: IVB will benefit low-power platforms more than anything else.

Last edited:

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
The goal of tri-state transistors and 22nm is to reduce power consumption and to keep up with Moore's Law. Haswell is Intel's next architecture revision, and more maturity of the 22nm process so don't expect too much from IVB, after all it is a "tock" iteration. Thank you for finally posting a reply that's on topic. Let's keep it that way. :cool:

Edit: IVB will benefit low-power platforms more than anything else.

Cool, So this is why the power is lower on ivy bridge. Cool, It is nice to see them 3D transistors in action.

Last edited:

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
Going to be interesting! Cant wait to trade in my ol cpu for the new 22nm

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Going to be interesting! Cant wait to trade in my ol cpu for the new 22nm

Are you NUTS? Your CPU is FAR from OLD! Look at mine! Now that is OLD! :shadedshu

System Name Ultima
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard MSI Mag B550M Mortar
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 rev4 w/ Ryzen offset mount
Memory G.SKill Ripjaws V 2x16GB DDR4 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 12GB Dual
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB Gen4, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB , 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD sata,
Display(s) ASUS TUF VG249Q3A 24" 1080p 165-180Hz VRR
Case DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200 Audio/Nvidia HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair RM650
Mouse Rog Strix Impact 3 Wireless | Wacom Intuos CTH-480
Keyboard A4Tech B314 Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro
i want an i5 3570k for my board >.<

Yo_Wattup

System Name Desktop/Gamer/Digital Audio Wokstation ||| HTPC
Processor 2500k @ 4.65ghz ||| AMD A8 @ 3.6ghz
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V Pro
Cooling Noctua NH-D14 with single Blue Antec Tri-Cool 120mm ||| Stock
Memory 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 @1900mhz 8-9-9-24 ||| 8GB G.Skill 1600 CL9
Video Card(s) 2x HIS HD6950 2GB Crossfire, 6970 clocks ||| HD6550D
Storage 120GB Intel 320 series SSD + 2TB storage ||| 1TB Seagate
Display(s) 32" Sony Bravia LCD 1080p ||| 50" Hitachi Plasma 1080p
Case Raidmax Raptor modded to 7 fans ||| A compact HP Case
Audio Device(s) Firewire audio interface + two 9" studio monitors, 450 REAL watts ||| onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX 750W ||| generic 400W
Software Win 7 Ultimate + Win 8 consumer preview||| Win 7 Pro
Benchmark Scores Never drops below 60fps Battlefield 3 everything on max, fov 90. :D
The silver bullet is OC headroom. Being able to do ~5 GHz with stock cooling.

:sceptical:

for what? 10fps more? ;)

How is that not a worthy improvement? I'd pay $300 any day of the week for a 10fps boost. Plus, gaming isnt the only cpu intensive applications in the world.... I shall be upgrading my 2500k to a 3770k for the extra threads and overclockability for my audio production applications. :) Should be good, I could use some more cpu power :eek:

Because I can.

First post ever where I agree with trickson. :nutkick: :roll:

Dent1 stop derailing and fanboying please. :wtf: :roll: :toast:

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
Nice performance for the 3770K. A better comparison would have been with the 2700K...
Anyways, can the internal GPU be totally disabled?? I mean completely shut down when running with a dedicated PCI-EX video card??

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
:sceptical:

Max. BClk multiplier of Ivy Bridge is 64X, that's higher than the max. multiplier of Sandy Bridge (57X). Then Ivy Bridge uses tri-gate transistors that [by design] drop power draw dramatically, improving temperatures. Stable 5 GHz on stock air-cooling is not far-fetched. Both extreme overclockers and PC enthusiasts gain.

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit

yep im hoping the same thing. My first thing though is to get off this GTX470

System Name Primary Rig
Processor e8500 Q822A549 4.5ghz AIR
Motherboard Foxconn Mars P35
Cooling TRUE
Memory 2 x2GB Patriot Viper 1066 5-5-5-12 @ 1.8v
Video Card(s) Sapphire 5870 Unlocked
Storage 300gb Velociraptor
Display(s) Dell 24" Ultrasharp
Case Coolermaster CM690
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750w Quad Silencer
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x86

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro

It's clear calling Bulldozer Nodozer will piss people off, so expect to be flamed for it.

Who the hell cares in bulldozer is faster then Phenom II. Thats a given, obviously. And in some benchmarks core for core performance is slower then Phenom II. Read more then one review, not just anandtechs. Bulldozer was meant to compete and hopefully beat intels options, but it massively failed to do that. It may have come in pretty close in some respects, but it still failed.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1

That's because of the circuitry size. 22nm wire has more electrical resistance (and impedance, for wires with varying voltage such as the cpu clock,) than 32nm wire.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_resistivity_and_conductivity which explains why resistance goes up as wires get smaller (current density increases because the wires are smaller.)

and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joule_heating which explains why it gets hotter with higher resistances.

Also as temperature increases, so does resistance, so generally speaking a 22nm has more heat issues at higher power levels. Tri-gate transistors are a good idea but it doesn't make the wires any less resistant to an EMF, actually it is the exact opposite.

Edit: I feel like I've explained this 4 times in the last week. :mad:

Last edited:

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
Who the hell cares in bulldozer is faster then Phenom II. Thats a given, obviously. And in some benchmarks core for core performance is slower then Phenom II. Read more then one review, not just anandtechs. Bulldozer was meant to compete and hopefully beat intels options, but it massively failed to do that. It may have come in pretty close in some respects, but it still failed.

BD's IPC needs improvement but once they do they will be cramming more cores on the same area of die. You can't expect the first revision of a brand new architecture to be perfect over night. The thread is about IVB not BD, so why are we talking about this? I did ask everyone to stop on this topic since it isn't what this thread is about, and if you continue the flame war, I'm sure I won't be the only person reporting it.

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
BD's IPC needs improvement but once they do they will be cramming more cores on the same area of die. You can't expect the first revision of a brand new architecture to be perfect over night. The thread is about IVB not BD, so why are we talking about this? I did ask everyone to stop on this topic since it isn't what this thread is about, and if you continue the flame war, I'm sure I won't be the only person reporting it.

no i know, but seeing how long it took for BD to release, im pretty sure we can all agree on that fact we expected a lot more from it.

Now back to ivy bridge. I am hoping ot get one of these 3770k and a Z77 motherboard, because I heard that IB may not work on P67.