• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Completes Acquisition of SeaMicro

AvonX

So we all understand the vital importance this is for AMD. :)
I can see AMD making 5 x this little investment in a matter of about 5 to 7 years. That is good business.

LoL was that a joke?

Phxprovost

Xtreme Refugee
System Name Result of Boredom
Processor AMD FX-6350
Motherboard ASUS M5A97
Cooling Enzo Tech Extreme-X
Memory 16gb ddr3
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Display(s) Asus 24in (1920X1080) X 2 @144hz
Case NZXT S340
Software WIN7 64bit HP
So we all understand the vital importance this is for AMD. :)
I can see AMD making 5 x this little investment in a matter of about 5 to 7 years. That is good business.

Honestly I don't see this being important at all, and I don't see AMD even being around in 5-7 years. Call me crazy but it seems that the "big players" in the industry are starting to create proprietary systems with parts available on the market and want nothing to do with outside influence where it is not necessary.

Honestly I don't see this being important at all, and I don't see AMD even being around in 5-7 years. Call me crazy but it seems that the "big players" in the industry are starting to create proprietary systems with parts available on the market and want nothing to do with outside influence where it is not necessary.

I find that funny seeing as AMD is working towards a more forward thinking architecture than most of the other big players, with heterogeneous computing and all. And AMD does have both a fanbase and are looking to have superior chips in the low cost mainstream segment for consumers. The main thing they'll be competing with is ARM, which AMD is looking like they may design ARM chips as well in the future.
I wouldn't count AMD out just yet. Not to mention they have the legacy of ATI's discrete graphics line. And saying that will go away is rather unlikely, as they'll probably be around as long as desktops are, and I don't see desktops dying off completely so long as there are enthusiasts, schools, and small private servers who want desktops for their reliability and the fact that they stay in once place (hence the schools). Not to mention, there are people out there who don't like laptops, period.
But eh call me crazy for thinking desktops will probably survive a couple decades more, if but as a niche product.

AvonX

Well things are really hard for amd now.
It seams they are targeting them to kick them out of the game completely.
If amd really had cash for r&d they could do allot of good stuff.
That is what intel was always afraid of.

Well yes, they're hard for AMD right now, and it all comes down really to how their APUs and if their puchase of seamicro will help them get any ground in the server market.

de.das.dude

Pro Indian Modder
System Name Monke | Work Thinkpad| Old Monke
Processor Ryzen 5600X | Ryzen 5500U | FX8320
Motherboard ASRock B550 Extreme4 | ? | Asrock 990FX Extreme 4
Cooling 240mm Rad | Not needed | hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 Corsair RGB | 16 GB DDR4 3600 | 16GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX6700XT 12GB | Vega 8 | Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GB
Storage Samsung 980 nvme (Primary) | some samsung SSD
Display(s) Dell 2723DS | Some 14" 1080p 98%sRGB IPS | Dell 2240L
Case Ant Esports Tempered case | Thinkpad | Antec
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 | Jabra corpo stuff
Power Supply Corsair RM750e | not needed | Corsair GS 600
Mouse Logitech G400 | nipple
Keyboard Logitech G213 | stock kb is awesome | Logitech K230
VR HMD ;_;
Software Windows 10 Professional x3
Benchmark Scores There are no marks on my bench
$293 million is a lot of cash. What did they get for this really? Any performance gains to the CPU/GPU? I do not get what AMD is doing here. They seem to keep buying things up. What benefit is this going to be to the end-users. Get it now?:confused:

there is a difference between business growth and business development.

when you know that your researchers are poop and they will come up with same stuff even after you invest millions on them, its more feasible to increase your business.

Specially with the new tablet market springing up, demands for highly efficient processors are increasing. And it will keep increasing till portable devices exist.
This makes it a quite good investment.

AvonX

there is a difference between business growth and business development.

when you know that your researchers are poop and they will come up with same stuff even after you invest millions on them, its more feasible to increase your business.

Specially with the new tablet market springing up, demands for highly efficient processors are increasing. And it will keep increasing till portable devices exist.
This makes it a quite good investment.

I think you are partially correct but in a wrong way.
When you have the correct basis,fabs and lots of cash your researchers will not be poop as you are saying.
Yes the purchase of Sea Micro was business move,AMD needs to increase cash flow.
It has nothing to do with researchers,AMD is fables now anyway.

System Name My baby
Processor Athlon II X4 620 @ 3.5GHz, 1.45v, NB @ 2700Mhz, HT @ 2700Mhz - 24hr prime95 stable
Motherboard Asus M4A785TD-V EVO
Cooling Sonic Tower Rev 2 with 120mm Akasa attached, Akasa @ Front, Xilence Red Wing 120mm @ Rear
Memory 8 GB G.Skills 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) ATI ASUS Crossfire 5850
Storage Crucial MX100 SATA 2.5 SSD
Display(s) Lenovo ThinkVision 27" (LEN P27h-10)
Case Antec VSK 2000 Black Tower Case
Audio Device(s) Onkyo TX-SR309 Receiver, 2x Kef Cresta 1, 1x Kef Center 20c
Power Supply OCZ StealthXstream II 600w, 4x12v/18A, 80% efficiency.
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
Why would Intel not have thought of this if it were such a smart move? Oh yeah Intel has such a HUGE share of the market already!

Intel is doing the same thing as far as acquisitions.

In fact the majority, if not all multi-nationals including Microsoft, Creative Labs, AMD, Intel etc survive by acquiring smaller companies.

Just to give you an example, Intel acquired McAfee for $7.68 billion. Despite Intel not being in desktop security business. But that is how companies grow. Business 101.

System Name Epsilon
Processor A12-9800E 35watts
Motherboard MSI Grenade AM4
Cooling Stock
Memory 2x4GB DDR4 2400 Kingston Hyper X
Video Card(s) Radeon R7 (IGP / APU)
Storage Samsung Spinpoint F1
Display(s) AOC 29" Ultra wide
Case Generic
Power Supply Antec Earthwatts 380w
Software Windows 10
Intel is doing the same thing as far as acquisitions.

In fact the majority, if not all multi-nationals including Microsoft, Creative Labs, AMD, Intel etc survive by acquiring smaller companies.

Just to give you an example, Intel acquired McAfee for $7.68 billion. Despite Intel not being in desktop security business. But that is how companies grow. Business 101.

Exactly, Intel also bought several other little companies. What intel needs is to buy a GPU company right now.

The most importants buy-outs we have seen so far is AMD buying ATI and Adobe buying macromedia. And why not, Oracle buying Sun Microsystems and Google buying Motorola.

Those were all noticeable by end users because everybody has flash installed, everybody can choose an ATI card, and everybody heard the term "java" and "android"

As we aren't going to see products for end users out of seamicro, it won't be noticeable for us. Hey nor even opteron is made for end users.

If you think about this, Texas Instruments is listed in the top ten greatests chip companies. Its not thanks to its calculators... nor even thanks to its ARM-compatible mobile chips line. Its thanks to the whole productline for industries and end users.

So yes, you get big by doing whatever it takes to make money. AMD should have bought small companies more often. Also, they should have keep Spansion.

System Name BlackDeath
Processor AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE c3 3.5GHz OC
Motherboard ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 790X ATX
Cooling CM Hyper 212+ Noctua Fan
Memory G.Skill Ripjaw 2x4gb, Kingston HyperX 2x4gb DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon HD 5770
Storage Seagate 7200.11 3x1.5TB RAID5 + Intel 520 180gb
Display(s) Samsung 2494 - 24"
Case CoolerMaster HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software Windows OS
Benchmark Scores Microsoft Sidewinder Mouse
Another day, another smaller company gobbled up by an bigger one.