• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD 6970 flash incompatible with new Asus motherboard bios

ThaSpacePope

Hey TPU!

Last summer I bought 2 MSI 6950s which I flashed to 6970s. Took about 10 mins to do both cards. In November I bought a new mobo/cpu, an Asus P8Z68-V Pro GEN3 and an i5-2500k.

Today I updated the bios to 3202 and upon reboot got no video.

Long story short, when I flip the video bios switch on my 6950s back to the factory bios, I get video. When I have it flipped to the power up flashed video, I get no video. Interestingly windows boots and everything either way, just with no video coming from my cards when flipped to the 6970 bios.

I called asus and they are telling me there is no way to flash back to an older bios version. WTF. Anyone got any ideas or a solution here? I can run my cards in 6950 mode for now but this really sucks!

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Try a different BIOS on the VGAs.

BIOSes on ASUS boards cannot be flashed backwards due to the core of the BIOS changing. You probably noticed the new font in BIOS as well which indicates this change.

It might also jsut be a driver issue, perhaps try uninstalling teh drivers and then re-install, or if you have an extra HDD, try a new OS and see if that fixes things.

Processor Core i5 4690K @ 3.5 GHz \\ C2Q Q6600 @ 3.4 GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 3 SLI \\ Asus P5K Deluxe
Cooling Thermaltake Water 3.0 Performer \\ Xigmatek Dark Knight
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 2x 4GB \\ Corsair XMS2 2x 2 GB
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE GTX 970 G1 Gaming v1.1 (Hynix) \\ Sapphire HD 6850
Storage Kingston SV200, 3 TB Seagate 7200.14 \\ 2x 320 GB WD Blue
Display(s) LG 24MP56HQ
Case Corsair Carbide 200R Windowed \\ CM 690
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150 \\ Audigy 2 ZS
Power Supply Adata HM850 \\ Corsair HX520
Mouse Logitech G602, SteelSeries Sensei Raw Frostblue, Corsair M65
Keyboard Logitech Media Keyboard Elite
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 \\ Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Hi,

There's a way to downgrade the bios of the Asus P8Z68, but it can be dangerous: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1629404

But it seems there's one poster at hardforum.com who has succeeded to downgrade the bios of his P8Z68-V Pro by using the method that's described in the mentioned hardforum.com's thread. But there are also people who have bricked their motherboard with this method.

Edit

Any did you try clearing the cmos/bios first (see the method in the motherboard's manual)? Do that first, and detach the cmos battery too and wait several minutes before putting it back. See if you can get video now with the modified HD 6950s in "HD 6970" mode.

Last edited:

ThaSpacePope

Hi,

There's a way to downgrade the bios of the Asus P8Z68, but it can be dangerous: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1629404

But it seems there's one poster at hardforum.com who has succeeded to downgrade the bios of his P8Z68-V Pro by using the method that's described in the mentioned hardforum.com's thread. But there are also people who have bricked their motherboard with this method.

Edit

Any did you try clearing the cmos/bios first (see the method in the motherboard's manual)? Do that first, and detach the cmos battery too and wait several minutes before putting it back. See if you can get video now with the modified HD 6950s in "HD 6970" mode.

I appreciate the link. I may have to try that method.

I may have to also try a new video bios for my MSI 6950s that is compatible somehow with this new mobo bios.

As for clearing the CMOS, yea, I did that. I have also reflashed the motherboard bios with the same version (3202) multiple times in multiple ways (from windows and from the bios). All of which are "successful". If I had a corrupt motherboard bios you'd think I wouldn't be able to do that.

So my conclusion here is that my mobo bios isn't corrupted, its just some sort of incompatibility or bug. I may want to just wait for the next bios update and see if that helps it. I don't know.

Display(s) LG 24MP56HQ
I appreciate the link. I may have to try that method.

I may have to also try a new video bios for my MSI 6950s that is compatible somehow with this new mobo bios.

As for clearing the CMOS, yea, I did that. I have also reflashed the motherboard bios with the same version (3202) multiple times in multiple ways (from windows and from the bios). All of which are "successful". If I had a corrupt motherboard bios you'd think I wouldn't be able to do that.

So my conclusion here is that my mobo bios isn't corrupted, its just some sort of incompatibility or bug. I may want to just wait for the next bios update and see if that helps it. I don't know.

But can you boot into Windows Safe mode with video/display? If so then it may be a driver problem, such as Lucid Virtu interfering with the HD 6950s?

ThaSpacePope

But can you boot into Windows Safe mode with video/display? If so then it may be a driver problem, such as Lucid Virtu interfering with the HD 6950s?

If I flip the bios switch on my video cards back to factory, that is, the MSI 6950, I can boot into windows no problem and I get video during strap, etc.

If I flip the bios switch on my video cards to the 6970 bios I flashed last June (and have been running full bore since with no problems at all) I get no video to my monitors from my video cards but windows does boot (strange huh?). I only know it boots because I hear the windows startup sound coming from my speakers and theres plenty of HD activity. But no video from my video cards from either the HDMI or displayports.

Yes it does seem like some sort of crazy incompatibility in the asus bios. Any thoughts on this situation?

Display(s) LG 24MP56HQ
That's sounds really weird. I thought the HD 6950 to 6970 mod only involves unlocking the shaders. It would be crazy if people with a real HD 6970 would lost display after such bios update.

Perhaps try disabling Lucid Virtu and the integrated Intel HD graphics in the processor in the bios? By the way, do you have display in the bios while the HD 6950 are in "HD 6970" mode, or you have to switch back to "HD 6950" mode to enter bios?

ThaSpacePope

That's sounds really weird. I thought the HD 6950 to 6970 mod only involves unlocking the shaders. It would be crazy if people with a real HD 6970 would lost display after such bios update.

Perhaps try disabling Lucid Virtu and the integrated Intel HD graphics in the processor in the bios? By the way, do you have display in the bios while the HD 6950 are in "HD 6970" mode, or you have to switch back to "HD 6950" mode to enter bios?

IIRC the 6970 bios i'm using is the genuine 6970 bios. I have reference cards so I was able to do it. Complete with 1.17v and everything. So in theory I should have a bone stock 6970 bios. I don't remember exactly what bios I have though. I may have just modded the shaders but I dont recall that. Is there a way to find out?

To answer your question: When i'm in "6970" mode I get no video AT ALL. I can do nothing in this mode visually. Windows boots however, I just get no video out. No motherboard beeps, nothing. Its almost like the RAMDAC isn't being initialized or something but the computer thinks everything is fine.

I have tried disabling Lucid in the bios, but it had no effect. I don't think theres an option to disable integrated graphics. If you know a way in this mobo's bios, please let me know. I googled and didn't find anything that showed it. As far as I can tell, its "off" until I plug something into one of the integrated graphics ports in the back.

Display(s) LG 24MP56HQ

ThaSpacePope

It does seem like the guy had a problem with 3101 similar to my own on 3202. Here is the crazy part: 3202 was posted February 24, almost 2 months ago. WTF Asus. I'm concluding here that Asus has really just FUBARed on this bios. And it has been 2 months since! :banghead:

I'm genuinely interested in whether 6970 "real owners" don't get video with 3202 bios now too.

I've learned my lesson here too: Don't assume that because Asus has a bios on their website that is 2 months old that it doesn't suck. And also don't assume you can downgrade back to your old bios!!!

I'm going to assume that my cards are just fine and I'll just have to wait for the next bios update from asus and hope that it resolves my problem. In the meantime i guess I'll get by with 6950s. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Gotta rep you and thank you for all your help TC. Really this community is one of the best if not the best on the net.

ThaSpacePope

Oh also, I called Asus support again and they are telling me its $24 for them to ship me a new bios chip with the old bios on it. Ridiculous. My other option is to RMA my board and have them put in the old bios chip themselves and then ship it out to me on their dime. Fools.

Display(s) LG 24MP56HQ
Sorry to hear that you either need to pay 24 bucks for that bios chip or have to rma the motherboard back to Asus. Why can't Asus just tell you and everyone else, who has this Intel Z68 motherboard from Asus, what's wrong with the latest bios? Just like you said it's already 2 months old. Isn't the bios checked before release? It doesn't seem to be a beta bios. Don't tell me that Asus is now too busy with focusing on the newer motherboards such as the Intel Z77 and so on.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Sorry to hear that you either need to pay 24 bucks for that bios chip or have to rma the motherboard back to Asus. Why can't Asus just tell you and everyone else, who has this Intel Z68 motherboard from Asus, what's wrong with the latest bios? Just like you said it's already 2 months old. Isn't the bios checked before release? It doesn't seem to be a beta bios. Don't tell me that Asus is now too busy with focusing on the newer motherboards such as the Intel Z77 and so on.

You have to remember these companies dont cover any end user modifications to any computer component, they Test the units with the factory cards, not unlocked ones.

In All Honesty Id trade that board in for a MSI/GB or AsRock

ThaSpacePope

You have to remember these companies dont cover any end user modifications to any computer component, they Test the units with the factory cards, not unlocked ones.

In All Honesty Id trade that board in for a MSI/GB or AsRock

The interesting part of this is the reports are that the bios doesn't work with normal 6970s. I cannot confirm that but googling shows people with 6970s having same problem. Whether they have unlocked cards too is unknown.

At this point i'll just make do with 6950s and wait for the next bios update. All I can say is how glad I am I have cards that I can just flip a switch with.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
The interesting part of this is the reports are that the bios doesn't work with normal 6970s. I cannot confirm that but googling shows people with 6970s having same problem. Whether they have unlocked cards too is unknown.

At this point i'll just make do with 6950s and wait for the next bios update. All I can say is how glad I am I have cards that I can just flip a switch with.

Definitly a Motherboard issue, asus pulled this shit during the P4 days

ThaSpacePope

Definitly a Motherboard issue, asus pulled this shit during the P4 days

Really? I've had asus mobos for at least 10 years and they have been completely trouble free in all those years. Knock on wood I guess, but the new EUFI bios seems to not be polished in terms of upgrading.

Can't go back to previous bios? Who the hell ever heard of that before. This is a feature/note I will require on all future motherboard buys: Ability to revert to previous bios.

ThaSpacePope

I posted this same message over on OCN and finally someone replied telling me ASUS did this on purpose to stop "cheaters" with flashed 6950s. He also mentioned something about non-genuine windows being in there too.

I find this to be quite dubious as what % of people have flashed 6970s? Maybe 1%? I doubt asus would put this kinda effort in, but I cannot really prove otherwise. I'd be interested to know if like say a z77 board doesn't work with a flashed 6970 too. That would point to some kind of policy from asus about it.

Display(s) LG 24MP56HQ
I posted this same message over on OCN and finally someone replied telling me ASUS did this on purpose to stop "cheaters" with flashed 6950s. He also mentioned something about non-genuine windows being in there too.

I find this to be quite dubious as what % of people have flashed 6970s? Maybe 1%? I doubt asus would put this kinda effort in, but I cannot really prove otherwise. I'd be interested to know if like say a z77 board doesn't work with a flashed 6970 too. That would point to some kind of policy from asus about it.

Then it's kinda weird, because I am sure many Asus branded AMD motherboards have unlock features for turning those Phenom II X2 cpus into Phenom II X4 cpus, or for locking the L3 cache on certain Athlon II cpus. Why would Asus let people unlock AMD processors but not the AMD videocards? If this goes on, then the Hyper SLI mods/patches wouldn't work in the very near future, at least on the Asus boards?

By the way, I don't get the non-genuine Windows OS part? It sounds more like Asus is trying to blame their own customers for a not properly working motherboard.

ThaSpacePope

Then it's kinda weird, because I am sure many Asus branded AMD motherboards have unlock features for turning those Phenom II X2 cpus into Phenom II X4 cpus, or for locking the L3 cache on certain Athlon II cpus. Why would Asus let people unlock AMD processors but not the AMD videocards? If this goes on, then the Hyper SLI mods/patches wouldn't work in the very near future, at least on the Asus boards?

By the way, I don't get the non-genuine Windows OS part? It sounds more like Asus is trying to blame their own customers for a not properly working motherboard.

The guy PMed me more about it.

Supposedly some of the windows hacks are at the bios level and so Asus put in some kind of block to disallow people from bios hacking to get windows to register genuine. I'm just relaying what he told me. I have genuine copies of windows, so iv'e never used a bios hack (former tech net subscription ftw).

On the topic of 6950 flashed he said he spoke with an asus engineer at length about it. According to him, asus had a TON of RMAs from people improperly flashing bioses to asus video cards then claiming it was a defect in the card. This all seems a little conspiracy-ish to me honestly but I cannot prove otherwise. All I know is my flashed 6970s worked perfectly on my asus P5Q-pro mobo and again on my p8z68-v pro gen 3 prior to this bios. :ohwell:

Display(s) LG 24MP56HQ
The guy PMed me more about it.

Supposedly some of the windows hacks are at the bios level and so Asus put in some kind of block to disallow people from bios hacking to get windows to register genuine. I'm just relaying what he told me. I have genuine copies of windows, so iv'e never used a bios hack (former tech net subscription ftw).

On the topic of 6950 flashed he said he spoke with an asus engineer at length about it. According to him, asus had a TON of RMAs from people improperly flashing bioses to asus video cards then claiming it was a defect in the card. This all seems a little conspiracy-ish to me honestly but I cannot prove otherwise. All I know is my flashed 6970s worked perfectly on my asus P5Q-pro mobo and again on my p8z68-v pro gen 3 prior to this bios. :ohwell:

I see now what they mean by non-genuine Windows thing. So people can hack their motherboard's bios to get their Windows OS "genuine". But even so, but that doesn't explain why your HD 6950s in "HD6970 mode" didn't work with the newest bios update for the motherboard. As for the improperly flashed videocards, well, as you said, both HD 6950's work in your other rigs, even in their "HD 6970" mode, so your cards aren't defective at all.

As for the HD 6950 to HD 6970 mod, didn't you flash your HD 6950 with a HD 6970 bios? How about using the other method, i.e. dumping the original bios from your HD 6950 and use this original HD 6950 bios instead to unlock the extra shaders (via editing with RBE). Maybe this would help?

ThaSpacePope

I see now what they mean by non-genuine Windows thing. So people can hack their motherboard's bios to get their Windows OS "genuine". But even so, but that doesn't explain why your HD 6950s in "HD6970 mode" didn't work with the newest bios update for the motherboard. As for the improperly flashed videocards, well, as you said, both HD 6950's work in your other rigs, even in their "HD 6970" mode, so your cards aren't defective at all.

As for the HD 6950 to HD 6970 mod, didn't you flash your HD 6950 with a HD 6970 bios? How about using the other method, i.e. dumping the original bios from your HD 6950 and use this original HD 6950 bios instead to unlock the extra shaders (via editing with RBE). Maybe this would help?

I've thought about going ahead and giving that a try. However with the imminent release of ivy bridge i'm guessing there will be another asus bios released pretty soon here. In the mean time 5 to 10% drop from 6970s to 6950s isn't that big a deal for me. Plus i am somewhat interested to see if a new bios fixes it. If it doesn't, i'll conclude that this conspiracy stuff has some merit to it.

ThaSpacePope

I just wanted to bump this thread and say that the only solution I found was to use my own 6950 bios and unlock the shaders with w1zzard's php script. Its not 6970 mind you, but at 1.1v it does do 900mhz/1375 stable. I'll have to just wait to see if/when asus releases a new bios to fix this issue. Perhaps this should be a sticky since most of the posts here are about 6950 flashing.

I *believe* the actual cause of this is Asus vendor flags. I can't prove it but my MSI R6950s both had the sapphire 6970 bios that was originally posted here. The cards with the sapphire bios ran perfectly until my asus motherboard bios flash and also perfectly in my ASRock HTPC (which I had to use to unlock the shaders).

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
I've had video issues with Asus mobos in the past too. My 4870x2 wouldn't work with my Maximus Formula until a newer BIOS update. Tried it with both the Maximus and Rampage bioses on the board.

Gbear

Hey TPU!

Last summer I bought 2 MSI 6950s which I flashed to 6970s. Took about 10 mins to do both cards. In November I bought a new mobo/cpu, an Asus P8Z68-V Pro GEN3 and an i5-2500k.

Today I updated the bios to 3202 and upon reboot got no video.

Long story short, when I flip the video bios switch on my 6950s back to the factory bios, I get video. When I have it flipped to the power up flashed video, I get no video. Interestingly windows boots and everything either way, just with no video coming from my cards when flipped to the 6970 bios.

I called asus and they are telling me there is no way to flash back to an older bios version. WTF. Anyone got any ideas or a solution here? I can run my cards in 6950 mode for now but this really sucks!

[
:) Have you solved that no video problem yet? I know I am coming to the party a little late but I just had a very similar experience with my new Rig. (i5 2500K /MSI Z77a-GD65 M/Board and a MSI R6950 2pm2d2gd5 single card that I flashed to 6970 using this bios(Sapphire.HD6970.2048.101124.rom) and it was great on my old rig (Q9550 LGA775 & also worked on my next upgrade to Z68 board with i5 2500K) but I got an opportunity to swap my z68 board for a new MSI Z77a-GD65 board and well as I mentioned ended up with that no video problem and after some reading solved the issue by flashing the Video card bios with this bios string (MSI.HD6950.2048.101123_1.rom) now I know it’s not as cool as the Sapphire Bios with 880 MHz Core Clock & 1375 MHz on the memory clock but at least it’s still got those shaders at 1536 which count when it comes to game play
So if I ma not too Late then follow the instructions in Tech Powerup Articale from this Author : W1zzard Posed on this Date: 2010-12-26 15:12:29 and read the part about flashing a failed bios/boot from your default bios and flipping the bois switch in windows only Prep your flash with the 6950 rom found in the bios collection. I hope this can help well that if it still applies:)