• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Nvidia Potential Kepler Recall

This is the first time I've heard of "pnosker.com". Is he a Demerjian disciple?

LOL, apparently he is.

I find the this article very weird, when it was established a long time ago by several retailers that the reason behind the "shortage" (in North America at least) for Kepler is that there's significantly more demand for them than the 7950/7970.

Nvidia Earning Call Transcript

Might want to read Jen-Hsun Huang own words on why there was a shortage.

They couldnt allocate wafers there for couldnt produce much. Poor execution of roll-out. He even mentions that price was an issue for the wafers and will continue to be an issue looking towards the end of the year.

Even in the earning call hes being question as to why he went to 28nm production and if yields are an issue.

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 7600
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE
Memory Kingston Fury Beast DDR5-5600 16GBx2
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT 16GB
Storage TEAMGROUP T-Force Z440 2TB, SPower A60 2TB, SPower A55 2TB, Seagate 4TBx2, Samsung 870 2TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2 + Xitrix WFP-2415
Case Montech Air X
Audio Device(s) Realtek onboard
Power Supply Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 FM 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse Logitech G304
Keyboard Redragon K557 KAIA RGB Mechanical Keyboard
Software Windows 10
Nvidia Earning Call Transcript

Might want to read Jen-Hsun Huang own words on why there was a shortage.

They couldnt allocate wafers there for couldnt produce much. Poor execution of roll-out. He even mentions that price was an issue for the wafers.

"February 15, 2012" :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Read the more recent one here.

"We can sell all that we can get", i.e. what we make gets bought. Although I really find it weird that this "shortage" is being propped up as a very drastic event, and a widespread one too. It looks like Nvidia chose to actually restrict the shortage to a weaker North American market and focus its efforts on a re-surging Asian market that was relatively unaffected by the economic downturn.

"February 15, 2012" :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Read the more recent one here.

"We can sell all that we can get", i.e. what we make gets bought. Although I really find it weird that this "shortage" is being propped up as a very drastic event, and a widespread one too. It looks like Nvidia chose to actually restrict the shortage to a weaker North American market and focus its efforts on a re-surging Asian market that was relatively unaffected by the economic downturn.

Thanks for pointing out the link error. Fixed it.:eek:

If they were selling like hot cakes nvidia stock would be through the roof from all the reports of how this doesnt affect them. So far at Kepler launch announcement there stock was at 14.5 jumped initialy to 15.4 now sits at 12.29

Very bad business if they choose to restrict the shortage to N/A like you said.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Thanks for pointing out the link error. Fixed it.:eek:

If they were selling like hot cakes nvidia stock would be through the roof from all the reports of how this doesnt affect them. So far at Kepler launch announcement there stock was at 14.5 jumped initialy to 15.4 now sits at 12.29

They are selling like hot cakes. Very rare hotcakes made from very rare flour that is very hard to find. People want the hotcakes, will buy the hotcakes, but there just isn't any damn hotcakes. :D Nvidia are selling their hotcakes, they just haven't sold a lot of them because they haven't made enough.

Processor Intel Core i7-14700K
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-H
Cooling DeepCool AK500 WH
Memory Crucial Pro 32GB Kit (2x16GB) DDR5-5600 (CP2K16G56C46U5)
Video Card(s) Intel ARC A770 Limited Edition
Storage PNY CS3140 2TB / Solidigm P44 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Philips 32M1N5800A
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini (White)
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Fanless Titanium 600W
Keyboard Dell KM714 Wireless
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
May explain the V-Sync stuttering issue on the 6xx series it may not be a driver issue but a technical issue, lets wait for the new drivers to come out and see if it will fix the problem, if it doesn't then the cards may potentially have degradation issue.

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 7600
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE
Memory Kingston Fury Beast DDR5-5600 16GBx2
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT 16GB
Storage TEAMGROUP T-Force Z440 2TB, SPower A60 2TB, SPower A55 2TB, Seagate 4TBx2, Samsung 870 2TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2 + Xitrix WFP-2415
Case Montech Air X
Audio Device(s) Realtek onboard
Power Supply Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 FM 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse Logitech G304
Keyboard Redragon K557 KAIA RGB Mechanical Keyboard
Software Windows 10

"Very bad business"? :laugh:

So lessening the supply in a market that has less money now than before in favor of a market than now has more money than before is "very bad business"? :laugh:

Processor Intel i7-10700k
Motherboard Gigabyte Aurorus Ultra z490
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200MHz
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming Trio X 3070 LHR
Display(s) ASUS MG278Q / AOC G2590FX
Case Corsair X4000 iCue
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM650x 650W Fully Modular
Software Windows 10

Holy shit, stock prices move in both directions!?!? Alert the press, people need to know thisssss!!?!

:rolleyes:

AMD
Nvidia

They both go up and down, ****ing magnets, how do they work? The point is, Nvidia's stock may have dipped recently, but who cares? Their still twice as valuable as their competitors stock, while having a product on the market that is better in every category (sans-Compute) while be cheaper. The things are flying off the shelves for gods sake.

"Very bad business"? :laugh:

So lessening the supply in a market that has less money now than before in favor of a market than now has more money than before is "very bad business"? :laugh:

Your assuming Nvidia favoring the Asia market would off-set potential sales loss in North America. If that were the case the stock would be flat or up because of such a move if demand and consumption was there. If at all the move to favor a growning market would be a boost to invest in but its not playing out that way.

Rating agentcies wouldnt be downgrading the stock they would be reverting to its stability. It also doesnt help when Nvidia acquired the partnership with Apple for the iPad then manage to get the short-end of the stick when Apple managed to get an injuction for HTC phones in the North American market. Something J H-H was looking forward to, to help growth in the company and further expand on by the end of this year. Now any potential for sales and growth is delayed at the minimal.

Holy shit, stock prices move in both directions!?!? Alert the press, people need to know thisssss!!?!

:rolleyes:

AMD
Nvidia

They both go up and down, ****ing magnets, how do they work? The point is, Nvidia's stock may have dipped recently, but who cares? Their still twice as valuable as their competitors stock, while having a product on the market that is better in every category (sans-Compute) while be cheaper. The things are flying off the shelves for gods sake.

Apples to Oranges. I do enjoy how somehow someone tries to turns this into a AMD vs Nvidia discussion. :rolleyes:

If you want to take the stocks as comparison to one another you might want to include everyone of there competitors since stocks arent divided into product sectors. How does Qualcomm make Nvidia look ;) See how silly that is.

Processor Intel Core i9 13900KF
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Hero EVA Edition
Cooling Asus Ryujin II 360 EVA Edition
Memory 4x16GBs DDR5 6800MHz G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo Series
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 4090 AMP Extreme Airo
Storage 2TB Samsung 980 Pro OS - 4TB Nextorage G Series Games - 8TBs WD Black Storage
Display(s) LG C2 OLED 42" 4K 120Hz HDR G-Sync enabled TV
Case Asus ROG Helios EVA Edition
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S910W - 7.1 Klipsch Dolby ATMOS Speaker Setup - Audeze Maxwell
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 1300W
Mouse Asus ROG Keris EVA Edition - Asus ROG Scabbard II EVA Edition
Keyboard Asus ROG Strix Scope EVA Edition
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey VR
Software Windows 11 Pro 64bit
So far only the EVGA GTX 670 SC has been recalled due to a manufacturing defect exclusive to this specific model, and EVGA was quick to issue the recall and replace the card for FTW cards, a more expensive model at no extra cost to the affected costumers.

I have two 680s and they are rock solid, haven't experienced any problems, and if you check the 600s owners thread, I believe so far no one else has reported any problems either.

TPU is a large community, and the number of Kepler card owners is increasing everyday, as others mention, if this problems were so widespread, don't you think people here would start reporting issues with their cards in this forum?

The same applies to any other hardware forums I visit, I see no reports of widespread issues with Kepler cards besides the previously mentioned 670 SC edition recall, I think this report is just FUD as correctly pointed out before :shadedshu

Processor Intel i7-10700k
Motherboard Gigabyte Aurorus Ultra z490
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200MHz
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming Trio X 3070 LHR
Display(s) ASUS MG278Q / AOC G2590FX
Case Corsair X4000 iCue
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM650x 650W Fully Modular
Software Windows 10
Apples to Oranges. I do enjoy how somehow someone tries to turns this into a AMD vs Nvidia discussion. :rolleyes:

I was not turning this into an AMD vs. Nvidia discussion, I was comparing Nvidia's Stock Price--which you brough up--to their largest (and only) competitor. It wouldn't make sense for me to compare Nvidia's stock price to Apple or Google or Microsoft as they aren't competing in the same markets (mostly).

If you want to take the stocks as comparison to one another you might want to include everyone of there competitors since stocks arent divided into product sectors.

Really? Because that was the exact point I was making, and in almost direct opposition of what you were saying a few hours ago;

How does Qualcomm make Nvidia look ;) See how silly that is.

Qualcomm is a poor comparison, it'd be like comparing Nvidia's stock to Apple. Qualcomm is an older company that has gone from making a good chunk of money in Telecommunications to getting lucky by jumping on Smartphones at the right time.

I dont follow

I wasnt comparing the stock to any other except their own. I didnt make this a Nvidia vs them issue. I was pointing out the stocks performance. Stocks go up and down all the time as you pointed out but if you look at Nvidias direction its gone down since it peek'd at the end of 2007.

I was try'n to keeping the conversation to its relevancy to Kepler since we're only half-way through the roll-out. With-in that window I was pointing out its stock performance.

I'll humor you

AMD
5.40* - Dec 2011 Southern Island was announced
6.30 - Currently

Nvidia
15.40* - March 2012 Kepler was announced
12.29 - Currently

*Monthly closing numbers

I dont think its fair to compare the two for a variety of factors.

I think its best to compare it to itself.