• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TP-LINK Announces the AV500 Gigabit Powerline Adapter

TP-LINK, a global provider of networking products, today announced its new AV500 Gigabit Powerline Adapter, providing industry-leading performance, hassle-free set-up, for an instant, secure high-speed network for the home or office. The AV500 Gigabit Powerline Adapter provides high-speed streams at up to 500 Mbps on a line length of up to 300 meters, creating an incredibly fast, robust network. At these speeds, the AV500 Gigabit Powerline Adapter delivers the performance required for fast, whole home or office solutions to connect all network compatible devices from HD video streaming, online gaming, VolP or any other bandwidth intensive applications.

The AV500 Gigabit Powerline Adapter comes equipped with TP-LINK's Quality of Service (QoS) function which prioritizes the bandwidth requirements of data traffic, guaranteeing clear, instant connections of a device, even when other bandwidth intensive applications like VoIP, video streaming or online gaming are running on the network.

The sophisticated Power-Saving Mode on the AV500 Gigabit Powerline Adapter consumes less power when compared with existing Powerline adapters. When there is no data transmission or reception occurring after five minutes, the adapters will automatically switch from their regular "Working" mode to "Power-Saving" mode, lowering energy consumption by up to 85 percent*.

It also comes with a pair button on each adapter so users can easily set up a hassle-free connection with 128-bit AES encryption for network security and data protection.

"Our flagship Gigabit Powerline Adapter transforms your home or office power outlets into a high-performance network with no need for new wires or drilling," said Howard He, Product Engineer of TP-LINK USA. "With our convenient network at 500 Mbps, the Gigabit Powerline Adapter will transmit multiple HD video streams to every room or office, making it an exceptional choice for an easy-to-build multimedia network."

AV500 Gigabit Powerline Adapter (TL-PA511KIT) - $89.99 - Product Available End of May 2012

● HomePlug AV standard compliant, high-speed data transfer rates of up to 500 Mbps
● One Gigabit Ethernet Port; built-in QoS provides networking flexibility and stable HD video streaming, online gaming capabilities
● Plug-and-play setup; no configuration required
● Patented Power-Saving Mode automatically reduces power consumption by up to 85%
● Up to 300 meter (984 feet) range over the household power circuit for better performance through walls or across floors
● Establish a 128-bit AES encryption to secure Powerline communications simply by pressing the Pair button on the adapter

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name WAZAAM!
Processor AMD Ryzen 3900x
Motherboard ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Pro Gaming
Cooling Kraken x62
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC
Storage Micron 9200 Max
Display(s) Samsung 49" 5120x1440 120hz
Case Corsair 600D
Audio Device(s) Onboard - Bose Companion 2 Speakers
Power Supply CORSAIR Professional Series HX850
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
Software Windows 10 Pro
Does anyone else think it's disingenuous to call it a Gigabit PowerLine Adapter because of the port spec even though it only does 500 Mb/s actual throughput?

Completely Bonkers

Processor Mysterious Engineering Prototype
Motherboard Intel 865
Cooling Custom block made in workshop
Memory Corsair XMS 2GB
Video Card(s) FireGL X3-256
Display(s) 1600x1200 SyncMaster x 2 = 3200x1200
Software Windows 2003
Yes. I also find it spammish to register at TPU just to say you order these from Amazon (second post). Is this Amazon or TP-Link paying for this kind of marketing trick?

+++++++++++++++++++

In the interests of fair-play and competition, I just bought a pair of these http://www.asokatech.com/ rebranded as "swisscom". What is nice about them (in addition to 500mbps) is that they will also i) measure power consumption, and ii) allow you to remotely turn on and off the socket via the internet. NEAT

http://asokatech.com/media/pdf/plugline/Datasheet-PL7667-Energy Management Devices.pdf

Does anyone else think it's disingenuous to call it a Gigabit PowerLine Adapter because of the port spec even though it only does 500 Mb/s actual throughput?

I'm guessing half-gigabit didn't quite have the same ring to it. :)

Cheeseball

Not a Potato
Supporter
System Name 2023 AMD Work & Gaming Rig
Processor AMD Ryzen™ 7 7950X3D
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X670E-I Gaming WiFi
Cooling ID-COOLING SE-207-XT Slim Snow
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta RGB 2x16GB DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) ASRock Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24 GB GDDR6 (MBA)
Storage 2TB Samsung 990 Pro NVMe
Display(s) AOpen Fire Legend 24" 390Hz (25XV2Q), Alienware 34" 165Hz (AW3423DWF), LG C2 42" 120Hz (OLED42C2PUA)
Case Cooler Master Q300L V2
Audio Device(s) Kanto Audio YU2 and SUB8 Desktop Speakers and Subwoofer, Cloud Alpha Wireless
Power Supply Corsair RM850x White (2021)
Mouse Logitech Pro Superlight (White), G303 Shroud Edition
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB TKL Champion Series / Wooting 60HE / NuPhy Air75
VR HMD Occulus Quest 2 128GB
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit 22H2 Build 22621.1992
The reason why TP-LINK named it a "Gigabit..." adapter is because it comes in a set of two, therefore 500 Mbps + 500 Mbps = 1 Gbps. Yes, I know it's retarded. They used that naming scheme with all their products.

The reason why TP-LINK named it a "Gigabit..." adapter is because it comes in a set of two, therefore 500 Mbps + 500 Mbps = 1 Gbps. Yes, I know it's retarded. They used that naming scheme with all their products.

It's just half duplex. 1 gbit bandwidth, 500mbit both ways.

Also, I highly doubt they actually are that fast. Last review of gigabit powerline adapters I read concluded they barely outperformed fast Ethernet.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
i believe they call it 'gigabit' because it has the gigabit port spec. it is like the nas devices that say gigabit on them but obviously can only transfer as fast as the hdd chip allows.

i believe they call it 'gigabit' because it has the gigabit port spec. it is like the nas devices that say gigabit on them but obviously can only transfer as fast as the hdd chip allows.

What's the HDD chip? Most NAS devices are limited by processing power, most modern disks transfer 100+MB/s.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
What's the HDD chip? Most NAS devices are limited by processing power, most modern disks transfer 100+MB/s.

sorry yes i mean the sata controller or the cpu. my point being they call it a gigabit device because it has a gigabit port not because it can pass a gigabit connection (which in both cases it cant)