• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GeForce GTX 680 A Sellout Success: NVIDIA

Andy77

People are still going on about the mid-range chip thing? Its a name

No, it was a sarcastic remark towards all those that named it so...

LOL, 680 launched March 22; just 10 days before Q1's end.

Yep, they're late again, what's new? And remember how they didn't paper-launch?

NOTICE: sarcasm has been used again.

[...] but to believe that they are hard to find because they are getting sold out is bullshit [...]

This has a certain truth to it, because nv managed to get only a few working chips out, lower numbers means weak distribution and thus they get sold out because in this case even a little bit of demand makes and impact. Where I live out of 30, 17 are available, don't know how many they do have of each, maybe just one or two and then there are our wages which don't allow many to buy them.

Qualcomm and AMD have not said they can't get enough wafer starts to meet demand. Only nVidia has made this statement.

That might be because they gave up on some wafer starts and TSMC allotted them to apple if I remember right. Apparently dear leader wasn't happy with wafer pricing considering yield. Ouch!...

In this light how can the marketing team not use lots of images, graphs and what not? Might go well with investors.

Last edited:
Its a moot point now.....I know. I was saying to BEGIN WITH it was a lack of time at the fab. Not any issues with the fab itself as Benetanegia suggested.

It was always a moot point.

AMD had priority in Q4'11 & in Q1'12 TSMC was just finishing up production of the wafer it had ordered.

Nvidia is just reacting to AMD launch found itself unable to purchase wafers and get them produced in time. The rest of the 600 line was suppose to be launched before June in late May 650, 660 & 660 Ti. Now its been pushed down the road because they were not able to buy wafers at the price they wanted to produce the product.

You cant blame anyone beside Nvidia. Its like standing in line at the buffet and saying I want to hold my spot here until the food prices come down to my liking and expecting everyone else to revolve around you.

Nvidia has been re-active to AMD this cycle and some moves have paid off and others not so much.

gtx680

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/search.asp?keywords=gtx+680

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=gtx680&tag=tec06d-20

http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=MSI-GTX680

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/search.asp?keywords=gtx+680

for all those who say they cant get one or they dont exist!!!! plenty all over.

it seems like there are plenty of gtx680s at etails in the USA.

But i guess that most of these ppl complaining :cry: dont want a 680, they just want to talk crap. I guess if it makes them feel better about themselves then............poor things

GK106 yields lot's of "usable variants" so yes wafer yield is good, just at first the GTX680 were hard to get out of the wafer. If you where to say Tahiti wafer has yield issues, that means they're not getting a good chips as XT and Pro off the wafer, the mix it offers not enough XT's or chips that are less than the Pro variant. When Nvidia say yields are good that means (to them) that they'll have "product variants" based on what they harvest from that wafer. While the problem was Nvidia either didn't ask for enough starts or get into the production queue with TSMC soon enough, or didn't have enough wafer starts to fulfill the demand for what they harvested for 680's (probably both). AMD had priority because they had a timeline that was on track and got their orders in as normal product planning.

As to that chart I would think that shows the chips they deliver to AIB, not in retail but its all relative, but 4 weeks back. The real consideration is after the 480, which sold ok even with its power issues, most either had the upgrade, the 580 wasn't earth shattering better other than power, while the economy was in a dive. Then consider Nvidia had 480's in the channel to sell-off, so yes Nvidia didn't ask for or move a bunch of 580's in those first weeks, and now they flip it to their advantage. 60% increase is not big if their Y-Axis is in ”hundreds”, though saying the initially release was a thousand and those are 1k increments. That means 6 week since launch (March 22) or May 3rd they had supplied something close to 7000 units to AIB's. Do the math if the 580's are at 4200 units; +60% is 6720 680's. We are now 4 weeks since that so how long does it take to get board made, package, and into retail? We need to know how many 6970 AMD has sold to get perspective.

Not to say the demand wasn't there and they weren't disappearing like "spit in the Sahara" I think they now have got the channel full, and with a 670 able to supply 98% of the ”enthusiast” there will be GTX 680's filling on shelves for those feeling it's worth anteing up. It's now a case of a little too late to capitalize, but it was always just intended to be a "Halo" product.

But i guess that most of these ppl complaining :cry: dont want a 680, they just want to talk crap. I guess if it makes them feel better about themselves then............poor things

I love that statement

I guess around 60-70% of the investors Jen-Hsun Huang deals with on a monthly basis like talking crap to him :laugh:

Its never a good sign when rating agencies put a Hold on your stock and investors ask you what wrong with your product supply and you have to answer them that you dont expect production restraints to ease up by the end of the year cause you cant purchase wafers at the price you wanted.

Dam those shit talking investors who want answers to why you keep loosing money.:banghead:

System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Cooling AC NexXxos XT45 360, RayStorm, D5T+XSPC tank, Tygon R-3603, Bitspower
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600C8
Video Card(s) GTX 780 SLI (EVGA SC ACX + Giga GHz Ed.)
Storage Kingston HyperX SSD (128) OS, WD RE4 (1TB), RE2 (1TB), Cav. Black (2 x 500GB), Red (4TB)
Display(s) Achieva Shimian QH270-IPSMS (2560x1440) S-IPS
Case NZXT Switch 810
Audio Device(s) onboard Realtek yawn edition
Power Supply Seasonic X-1050
Software Win8.1 Pro
Benchmark Scores 3.5 litres of Pale Ale in 18 minutes.
I love that statement
I guess around 60-70% of the investors Jen-Hsun Huang deals with on a monthly basis like talking crap to him :laugh:
Its never a good sign when rating agencies put a Hold on your stock and investors ask you what wrong with your product supply and you have to answer them that you dont expect production restraints to ease up by the end of the year cause you cant purchase wafers at the price you wanted.
Dam those shit talking investors who want answers to why you keep loosing money.:banghead:
There's more to Nvidia than the GTX 680...or do you really believe that Nvidia rises or falls on the strength of one SKU ? You've no more insight than the ill informed Intelitrolls who forecast the death of AMD on the basis of a lacklustre FX-8150
Get a grip.

There's more to Nvidia than the GTX 680...or do you really believe that Nvidia rises or falls on the strength of one SKU ? You've no more insight than the ill informed Intelitrolls who forecast the death of AMD on the basis of a lacklustre FX-8150
Get a grip.

I dont think we are talking about a single sku being the rise and fall of Nvidia. Your missing perspective to a window frame as to the original posters link to a Investor prop slide and his follow up question to an Nvidia rep for a clarification.

Like he said in his podcast they wont provide hard numbers so measuring the 6 week time frame on its stock performance is a reasonable alternative.

Maybe I am ill-informed since I havent heard about the AMD death thing.

Although last year Nvidia could have died if Microsoft pick up its option to purchase it for 3.4. Nvidia wanted more and Microsoft didnt think it was worth it after 3 rounds of talks.

System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Storage Kingston HyperX SSD (128) OS, WD RE4 (1TB), RE2 (1TB), Cav. Black (2 x 500GB), Red (4TB)
Case NZXT Switch 810
Software Win8.1 Pro
I dont think we are talking about a single sku being the rise and fall of Nvidia. Your missing perspective to a window frame as to the original posters..yada yada
Bollocks.
You quoted ocre's post about GTX 680 availability...and used it to segue into your own financial analysis posting. If you were referencing the OP, then quote the OP, and not use someone elses posting as an excuse to showcase your supposed acumen.

As for the supposed "three rounds of talks" between MS and Nvidia...
Although last year Nvidia could have died if Microsoft pick up its option to purchase it for 3.4
Xzibit's guide to math ? 1 + 1 = Potato
I seem to remember people noticing a clause in a quarterly earnings report, and inferring very much from very little.
...Nvidia wanted more and Microsoft didnt think it was worth it after 3 rounds of talks.
Let me guess; You're either Steve Ballmer, or an asshat. Steve could probably post a link, whereas an asshat would just move on to some other nonsense.
So, Feel free to to post a link- preferably with something relevant about GTX 680 sales, since this thread is supposed to be about sales of the GTX 680.

Last edited:

Benetanegia

Its a moot point now.....I know. I was saying to BEGIN WITH it was a lack of time at the fab. Not any issues with the fab itself as Benetanegia suggested.

I didn't suggest any problem, just that TSMC does not have enough wafer starts, so Nvidia didn't get too many of them, just like everyone else. I don't know if AMD had any notorious preference and I don't actually think so.

This is just a game of supply and demand, and not only applies to GK104. When demand exceeds supply there's going to be shortage, I don't know why anyone makes any other analisys than this one.

Nvidia released GK107 at the same time and has dozens of design wins for it, just take a look around and see how many of them there are. And GK107 is only 1/3rd the size of GK104, it's not like it is 20 times smaller... but the volume needed to supply the OEM market is much much bigger then the gaming GPU crowd, we are talking an order of magnitude here at least, so the chip being 3x smaller is of little conseqence, and in a wafer start constrained situation, in order to be able to supply OEMs there's going to be even less wafers left for high end cards. As simple as that.

But we are missing the point anyway, they have shipped 60% more than GTX580 so while supply might be low comparatively, it's obvious that in absolute terms supply is better than back then or equal if we take the die size difference (GK104 vs GF110) into consideration. In any case it's not worse and there is no real problem.

Bollocks.
You quoted ocre's post about GTX 680 availability...and used it to segue into your own financial analysis posting. If you were referencing the OP, then quote the OP, and not use someone elses posting as an excuse to showcase your supposed acumen.

Try reading.

I quoted Ocre as for the "complaining" as a general assumption to people who "talk crap". Its like hes never read a transcript of Q&A session with Nvidia especially a financial or investor report.

If your gonna try and comment on something atleast try to understand it first ;)

System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Case NZXT Switch 810
Software Win8.1 Pro
let me guess; you're either steve ballmer, or an asshat. Steve could probably post a link, whereas an asshat would just move on to some other nonsense.
try reading.i quoted ocre as for the "complaining"* as a general assumption to people who "talk crap". Its like hes never read a transcript of q&a session with nvidia especially a financial or investor report.if your gonna try and comment on something atleast try to understand it first ;)
qed

* Basic comprehension skillz. You don't have them. ocre was obviously referring to people bemoaning a lack of GTX 680 availability (and not the PR/marketspeak flamewar)...since, ya know they posted links to GTX 680's on sale. But yeah, whatever. Found those MS buyout of Nvidia links yet ? Your line of bullshit is so funny I'm thinking of using it as my sig. OK with you?

Last edited:
qed

* Basic comprehension skillz. You don't have them. ocre was obviously referring to people bemoaning a lack of GTX 680 availability (and not the PR/marketspeak flamewar)...since, ya know they posted links to GTX 680's on sale. But yeah, whatever. Found those MS buyout of Nvidia links yet ? Your line of bullshit is so funny I'm thinking of using it as my sig. OK with you?

Wow, Dude try taking your own advise.

The whole premise of the OP is that its refering to GTC information and the Nvidia Investor report and the failure they cant produce any real numbers from Nvidia itself rather just that one butchered graph.:rolleyes:
I dont see how refering to how Q&A session are in that context isnt relivant. The Investors ask good question because they are investing 10s to 100s of thousand of dollars and to equate investors or members questioning as hatefull or fanboyism is extremely naive.

Something you have no problem with as it seams

Just looked up your post and sure you can use it as your sig when ever your over on AMD threads being all butt hurt people dont like Nvidia more ;)

Trolled again. :respect:

System Name Red Babe
Processor i7 2700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximous IV
Cooling Custom Water Cooling
Memory 16GB 1600Mhz Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 679 DCII
Storage 1TB Black 1TB Green 120GB GT SSD
Display(s) ASUS PB278Q
Case Obsidian 800D
Audio Device(s) Creative SB Z
Power Supply Enermax MODU87+ 900W
Software Ubuntu + Windows 7
not the performance but the time

the gtx 680 was released at about a year after the release of the 580 but the 580 was released a couple of months after 480! So ,many people just got the 480 or other 400 series so they didn't want the 580 but many had bought a graphics card some wile ago and wanted the 680 now!

System Name -aLiEn beaTs-
Processor Intel i7 11700kf @ 5.055Ghz
Motherboard MSI Z490 Unify
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro RGB
Memory G.skill Royal Silver 4400 cl17 @ 4403mhz
Video Card(s) Zotac GTX 980TI AMP!Omega Factory OC 1418MHz
Storage Intel SSD 330, Crucial SSD MX300 & MX500
Display(s) Samsung C24FG73 144HZ
Case CoolerMaster HAF 932 USB3.0
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium HD @ 2.1 Bose acoustimass 5
Power Supply CoolerMaster 850W v2 gold atx 2.52
Mouse Razer viper 8k
Keyboard Logitech G19s
Software Windows 11 Pro 21h2 64Bit
Benchmark Scores ► ♪♫♪♩♬♫♪♭
meh, like one said mid-range dressed as high end.. And now they're acting all mighty, pfft ripoff.

GK110 will be that worthy ripoff. :)

fullhd99

NOT FAIR COMPARISON BECAUSE GTX 580 STILL FERMI NOT MUCH DIFFERENT FROM GTX 480
SHOULD COMPARE THE GTX 680 vs GTX 480

System Name The one under the desk / Media Centre
Processor Xeon X3730@3.6GHZ / Phenom II X4 805E
Motherboard Gigabyte P55M-UD4 / Asus Crosshair III
Cooling Corsair H70 + 2*PWM fan / Arctic Alpine 11
Memory 16GB DRR3-1333 9-9-9-27 / 4GB Crucial DDR3-1333
Video Card(s) Asus DirectCU GTX 680 / Gigabyte 560TI
Storage Kingston V200 128GB, WD6400AAKS, 1TB Seagate 7.2kRPM SSHD / Kingston V200 128GB
Display(s) Samsung 2343BW + Dell Ultrasharp 1600*1200 / 32" TV
Case C'M' Silencio 550 / Some ancient SilverStone brushed aluminium media centre
Audio Device(s) No.
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower XT 675W / EVGA 430W
Mouse Mionix Naos 3200 / Generic PS2
Keyboard Roccat Ryos TKL Pro / Evoluent Mouse Friendly Keyboard (Logitech OEM)
Software Windows 7 Ult x64
Benchmark Scores Nah.
NOT FAIR COMPARISON BECAUSE GTX 580 STILL FERMI NOT MUCH DIFFERENT FROM GTX 480
SHOULD COMPARE THE GTX 680 vs GTX 480

The difference would be much bigger, if we were comparing what the interpretation says we're comparing.

Actually though, like I said, the graph is of units sold out, not of units sold.

Also, caps lock, no.