• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GIGABYTE Shows Off Z77X-UP7 Motherboard with 32-Phase CPU VRM

treboRR

System Name My Rig
Processor I7 2600K @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD7 B3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws X @ 1610MHz 9-9-9-24 1T
Video Card(s) 2xMSI GTX 580 Lightning @ SLI
Storage 2x HDD for data and 1xSSD OCZ Agility 3 128GB
Display(s) Benq XL2410T @ 120Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 650D
Audio Device(s) SB Titanium OEM
Power Supply Corsair HX1050
Software Windows 7 64x
It's likely a 32+4 setup, as modern CPUs require 2 or more voltages to be provided to them (32 phases to the CPU cores, 4 phases to the northbridge/memory controller). My Z68 board has an 8+4 digital VRM configuration.

the mem VRM is close to the memslots, but more likely the 4 chokes are for igpu imo :p

Have you even read the article?

And where does it state that a single phase can output 60A? The chokes can take a higher current, but that doesnt mean a single phase can take 60A.

Next time, read.

dude i am at computex, i went to the suite, i talked to Deepak Savadatti of IR(he was there monday, very nice guy we had an awesome chat) and I talked to the GB engineers.
http://www.irf.com/whats-new/nr110308.html So i asked what is different than DrMOS, first off, DrMOS doesn't use the same full body metal clip which reduces switching losses, they said optimal frequency for 60A output is 400KHz, but they can do it at higher frequencies, higher frequency usually means higher losses and lower current, so some companies will rate high, but only at 90% efficiency and that is usually around or under 300KHz.
UP7 has the IR3550, say DriverMOSFET to IR and they get kind of sad people don't know that DrMOS is an Intel protocol which isn't a class it i just a branding scheme and protocol. I bet Intel wouldn't like it either if you called these things DrMOS. UP7 doesn't have the 60A chokes however, the UP5 and UP4 do though, they are much bigger chokes, and cannot fit that many on the UP7. However the UP7's chokes are very good too, just lower current capability than UP5's and UP4's. If you would like I can show you the marketing stuff that clearly states 60A chokes. I understand your skepticism, as many manufacturers will advertise something, however not state how much current their chokes can handle which in the end is the limiting factor in a sense. GB isn't joking around, they really mean business with these new parts, UP5 has a freaking serious VRM.

Last edited:
System Name Bang4Buck
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard MSI PRESTIGE x570 CREATION
Cooling Fractal Design Celsius S36
Memory 32Gb 4400Mhz Patriot Viper Steel(Samsung B-die) @ 3800Mhz 16-16-16-32-48-1T @ 1.38v
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3080 Ti Suprim X
Storage Adata SX8200Pro 512Gb/2x Crucial P1 1Tb/Samsung 840 EVO/6Tb Raid -HGST Enterprise/2x IronWolf 8Tb/
Display(s) Samsung UE49KS8002 4K HDR TV (US - 9 series)
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black Usb-C
Audio Device(s) HDMI out to Denon X4400H reciever, 2x Dali Zensor 7, Dali Zensor Vokal, 2x Dali Zensor 1, Yamaha Sub
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra 750W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed
Keyboard Logitech K520
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/26216445
dude i am at computex, i went to the suite, i talked to Deepak Savadatti of IR(he was there monday, very nice guy we had an awesome chat) and I talked to the GB engineers.
http://www.irf.com/whats-new/nr110308.html So i asked what is different than DrMOS, first off, DrMOS doesn't use the same full body metal clip which reduces switching losses, they said optimal frequency for 60A output is 400KHz, but they can do it at higher frequencies, higher frequency usually means higher losses and lower current, so some companies will rate high, but only at 90% efficiency and that is usually around or under 300KHz.
UP7 has the IR3550, say DriverMOSFET to IR and they get kind of sad people don't know that DrMOS is an Intel protocol which isn't a class it i just a branding scheme and protocol. I bet Intel wouldn't like it either if you called these things DrMOS. UP7 doesn't have the 60A chokes however, the UP5 and UP4 do though, they are much bigger chokes, and cannot fit that many on the UP7. However the UP7's chokes are very good too, just lower current capability than UP5's and UP4's. If you would like I can show you the marketing stuff that clearly states 60A chokes. I understand your skepticism, as many manufacturers will advertise something, however not state how much current their chokes can handle which in the end is the limiting factor in a sense. GB isn't joking around, they really mean business with these new parts, UP5 has a freaking serious VRM.

Thanks for the info. I never doubted the chokes could take 60A, but that doesnt matter. Also driver mosfet just means that the driver is merged in together with both low and high side mosfets into one chip - drivermosfet! And if this new IR350 IC can put out 60A per phase, thay must either deliver very unclean power or something else must be bad about them. Becouse why would you need 32 60A phases? To deliver cleaner power, no i dont think so. Thats a maximum of 1800A!!!! For what, a 22nm Ivy? But hey in the end, if this means no more burnt out VRMs, i am all for it.:toast:

Last edited:
THis board is to show off GB engineering ability, it shoudl be good for OC as well it does have the buttons and a lot of other features.