• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Continues OpenCL Leadership With First Fully-Conformant OpenCL 1.2 Solution

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
AMD today announced continued leadership in driving OpenCL adoption with availability of the AMD APP SDK 2.7, featuring the first conformant implementation of OpenCL 1.2 and comprehensive support for C++. The new SDK expands the OpenCL application ecosystem by providing developers a powerful, cross-platform solution to unlock the performance of AMD GPUs, APUs, and multi-core CPUs with the added C++ wrapper API and AMD's C++ kernel language for greater efficiency, improved productivity and application robustness.

"AMD continues leading the OpenCL movement, as demonstrated with the release of our latest SDK featuring the industry's first fully-conformant OpenCL 1.2 implementation," said Manju Hegde, corporate vice president, Heterogeneous Applications and Developer Solutions, AMD. "Our latest development tools empower developers to more easily harness the power of heterogeneous computing to help improve the user experience by making it easy to write applications that can take greater advantage of the compute capabilities of AMD's leading CPUs, GPUs and APUs."

Support for the second generation AMD A-Series APUs and AMD Radeon HD 7000 Series GPUs is now available with the AMD APP SDK 2.7. The new SDK also includes updated versions of gDEBugger, APP ML, APP profiler and kernel analyzer updates. For complete details on the AMD APP SDK 2.7 features, capabilities and support, visit the AMD Developer blog or download the AMD APP SDK 2.7 from AMD Developer Central.

AMD APP SDK 2.7 Key Features
OpenCL 1.2
  • Host access flags for memory objects
  • Pattern-based GPU buffer and image initialization
  • New generalized image creation API
  • Enhanced image/buffer map operations
C++ Wrapper API
  • Defaults for platform, queue, device, etc. significantly reduce the amount of boilerplate code required
  • Improved simplified constructors for cl::Buffer and addition of cl::copy functions
  • Additional support of events when using functors
C++ Kernel language
  • Kernel and function overloading
  • Inheritance
  • Templates
The developer ecosystem continues to optimize applications by implementing OpenCL to leverage the unmatched level of compute processing capabilities of GPU acceleration, as more than 100 applications and games are currently accelerated by AMD APUs. Developers who want to engage in the industry's move toward heterogeneous computing should attend the upcoming AMD Fusion Developer Summit (AFDS). AFDS provides a unique opportunity to hear first-hand from, and network with, developers as part of approximately 30 sessions related to implementing OpenCL, including sessions on math libraries, open source libraries, applications and tools. More information on OpenCL 1.2 will be provided in session PT4290 and on OpenCL Static C++ in session PL3660. To learn more about AFDS, visit this page.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Cheeseball

Not a Potato
Supporter
System Name 2023 AMD Work & Gaming Rig
Processor AMD Ryzen™ 7 7950X3D
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X670E-I Gaming WiFi
Cooling ID-COOLING SE-207-XT Slim Snow
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta RGB 2x16GB DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) ASRock Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24 GB GDDR6 (MBA)
Storage 2TB Samsung 990 Pro NVMe
Display(s) AOpen Fire Legend 24" 390Hz (25XV2Q), Alienware 34" 165Hz (AW3423DWF), LG C2 42" 120Hz (OLED42C2PUA)
Case Cooler Master Q300L V2
Audio Device(s) Kanto Audio YU2 and SUB8 Desktop Speakers and Subwoofer, Cloud Alpha Wireless
Power Supply Corsair RM850x White (2021)
Mouse Logitech Pro Superlight (White), G303 Shroud Edition
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB TKL Champion Series / Wooting 60HE / NuPhy Air75
VR HMD Occulus Quest 2 128GB
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit 22H2 Build 22621.1992
It's good that AMD got C++ kernel language support directly with their drivers (unlike NVIDIA where you have to use CUDA because OpenCL is technically a C99 language), but their implementation is still quite hardware-specific. This means that using their implementation will work at 100% performance on a AMD GPU, but not so much when when run on NVIDIA or Intel GPUs.

Cool. I hope more apps will utilize thism because right now i can't really remember a single useful OpenCL app.

System Name Desktop
Processor Intel Xeon E5-1680v2
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth X79
Cooling Intel AIO
Memory 8x4GB DDR3 1866MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 970 SC
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB + 2x WD RE 4TB HDD
Display(s) HP ZR24w
Case Fractal Define XL Black
Audio Device(s) Schiit Modi Uber/Sony CDP-XA20ES/Pioneer CT-656>Sony TA-F630ESD>Sennheiser HD600
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Cool. I hope more apps will utilize thism because right now i can't really remember a single useful OpenCL app.

WinZip 16.5, Handbrake (it's in beta AFAIK), real time renderers, Adobe will also support it in new software...

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Rog b450-f
Cooling Cooler master 120mm aio
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3x 3070
Storage 2tb intel nvme and 2tb generic ssd
Display(s) Generic dell 1080p overclocked to 75hz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Power Supply 650w of borderline fire hazard
Mouse Some wierd Chinese vertical mouse
Keyboard Generic mechanical keyboard
Software Windows ten
WinZip 16.5, Handbrake (it's in beta AFAIK), real time renderers, Adobe will also support it in new software...

Wolfram Mathmatica.

I'd definitely like to see support for OpenCL in FormatFactory, Freemake Video Converter and 7-zip, apps that i use the most. My Core i7 crunches through them fast but i'd like to see it go even faster.
17MB/s compression is fast but my HDD can take it more so 50MB/s would be nice if CPU and GPU can crunch together...

Andy77

This means that using their implementation will work at 100% performance on a AMD GPU, but not so much when when run on NVIDIA or Intel GPUs.

Is this joke day?... as opposed to what? PhysX working great on CPU? I find this bickering like the Socket issue, Intel makes small efforts for socket compatibility, no one moans, AMD changes one socket every one is up in arms.

In truth, AMD has no obligation to make their software work great (i.e 100%) on non-AMD hardware, nor does Nvidia in PhysX nor Intel in their compilers, but then again Intel as well as others have each their own OpenCL "fork" and if need be the devs can adjust. Safe to say that AMD's OpenCL won't cripple support as Nv's PhysX does on CPU. And even if the software works lets say at 50% in OpenCL... you have a 50% increase in performance if you have some sort of video card supporting OpenCL 1.2 on top of the performance you get from your CPU natively. All that from AMD and the devs in question without you even deserving it.

System Name Epsilon
Processor A12-9800E 35watts
Motherboard MSI Grenade AM4
Cooling Stock
Memory 2x4GB DDR4 2400 Kingston Hyper X
Video Card(s) Radeon R7 (IGP / APU)
Storage Samsung Spinpoint F1
Display(s) AOC 29" Ultra wide
Case Generic
Power Supply Antec Earthwatts 380w
Software Windows 10
Is this joke day?... as opposed to what? PhysX working great on CPU? I find this bickering like the Socket issue, Intel makes small efforts for socket compatibility, no one moans, AMD changes one socket every one is up in arms.

In truth, AMD has no obligation to make their software work great (i.e 100%) on non-AMD hardware, nor does Nvidia in PhysX nor Intel in their compilers, but then again Intel as well as others have each their own OpenCL "fork" and if need be the devs can adjust. Safe to say that AMD's OpenCL won't cripple support as Nv's PhysX does on CPU. And even if the software works lets say at 50% in OpenCL... you have a 50% increase in performance if you have some sort of video card supporting OpenCL 1.2 on top of the performance you get from your CPU natively. All that from AMD and the devs in question without you even deserving it.

He's not upset about it, he's just telling a fact. Its not a matter of pissing anyone off.

If you use an intel compiler x86, most likely it will work fast on intel cpus and not so fast on non-intel cpus, but its not intentionally, its by nature. The same goes for this c++ AMD OpenCL compiler. It might not generate code optimized for nvidia or intel GPUs. They could even have a hard time making it work fast on their own AMD gpus...

So the fact is, ok, AMD released this c++ thingy, and its fine. Now nvidia should sum up his efforts and make something similar unless the AMD compiler is good enough on nvidia gpus too.

System Name Bad Moon Ryzen
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Asrock B450M Pro4-F
Cooling Vetroo V5
Memory Crucial Ballistix 32Gb (8gb x 4) 3200 MHz DDR 4
Video Card(s) 6700 XT
Storage Samsung 860 Evo 1Tb, Samsung 860 Evo 500Gb,WD Black 8Tb, WD Blue 2Tb
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270bmiix & 4K Samsung TV
Case Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact w/Dark Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply MSI MPG A850GF (850w)
VR HMD Rift S
Excellent, now can we have some fully operational Open GL please. Cheers :)

System Name Desktop
Processor Intel Xeon E5-1680v2
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth X79
Cooling Intel AIO
Memory 8x4GB DDR3 1866MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 970 SC
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB + 2x WD RE 4TB HDD
Display(s) HP ZR24w
Case Fractal Define XL Black
Audio Device(s) Schiit Modi Uber/Sony CDP-XA20ES/Pioneer CT-656>Sony TA-F630ESD>Sennheiser HD600
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Excellent, now can we have some fully operational Open GL please. Cheers :)

You need to splash the cash for a FirePro to get good OpenGL :D:laugh:

trickson

OH, I have such a headache
System Name Ryzen TUF.
Processor AMD Ryzen7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF X570 Gaming Plus
Cooling Noctua
Memory Gskill RipJaws 3466MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TUF 1650 Super Clocked.
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S750H
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Software Windows 10 64 bit Home OEM
Meh. Nothing here I really care about. Other than AMD/ATI taking there stuff to a new level who cars? As long as it all works for the enduser and works well.

Processor Phenom II 955 @ 3955Mhz 1.45v
Motherboard ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
Cooling CoolerMaster Hyper TX3 push-pull /2x140mm + 2x230mm + 2x120mm = super noisy computer
Memory 4x2Gb Kingston DDR3-1333 8-8-8-22 @ 1527Mhz
Video Card(s) Crossfire 2x Sapphire Radeon 6850 @ 850/1200
Storage 320Gb Western Digital WD3200AAJS
Display(s) Samsung 23" 1920x1080
Case Azza Solano 1000R Full-Tower
Audio Device(s) VIA VT1708S (integrated) + quadraphonic speakers
Power Supply CoolerMaster Extreme Power Plus 700w
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
isnt there an OpenCl fractal generator or physics demo or something

Andy77

He's not upset about it, he's just telling a fact. Its not a matter of pissing anyone off.

If you use an intel compiler x86, most likely it will work fast on intel cpus and not so fast on non-intel cpus, but its not intentionally, its by nature. The same goes for this c++ AMD OpenCL compiler. It might not generate code optimized for nvidia or intel GPUs. They could even have a hard time making it work fast on their own AMD gpus...

So the fact is, ok, AMD released this c++ thingy, and its fine. Now nvidia should sum up his efforts and make something similar unless the AMD compiler is good enough on nvidia gpus too.

Never said he was... just seemed funny to me in a sort of sad way, day to day complaining about how some company does something but its not enough even if it adds no cost to the consumer.

Compile optimizations are intentionally... and you've argued my point, just as intel is not responsible for how intel compiled code works on AMD in the same way AMD is not responsible for how their OpenCL compiled coded works on Nvidia GPUs. As for how hard it's for them, it could be but they are doing it.

Golubev: Things got better since last time I’ve took a look at OpenCL, after an year (of very “hard” work I guess) AMD made possible to use BFI_INT, BIT_ALIGN_INT directly from OpenCL kernels (via bitselect() and amd_bitalign()). I was amazed how easy to write GPU kernels for AMD cards now while their performance is nearly the same as hand-written IL kernels

It's still not perfect, but hey, small steps.

Nvidia, yeah... they're more likely to steal the code, adapt and rebrand it.

Cheeseball

Not a Potato
Supporter
Display(s) AOpen Fire Legend 24" 390Hz (25XV2Q), Alienware 34" 165Hz (AW3423DWF), LG C2 42" 120Hz (OLED42C2PUA)
Audio Device(s) Kanto Audio YU2 and SUB8 Desktop Speakers and Subwoofer, Cloud Alpha Wireless
This may not cost anything to the consumer, but this does change a lot for developers, especially ones who are aiming for the highest compatibility.

Currently, OpenCL code compiled on an Intel or NVIDIA platform run faster (up to 30%) than on AMD's implementation. This could be due to the backporting of features from CUDA to the OpenCL standard, but since it's already part of the standard, AMD needs to keep up.

NVIDIA more likely to steal code? Nope. It's AMD who's more likely to adapt to the standard, because you can't exactly "steal" an open framework.

Cheeseball

Not a Potato
Supporter
Double-post, I can't seem to delete or edit my last one. :p

NVIDIA already has an implementation, but it has to go through CUDA due to the language's nature. So if you're going utilize the kernel language on an NVIDIA card, it's best to go the CUDA route. If you're going to utilize it on an Intel CPU or AMD GPU, it's best to follow the standard static C++ route. At the end of the day, the compiled data (executable or whatnot) will run normally on ANY brand of stream processors.

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
Has OpenCL itself reached the same level of abilities as CUDA? Haven't kept up for a while.