• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Apple Updates MacBook Air and Current Generation MacBook Pro with New Hardware

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Apple today updated MacBook Air with the latest Intel Core processors, faster graphics and flash storage that is up to twice as fast as the previous generation.* MacBook Air is the ultimate everyday notebook, and with new lower prices it is more affordable than ever. The current generation 13-inch and 15-inch MacBook Pro have also been updated with the latest Intel Core processors and powerful discrete graphics from NVIDIA. Apple's popular AirPort Express has been redesigned to include features previously available only in AirPort Extreme.

"Today we've updated the entire MacBook line with faster processors, graphics, memory, flash storage and USB 3 connectivity," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. "We've made the world's best portable family even better and we think users are going to love the performance advances in both the MacBook Air and MacBook Pro."

Available in 11-inch and 13-inch designs, the new MacBook Air features the latest Core i5 and Core i7 dual-core processors and is perfect for browsing the web, making movies and managing photos. The new integrated Intel HD Graphics 4000 is up to 60 percent faster and gives the MacBook Air plenty of power to tackle games and videos.** MacBook Air features flash storage up to four times faster than traditional hard drives for instant-on performance and fast access to your apps and data. Now with 4GB of faster memory, configurable up to 8GB, you can run memory-intensive apps with ease. MacBook Air also features a new FaceTime HD camera that delivers high-definition 720p.

The 13-inch MacBook Pro features the latest Intel Core i5 or Core i7 dual-core processors up to 2.9 GHz with Turbo Boost speeds up to 3.6 GHz. The 15-inch MacBook Pro features the latest Intel Core i7 quad-core processors up to 2.7 GHz with Turbo Boost speeds up to 3.7 GHz and NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M discrete graphics. Both the 13-inch and 15-inch MacBook Pro can be configured with a 1 TB hard drive or SSDs up to 512 GB that are up to twice as fast as the previous generation.

MacBook Air and MacBook Pro both feature a high-speed Thunderbolt port and two USB 3.0 ports to easily connect to external displays and a wide variety of high performance peripherals. The 13-inch MacBook Air, and 13-inch and 15-inch MacBook Pro deliver up to 7 hours of wireless battery life, and the 11-inch MacBook Air delivers up to 5 hours. Mac notebook batteries use advanced chemistry and Adaptive Charging technology to provide up to 1,000 recharges.

The MacBook Air and MacBook Pro ship with OS X Lion. Starting today, customers who purchase a Mac are eligible for a free copy of OS X Mountain Lion when it becomes available. Mountain Lion introduces innovative features including the all new Messages app, Notification Center, system-wide Sharing, AirPlay Mirroring, Game Center and the enhanced security of Gatekeeper. With iCloud built into the foundation of OS X, Mountain Lion makes it easier than ever to keep your content up to date across all your devices.

Priced at just $99, the new AirPort Express features a completely redesigned compact enclosure and new wireless and connectivity capabilities. Simultaneous dual-band 802.11n Wi-Fi allows users to easily create a network that delivers optimal performance and range. The AirPort Express also features an audio-out port to connect external powered speakers or an A/V receiver and use AirPlay to wirelessly stream from iTunes on your Mac or iOS device. A USB 2.0 port allows you to share a printer wirelessly over your network, and an additional ethernet port lets you connect to other computers and network devices. Setup is built right into OS X and iOS and can be done in just a few simple steps, and with AirPort Utility 6.0 for OS X Lion and iOS you can access a visual map of your network for viewing and reconfiguring devices.

Pricing & Availability
The 11-inch MacBook Air comes with a 1.7 GHz processor, 4GB of memory and is available with 64GB of flash storage starting at $999 (US), and 128GB of flash storage starting at $1,099 (US). The 13-inch MacBook Air comes with a 1.8 GHz processor, 4GB of memory and is available with 128GB of flash storage starting at $1199 (US), and 256GB of flash storage starting at $1,499 (US). Configure-to-order options include a 2.0 GHz Intel Core i7 processor, up to 8GB of 1600 MHz DDR3 onboard memory and up to 512GB flash storage.

The 13-inch MacBook Pro is available with a 2.5 GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor, 4GB of memory and 500GB hard drive starting at $1,199 (US), and with a 2.9 GHz dual-core Intel Core i7 processor, 8GB of memory and 750GB hard drive starting at $1,499 (US). The 15-inch MacBook Pro is available with a 2.3 GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor, 4GB of memory, Intel HD Graphics 4000 and NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M, and 500GB hard drive starting at $1,799 (US); and with a 2.6 GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor, 8GB of memory, Intel HD Graphics 4000 and NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M, and 750GB hard drive starting at $2,199 (US). Configure-to-order options include faster quad-core processors up to 2.7 GHz, additional hard drive capacity up to 1 TB, up to 8 GB of memory and solid state storage up to 512 GB.

Additional technical specifications, configure-to-order options and accessories are available online at apple.com/macbookair or apple.com/macbook-pro. The updated MacBook Air and MacBook Pro are available through the Apple Online Store (www.apple.com), Apple's retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers.

*Testing conducted by Apple in June 2012 using preproduction MacBook Air configurations. For more information visit apple.com/macbookair/features.html.

**Testing conducted by Apple in June 2012 using preproduction MacBook Air configurations. For more information visit apple.com/macbookair/features.html.

***The Wireless Web protocol testing was conducted by Apple in June 2012 using preproduction MacBook Pro and MacBook Air configurations. Battery life and charge cycles vary by use and settings. For more information visit apple.com/macbook-pro/features/.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Completely Bonkers

Processor Mysterious Engineering Prototype
Motherboard Intel 865
Cooling Custom block made in workshop
Memory Corsair XMS 2GB
Video Card(s) FireGL X3-256
Display(s) 1600x1200 SyncMaster x 2 = 3200x1200
Software Windows 2003
Nice product. Nice prices. If only Apple had kept support for XP drivers in bootcamp I would go out and buy 2 even 3 tomorrow. (Very happy with XP for laptop and have licenses hanging around)

System Name Lailalo
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X Boosts to 4.95Ghz
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus (WIFI
Cooling Noctua
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) XFX 7900XT 20GB
Storage Samsung 970 Pro Plus 1TB, Crucial 1TB MX500 SSD, Segate 3TB
Display(s) LG Ultrawide 29in @ 2560x1080
Case Coolermaster Storm Sniper
Power Supply XPG 1000W
Mouse G602
Keyboard G510s
Software Windows 10 Pro / Windows 10 Home
Wonder if Apple used DDR3 or 5 for the 650M.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800x3d
Motherboard Asrock b550m riptide pd
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin
Memory 32gb (4x8) G.Skill RGB DDR4 @ 3200
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster QICK319 RX 7800 XT 16gb
Storage 1x Hynix P31 1tb (os) 1x 4tb SP UD90
Display(s) 1x Acer Predator X34, 2x 13.3 mobile USBC wings
Case Jonsbo D31 mesh
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Corsair SF750w
Software Windows 11
I'm a bit let down that Apple still isnt offering discrete graphics on the MacBook Air, or at least decent ATI or Nvidia graphics. I've been reluctant to upgrade my late 2010 Air and give up my Nvidia 320M in favor of Intel's HD 3000 (even though the Core i5 was significantly faster than the core 2 duo), and though the HD 4000 is probably a bit faster...I still don't see it as much of a graphics improvement. The other specs are easy for me to justify, I love the transfer speeds of USB 3, I would love to upgrade from 4gb 1066 up to 8gb 1600L, but the graphics just feels like a let down. Hell I can still run Diablo 3 at 1440x900 on low (or 720p on mixed medium) and get 25-30fps (maybe a bit higher, haven't tested since the latest patch as I have a desktop for gaming), and source games run fine as well.

IVB and HD4000 should be a step up, I guess I'll wait and see for myself before I decide. But if Apple had announced ATI or Nvidia had come back to the Air, I would have been much more excited.

System Name Dell XPS 15 9560
Processor I7-7700HQ
Memory 32GB DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1050/1080 Ti
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) 2x Dell P2715Q/4k Internal
Case Razer Core
Audio Device(s) Creative E5/Objective 2 Amp/Senn HD650
Mouse Logitech Proteus Core
Keyboard Logitech G910
IVB and HD4000 should be a step up, I guess I'll wait and see for myself before I decide. But if Apple had announced ATI or Nvidia had come back to the Air, I would have been much more excited.

I agree, my Air is a bit long in the tooth too.

Unlike windows though, the HD series actually has properly working drivers[OS X], atleast. Windows its a crapshoot to get stuff working. I'm confident after using the HD3000 on my i5 that the 4000 is still a pretty hefty step up over the 320 Nvidia offered.

I really would like to see AMD be able to step up and compete in the ULV dual core area. We need some GPU love! :)

Last edited:
System Name CUBE_NXT
Processor i9 12900K @ 5.0Ghz all P-cores with E-cores enabled
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master
Cooling EK AIO Elite Cooler w/ 3 Phanteks T30 fans
Memory 64GB DDR5 @ 5600Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA 3090Ti Ultra Hybrid Gaming w/ 3 Phanteks T30 fans
Storage 1 x SK Hynix P41 Platinum 1TB, 1 x 2TB, 1 x WD_BLACK SN850 2TB, 1 x WD_RED SN700 4TB
Display(s) Alienware AW3418DW
Case Lian-Li O11 Dynamic Evo w/ 3 Phanteks T30 fans
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME 1000W Titanium
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Well given the pathetic refresh of the MBA, that pretty much leaves the new Zenbook Prime as the best Ultrabook on the market, what with its 1920x1080 matte IPS panel.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
I like how they just get USB 3 and they proudly pronounce it as if it is a new feature for all computer hardware. I have had it on my laptop for a long time now.

Processor I7-7700HQ
Memory 32GB DDR4
Storage 1TB SSD
Case Razer Core
Keyboard Logitech G910
I like how they just get USB 3 and they proudly pronounce it as if it is a new feature for all computer hardware. I have had it on my laptop for a long time now.

Actually, after seeing the keynote, they just said "usb 3, oh look a pretty bar graph" and then moved on to the other important stuff; retina/mountain lion/iOS 6. Its not really "omgomgomgomg usb3" at all. For good reason too, though. Its just new because ivy bridge offers it baseline.

System Name CUBE_NXT
Processor i9 12900K @ 5.0Ghz all P-cores with E-cores enabled
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master
Cooling EK AIO Elite Cooler w/ 3 Phanteks T30 fans
Memory 64GB DDR5 @ 5600Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA 3090Ti Ultra Hybrid Gaming w/ 3 Phanteks T30 fans
Storage 1 x SK Hynix P41 Platinum 1TB, 1 x 2TB, 1 x WD_BLACK SN850 2TB, 1 x WD_RED SN700 4TB
Display(s) Alienware AW3418DW
Case Lian-Li O11 Dynamic Evo w/ 3 Phanteks T30 fans
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME 1000W Titanium
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit

The only thing I found rather stupid was that when they were labeling the USB ports, they labeled them as; "USB 3.0/USB 2.0." Well no shit sherlock.

System Name Lailalo
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X Boosts to 4.95Ghz
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus (WIFI
Cooling Noctua
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) XFX 7900XT 20GB
Storage Samsung 970 Pro Plus 1TB, Crucial 1TB MX500 SSD, Segate 3TB
Display(s) LG Ultrawide 29in @ 2560x1080
Case Coolermaster Storm Sniper
Power Supply XPG 1000W
Mouse G602
Keyboard G510s
Software Windows 10 Pro / Windows 10 Home
I'm a bit let down that Apple still isnt offering discrete graphics on the MacBook Air, or at least decent ATI or Nvidia graphics. I've been reluctant to upgrade my late 2010 Air and give up my Nvidia 320M in favor of Intel's HD 3000 (even though the Core i5 was significantly faster than the core 2 duo), and though the HD 4000 is probably a bit faster...I still don't see it as much of a graphics improvement. The other specs are easy for me to justify, I love the transfer speeds of USB 3, I would love to upgrade from 4gb 1066 up to 8gb 1600L, but the graphics just feels like a let down. Hell I can still run Diablo 3 at 1440x900 on low (or 720p on mixed medium) and get 25-30fps (maybe a bit higher, haven't tested since the latest patch as I have a desktop for gaming), and source games run fine as well.

Yeah they are faster than that 320M but it is still Intel so...shoddy drivers. I was really hoping Apple would intro an inexpensive Trinity Book. The MBAs make me laugh. MBPs are just...ehhh. Too expensive for what they come with.

Oh well, Apple lost my sale. They would have had it if they did a Trinity book for maybe $800-$1000. Heck even $1200 I would have prolly gone.

I'll just wait for PC side. See how it fares then plan on transitioning the last of my Mac only software over to Windows. Complete the conversion to PC only. Thank you Apple, I'm a PC because of you.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800x3d
Motherboard Asrock b550m riptide pd
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin
Memory 32gb (4x8) G.Skill RGB DDR4 @ 3200
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster QICK319 RX 7800 XT 16gb
Storage 1x Hynix P31 1tb (os) 1x 4tb SP UD90
Display(s) 1x Acer Predator X34, 2x 13.3 mobile USBC wings
Case Jonsbo D31 mesh
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Corsair SF750w
Software Windows 11
The only thing I found rather stupid was that when they were labeling the USB ports, they labeled them as; "USB 3.0/USB 2.0." Well no shit sherlock.

I believe the point there was showing that Apple was putting nothing but USB 3.0 on the new MacBook Air and Pro generations, rather than how some manufacturers are throwing just 1x USB 2.0 and 1x USB 3.0 port on their ultrabooks or some other combination of mix and match on the larger ones. There is no reason not to go all out on a premium laptop in these price ranges. That seemed pretty clear in the keynote speech.

Yeah they are faster than that 320M but it is still Intel so...shoddy drivers. I was really hoping Apple would intro an inexpensive Trinity Book. The MBAs make me laugh. MBPs are just...ehhh. Too expensive for what they come with.

Yea my experience with Intel's modern HD graphics on my HTPC has not been good and I must admit I have been forced back to ATI, currently with an HD 6450 2gb/128bit which I've modded to be passively cooled. But that has also had driver issues, up until the recent 12.6 beta I had a hell of a time due to HDMI audio dieing after my tv and/or receiver being turned off, if I came back to watch something later I would have to restart the whole pc to get HDMI audio back. Using the HD2000 graphics in the 2100T solved that but I had artifacting caused by drivers (damn thing is a 35w water cooled chip and never gets above 40c). So there are driver issues on both fronts I'd say...but given ATI's got far better control, better control panel, better features, and the fact that this issue was actually resolved in 12.6 I'd like to stick with them.

Processor I7-7700HQ
Memory 32GB DDR4
Storage 1TB SSD
Case Razer Core
Keyboard Logitech G910

Oh well, Apple lost my sale. They would have had it if they did a Trinity book for maybe $800-$1000. Heck even $1200 I would have prolly gone.

I'll just wait for PC side. See how it fares then plan on transitioning the last of my Mac only software over to Windows. Complete the conversion to PC only. Thank you Apple, I'm a PC because of you.

Trinity cannot compete in the ULV market currently.

They really just don't have anything to offer.

OS X also negates the HD windows driver issues. Apples driver doesn't fall apart like the Windows one does.

As nice as having a better GPU would be, in the MBAs, going from a sandy bridge to trinity would hurt more than it would help in overall performance. Theres more of a demand for CPU performance in that market than there is GPU. I peg my 1.4c2d air CPU on a regular basis, to its absolute maximum. The Gt320 sits idle 99% of the time.