• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

"NVIDIA is the Single Worst Company We've Ever Dealt With:" Linus Torvalds

What could have been Linus' thought-process?

• His comment is backed by reason.

Votes: 52 62.7%
  • His comment is backed by emotion.

Votes: 31 37.3%

• Total voters

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
NVidia has always had a hands off approach to Linux. I thought it was common knowledge to avoid nVidia if you wanted to run linux and have decent video hardware support. And, IMO, that is a perfectly legitimate stance to have. Yes, it would be nice if they better supported Linux, but honestly why would they? The market share for linux is so small that putting all that development time into proper support likely wouldn't amount to a profit.

And the girl asking the question annoys me. She is smart enough to use linux on a daily basis, but not smart enough to pick hardware that properly supports it? WTF?!

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
NVidia has always had a hands off approach to Linux. I thought it was common knowledge to avoid nVidia if you wanted to run linux and have decent video hardware support. And, IMO, that is a perfectly legitimate stance to have. Yes, it would be nice if they better supported Linux, but honestly why would they? The market share for linux is so small that putting all that development time into proper support likely wouldn't amount to a profit.

im no linux fan , ive not a clue how to use it and had the clearly blinkerred view you and nvidia have before, but ive an android phone now so things change and nvidias views on linux need to change, and will, id put my left(rights not leavin me;)) arm on nvidia backing linux or fadeing from this world,tegra2,3,4,5,8,99,x, denver nuff said.

Huang would no sooner cut his left tatty off then loose mobile Oem contracts, so they will get in line.

Xyvik

System Name Tigershark III
Processor AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
Motherboard MSI 890FXA
Cooling Stock
Memory 8 gbs
Video Card(s) ATi Radeon 5870
Storage Western Digital VelociRaptor
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Enermax
As someone who has only had a very minor professional dealing with nVidia that was absolutely atrocious, I'm glad to hear somebody much more in the public eye bashing nVidia. For many many years they have had a "I'm holier than thou, and prettier to boot" attitude that I simply can't stomach. I think it's better when people, even in business, speak their emotions and their thoughts rather than always trying to be "politically correct." If you've had bad experiences with a company that simply refuses to work with you, then call them out on it. Sure, you might lose a few of the pure fanboi customers, but who wants them anyway?

It was only a matter of time till the aaltotalk reached major tech sites. Good one, Linus. Tell them how it is. Nvidia's support for Linux is indeed pretty bad and anyone defending them is a true fanboy.

System Name H-A-L9000
Processor 3770k
Motherboard Asus p67 Sabertooth
Cooling Custom liquid CPU & GPU
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 1600MHz
Video Card(s) sapphire 290x
Storage 256 Vector, 120 Vertex 2E, 2x 1TB Samsung F3 in RAID 0
Display(s) Dell 2407WFP
Case Akasa Omega
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Phoebus
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Software Win 7 64 pro

And the girl asking the question annoys me. She is smart enough to use linux on a daily basis, but not smart enough to pick hardware that properly supports it? WTF?!

I agree. The comment you make about the girls question just reminds me of smart people trying to tell me that apple is the way to go :banghead:

trickson

OH, I have such a headache
System Name Ryzen TUF.
Processor AMD Ryzen7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF X570 Gaming Plus
Cooling Noctua
Memory Gskill RipJaws 3466MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TUF 1650 Super Clocked.
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S750H
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Software Windows 10 64 bit Home OEM
It's all about the MONEY!

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
System Name "Da Krawnik Six Hunnit"
Processor Intel i5 2500K @ 4.6GHz
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 EVO (B3)
Cooling H100i w/2x Bitfenix Spectre Pros + Bitfenix Spectre Pro Blue LED 1x 200mm + 1x 120mm
Memory Patriot Intel Extreme Masters Limited Edition 8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 @ 1491MHz (Actual Boost) / 7.6GHz
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + 2x WD Green 2TB + 1x WD Green 1TB
Display(s) BenQ XL2430T 144Hz
Case Corsair 600T w/full custom 1/2" acrylic side panel
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
Power Supply Coolermaster Silent Pro 850w
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD (laser)
Keyboard Corsair K65 RGB
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Couldn't care less about benchmark scores.
We don't have the full story yet, but the lynching has already begun...

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
im no linux fan , ive not a clue how to use it and had the clearly blinkerred view you and nvidia have before, but ive an android phone now so things change and nvidias views on linux need to change, and will, id put my left(rights not leavin me;)) arm on nvidia backing linux or fadeing from this world,tegra2,3,4,5,8,99,x, denver nuff said.

Huang would no sooner cut his left tatty off then loose mobile Oem contracts, so they will get in line.

I think the smartphone/android market is a different story entirely. They've embraced that market a lot compared to the PC side because of their Tegra project. It is the PC side that I was talking about. I mean, I didn't hear a lot of people complain about android on the tegra platform, my Droid X2 seems to work wonderfully.

But of course the Android marketshare is a much bigger one to capture compared to the PC Linux share, they are pretty much totally different beasts. And Android has the backing of google, with google willing to put some dev time into making their OS work properly. But in the end, there is money to be made on Android, and not money to be made with PC Linux.

Last edited:

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Hey Linux you want some thing better to work with? Then make a mainstream OS like Windows or SHUT THE FUCK UP!

Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
:D
Hey Linux you want some thing better to work with? Then make a mainstream OS like Windows or SHUT THE FUCK UP!

what a whimsickle delight it is to see you back trickson:D:toast:, where have you been, your not snaggin me :)

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
:D

what a whimsickle delight it is to see you back trickson:D:toast:, where have you been, your not snaggin me :)

LOL. Well really! Come on Linux is nothing more than a novelty OS nothing more! And then they cry about it as if they are entitled! The dip shit even flipped the bird and said fuck you to nVidia! WTF? Yeah that should get them to work with you so much more closer!

Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
LOL. Well really! Come on Linux is nothing more than a novelty OS nothing more! And then they cry about it as if they are entitled! The dip shit even flipped the bird and said fuck you to nVidia! WTF? Yeah that should get them to work with you so much more closer!

i might once have agreed, but id have been daft,,

Androids rule this planet now and will probably evolve into our everything and masters, and they are based on lynux,,,,,, nvidia want to sell Soc's for these devices and the best way to do that is,,, to show off your Tech,,, small fry my ass theirs many a potential win for consumer and nvidia going awry here..;)

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600

Androids rule this planet now and will probably evolve into our everything and masters, and they are based on lynux,,,,,, nvidia want to sell Soc's for these devices and the best way to do that is,,, to show off your Tech,,, small fry my ass theirs many a potential win for consumer and nvidia going awry here..;)

That is the thing though, Torvalds has nothing really to do with Android, so his comment doesn't tell us anything about how nVidia is dealing with Android.

Yes, Android is Linux based, but it is at this point a totally different beast from PC Linux. So making assumptions that nVidia is handling Android the same way they handle PC Linux is not that smart.

And quite frankly, Android being based of Linux doesn't mean it is Linux. If you ask Google, the people who created Android, Android is not Linux. Weather or not Android can be considered Linux is still being argued. Of course Torvalds thinks Android is Linux, because then he can claim it's success as his. I bet if you went to the guys at AT&T and Bell Labs and asked them if Linux was Unix, they say it was...

Last edited:

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech

I hate smart phones. If you are so dumb as to not know where you are in your own town then get a map! If you are so dependent on a smart phone and app to help you out every day of your life you need to seek some real help and fast!
What is the world coming to when I need to tell my smart phone to remind me to clean up my home? How lazy and stupid are we any way? Really people! so your android phone has a nVidia video card? OH man! :wtf:

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
What is the world coming to ...

Just wake up from a long nap or something? People can't live anymore without texting, sharing pictures, facebook and the like.

For the record ... I have a dumb phone. It's just for calling people.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
I hate smart phones. If you are so dumb as to not know where you are in your own town then get a map! If you are so dependent on a smart phone and app to help you out every day of your life you need to seek some real help and fast!
What is the world coming to when I need to tell my smart phone to remind me to clean up my home? How lazy and stupid are we any way? Really people! so your android phone has a nVidia video card? OH man! :wtf:

Yeah, that makes total sense. I service Chicago, ever major Chicago suburb, and NWI. I could have 50 maps of every city in my car, that makes so much more sense than just using my Smartphone...:wtf:

Wrigleyvillain

PTFO or GTFO
System Name DarkStar
Processor i5 3570K 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asrock Z77 Extreme 3
Cooling Apogee HD White/XSPC Razer blocks
Memory 8GB Samsung Green 1600
Video Card(s) 2 x GTX 670 4GB
Storage 2 x 120GB Samsung 830
Display(s) 27" QNIX
Case Enthoo Pro
Power Supply Seasonic Platinum 760
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard Ducky Pro MX Black
Software Windows 8.1 x64
What's the issue specifically? I was running Ubuntu on an AMD system and didn't have any problems... other than my initial Linux n00biness.

I believe it was re. the ease of getting proper 3D support functioning and perhaps also performance-related gripes about AMD cards under Linux compared to NV but I'm less sure about the latter.

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Just wake up from a long nap or something? People can't live anymore without texting, sharing pictures, facebook and the like.

For the record ... I have a dumb phone. It's just for calling people.

No just got the divorce!

For the record I hope to GOD in Heaven that the SUN will blast out a CME so big that it wipes out all this shit! Really I do! I have no use for texting, WTF is that all about any way? You text some one WHY? Send a letter a phone is to TALK to people not tell you to feed the baby! Or take a shit! The problem is this as I see it. Technology has gone just way to far and now we are seeing the results of this as the dumbing down of the people of the world. Most people are so stupid now they need a GPS in there car to go 3 blocks away from there home! I mean COME ON! Grow a brain think for your self learn things from a book! Please GOD send this planet a CME so large the aurora's will be seen in Texas!

Wrigleyvillain

PTFO or GTFO
System Name DarkStar
Processor i5 3570K 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asrock Z77 Extreme 3
Cooling Apogee HD White/XSPC Razer blocks
Memory 8GB Samsung Green 1600
Video Card(s) 2 x GTX 670 4GB
Storage 2 x 120GB Samsung 830
Display(s) 27" QNIX
Case Enthoo Pro
Power Supply Seasonic Platinum 760
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard Ducky Pro MX Black
Software Windows 8.1 x64
Dude I hate talking on the damn phone. Especially in public. Texting is a godsend IMO. And I'm an older, relatively-frumpy fuck like you. Well maybe not quite that much.

nvidia wants to protect its technology best it can. They support linux completely with drivers, very stable and good drivers at that. They just havent been generous when it comes to giving away their code. Nvidia would rather give out drivers they made for linux than give away their code to open source. If you think about it, why would nvidia want to give away their secrets? Stuff like optimus gives nvidia a competitive edge, lots of money went into it and people really expect nvidia to give this code away to the open source.

the difference between nvidia and other companies is that nvidia considers itself a software company just as much as it is hardware. They have invested handsomely into their software and have some of the best programmers they can grab up. They think highly of their software and want to protect it. Its their investment.

I dont understand what the issue really is :confused:
nvidia has drivers available to anyone who uses Linux. There is no need to try to reverse engineer them in the first place. These guys are making a big fuss and it makes you wonder what the underline reasoning is. What are they really lacking here? Nvidia has every reason to protect their technology.

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Dude I hate talking on the damn phone. Especially in public. Texting is a godsend IMO. And I'm an older, relatively-frumpy fuck like you.

Then do not talk in public! I mean all this smart phone this app that ipod this ipad that. Have you not seen just how dumb this is making humans? How many here know how to read a MAP? I do! I know North, South, East and West but now the Smart phone does all the work for you no need to grow a brain! :twitch:

faramir

I agree. The comment you make about the girls question just reminds me of smart people trying to tell me that apple is the way to go :banghead:

Well, you don't appear to be too bright either, in spite of your snide remak. The girl in video mentioned she bought her computer quite some time ago [when Optimus was fresh] and assumed NVidia would come up with support for it eventually [as they had with basic functions of their graphics cards such as displaying picture]. Not an unreasonable expectation from a paying customer to have a product supported in full. Others have listed examples of companies that either care enough to support their products directly (be it with open or closed drivers) or at least volunteer the information needed to others so they can do their work for them, at no cost.

The comment you made reminds me of dumb people tryiong to tell me that - in their opinion - somebody else isn't very smart, while they seem to be pretty thick themselves.