• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft Announces Surface: New Family of PCs for Windows

Does this have the potential to beat the iPad?

• Yes

Votes: 38 65.5%
  • No

Votes: 20 34.5%

• Total voters
System Name AM5
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard Asrock X670E Taichi
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 64 Gb - XMP1 Profile
Video Card(s) AMD Reference 7900 XTX 24 Gb
Storage Samsung Gen 4 980 1 TB / Samsung 8TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung 34" 240hz 4K
Case Fractal Define R7
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME PX-1300, 1300W 80+ Platinum, Full Modular
WHen customized to the needs of a user, yes, it is.

It is a good alternative t oWIndows7 for power users? NOPE. I never made that claim, but Windows 8 does have a very specific purpose in the market, and Surface very neatly targets part of the ecosystem that Windows 8 is all about.

Oh lord help... It has to be customized to a company full of employees who are going to bitch about every little IT thing... Sounds like a disaster to me.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Oh lord help... It has to be customized to a company full of employees who are going to bitch about every little IT thing... Sounds like a disaster to me.

Sounds like every day in the field, to me, now, and since technology first made an appearance in the workplace. Ask any IT Manager. Whether it's limiting client-side features like disk defrag, ability to install new programs, or the like, this is part and parcel of what the industry is all about. But thanks for the conversation, anyway. ;)

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
But it's not a touchscreen?:wtf:

I just today spoke to a multi-billion company(oil and gas) about remote deployment, and guess what software they want to run, and guess what hardware?

And guess what type of interface they wanted? TOUCHSCREEN.

No laptop has touchscreen. Because then it is a tablet. You keep coming up with failed alternatives to surface, because none of them are TOUCHSCREEN.

Why touchscreen? EASE OF USE.

Companies want to limit the functionality, to limit error, but at the same time, offer a wide variety of functionality that isn't limited by processing power. The Surface was designed with those characteristics in mind.

Yes, many companies, including healthcare, want tablets. TOUCHSCREEN TABLETs. And yes, many of them, right now, are using iPads. The number one complaint? LACK OF HORSEPOWER.

So, find a TOUCHSREEN LAPTOP for less than the Surface, as Mailman said, with similar specs, not alternatives that don't offer the same functionality.

Boom goes the dynamite.

System Name AM5
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Case Fractal Define R7
1. Don't double post.

2. The fact you keep bringing up laptops vs tablets shows me you are out of the loop. Most reps in the field are in sales. This is why they are IN THE FIELD. They don't need or want a laptop. They do very light data entry for PO's and such and need to be SEAMLESSLY connected to a corporate infrastructure. They also need to present well. This is something ALL tablets do leaps and bounds better then any laptop. If is was about being "cheap" Levono would have been out of business years ago.

Everything that can be done in the field can be done better (at this point) with an iPad at a cheaper price point.

Sounds like every day in the field, to me, now, and since technology first made an appearance in the workplace. Ask any IT Manager. Whether it's limiting client-side features like disk defrag, ability to install new programs, or the like, this is part and parcel of what the industry is all about. But thanks for the conversation, anyway. ;)

Yes please go about customizing a windows 8 tablet to make it easy to use. I can't wait to see this.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Yes please go about customizing a windows 8 tablet to make it easy to use. I can't wait to see this.

It's no different than the billions of office boxes already running Windows in office world-wide. That's part of what Microsoft sells to businesses.

I see you do not subscribe to the Microsoft Technet Newsletters then, because this is a recurring theme in those.

System Name AM5
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Case Fractal Define R7
It's no differnt than biollions of office boxes already runnign Windows. That's part of what Microsfot sells to businesses.

I see you do not subscribe to the Microsoft Technet Newsletters then, because this is a recurring theme in those.

Please continue to dance around the topic...

The iOS is easier to use than Windows 8 on any level.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Uh, here, I've leave you with this(no dancing involved, altohugh, i do love to two-step:laugh:):

PCL Construction recognized an opportunity with Windows To Go and how it could enable the work styles of its employees. Working with Windows 8 Release Preview versions of Windows To Go, PCL Construction employees can carry their entire managed corporate desktop and bring it along with them on a small bootable USB drive wherever they go – on the jobsite, from a field office, or from the comfort of their own home computer. They decided on an early implementation of Windows 8 to get feedback from users quickly and in an effort to remove any potential adoption barriers when Windows 8 rolls out to all employees.

and this:

Russ Rosen, CIO of Rooms To Go, stated, “Windows 8 provides Rooms To Go the ability to develop a custom point of sale application that takes advantage of continuous connectivity, and provides a natural touch interface to allow for a cost-effective experience for our sales associates across 175 stores.”

Sure, not everyone like WIndows. But many, in fact, the majority of businesses do. Even secure ones:

Finally, the Dutch Public Prosecution Service, through their partner Sparked, is planning to outfit their employees with custom line-of-business applications accessing a Microsoft SharePoint backend on Windows 8 tablet. These applications allow prosecution officers to remain effective and productive whether working in an office, courtroom or while mobile.

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b/business/

No dancing involved, just real COMPANY statements about everything I have said in previous posts here in this thread. Personally, I don't care what people use, or think. But I won't deny that Microsoft is on to something here.

System Name AM5
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Case Fractal Define R7

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Oh wow... Companies will finally update from Windows XP because Microsoft is releasing a Tablet tablet that uses Windows 8?

That's not what I said. But ok, if that what you want to think I said, please, be my guest. :laugh:

We could have an intelligent discussion, rather than arguing, too, but I guess not that, either, eh?

:toast:

But directly, yes, there have been companies that are looking for exactly that..an EVOLUTION to how they do busines, as long as it remains affordable, and profitable.

Damn, I did too much marketing today, I'm just in that mode. Time to go play some games. :laugh:

System Name AM5
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Case Fractal Define R7
That's not what I said. But ok, if that what you want to think I said, please, be my guest. :laugh:

We could have an intelligent discussion, rather than arguing, too, but I guess not that, either, eh?

:toast:

I think people will buy this product and love it. People have a passion for Microsoft products because it is a Microsoft product (just like anything else).

Now for it being a tool. It certainly is... However, I don't believe it's the best tool in the shed.

Things that I think will kill this tablet no matter how many testimonials and opinions and facts you give me:

• Price
  • Size
  • OS w/ Worse Reviews Vista
  • Being late to the party

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I think people will buy this product and love it. People have a passion for Microsoft products because it is a Microsoft product (just like anything else).

Now for it being a tool. It certainly is... However, I don't believe it's the best tool in the shed.

Things that I think will kill this tablet no matter how many testimonials and opinions and facts you give me:

• Price
  • Size
  • OS w/ Reviews Worse Than Vista

You could be right. Price isn't that big of a deal in volume purchasing(prices are negotible based on volume), size is what was asked for(literally), and OS reviews currently that take WIndows 8 negatively typically aren't done by companies. In fact, I posted three testimonials above, by companies, saying that they liek what Windows 8 has to offer (as did the company I spoke to today).

I mean, I'm not one to tell peopel that if they want to buy something, they are wrong in doing so. There are benefits to be had with Windows 8 that other OSes don't offer without signifigant monetary and time investment. All that Microsfot is trying to do with SUrface, is to take a lot of that confusion about specs, pricing, and features, out of the equation, and offering a platform by which custom solutions can be designed, and then deployed.

The problem with iOS is that it doesn't offer that flexibility, nor does it have the large number of available properly-trained developers and existing applications that can be leveraged like Windows does.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
The problem with iOS is that it doesn't offer that flexibility, nor does it have the large number of available properly-trained developers and existing applications that can be leveraged like Windows does.

Yeah but it plays Angry Birds like a motherf@#ker. Work related intergration? Not so much.

System Name AM5
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Case Fractal Define R7
You could be right. Price isn't that big of a deal in volume purchasing(prices are negotible based on volume), size is what was asked for(literally), and OS reviews currently that take WIndows 8 negatively typically aren't done by companies. In fact, I posted three testimonials above, by companies, saying that they liek what Windows 8 has to offer (as did the company I spoke to today).

I mean, I'm not one to tell peopel that if they want to buy something, they are wrong in doing so. There are benefits to be had with Windows 8 that other OSes don't offer without signifigant monetary and time investment. All that Microsfot is trying to do with SUrface, is to take a lot of that confusion about specs, pricing, and features, out of the equation, and offering a platform by which custom solutions can be designed, and then deployed.

I don't think the buisiness world wants to fork up the money for a new OS, new hardware, a volume of Microsoft Surfaces, and everything that goes along with it just so they can seemlessly use the Microsoft Surface. Firstly, we are nearing an election year, so the buisiness world if going to be cautious of many things in regards to finances. Secondly, the money that goes along with what I previously mentioned. Lastly, you have to take in to consideration Apple's position in the tablet market right now. To say the least, they are completely dominating everything in sight in terms of tablets. If Apple felt the surface was a threat to their buisiness, they would just drop the price of the iPad even further.

It just seems like there is too much against the product right now in terms of the buisiness world and personal world, in my humble opinion.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
I don't think the buisiness world wants to fork up the money for a new OS, new hardware, a volume of Microsoft Surfaces, and everything that goes along with it just so they can seemlessly use the Microsoft Surface. Firstly, we are nearing an election year, so the buisiness world if going to be cautious of many things. Secondly, the money that goes along with what I previously mentioned. Lastly, you have to take in to consideration Apple's position in the tablet market right now. To say the least, they are completely dominating everything in sight in terms of tablets. If Apple felt the surface was a threat to there buisiness, they would just drop the price of the iPad even further.

It just seems like there is too much against the product right now in terms of the buisiness world and personal world, in my humble opinion.

Ah ok so they will just buy old laptops without a touch screen and run XP, OR they will buy iPads that don't integrate with their infrastructure and are vastly under powered compared to the Surface? Wow! You are really on to something!

Processor Xeon x5650
Motherboard SABERTOOTH X58
Cooling Fans
Memory 24 GB Kingston HyperX 1600
Video Card(s) GTX 1060 3GB
Storage small ssd
Display(s) Dell 2001F, BenQ short throw
Case Lian Li
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply X750
Software Mint 19.3, Win 10
Benchmark Scores not so fast...
I don't give a shit what the OS is...if the app that is running is not finger friendly, might as well use a Treo. The developers have to think about button placement, what the button next to the other button will do if accidentally pressed, minimizing menu accesses, clarity of the next task...none of this has to do with hardware or os. Besides arm vs x86

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
you can still integrate ipads into windows based networks with vmware view and vmware vsphere. many businesses allready have vmware vsphere and remote desktops so adding an ipad to that and using the remote vmware view desktop is easy as installing an app from the app store. the employee can use the same remote desktop on all vmware view supporting devices like android, ios, etc.... and use the same workstation they do at work or whatever.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
How about just entire a domain name, username, password, and you're in? VMWare is a bad idea in a business environment--just another thing to go wrong costing money instead of making it.

System Name Aluminum Mallard
Processor Ryzen 1900x
Motherboard AsRock Phantom 6
Cooling AIO
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) EVGA 3080Ti FTW
Storage SSD
Display(s) Benq Zowie
Case Cosmos 1000
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Corsair CX750
VR HMD HTV Vive, Valve Index
Software Arch Linux
Benchmark Scores 31 FPS in Dalaran
I forsee the biggest customer base for the Surface being State and Federal governments.

Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
you can install windows 8 on a mac with bootcamp or vmware fusion... vmware fusion can even run bootcamp partitions!

Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
How about just entire a domain name, username, password, and you're in? VMWare is a bad idea in a business environment--just another thing to go wrong costing money instead of making it.

is there an ipad app for that that's as reliable as using vmware??? and as secure??? show us please!

and vmware also scales and has fault tolerance. not just a remote desktop, but a remote desktop that's scalable and fault tolerant. want more RAM? just log into vmware vsphere client and add RAM in a few clicks. You also get way more controls and security then using regular domains. each remote desktop is isolated and dedicated. way more secure then regular user/domains.

webhosts use this all the time.

and vmware is used by tons of companies of all sizes and it's actually more reliable to have a cloud server network, redundant SANs and thin clients then it is to have old school servers.

if you got a cloud then you just add the RAM, cores, etc with the vmware console rather then physically powering off a server and upgrading the RAM. and with vmware you can even upgrade the whole cluster by just adding a machine to it seamlessly. and if one server fails the vm is instantly moved to a different server with no downtime becuase the data is stored on the SAN.

Last edited:

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
is there an ipad app for that that's as reliable as using vmware??? and as secure??? show us please!

and vmware also scales and has fault tolerance. not just a remote desktop, but a remote desktop that's scalable and fault tolerant. want more RAM? just log into vmware vsphere client and add RAM in a few clicks. You also get way more controls and security then using regular domains. each remote desktop is isolated and dedicated. way more secure then regular user/domains.

webhosts use this all the time.

He's not talking about iPad. He's talking about Win 8 and surface. No matter how you slice it, Win 8 will integrate into the infrastructure of a Windows based work environment better than any other option, period. It's fully native. No need for any third party tools like VMware. VMware is a band aid solution, not native integration.

Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
this is for businesses allready using vmware or considering moving to cloud based infrastructure.... and the example was in regards to the ipads cant be used for work purposes comment.....

(PLEASE NOTE: this is not the same "cloud" as file storage sites, this is private clouds managed by your company and not an external entity)

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Only journalistic buinsesses have invested heavily in iPad. I doubt that is likely to change seeing as they, in particular, spearhead the cult of Apple (and always have).

Most other businesses are sticking with what they know (desktops and laptops). They haven't ventured into tablets/netbooks/ultrabooks yet. They're the masses that will likely buy up Windows 8 Pro in droves.

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
iPads can be used for business, and currently are, but they are buggy and don't work nearly as well as a native product, hence companies all but begging for something like Surface.

System Name Grandpa
Processor i5 4690K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK
Cooling water
Memory 8GB Corsair Vengence 2400MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 5850 x2
Storage Samsung SM951
Display(s) Catleap 27"
Case coolermaster stacker
Power Supply corsair AX860i
Mouse logitech g5 original
Keyboard Ducky
Software Windows 8.1
The iPad does this and is cheaper and less bulky.

Furthermore, this is more of an extremely overpriced laptop than a tablet.

Lol please sir you have no idea about me so please don't even start to think you do.

I am a travelling rep and I have read these and your other posts in this thread. You haven't a clue. What reps want are tablets running their corporate software. The only thing that will stop the surge to windows tablets will be HTML based corporate portals. I can't see that happening yet.