• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GTX460 BIOS Flashing problem.

daverm

Hello everyone, I am currently attempting to flash my Nvidia GTX 460 to be able to play battlefield 3.
Usually I wouldn't try something like this, but because of a massive coding error, causing a lot of people to not be able to play the game, which they neglect to fix, I have to flash my BIOS according to EA.

But I have encountered a problem while trying to edit my settings in NiBiTor, they can't be changed and are blanked out.

I just wanted to know if it's because I can't edit my BIOS or if it's a software issue.

Here is a screenshot of my NiBiTor.

http://postimage.org/image/pmvwloomz/

Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
Hmmm how is flashing the bios allowing you to play BF3? I have seen many people play BF3 on a GTX 460 without issue. What is the game doing that your card is restricting?

daverm

It's a stuttering issue that's been around for about 3 months. The game runs fine for about 5 minutes, 60-70 frame rate. Then the stuttering comes into play and makes the game unplayable.
The issue has been around for about 3 months and they won't fix it. I didn't get it before one of their updates, and now I can't play.

So I sent them my DXDIAG information and that's what they told me to do.

brandonwh64

It's a stuttering issue that's been around for about 3 months. The game runs fine for about 5 minutes, 60-70 frame rate. Then the stuttering comes into play and makes the game unplayable.
The issue has been around for about 3 months and they won't fix it. I didn't get it before one of their updates, and now I can't play.

So I sent them my DXDIAG information and that's what they told me to do.

Is this the 768MB model? If so then you maybe running out of VRAM. Also if you have a CPU with HT, have you tried the core parking fix?

nikko

Under the tools menu choose Fermi clocks and Fermi voltage.

What settings do you change?

My 460GTX 2GB usually fills below 1GB mark with textures in BF3 but often as much as 1.2GB playable frame rates above 45.

daverm

I haven't changed anything yet, and to be honest I don't think I want to just because of Dice's screw up with the game. I don't see why I should have to even attempt this when I have plenty enough of a good computer system to play this.

@brandonwh64 It is the 768MB, I have 3gb virtual RAM enable as per an apparent fix for this game problem. My CPU doesn't have HT.

System Name Darth Obsidious
Processor Intel i5 2500K
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V/Gen3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+ in Push Pull
Memory 2X4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) ASUS R9 270x TOP
Storage 128GB Samsung 830 SSD, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Green
Display(s) LG IPS234V-PN
Case Corsair Obsidian 650D
Audio Device(s) Infrasonic Quartet
Power Supply Corsair HX650w
Software Windows 7 64bit and Windows XP Home
Benchmark Scores 2cm mark on bench with a razor blade.
Don't bother with going to such extremes just for one game.

I would have thought VRAM running out as well.
First thing I do when that happens is reduce the amount of AA, then AF in a game which shows me any problems.

daverm

Yeah I'm just going to leave it, I tried both ultra settings and low settings, exactly the same thing.
Screw it dice suck.
Thanks for the quick replies :)

brandonwh64

Have you tried a full format? Also have you tried older drivers?

daverm

I've tried a whole lot of things, including reformatting, cleaning reg, defrag, console commands, option editing including dx versions. You name it, I've tried it.

brandonwh64

I've tried a whole lot of things, including reformatting, cleaning reg, defrag, console commands, option editing including dx versions. You name it, I've tried it.

Hmmm weird issue here. I have used three 5770's (similar performance to 460) and none had issues with medium with no AA/HBAO only 16x AF

nikko

BF3 needs 4GB system memory alone. WIN7 clean 1GB + firewalls antivirus and stuff ++more GB

WIN7 aero theme eats 100+MB of video ram, and the game 1000MB on HIGH preset and 1600x900 resolution, the higher the more..., so the card with 750MB will have remaining 350MB of textures loaded in the SYStem memory instead and therefore some will be offloaded to the PAgefile.sys constantly, therefore the stuttering is imminent

You should add more more ram 6GB++, use the LOW or NORMAL preset in the game settings and probably disable the PAgefile.sys to avoid offloading of data to HDD, and avoid textures in the system RAM. And use the windows classic theme with only 55MB usage. frees 50MB compared to aero. ANd close all pages opened in web browser, except the battlelog if you need. browser eats video ram 200+MB depending on content. You cant have 20++ tabs opened and not have stuttering in that case.