• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

OCZ Technology Group, Inc. Reports Fiscal 2013 First Quarter Results

OCZ Technology Group, Inc., a leading provider of high-performance solid-state drives (SSDs) for computing devices and systems, reports its first quarter (Q1'13) results which ended on May 31, 2012.

Financial Highlights

● Net revenue in Q1'13 was a record $113.6 million, and increased 54% compared with net revenue of $73.8 million reported in Q1'12.
● Q1'13 SSD revenue reached a record $106.5 million; an increase of 54% compared with Q1'12 SSD revenue of $69.1 million.
● Gross margin in Q1'13 25.0% compared with 20.0% in Q1'12
● Net loss for Q1'13 was $6.3 million or $0.09 loss per share compared with a net loss of $9.1 million or $0.20 loss per share in Q1'12.
● Achieved Record Bookings in Q1'13.
● Non-GAAP gross margin was 25.2% compared with 20.0% in Q1'12.
● Non-GAAP net loss for Q1'13 was $11.5 million or $0.17 loss per share as compared with a non-GAAP net profit for Q1'12 of $0.5 million or $0.01 per share.

"We are again pleased to report record revenue for the quarter as demand for our SSDs has been fueled by new product introductions. We continue to gain traction with our SAN replacement products and expect these products to begin to ramp in the third quarter," said Ryan Petersen, CEO of OCZ Technology. "During our first fiscal quarter we successfully launched our next generation Indilinx Everest 2 controller platform and introduced the next generation of Agility and Vertex series SSDs based on this platform."

"During the quarter, we achieved record bookings of nearly $140 million reflecting increased order activity associated with the transition to our new generation Everest 2 based Vertex 4 and Agility 4 product lines introduced during the quarter. As a point of reference, during the quarter we shipped over 100,000 units of these new Everest 2 based products with gross margins of over 30%," added Petersen. "We believe our ongoing investments in technology and sales and marketing provide a clear strategic advantage as we bring innovative SSD products to the market."

Recent Business Highlights

● Z-Drive R4 PCI Express (PCIe) SSD series has achieved VMware Ready status. This designation indicates that after a detailed validation process, Z-Drive R4 PCIe SSDs achieved VMware's highest level of endorsement. This qualification signifies to customers that the drives have met specific VMware integration and interoperability standards and work effectively with the VMware infrastructure.

● Following the release of Vertex 4 in April, we late in the quarter unveiled our new Agility 4 SSD series that delivers an ideal balance of 6 Gbps SATA III interface speed, exceptional input/output operations per second (IOPS) performance, and enterprise-grade endurance and reliability all in SSD targeted at cost sensitive applications.

● OCZ SAS-based Talos 2 SSDs were showcased during Microsoft's North American TechEd (technology education) conferences. With this partnership, TechEd participants got a firsthand look at the upcoming Windows Server 2012 and how it delivers the enterprise-class storage capabilities that IT departments require. OCZ Talos 2 SSDs are also featured in a permanent display at the Microsoft Technology Center in New York City.

● At Computex 2012 in Taiwan, OCZ showcased its newest PCI Express (PCIe) SAN acceleration and replacement solutions, and unveiled the Intrepid 3 enterprise-class SATA III SSD Series based on the Everest 2 architecture. Live demos included the current industry-leading Z-Drive R4 CloudServ PCIe SSD that delivers over one million IOPS, and a first look at the highly anticipated Z-Drive R5 Series based on the co-developed OCZ-Marvell Kilimanjaro platform that raises the bar in performance, reliability, and endurance. OCZ also showcased the VXL Storage Accelerator software that enables large scale deployment of a virtualized environment for businesses to eliminate the need for costly tier-1 SANs in a wide range of enterprise IT infrastructures.

Additional Financial Information

To help investors better understand OCZ's historical revenue trends, including geographic revenue by delivery location and revenue by product groups, additional revenue information is shown in the chart below. In addition, the Company has provided an additional market breakout to illustrate our "SAN replacement"products, which are PCIe-based storage solutions targeted at replacing or accelerating performance in Storage Area Networks.

Quarterly net revenue by product groups and major geographic area by delivery location ($000)'s (Unaudited)

The chart below is a summary comparison of GAAP to Non-GAAP measures. Please refer to the following sections below on the calculation and explanation of Non-GAAP financial measures.

Business Outlook and Commentary:

● OCZ expects net revenue for its second fiscal quarter ending August 31, 2012 (Q2'13), to be in the range of $130 to $140 million.

● OCZ expects net revenue for its fiscal year ending February 28, 2013 (FY'13) to be in the range of $630 to $700 million. This represents a growth rate of approximately 80% at the midpoint; we expect, based on historical trends, revenue to be weighted to the second half of the year, with approximately 60% to 65% of revenue to occur in the second half of the year.

● Non-GAAP gross margins are expected to increase in Q213 and to exit the year in excess of 30%, with typical sequential gross margin increases of 100 to 250 basis points per quarter throughout the fiscal year, subject to changes in product mix as the SSD landscape continues to evolve.

● OCZ expects non-GAAP operating expenses for Q2'13, to be in the range of $38 to $41 million with expenses exiting the year at between $43 and $47 million per quarter, as OCZ continues to invest in its ongoing growth objectives.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name BitFenix Phenom Mini-ITX Case White
Processor AMD 5950x
Motherboard Asus Impact x570
Cooling 2 x MO-RA3 PRO with 8 x Silverstone AP183 fans
Memory G SKILL
Video Card(s) NVIDIA RTX 4090 FE
Storage Samsung 980
Display(s) Acer 38” Ultrawide & LG EVO OLED 55”
Case BitFenix Phenom Mini-ITX Case White
Audio Device(s) RME ADI-2 FS (AKM)
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME TX-1000W Titanium
Mouse Logitech G PRO X Superlight
Keyboard Wooting 60HE with upgraded KBDfans Tofu60 Aluminum 60% Case Black
Software Windows 10 x64
Yeah and out of a billion ssd sold only (1) person got there REBATE check for $20.00 :roll:

vrdublu

Processor i7 3930K @ 4.2Ghz 1.26V :)
Motherboard Asus Sabertooth X79
Cooling WC Galore
Memory 16Gb Kingston 2133
Video Card(s) Dual GTX 580 SLI Watercooled
Storage OCZ Vertex 3 SSD/Raid 0 + 2x WD Black 640/Raid 0
Display(s) Asus 27" @ 1920 x 1080
Case Corsair 800D
Audio Device(s) On Board High Def. Sennheiser PC360
Power Supply Seasonic 850W
Software W7 Ultimate 64 Bit
^^^^Truer words have never been spoken^^^^^^^^^^^

This is why I will never buy OCZ products again, they have scammed their way to the top.

1rkrage

I got all rebates for my 3 OCZ ssd drives. They took very long to do so though. like filed in March, got in June slow.

fwiw. Their drives are really good for the price to me. I haven't had the bsod or crashes with mine like the other sandforce issues. :)

I got all rebates for my 3 OCZ ssd drives.
That makes two of us.

I haven't had the bsod or crashes with mine like the other sandforce issues. :)
My Vertex 1 and Vertex 2 SSDs have been great but my sandforce Vertex 3 has been a nightmare. I finally got annoyed with it enough to file an RMA, should be getting my replacement by the end of this week. Crosses fingers that the drive doesn't BSOD and can powerup correctly without having to restart 20 times before POST detects the drive. What was interesting though, other than the bootup issue, linux had absolutely no issues with the drive, unlike Windows did.