• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Computer routers face hijack risk:

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
something doesnt add up. most people have their routers actually setup as gateways. how do these bad hackers get the gateway to redirect to a fake site when its the NIC in the PC that is making the call to the IP address?

Shyska

Processor AMD Athlon64 3000+ Venice @2.5GHz
Motherboard Asus A8N-E :(this board limits my cpu overclock ):
Cooling CPU box, GPU Zalman VF700-Cu
Memory 2x512MB PC3200 @227MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire X850XT 256MB PCI-E @ 605/618
Storage 40GB & 120GB Maxtors
Power Supply Generic 400W
Software Windows XP Pro SP2 | Debian GNU/Linux <sarge>
what do you think a gateway is? :laugh:

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix

Shyska

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gateway#Computer_Terminology

* Gateway, in networking technology, is a node that serves as an entrance to another network, and vice-versa. This is, in fact, an earlier name for Routers and both actually focus on the same concept - that is, hardware or software that routes (and filters) data coming through it. This retronym, however, now describes the same hardware or software technology that are mostly implemented in corporate enterprises that not only does routing and filtering of data, but also can include added routing, proxy functionality, as well as being advanced as to have Antivirus software scanning and filtering capabilities.

in short - a gateway is always a router.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gateway#Computer_Terminology

* Gateway, in networking technology, is a node that serves as an entrance to another network, and vice-versa. This is, in fact, an earlier name for Routers and both actually focus on the same concept - that is, hardware or software that routes (and filters) data coming through it. This retronym, however, now describes the same hardware or software technology that are mostly implemented in corporate enterprises that not only does routing and filtering of data, but also can include added routing, proxy functionality, as well as being advanced as to have Antivirus software scanning and filtering capabilities.

in short - a gateway is always a router.

yes i know what a gateway is and i know the difference from a router. i want to know how they are able to acess the 'router' when it is in gateway mode.

Shyska

i want to know how they are able to acess the 'router' when it is in gateway mode.
Getting access to router acting as router or router acting as a gateway is the same (there might be exceptions, ofc).

But i think i got what you want to say - that your PC's have static DNS server adresses. In that case hijacking router's DNS settings wouldn't wield any results.

Alec§taar

Someone who's going to find NewTekie1 and teach hi
Processor DualCore AMD Athlon 64x2 4800+ (o/c 2801mhz STABLE (Ketxxx, POGE, Tatty One, ME))
Motherboard ASUS A8N-SLI Premium (PCIe x16, x4, x1)
Cooling PhaseChange Coolermaster CM754/939 (fan/heatsink), Thermalright heatspreaders + fan built on (RAM)
Memory 512mb PC-3200 DDR400 (set DDR-33 for o/c) by Corsair (matched pair, 2x256mb) 200.1/200mhz
Video Card(s) BFG GeForce 7900 GTX OC 512mb GDDR3 ram (o/c manually to 686 core/865 memory) - PhaseChange cooled
Storage Dual "Raptor X" 16mb 10krpm/RAID 0 Promise EX8350 x4 PCIe 128mb & Intel IO chip/CENATEK RocketDrive
Display(s) SONY 19" Trinitron MultiScan 400ps 1600x1200 75hz refresh 32-bit color
Case Antec Super-LanBoy (aluminum baby-tower w/ lower front & upper rear cooling exhaust fans)
Audio Device(s) RealTek AC97 onboard mobo stereo sound (Altec Lansing ACS-45 speakers - 10 yrs. still running!)
Power Supply Antec 500w ATX 2.0 "SmartPower" powersupply
Software Windows Server 2003 SP #1 fully patched, & massively tuned/tweaked to-the-max (plus latest drivers)
A WORKAROUND & SPEEDUP + SECURITY method within: Take a read...

But i think i got what you want to say - that your PC's have static DNS server adresses. In that case hijacking router's DNS settings wouldn't wield any results.

I can, for certain, tell you there is a sort of "protective & yet performance adding workaround" for not being able to access your DNS (domain name servers) for URL -> IP Address resolutions...

It's one that gains you added SPEED & SECURITY, right here & I use it, & now many others do on these forums & like it... take a read:

Why use an ADBANNER BLOCKING HOSTS file? Here is why:

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=25937

:)

* It works, as far as if you can't get a valid DNS resolution for URL's you go to as your 'favorite sites', & get hijacked this way (turning off javascript will help too, because it's probably how this hijack works largely & why I've been turning it off for years in my browsers on the public internet)?

This 'blows you by that'...

(& that is just a 'side-effect' of its primary purpose really, which is the secure you online against malware payload bearing adbanners, & to speed you up for the ISP/BSP linetime access YOU PAY FOR, by not loading adbanners period, & to speed up access to your fav. sites IF you choose to make it active for that (I don't ship it THAT way, that part you have to make active yourself, because your fav. sites are not the ones I go to possibly, in my examples list in the file)).

Besides, even protecting YOURSELF & YOUR ROUTER, if you depend on remote DNS servers? Might not always be the 'end all do all' because the ROOT DNS SERVERS ARE UNDER ATTACK (usually are, all 13), see here:

DNS Root Server under attack:

http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/02/06/2238225

My methods also helps to alleviate THAT problem as well, to fav. sites you go to, should you choose to make that part of the file I put out here, active, by yourself doing it & leveraging that feature in it.

APK

P.S.=> Enjoy... it works! See others' estimations of it (around 15-20 others here by now) in the thread, & judge for yourselves.

ALL I know is, for this particular thing? Heck, who cares if my DNS "goes down" or "gets hijacked"?? I am NOT using it for my favorite sites list I put into this file... I get to them anyhow, & to their RIGHT IP Address, no DNS required... & faster/safer, period... apk