• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 8 a Catastrophe, Want Linux to Thrive: Gabe Newell

Do you agree with Gabe?

• Yes

Votes: 88 75.9%
  • No

Votes: 28 24.1%

• Total voters

Wrigleyvillain

PTFO or GTFO
System Name DarkStar
Processor i5 3570K 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asrock Z77 Extreme 3
Cooling Apogee HD White/XSPC Razer blocks
Memory 8GB Samsung Green 1600
Video Card(s) 2 x GTX 670 4GB
Storage 2 x 120GB Samsung 830
Display(s) 27" QNIX
Case Enthoo Pro
Power Supply Seasonic Platinum 760
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard Ducky Pro MX Black
Software Windows 8.1 x64
Of course market share concern (and perhaps Steam box too) is a part of this but Gaben and Valve have never come across as greedy in any way. It's easier when you have no shareholders you must please, but still....

While I agree with Kurgan re the new UI it's still funny to hear people say it looks pre-schooly or "like a kid made it" cause thats exactly what people said about Windows XP at first. Though, yeah, this is on a whole different level, so to speak.

And as for a "bad" Valve game...I don't know...remember Ricochet?

gabe just fears more people going into the distro business, esp in RT windows 8 where it's unlikely "indie" devs will be willing to choose steam over the default windows store. Yeah steam is so great, it doesn't even have the ability to throttle download traffic so you can watch movies and share your Internet with your roommates, instead you're forced to pause dl's and updates to when it's convenient like when you're asleep.

He wants linux for better profit margins, but anyone who thinks windows is hurting gaming industry obviously never heard of directx or the direct X-box and xbox 360.

Outside of that people just have to realize that metro style was thought up based on activity data they gathered, and how little people actually use the start button in windows 7 instead they pin programs most of the time so if you just make the start bar the size of the desktop and pin everything in the center you get metro. Add a few capability things to replace things like notification icons and you're solid.

System Name AM5
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard Asrock X670E Taichi
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 64 Gb - XMP1 Profile
Video Card(s) AMD Reference 7900 XTX 24 Gb
Storage Samsung Gen 4 980 1 TB / Samsung 8TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung 34" 240hz 4K
Case Fractal Define R7
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME PX-1300, 1300W 80+ Platinum, Full Modular
He wants linux for better profit margins, but anyone who thinks windows is hurting gaming industry obviously never heard of directx or the direct X-box and xbox 360.

How is DirectX helping gamers in any sense? DirectX is locking gamers in to Windows. This is similar in nature to how ActiveX locks users in to IE.

DirectX makes it easy to port from PC to Xbox 360 and vise versa, but it would be no different if it were OpenGL.

Microsoft doesn't support OpenGL because it is open and they don't want their customers and OEMs jumping ship every time the market share of another company's OS begins to rise.

Processor 7800x3d
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Auros Elite AX
Cooling Custom Water
Memory GSKILL 2x16gb 6000mhz Cas 30 with custom timings
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6750 XT MECH 2X 12G OC
Storage Adata SX8200 1tb with Windows, Samsung 990 Pro 2tb with games
Display(s) HP Omen 27q QHD 165hz
Case ThermalTake P3
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex Titanium
Software Windows 11 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores CB23: 1811 / 19424 CB24: 1136 / 7687
When I saw this my first thought was that... well... I was first. Doesn't matter though. Decentralized gaming I hope is the future

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit
Windows 8 isn't that bad. I think its blown up to be a bigger fail then it really will be. I think that right away it will not be widely adopted on the desktop environment, but in terms of Tablets and Phones, it is a pretty amazing OS.

Syborfical

Windows * brings SFA to the PC platform

IMO the default GUI is a retarded backwards step.
In vista and 7 aero is the first thing I turn off. I just like a win95 style start bar and its been that way since win 95.

Windows Vista was a steaming Pile.
Windows 7 was an epic improvement.

What does windows 8 bring to the table?...

Processor 7800x3d
Cooling Custom Water
Case ThermalTake P3
Windows * brings SFA to the PC platform

IMO the default GUI is a retarded backwards step.
In vista and 7 aero is the first thing I turn off. I just like a win95 style start bar and its been that way since win 95.

Windows Vista was a steaming Pile.
Windows 7 was an epic improvement.

What does windows 8 bring to the table?...

I didn't have a problem with vista. I liked 7 a lot. 8 does bring a lot to the table. Better security, less resources used, better/faster file transfer system. Really the core of windows 8 is much better. Its the fluff that sucks. Vista/7 fluff could be turned off easily with out changing a thing on usability of the system.

I for one am sticking to 7.

System Name AM5
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard Asrock X670E Taichi
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 64 Gb - XMP1 Profile
Video Card(s) AMD Reference 7900 XTX 24 Gb
Storage Samsung Gen 4 980 1 TB / Samsung 8TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung 34" 240hz 4K
Case Fractal Define R7
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME PX-1300, 1300W 80+ Platinum, Full Modular
but in terms of Tablets and Phones, it is a pretty amazing OS.

That is debatable.

Microsoft is claiming their "Surface" tablet is not to compete with their OEM vendors, but merely a design that others should follow. Thus your experience is going to based on your hardware running the software. Furthermore, the adoption rate of Windows 8 tablets will be severely hindered due to Apple and Google releasing $200 tablets. Microsoft won't even be able to sell the Windows RT version at that price. The tablet market is getting bloated (at high and low price ranges) and Microsoft is late to the game yet again.

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Processor Intel 8700K @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32 GB Crucial Ballistix 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Display(s) Dell U2412M + Samsung TA350
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Samson Meteor Mic / Generic 2.1 / KRK KNS 6400 headset
Power Supply Zalman EBT-1000
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
who cares really i dislike Win 8, love the performance tweaks hate the GUI, they locked out the ability to switch back to the old Win 7 interface that was a big F U to me,

as for Games Linux actually stands a chance lets take a quick look

what do most mobile computing devices use? Open GL ES 1.0 and ES 2.0
that means Tablets, Smartphones, ARM based devices all use Open GL,

Nintendo Wii, Wii U are Open GL
Playstation 3 is Open GL
Playstation 4 or W.e is Open GL

Id Tech Game Engine = Open GL
Unreal Engine supports Open GL
Source Engine supports Open GL
Unigen Engine supports Open GL
Most professional Applications use Open GL

Was talking with Mussels about this earlier,

PS3 Open GL ES 2.0 or in reality Sonys bastardised version has Shader Model 2.0 like effects, and abilities and we can see what a PS3 can put out examples Metal Gear Solid, Uncharted, Killzone etc

Valve moving to Linux is probably more related to Steam Box or something similar but effectively there is 0 reason for Linux to not have support for games, as it stands Open GL 4.1 allows for Open GL ES 2.0 to work together aka they are compatible finally Open GL ES 2.0 came out in 2007 as a standard, it wasnt untill Open GL 4.1 came about that Desktop users could run Open GL ES 2.0 apps, hilariously enough AMD GPUs support Open GL ES 2.0 as is,

This means todays desktop GPUs with Open GL 4.1 support could in theory run PS3 ports etc, and AMD already having Open GL ES 2.0 could give them an edge in support. This kinda gives the AMD / Valve combo a bit of an upside well sort of AMD Open GL support is spotty at best in professional apps altho game support seems to be fine, but it depends on what your looking at. Regardless Valve has the software side covered, AMD looks to be along with Dell's Alienware brand as hardware / oem support, now add in an unrestricted OS with no limitation or cost for use.

In terms of the way things are looking PS3 / PS4 to linux ports are possible much like Xbox 360 to PC was, as it stands any Mac compatible game should be easily ported to linux as well.

Examples of Mac games that should be easy to port to Linux

Left 4 Dead 2
Civilization V
Counter Strike
Amnesia The Dark Descent
Star Wars The Force Unleashed
Crusader Kings II
Grand Thef Auto Vice City
Grand Theft Auto San Andreas
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic
Trine 2
Trine
Half Life 2
Assassins Creed Brotherhood
Assassins Creed II
The Witcher
Killing Floor
The Darkness II
Driver San Francisco
Dear Esther
Torchlight
Civilization IV
Blades of Time
Serious Sam 3 BFE
Tom Clancy Splinter Cell Conviction
RUSE
Two Worlds II
Duke Nukem Forever

385 games that are Mac Compatible,

thats 385 games that could quickly be ported over, add in Open GL's usage in the mobile market is extreme well you can start to see the picture.

Now add in the fact that Valve is potentially worth MORE than AMD at this point (supposedly valued around $3 Billion), it doesnt seem all that far fetched that with AMD as one of their premier partners Dell as an OEM, that they had this planned. Valve has been making strategic partnerships for some time, so steam box could be a reality altho less an actually system and more an Ideal as it were.

as it stands a Linux based gaming system means free OS, free OS means $100 towards better parts in theory raising the minimum spec builds because of OS cost being taken out.

Overall Gabe does have issues expressing himself but should he succeed i would gladly switch to Linux for gaming, Open GL or Direct X matters not to me both can achieve the same graphics fidelity, and in fact Open GL has the greater possible audience as of Open GL ES 2.0 and Open GL 4.1. Desktops both Mac, Linux, Windows support Open GL, iPhone, iPad, other tablets ARM based devices Windows RT all make use of Open GL ES 1.0 2.0 etc etc, with combined functionality and almost ALL of todays game engines supporting Open GL is some form, its really not that hard to see what Gabe is pushing for, support for most of it is already there it just requires a push.

Last edited:
System Name Server
Processor AMD Phenom 9950BE @ 3.3Ghz
Motherboard ASUS M3A78-EM+
Cooling Apogee GT Waterblock on Thermaltake Rhythm
Memory CRUCIAL Ballistix Tracer PC2-6400 4X1GB
Video Card(s) ASUS EN9600GT Silent
Storage OCZ Vertex2 60GB SSD / 3X 1TB WD Caviar Green
Display(s) 2X APPLE CINEMA DISPLAY 20"
Case Thermaltake LANBOX Lite VF6000BWS
Power Supply CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W
Software WINDOWS 7 x64 Ultimate
"mister fat-ass" also created platform that kept PC gaming going and created huge market niche for indi developers. And now he is trying to make Linux more popular. Not to mention creating one of the best company to work for (at least in gaming industry), that is run for innovation and then for profit. Have you ever played bad Valve game???

So how about all of you Mac and Windows fan boys go back to your fanboying forums and live happily in your bobbles.

AGREED! I've used/built PCs for the last 22 years and to me Valve has been the one reason for being enthusiastic about the platform. Originally through their AWESOME games and more recently through their web store they've made the PC the great gaming/developing platform that it is today.

In my opinion, Microsoft is somewhat blind to all of this! They showed a complete disregard for PC Gamers when they released the XBOX and that showed when many years later they halfheartedly ported Halo to the PC. Now they are trying to copy Apple and Google by releasing their own store. In their manic bloodthirsty pursuit for control (money) they are hurting their own platform!

As far as Linux is concerned, I like it!! But it doesn't seem to like my nvidia sli setup... :ohwell:

System Name Server
Processor AMD Phenom 9950BE @ 3.3Ghz
Motherboard ASUS M3A78-EM+
Cooling Apogee GT Waterblock on Thermaltake Rhythm
Memory CRUCIAL Ballistix Tracer PC2-6400 4X1GB
Video Card(s) ASUS EN9600GT Silent
Storage OCZ Vertex2 60GB SSD / 3X 1TB WD Caviar Green
Display(s) 2X APPLE CINEMA DISPLAY 20"
Case Thermaltake LANBOX Lite VF6000BWS
Power Supply CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W
Software WINDOWS 7 x64 Ultimate
who cares really i dislike Win 8, love the performance tweaks hate the GUI, they locked out the ability to switch back to the old Win 7 interface that was a big F U to me,

as for Games Linux actually stands a chance lets take a quick look

what do most mobile computing devices use? Open GL ES 1.0 and ES 2.0
that means Tablets, Smartphones, ARM based devices all use Open GL,

Nintendo Wii, Wii U are Open GL
Playstation 3 is Open GL
Playstation 4 or W.e is Open GL

Id Tech Game Engine = Open GL
Unreal Engine supports Open GL
Source Engine supports Open GL
Unigen Engine supports Open GL
Most professional Applications use Open GL

Was talking with Mussels about this earlier,

PS3 Open GL ES 2.0 or in reality Sonys bastardised version has Shader Model 2.0 like effects, and abilities and we can see what a PS3 can put out examples Metal Gear Solid, Uncharted, Killzone etc

Valve moving to Linux is probably more related to Steam Box or something similar but effectively there is 0 reason for Linux to not have support for games, as it stands Open GL 4.1 allows for Open GL ES 2.0 to work together aka they are compatible finally Open GL ES 2.0 came out in 2007 as a standard, it wasnt untill Open GL 4.1 came about that Desktop users could run Open GL ES 2.0 apps, hilariously enough AMD GPUs support Open GL ES 2.0 as is,

This means todays desktop GPUs with Open GL 4.1 support could in theory run PS3 ports etc, and AMD already having Open GL ES 2.0 could give them an edge in support. This kinda gives the AMD / Valve combo a bit of an upside well sort of AMD Open GL support is spotty at best in professional apps altho game support seems to be fine, but it depends on what your looking at. Regardless Valve has the software side covered, AMD looks to be along with Dell's Alienware brand as hardware / oem support, now add in an unrestricted OS with no limitation or cost for use.

In terms of the way things are looking PS3 / PS4 to linux ports are possible much like Xbox 360 to PC was, as it stands any Mac compatible game should be easily ported to linux as well.

Examples of Mac games that should be easy to port to Linux

Left 4 Dead 2
Civilization V
Counter Strike
Amnesia The Dark Descent
Star Wars The Force Unleashed
Crusader Kings II
Grand Thef Auto Vice City
Grand Theft Auto San Andreas
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic
Trine 2
Trine
Half Life 2
Assassins Creed Brotherhood
Assassins Creed II
The Witcher
Killing Floor
The Darkness II
Driver San Francisco
Dear Esther
Torchlight
Civilization IV
Blades of Time
Serious Sam 3 BFE
Tom Clancy Splinter Cell Conviction
RUSE
Two Worlds II
Duke Nukem Forever

385 games that are Mac Compatible,

thats 385 games that could quickly be ported over, add in Open GL's usage in the mobile market is extreme well you can start to see the picture.

Now add in the fact that Valve is potentially worth MORE than AMD at this point (supposedly valued around $3 Billion), it doesnt seem all that far fetched that with AMD as one of their premier partners Dell as an OEM, that they had this planned. Valve has been making strategic partnerships for some time, so steam box could be a reality altho less an actually system and more an Ideal as it were.

as it stands a Linux based gaming system means free OS, free OS means $100 towards better parts in theory raising the minimum spec builds because of OS cost being taken out.

Overall Gabe does have issues expressing himself but should he succeed i would gladly switch to Linux for gaming, Open GL or Direct X matters not to me both can achieve the same graphics fidelity, and in fact Open GL has the greater possible audience as of Open GL ES 2.0 and Open GL 4.1. Desktops both Mac, Linux, Windows support Open GL, iPhone, iPad, other tablets ARM based devices Windows RT all make use of Open GL ES 1.0 2.0 etc etc, with combined functionality and almost ALL of todays game engines supporting Open GL is some form, its really not that hard to see what Gabe is pushing for, support for most of it is already there it just requires a push.

You seem to be confusing GRAPHIC ENGINES to GAME DEVELOPMENT ENGINES. openGL is only a graphics API and not an SDK by itself. So NO! porting games from RISC (PPC/ARM) to SISC and vise versa is still going to take a lot of effort from developers...

I know of an engine called UNITY 3D that supposedly does it but the outcome is usually far from optimal.

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Cooling Custom Water
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
uh Unreal Engine, its base code is mainly unchanged between platform, doesnt matter if its PPC or X86 etc, it still runs Open GL regardless,

so no im not confusing anything

the GAME engine is Id tech 5 for example
Call of Duty is running on a modified Id Tech 3,
Source Engine runs on a modified Id Tech 3 i believe if i remember right
Unreal Engine has to have support for Open GL and both code paths again PS3 / 360, Mac OS X / Windows

so no in reality the Engine thats take the basic model and texture information and display it while handling physics AI as well have the code paths already for Direct X and Open GL, otherwise you wouldnt see the games on all systems,

I know the difference in API as well,

Simple fact IS

Open GL ES 2.0 is the standard for ARM and Mobile Devices,
Open GL ES 1.0 and 2.0 were bastardised in the use of the PS3,
Open GL ES 1.0 and 2.0 from what i remember are used in the Wii and Wii U

only one console uses Direct X, yes current consoles are Power PC based, but then if its so different why do essentially Xbox code run perfectly fine on PC, anyone remember Dead Island where the 360 version was essentially used as the PC version and it got pulled, but worked just fine?

doesnt matter much all these code paths are there for the most part, It has to be, otherwise the engines couldnt be used, ARM is not PPC, PPC is not x86 but Unreal Engine works across all without issue same goes for many other game engines.

Essentially these APIs get called various names but essentially

Wii, Wii U, PS3, PS4, ARM, all make use of Open GL in some form or another, do to Open GL ES 2.0 and 4.1 offering programmable pipeline they can be customized, but in the end

OpenGL 4.1

Released on 26 July 2010[32]
Supported Cards: Nvidia GeForce 400 series, Nvidia GeForce 500 series, ATI Radeon HD 5000 series, AMD Radeon HD 6000 Series, AMD Radeon HD 7000 Series

This new version adds these additional features to the specification, many of which help bring it in line with those in Direct3D 11:
OpenGL Shading language (GLSL) 4.1
Full compatibility with OpenGL for Embedded Systems (OpenGL ES) 2.0 APIs
Reduced shaders compilation times with the ability to query and load a binary for shader program objects
The ability to bind programs individually to the five programmable stages (Vertex, Tessellation Control, Tessellation Evaluation, Geometry, and Fragment)
Improvements to the general 64-bit floating point supported added in OpenGL 4.0 (64-bit floating-point component input for vertex shader)

Essentially this means as of Open GL 4.1 support for Open GL ES 2.0 based APIs is possible on desktops Open GL is no on version 4.2 which supports Tessellation etc,

the API essentially now offers broader support across nearly every possible platform in one way or another

In terms of abilities Open GL ES 2.0 = Open GL 2.0
They were seperate however for a great deal of time, the newest revision change this, essentially their are many off shoots but its not unlike Direct X in terms of 9, 10 or 11 where different functionalities exist for different hardware. Considering again most GAME ENGINES have support for Open GL due to the other platforms its not that much different, and considering the Mac OSX game support is continuing to grow and makes use of the same API and functions Linux does, its not that big a stretch, the major issue is kernel support etc among various Linux builds which is why Valve is sticking to one distro right now and it just so happens to be the most popular Distro in use by consumers.

In reality Open GL is actually easier to code for, HOWEVER its harder for Hardware vendors to write a good performing DRIVER for it,

Essentially both APIs can accomplish the same thing each offers a different advantage.

Last edited:

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Cooling Custom Water
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
yea mailman, if a Dice game is running on a PS3, same with Call of Duty the engine still has Open GL functionality, it has to otherwise well the games wouldnt work on that console :roll:

the PS3's proprietary API uses an Open GL wrapper, thus uses Open GL calls to render out the image, essentially its a bastardized version of Open GL,

its irrelevent about industry standard because it IS industry standard, just not on PC,

if the games on Wii U, and PS3, it uses Open GL if its on Xbox of w.e kind its Direct X,

granted we can see the shortcomings Open GL has granted carmack blamed driver problems on AMD / Nvidia for RAGE's bad PC support but, thats more do to the fact Open GL is again harder for hardware vendors to write drivers for, this is why it has a bigger console share, its 1 set of hardware write a driver and then leave it alone, everyone uses that base config, if that can be ironed out then there is no reason Open GL cant be used,

It is true DX11 effects would have to be recoded from scratch since write now they are not in parity in terms of code in game engines, aka because its a PC only feature currently that much is true.

so no game engines except Unigine Engine, has Open GL features similar to Direct X 11,

that said Unreal, Id Tech, Source are all capable of DX9 / 10 functionality in Open GL if need be.

Last edited:

TheMailMan78

Big Member
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
yea mailman, if a Dice game is running on a PS3, same with Call of Duty the engine still has Open GL functionality, it has to otherwise well the games wouldnt work on that console :roll:
Yeah and the quality of those graphics is impeccable :rolleyes:. NVIDIA and MS dump a ton of cash into development houses. Until that stops DX is gonna have the best graphics and best support.

T4C Fantasy

CPU & GPU DB Maintainer
Staff member
System Name Whaaaat Kiiiiiiid!
Processor Intel Core i9-12900K @ Default
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 AORUS Elite AX
Cooling Corsair H150i AIO Cooler
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA @ Default
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512GB + Crucial MX500 2TB x3 + Crucial MX500 4TB + Samsung 980 PRO 1TB
Display(s) 27" LG 27MU67-B 4K, + 27" Acer Predator XB271HU 1440P
Case Thermaltake Core X9 Snow
Audio Device(s) Logitech G935 Headset
Power Supply SeaSonic Platinum 1050W Snow Silent
Mouse Logitech G903 Lightspeed
Keyboard Logitech G915
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores FFXV: 19329
Gabe is a noob if he thinks he can convert windows users to linux its laughable really

Processor 7800x3d
Cooling Custom Water
Case ThermalTake P3
Gabe is a noob if he thinks he can convert windows users to linux its laughable really

I would gladly go to linux if the games I played were there also. Most games I play right now could easily go to linux. Ns2, in my sig, wouldn't do it unless steam went to linux. Since steam is on linux, the will have a linux version.

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Cooling Custom Water
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
theres also the thing that Valve tends to sell you a game and it works on any platform its released on oh hye you bought Civ IV on Windows heres your Mac Version Free, oh hey you own all Valve titles heres your Mac version free oh you boughty PS3 version of Portal 2 heres your PC version lol. you get the idea should they move to Linux or get game develeopers to move to it, you see users gain games for that platform for nothing really.

Yeah and the quality of those graphics is impeccable :rolleyes:. NVIDIA and MS dump a ton of cash into development houses. Until that stops DX is gonna have the best graphics and best support.

very true mailman very very true, but are you gonna tell me Metal Gear Solid 4, Uncharted Drakes Fortune, dont look amazing using Open GL? lol it can be done, but i digress in terms of multi plat Open GL versions tend to be inferior, and it does all come down to money, but thats why its rather interesting to see AMD partnered with Valve, and them pushing for Linux, while also having contracts for all the next generation consoles, which should see Open GL again reach parity with Direct X once game engines are recoded to handle their Open GL implementations. never said it was going to be an overnight sensation, But its entirely possible that Valve can pull this off, The thing is getting it all in motion before next set of consoles hit.

But i digress Direct X is the mainstay, good examples where it proves to be superior,

Skyrim
Mass Effect Series (360 = 30fps PS3 = 20-22FPS)
to name a couple, so yea currently developers havent had much reason to utilize Open GL on WIndows PC, i mean hell when Dead Islan can screw up and run 360 code and still work it kinda shows you how similar it really is lol to PC in terms of the 360.

But with a move to Linux, third party titles from the PS3 / PS4 could be moved over to linux easier then say a 360 game or xbox next or w.e Microsoft wants to call it, its not really so much about API, Game Engine or support, its about Developers and what their return on investment will be, if they make a PC version do they make 1 good Windows version a mediocre Mac / Windows version or a less then adequate Mac / Linux / Windows version, essentially more platforms means more work, and while its possible it requires Valve to show Developers there is a market there that wants those titles, and will make the coding for it worth while. The interesting thing about that is once the coding is done, it becomes much much easier from then on its getting that initial investment of time and money spent on getting it working properlry that developers are gonna have issues with, and even then i think its less developers and more about Publishers and the we need you to pump out a game every year mentality.

Last edited:

TheMailMan78

Big Member
theres also the thing that Valve tends to sell you a game and it works on any platform its released on oh hye you bought Civ IV on Windows heres your Mac Version Free, oh hey you own all Valve titles heres your Mac version free oh you boughty PS3 version of Portal 2 heres your PC version lol. you get the idea should they move to Linux or get game develeopers to move to it, you see users gain games for that platform for nothing really.

The only reason Gabe said anything is to promote the Steambox. That's it. He see Windows 8 as a competitor to Steam even without the Steambox for that matter. MS is doing exactly what Apple has been doing for years yet Gabe was so proud to release Steam on OSX. Really? But MS is evil? Come on dude this is just marketing rhetoric.

very true mailman very very true, but are you gonna tell me Metal Gear Solid 4, Uncharted Drakes Fortune, dont look amazing using Open GL? lol it can be done, but i digress in terms of multi plat Open GL versions tend to be inferior, and it does all come down to money, but thats why its rather interesting to see AMD partnered with Valve, and them pushing for Linux, while also having contracts for all the next generation consoles, which should see Open GL again reach parity with Direct X once game engines are recoded to handle their Open GL implementations. never said it was going to be an overnight sensation, But its entirely possible that Valve can pull this off,
Oh sure because AMD is legendary in their awesome support for OpenGL.

T4C Fantasy

CPU & GPU DB Maintainer
Staff member
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512GB + Crucial MX500 2TB x3 + Crucial MX500 4TB + Samsung 980 PRO 1TB
Keyboard Logitech G915
Software Windows 11 Pro
I would gladly go to linux if the games I played were there also. Most games I play right now could easily go to linux. Ns2, in my sig, wouldn't do it unless steam went to linux. Since steam is on linux, the will have a linux version.

windows will always be the most popular *desktop* os... no need to fight it, stay on the good side.

windows has the most compatbility, linux is for mainly programmers it will NEVER be as user friendly as mac or windows... NEVER lol

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Cooling Custom Water
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
The only reason Gabe said anything is to promote the Steambox. That's it. He see Windows 8 as a competitor to Steam even without the Steambox for that matter. MS is doing exactly what Apple has been doing for years yet Gabe was so proud to release Steam on OSX. Really? But MS is evil? Come on dude this is just marketing rhetoric.

Oh sure because AMD is legendary in their awesome support for OpenGL.

again never said easy or over night also never said it WASNT marketing rhetoric, Valve sees and opportunity and like any business they will exploit it thats business 101.

Im just saying its possible to make it work on Linux and make it a viable gaming platform, and that its really not THAT hard to do so, its just like we both know it comes down to MONEY, and RETURN ON INVESTMENT, will developers go for it or not? Valve seems to think so, and considering Valve being private owned is now worth more than AMD, im willing to bet Valve will make money off this hand over fist in some way shape or form.

I dont care if they do, i think it would still be awesome to have the option to play games on Linux, which is just an install and go no dicking around with Wine lol. And i also agree its about Steambox

why wouldnt they push for Linux? its fucking FREE, slap Linux on Steambox you get a console with a functional OS and you didnt have to pay for the OS
we all know its a just a PC with a different name

so $500 Steambox (pulling the number out of my ass here) what looks better to Valve and developers

$500 for parts or $400 for Parts $100 for OS, in this situation Steambox with Linux offers more bang for buck hardware wise, this is just a really simple look at it however.

I dont expect this Linux Valve marriage of Awesome with Terrible AMD open GL support to go anywhere fast, but in a couple years time, it will have gained some traction.

T4C Fantasy

CPU & GPU DB Maintainer
Staff member
Keyboard Logitech G915
Software Windows 11 Pro
Fun Fact: Sinbad the comedian is a Mac User since his first appearance at MacWorld in 85

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFUwKJa0JbY <-- hilarious video for pc/mac users, i dont really like mac but i still love sinbad comedy so its ok haha

Processor 7800x3d
Cooling Custom Water
Case ThermalTake P3
windows will always be the most popular *desktop* os... no need to fight it, stay on the good side.

windows has the most compatbility, linux is for mainly programmers it will NEVER be as user friendly as mac or windows... NEVER lol
Since when are you omniscient? You can see the future and that windows will always be king. It will be replaced someday, not anytime soon, but someday. Everything does.

I like windows, I really do. But I could even be happy with a hackintosh. I don't have a favorite os, I just need something that works. The thing that I like about linux is that it is free, open, and does all the same things. Linux in my opinion can be just as good as windows. The only thing keeping me, and a lot of people, is the compatibility. What is stopping me from a total conversion is games and my laptops finger print scanner. Man I love that scanner. Great for when I just woke up and can't see my keyboard because my eyes are so blurry. I really hope gaming on linux gains momentum, even if I don't use it, I just like the ability to game on linux available.

When did you last try linux? Depending on which linux, it can be uber user friendly. If my grandmother, who happens to think google is the internet, can use linux mint without ever calling me for help... it is pretty darn user friendly.

T4C Fantasy

CPU & GPU DB Maintainer
Staff member
Keyboard Logitech G915
Software Windows 11 Pro
Since when are you omniscient? You can see the future and that windows will always be king. It will be replaced someday, not anytime soon, but someday. Everything does.

I like windows, I really do. But I could even be happy with a hackintosh. I don't have a favorite os, I just need something that works. The thing that I like about linux is that it is free, open, and does all the same things. Linux in my opinion can be just as good as windows. The only thing keeping me, and a lot of people, is the compatibility. What is stopping me from a total conversion is games and my laptops finger print scanner. Man I love that scanner. Great for when I just woke up and can't see my keyboard because my eyes are so blurry.

When did you last try linux? Depending on which linux, it can be uber user friendly. If my grandmother, who happens to think google is the internet, can use linux mint without ever calling me for help... it is pretty darn user friendly.

lol it doesnt matter what linux you use... windows will be more user friendly... extracting and executing files is MUCH simplier on windows than linux thats just a fact...

look noone can convert me to linux or mac.. ive been using windows since 2002 and mac from 1998-2001 got tired of the G3 freezing there is nothing a linux user can do that i cant for what i need to get done, and I'm! a programmer lol.. noone needs linux for any reason, i dont even use linux for my game server and web server, so really.. the hype over anything other than windows is trash and useless

Last edited:
System Name Thakk
Processor i7 6700k @ 4.5Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte G1 Z170N ITX
Cooling H55 AIO
Memory 32GB DDR4 3100 c16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX3080 Trinity
Storage Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD / Intel 250GB SSD / Samsung Pro 512 SSD / 3TB Seagate SV32
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 100hz IPS Gsync / HTC Vive
Case QBX
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150 > Creative Gigaworks T40 > AKG Q701
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Ducky Shine TKL MX Blue + Vortex PBT Doubleshots
Software Windows 10 64bit
Benchmark Scores http://www.3dmark.com/fs/12108888
Man.. Gabe Newell's facade looks so degraded nowadays.. compared to that corporate demeanor I saw back in 1999. Not a bad thing though XD.