• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

L4D2 Runs Faster on Linux than Windows

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 1600X
Motherboard AsRock X370 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H60 Liquid Cooling
Memory 16 GB CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 3000 Mhz (Running at 2933)
Video Card(s) EVGA FTW2 GTX 1070Ti
Storage 740GB of SSDs, 7 TB's of HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UD58P-B 27” IPS 4K
Case Phanteks Enthos Pro M
Audio Device(s) Integrated
Power Supply EVGA 750 P2
Mouse Mionix Naos 8200
Keyboard G Skill Ripjaws RGB Mechanical Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro
who really cares after 240 fps?

Morgoth

Fueled by Sapphire
System Name Wopr "War Operation Plan Response"
Processor 5900x ryzen 9 12 cores 24 threads
Motherboard aorus x570 pro
Cooling air (GPU Liquid graphene) rad outside case mounted 120mm 68mm thick
Memory kingston 32gb ddr4 3200mhz ecc 2x16gb
Video Card(s) sapphire RX 6950 xt Nitro+ 16gb
Storage 300gb hdd OS backup. Crucial 500gb ssd OS. 6tb raid 1 hdd. 1.8tb pci-e nytro warp drive LSI
Display(s) AOC display 1080p
Case SilverStone SST-CS380 V2
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair 850MX watt
Mouse corsair gaming mouse
Keyboard Microsoft brand
Software Windows 10 pro 64bit, Luxion Keyshot 7, fusion 360, steam
Benchmark Scores timespy 19 104
if valve released sdk source for linux ill jump to linux

• The only thing keeping you from Linux as your main OS is gaming? Really?
    So you're saying your fine with changing shells, writing scripts/misc code, compiling, and making your own installs for basic applications? You'd rather do that then double click an executable or drag an icon to an applications container? (OSX). My point again, the general consumer. Linux savvy people may be fine using Linux for everything, but the general user isn't. They need MS Office, Open Office & Libre Office won't cut it. They need Visual Studio, they need XCode, they can't compile code in python or c++ and have no desire to. They want to sit down, run an installer, and click play. It's the same reason why console gaming is far surpassing PC gaming... the general consumer prefers the console. Why? It's dummy proof.
  • L4D2 runs faster in linux than Windows, yeah, in crappy OpenGL. How about some screenshot comparisons between the two? How about we max all the graphic features in the Linux version and Windows version.... you'll see exactly why it runs faster in Linux, because it looks like garbage in comparison due to OpenGL limitations.

There is a HUGE reason why DirectX is the API developers choose to develop for. It's awesome and its native to Windows, which just happens to be THE best gaming OS.

Calm down and return to your cave, please. The future out there is not for you, man from the past.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
Calm down and return to your cave, please. The future out there is not for you, man from the past.

Linux is the future? :laugh: :roll:

Um you apparently are blind to market trends.

System Name dell beast
Processor dual Xeon x5675
Motherboard dell t7500
Cooling stock
Memory 48gb ecc ddr3
Video Card(s) PowerColor 7870 Myst 2gb
Storage 2tb hpe ssd
Display(s) asus 23.8" 1080p
Case t7500
Audio Device(s) XFI soundblaster
Power Supply 1200watt dell
Mouse logitech
Keyboard logitech
Software win10x64

• Windows 7 is awesome. It's great that 3DMark 06 (06?!) scores higher in Windows XP, it should, its from 2006 whereas Windows 7 is from 2009.

• The only thing keeping you from Linux as your main OS is gaming? Really?
    So you're saying your fine with changing shells, writing scripts/misc code, compiling, and making your own installs for basic applications? You'd rather do that then double click an executable or drag an icon to an applications container? (OSX). My point again, the general consumer. Linux savvy people may be fine using Linux for everything, but the general user isn't. They need MS Office, Open Office & Libre Office won't cut it. They need Visual Studio, they need XCode, they can't compile code in python or c++ and have no desire to. They want to sit down, run an installer, and click play. It's the same reason why console gaming is far surpassing PC gaming... the general consumer prefers the console. Why? It's dummy proof.
  • If you don't want a flashy GUI, want DX11+, and fast performance, you're answer is Windows 8. Like it or not, Windows 8 is where the future is for Windows. Many people hate it but really don't understand the purpose of it. It's not Windows 7, it doesn't have a Start menu, it WILL have Metro, and its Microsoft's future. Download the preview, give it a try, and in due time vendors will straggle along because they simply have to if they want to progress. Drivers will come, features will become useful, etc.
  • L4D2 runs faster in linux than Windows, yeah, in crappy OpenGL. How about some screenshot comparisons between the two? How about we max all the graphic features in the Linux version and Windows version.... you'll see exactly why it runs faster in Linux, because it looks like garbage in comparison due to OpenGL limitations.

There is a HUGE reason why DirectX is the API developers choose to develop for. It's awesome and its native to Windows, which just happens to be THE best gaming OS.

When Steam starts releasing more games and stats showing a significant % of Linux gamers (on Steam), only then will we really see vendor support. Nvidia will chime in and hopefully ATI will finally release a driver for Linux that doesn't seem like its from 1998. Then, and only then, will we see an increase in Linux gaming. Gaming devs follow money, pc gaming money belongs to Windows. Following that is graphics vendors, along with timely driver updates to support these new upcoming games. When Linux gets enough gaming market share, we will see some big advances. Steam is certainly the pioneer, they see a future in it. I however don't. OpenGL (even if it is a new version), is not DirectX. Game devs make most popular titles for DirectX and there is plenty of reasons why, one of them being the SDK's.

BazookaJoe: This isn't a direct bash on your post directly (or you directly), this is just my general thoughts on some of the points you brought up.

/end Thursday rant

have you used ubuntu in the last 5 years? you don't have to compile stuff, you can if you want to but their app store/repository is very easy to use, just search for what you want, either find a free one or pay for program, then click install, ubuntu does the rest. did you know that ubuntu has a GUI, its not all line command anymore

System Name Middleman
Processor i5-3570k @ 4.8Ghz
Motherboard ASUS P8Z77-V LX
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory Samsung 8GB 1600MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire 7870
Storage WD Caviar Black 1TB / OCZ Vertex 4 128GB
Case Cooler Master Haf XM
Audio Device(s) Integrated
Power Supply Corsair 800W
Software Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit
I think a lot of people saw this migration coming, as slow as it is. I would gladly embrace Linux 100% if not for the lack of mainstream game support.

Sigh...have to wait, I will and just stay happy with RHEL for now.

Anyone else have the thought, oh well that's nice, now get it to run that well on a range of graphics cards in opengl instead of just the one you tailored it to. This is just another case of trying to hype linux because they want to use android for steam box.

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Rog b450-f
Cooling Cooler master 120mm aio
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3x 3070
Storage 2tb intel nvme and 2tb generic ssd
Display(s) Generic dell 1080p overclocked to 75hz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Power Supply 650w of borderline fire hazard
Mouse Some wierd Chinese vertical mouse
Keyboard Generic mechanical keyboard
Software Windows ten
@Johnny latest version of opengl supports pretty advance features, you can get the same visual fidelity as directx.

Just Direct X is standard and obviously windows owns the majority pc market to it makes sense to use direct x.

( Latest opengl supports tessellation, advance dof etc all the features dx 11 has)

have you used ubuntu in the last 5 years? you don't have to compile stuff, you can if you want to but their app store/repository is very easy to use, just search for what you want, either find a free one or pay for program, then click install, ubuntu does the rest. did you know that ubuntu has a GUI, its not all line command anymore

Both of you are completely missing the point of my post.

I've used Ubuntu plenty over the passed five years and its nothing new. The new versions of gnome, kde, and the stupid Unity are nothing to write home about. None of that means I'll have an easier time playing games within Ubuntu.... correct? It's up to Steam, Nvidia, and AMD to release games and drivers that make it a smooth gaming experience. No one wants to run executables in Wine just to be able to play a game within Linux, even "fully" supported Wine'd games still take a 25%+ performance hit because its basically being emulated. If you want to play games on Linux, you want FULL OpenGL support (Like id and epic games provided with Quake series, ET, Unreal 1/2/Tournament2k3-2k4).

@ Filiprino: You must have confused my post with BazookaJoe's.
@ insane 360: I'm referring to all linux distributions in general, not just "user friendly" Ubuntu. There are many different flavors of linux that will run the Steam client (and games) the same way that Ubuntu can. Just because Ubuntu has a crap ton of software and repositories preloaded doesn't mean people are going to pick it over Arch (ESPECIALLY Arch), SuSE, Fedora, etc. Linux users like to customize and many hardcore uses don't even use Ubuntu, most hardcore users use Arch or Gentoo. So my point is still pretty valid.

@Johnny latest version of opengl supports pretty advance features, you can get the same visual fidelity as directx.

Just Direct X is standard and obviously windows owns the majority pc market to it makes sense to use direct x.

( Latest opengl supports tessellation, advance dof etc all the features dx 11 has)

Very true. But, no Valve games support tessellation and advance DoF, unless that is something they are going to re-do purely for OSX and Linux "ports".

Last edited:

TheMailMan78

Big Member
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Both of you are completely missing the point of my post.

@ Filiprino: You must have confused my post with BazookaJoe's.
@ insane 360: I'm referring to all linux distributions in general, not just "user friendly" Ubuntu. There are many different flavors of linux that will run the Steam client (and games) the same way that Ubuntu can. Just because Ubuntu has a crap ton of software and repositories preloaded doesn't mean people are going to pick it over Arch (ESPECIALLY Arch), SuSE, Fedora, etc. Linux users like to customize and many hardcore uses don't even use Ubuntu, most hardcore users use Arch or Gentoo. So my point is still pretty valid.

Ive been using Linux Mint this week. However I ended up uninstalling it because I honestly had no idea what I was doing and it became a security risk to the rest of my network.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
Requote my post mailman :D
Done. I enjoyed playing with Linux but I gotta say its not for the faint hearted. Also I noticed some very elitist attitudes on the Linux forums. Honestly I don't see Linux going mainstream because the "community" is the developer and the developer doesn't seem to like noobs. I mean a lot of the programs didn't even have proper names. I had to read the description to even know what it was, then I would find out the name would change once I installed it to something else I already had installed! I'm just a burnt out artist. I don't have the time to learn Klingon and I damn sure will never have the time to learn Linux.

Ubuntu and Mint community forums are probably the most resourceful and kindest ones around.
Arch and Gentoo forums will basically laugh at you if you're a newb, but there are plenty of guides out there to get you in the right direction. So here is my MAIN point out of all this.

Say you install Ubuntu, and it doesn't recognize you're sound card (which is still a very common probably, even now). You can literally spend a full day trying to get your sound working. And Ubuntu users, don't you lie and say it was easy as pie every time you install Ubuntu on different computers, you're lying if you're in denial if you think its always a smooth process.

Yes, you can manipulate things and get a random driver to eventually work, but chances are it won't fully support the sound cards chipset, so you stuff in mono instead of stereo, or you have single channel audio, or 2.1 instead of 5.1 the list goes on.

Now take Windows 7 or 8. You put the disc in, less than an hour later everything is working. That is fact.

Windows = THE gaming OS.

Ubuntu/Linux in general = For hardcore computer folks who love to tinker.

That's my honest opinion and that is why I think it will be a very long time before there is a real Linux gaming movement. Steam is the pioneer in all of this, everyone else is going to keep focusing on the future of Windows and DirectX. Just put yourself in a gaming developers shoes. Are you really going to all the sudden start coding you games for OpenGL when there is tons of amazing DirectX based SDK's available for use? No. Are they really going to work with Nvidia and AMD to get specific driver updates for multi display updates and performance improvements, for OpenGL? No.

See, I have plenty of valid arguments. :) I'm not trying to have a "Pro Windows or go home!" mentality, I'm just purely stating the hard proven facts. I would love Linux to thrive (along with OpenGL). But that kind of thing is going to take tons of time, effort, money, and implementation. It's a lonnnnnnng road.

Edit: I still would like to see a screenshot comparison of the linux version and windows version, everything maxed.

Last edited:

TheMailMan78

Big Member
Ubuntu and Mint community forums are probably the most resourceful and kindest ones around.
Arch and Gentoo forums will basically laugh at you if you're a newb, but there are plenty of guides out there to get you in the right direction. So here is my MAIN point out of all this.

Say you install Ubuntu, and it doesn't recognize you're sound card (which is still a very common probably, even now). You can literally spend a full day trying to get your sound working. And Ubuntu users, don't you lie and say it was easy as pie every time you install Ubuntu on different computers, you're lying if you're in denial if you think its always a smooth process.

Yes, you can manipulate things and get a random driver to eventually work, but chances are it won't fully support the sound cards chipset, so you stuff in mono instead of stereo, or you have single channel audio, or 2.1 instead of 5.1 the list goes on.

Now take Windows 7 or 8. You put the disc in, less than an hour later everything is working. That is fact.

Windows = THE gaming OS.

Ubuntu/Linux in general = For hardcore computer folks who love to tinker.

They kindly told me to take a programing class. :laugh:

Processor Intel i9-9900k @ 5GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi
Cooling ThermalTake Riing 240
Memory 2x8GB G-Skill 3600 CL19 @ 16-19-19-20
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 2060 Amp!
Storage 2x Samsung 860 Evo 512GB, 4x Seagate 8TB
Display(s) 2x Dell U2713H
Case CoolerMaster M500P
Power Supply ThermalTake Toughpower 730W
Software Windows 10 Pro
Ubuntu doesn't restrict you to one window manager either. You don't have to use Unity.

In the same way that Windows doesn't force you to use Aero. There's always been the option of using the basic theme and classic start menu.
(assuming we are arguing about fluff)

System Name Darth Obsidious
Processor Intel i5 2500K
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V/Gen3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+ in Push Pull
Memory 2X4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) ASUS R9 270x TOP
Storage 128GB Samsung 830 SSD, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Green
Display(s) LG IPS234V-PN
Case Corsair Obsidian 650D
Audio Device(s) Infrasonic Quartet
Power Supply Corsair HX650w
Software Windows 7 64bit and Windows XP Home
Benchmark Scores 2cm mark on bench with a razor blade.
I expected this.
Less overhead.

Processor 7800x3d
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Auros Elite AX
Cooling Custom Water
Memory GSKILL 2x16gb 6000mhz Cas 30 with custom timings
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6750 XT MECH 2X 12G OC
Storage Adata SX8200 1tb with Windows, Samsung 990 Pro 2tb with games
Display(s) HP Omen 27q QHD 165hz
Case ThermalTake P3
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex Titanium
Software Windows 11 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores CB23: 1811 / 19424 CB24: 1136 / 7687
Even if I stayed on windows, I am glad steam/games/etc are moving to linux, although slowly. I just like to have the option. In 5 years time, hopefully, there will be enough software, mostly games for me, to warrant a switch to linux. Certain linux distro's are already easy enough for my computer illiterate granmother could use them. Mint specifically.

System Name H-A-L9000
Processor 3770k
Motherboard Asus p67 Sabertooth
Cooling Custom liquid CPU & GPU
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 1600MHz
Video Card(s) sapphire 290x
Storage 256 Vector, 120 Vertex 2E, 2x 1TB Samsung F3 in RAID 0
Display(s) Dell 2407WFP
Case Akasa Omega
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Phoebus
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Software Win 7 64 pro
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS ROG Crosshair X670E Hero
Cooling EK FLT 240 DDC, x2 Black Ice Nemesis 360GTX, x1 EK-Quantum Surface P240, Phanteks D30-120 fans x9
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo RGB Series (AMD Expo) DDR5 RAM 32GB (2x16GB) 6000MT/s CL30
Video Card(s) ZOTAC Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 AMP Extreme AIRO
Storage Samsung Pro 980 2TB NVMe (OS and Games) // WD Black 10TB HDD (Storage)
Display(s) Samsung 49" Ultrawide Gaming Monitor
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply ASUS Rog Thor 1200 Certified 1200W
Software Windows 11 64 Bit Home Edition
Okay, enough. You want to discuss Linux or what not go for it by all means, but no need to call anybody anything. Keep it clean.

System Name Homelabs
Processor Ryzen 5900x | Ryzen 1920X
Motherboard Asus ProArt x570 Creator | AsRock X399 fatal1ty gaming
Cooling Silent Loop 2 280mm | Dark Rock Pro TR4
Memory 128GB (4x32gb) DDR4 3600Mhz | 128GB (8x16GB) DDR4 2933Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 | ASUS Strix GTX 970
Storage Optane 900p + NVMe | Optane 900p + 8TB SATA SSDs + 48TB HDDs
Display(s) Alienware AW3423dw QD-OLED | HP Omen 32 1440p
Case be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 | be quiet! Silent Base 800
Power Supply Corsair RM750x + sleeved cables| EVGA P2 750W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate (still has buttons on the right side, crucial as I'm a southpaw)
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite, Pro Type | Logitech G915 TKL
Is Linux vs Windows our new Apple vs Microsoft/Google? Our old one was intel vs AMD and sometimes ATi vs NV... If you wanna debate, do it properly, not by calling names

Linux is far from the ease of use of OSX or Windows, and the mainstream isn't ready to have Linux as their main OS, and that is obvious. Guess why Apple is gaining market share? Ease of use. Do you think people will downgrade in that department for 4% faster performance? People pay a HUGE premium for the same performance for Apple products for the ease of use...

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Thread cleaned. Heed Chicken Patty's words.

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit
System Name AM5
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard Asrock X670E Taichi
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 64 Gb - XMP1 Profile
Video Card(s) AMD Reference 7900 XTX 24 Gb
Storage Samsung Gen 4 980 1 TB / Samsung 8TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung 34" 240hz 4K
Case Fractal Define R7
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME PX-1300, 1300W 80+ Platinum, Full Modular
Ive been using Linux Mint this week. However I ended up uninstalling it because I honestly had no idea what I was doing and it became a security risk to the rest of my network.

Sounds like Windows 8, yet, you criticize everyone when they say this.

System Name Homelabs
Processor Ryzen 5900x | Ryzen 1920X
Motherboard Asus ProArt x570 Creator | AsRock X399 fatal1ty gaming
Cooling Silent Loop 2 280mm | Dark Rock Pro TR4
Memory 128GB (4x32gb) DDR4 3600Mhz | 128GB (8x16GB) DDR4 2933Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 | ASUS Strix GTX 970
Storage Optane 900p + NVMe | Optane 900p + 8TB SATA SSDs + 48TB HDDs
Display(s) Alienware AW3423dw QD-OLED | HP Omen 32 1440p
Case be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 | be quiet! Silent Base 800
Power Supply Corsair RM750x + sleeved cables| EVGA P2 750W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate (still has buttons on the right side, crucial as I'm a southpaw)
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite, Pro Type | Logitech G915 TKL