• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Mouse issues

Processor Intel C2D E6420 (3.2 gHz @ 1.365v)
Motherboard Gigabyte 965P-DS3
Cooling Zalman CNPS9500 LED
Memory 4 x 512mb Corsair XMS2 DDR2 667
Video Card(s) Visiontek HD 4870 512mb
Storage 200gb Maxtor SATA, 400gb WD SATA
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2 ZS
Software Windows XP Pro SP2
Okay so I've been trying to figure this out for a couple of days and my mouse has been REALLY bothering me. Prior to my reformat, my Razor Diamondback performed flawlessly. After I reformatted my computer a couple of days ago (with a real version of WinXP mind you), it would have problems when I tried to move the cursor in a diagonal direction. Before the reformat, when I moved my cursor in a diagonal direction (regardless of speed) it would smoothly move diagonally; after the reformat however, the cursor would either move down then to the side or to the side then down instead of smoothly moving diagonally like before. All the drivers have been installed (the same ones that I used before) and nothing has been physically changed. It's driving me crazy because I now have to spend extra time trying to aim the cursor to click the right button when before it would take less than a second.

I've also tried to use the other USB ports on my computer as well with the same result... my Logitech MX Revolution also has the same problem albeit less noticeably so I'm using that for now. Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated :)

System Name Monolith
Processor Intel Xeon E3110 Wolfdale@3.5GHz
Motherboard MSI P35-Neo
Cooling Active Air
Memory 4GB DDR2 800
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD 3850 512MB PCI-E
Storage 1 x 80GB Internal, 1 x 250GB Internal, 1 x 40GB External
Display(s) Acer X203w
Case Generic black case with locking front bezel
Audio Device(s) Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS
Power Supply 500 Watt Seasonic M12
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Are you using the mouse on the same surface? Try using it on a piece of white printer paper. I've had this problem with optical mice, they don't like some mouse pads and surfaces, and behave in the manner you described.

System Name Unknown
Processor AMD Bulldozer FX8320 @ 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V
Cooling XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 for CPU
Memory 8 GB CORSAIR Vengeance Red DDR3 RAM 1922mhz (10-11-9-27)
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Storage Samsung SSD 254GB and Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Display(s) AOC 23" @ 1920x1080 + Asus 27" 1440p
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) X Fi Titanium 5.1 Surround Sound
Power Supply 750 Watt PP&C Silencer Black
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
Why not do another reformat, who know maybe that will fix the problem.

What do you have to lose?:)

Are you using the mouse on the same surface? Try using it on a piece of white printer paper. I've had this problem with optical mice, they don't like some mouse pads and surfaces, and behave in the manner you described.

Same result :cry:

@AphexDreamer: Well other than a few hours worth of getting everything to work the way I want it to... not much. I guess I'll give it another go now that I'm on break :D

mauromol

Hi anticlutch,
just for curiosity, did you find a solution to this problem?
Today, all of the sudden, I'm experiencing the EXACT same problem with a Synpatics Touchpad on a Sony Vaio notebook.

To demonstrate this, if I draw some diagonal lines with Paint, they appear as "waving" instead of straight... :-(
This makes the touchpad almost useless.

Hm unfortunately it was such a long time ago that I don't really remember what I did to fix it... but I do know that I ended up reformatting and eventually buying a new mouse at some point ($15 Microsoft optical mouse ftw). Just out of curiosity though, have you tried disabling the "enhance pointer precision" option in mouse control panel? And have you tried cleaning the touchpad?

mauromol

Hi,
yes, I tried to clean the touchpad and to change any option in the Mouse properties of Windows 7 control panel, including the "enhance pointer precision" one.
I really can't understand what happened... it started all of a sudden and the PC is almost new (just some months of life).
Searching on the Internet, I found similar problems reported by Linux users, solved by changing the horizontal vs vertical sensitivity of the mouse/touchpad, but I can't find any such option in Windows, in the Synaptics software and/or in any Windows tweak program on the net...

Thanks anyway for your feedback!

System Name Gwafwar
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Msi MPG X570 Gaming Plus
Memory 16Gb Adata Spectrix 3600 Cl18
Video Card(s) Palit GTX970 SLI
Storage Adata 512Gb SX8200 pro
Display(s) 3x 27" 1080p Lg's
Case Coolermaster 690 II pure black
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Coolermaster 750W Masterwatt
Mouse Saitek X65-f HOTAS
Software Win10 Pro
Have a look in your bios settings and see if you have set usb to another mode my mistake. I've done this before on a high dpi mouse with similar results.

Often resetting to the original bios settings will fix it without have to tweak anything.

Also you could update your bios if you're happy doing that.

this might also be worth a read.

Non TPU forum link.

Last edited:

mauromol

Hi Iceni, thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately, the BIOS thing did not help.

After some investigation, however, it seems like:
- other samples of the same notebook (Sony Vaio VPCSE1V9E) show the same touchpad behaviour
- another notebook (HP Pavilion g6-1310el) also using a Synaptics touchpad, is showing the same behaviour

So, it seems like it's just a problem of a horrible touchpad accuracy. The strange thing is that on another netbook (Acer Aspire One D257), which also has a Synaptics touchpad, pointer diagonal movements are smooth instead.

I'm also wondering how I couldn't realize this before... :-(

Thanks again for your help.
Mauro.

Maybe reinstalling DirectX libraries... Or caché issues...