• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Multigigabit WiGig Wireless Docking Demoed at IDF 2012

WiGig multigigabit wireless docking technology has been demonstrated by Intel in a presentation of the company's vision of the technologies of the future at the Intel Developer Forum (IDF) 2012 in San Francisco.

WiGig is on track to become the most important next generation multigigabit wireless technology. Its speeds of up to 7 Gbps using the unlicensed 60 Ghz frequency band, combined with advanced Protocol Adaption Layers (PAL) designed for PC, CE and Mobile applications, will mean its applications go beyond that of a straight forward access technology.

"This is a seminal moment for WiGig, developers and end-users," said Dr. Ali Sadri, President and Chairman of the Wireless Gigabit (WiGig) Alliance, the not-for-profit standards organisation responsible for developing the technology.

At IDF 2012 Rattner showcased an example of WiGig's Docking Station and its capacity to remove the need for almost all wired elements of docking and networking.

"Looking to the future, all computing will become wireless computing, with an ever-increasing demand for faster wireless communication," said Intel Chief Technology Officer Justin Rattner. "I'm excited by what I've seen from WiGig technology so far - not only its multigigabit throughput capability, but also the flexibility of the single technology to support a wide range of CE and PC applications. I look forward to the day when docking my Ultrabook or tablet will not even need to be a conscious exercise - it will be as simple as dropping the device anywhere on my desk and having it automatically connect to a display and peripherals, no wires attached."

"Intel demoing WiGig technology at IDF 2012 is a big deal for us and the industry. It is recognition from one of the world's leading vendors that WiGig is real and has a bright future. In just a few years to come I believe people will not know what they did without it. The technology is nearly ready and with chips from multiple WiGig member companies already in production, and certification ready for mid-2013, I would expect a real explosion in the number of WiGig devices coming to market soon," added Sadri.

WiGig technology will be demonstrated by several WiGig member companies at CES 2013 in Las Vegas.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

evulmunk33

BitFenix Rep
60GHz? doesnt that mean itll have a really hard time penetrating walls?
If yes, then this is going to fail, just like wimax... sounds like this is wimax2?

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Processor Intel i5 12600KF
Motherboard MSI PRO Z690-P DDR4, Socket 1700
Cooling MSI Ventus AIO
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 32GB, DDR4, 3200MHz
Video Card(s) MSI VentusRTX 3060 12Gb
Storage XPS 1TB | 2x Kingston 2TB Sata | Sinology 4TB (Raid1) |
Display(s) 24" Dell U2417H
Case Msi Mpg Odin
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC887 + Microlab Solo 6C
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME TX-750, 80
Mouse Razer
Keyboard Razer
Software Windows 10 x64
60GHz? doesnt that mean itll have a really hard time penetrating walls?
If yes, then this is going to fail, just like wimax... sounds like this is wimax2?

This is not meant to compete with normal range wireless protocols.

Imagine a scenario where you have a mobile HDD, you place it on your desk and instead of needing to plug in the USB/eSATA/Thunderbolt. The fact that it wont penetrate the walls is actually a good thing, would you want interference from gear in the next room for this scope?
There are quite a lot of situations where you'd want a super high bandwidth, short range only, wireless protocol.

As a side note, you wont be seeing any multi Gbit wireless tech that has high range any time soon, so sorry... Unless there's a major leap forward in quantum entanglement applied sciences;) Till then I'm afraid that wired will always be better than wireless.

Last edited: