• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AOC Releases the i2757fh 27-inch IPS Monitor

Benetanegia

Incorrect. These news posts of inexpensive or quasi inexpensive 27” 1920x1080 monitors are filled with the same comments expressing discontent over the resolution. These replete ad nauseam comments specific to the cheaper monitor news threads makes it very clear that people are expecting 2560x1440 at that low price from name brand manufacturers. Some exemptions to this would be the newer 29” 2560 x 1080 21:9 monitors.

Completely false. This argument pops up EVERY TIME a new 1080p monitor is released. Not only on cheap ones.

For example the simple act of ice melting which obviously requires specific conditions be met. Expecting ice to melt without the conditions being met is indeed “unrealistic”.

Incorrect. You're taking your own argument, turning it down and expecting it to be right. For example, in most (populated) parts of the world, in the grand mayority of days, ice will melt. It's not unrealistic at all to take an ice cube out of the fridge and expect it to melt. Not at all, in most places it will. Likewise the same applies here. You took one posibility out of the dozens of posibilities and chose it like the only posible or realistic one, simply because it's the current situation and you pretend that it won't change and not only that, but that it's entirely unrealistic for that situation, those conditions, to change.

I personally don’t like to complain about things I can’t change by the simple act of complaining.

The simple act of "complaining" is a drive for change if there's little more you can do. You now just look like one of those sad people, who not only never do anything to change things, but choose to go against the ones who do, no matter how small (or irrelevant) the "effort", simply because they don't agree with them in the believe that it's better to just "play along" with the people on power. Back to 1850 and the black guy. Since he cannot do anything, stfu and get back to work right? Thanks god not everyone is like you. I do see with great sadness how the mayority is turning into that tho.

You would need to retool your factory, why bother when current production is still selling like hotcakes?

You're just justifying them. Is this TPU or an investor meeting from one of those companies?

They are a business, not charity, hence profit comes first. Especially the listed companies with a good amount of debt, they live and die by profits.

Again justifying their POV. No need for that, they can do it themselves pretty well. And even if true, it doesn't make our complaints any less valid. So again why punish the concerned consumers?

And one of them did! see: Catleaps

I don't think they sell outisde of Korea. They are probably not even allowed to. Start selling outside Korea and in large qualtities and how much do you think it will take LG to charge them a hefty premium so that they are a more "reasonable" competitor??

Last edited:
Processor RyZen R9 3950X
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Coolermaster Master Liquid ML240L RGB
Memory 64GB DDR4 3200 (4x16GB)
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Storage Samsung 2TB SSD
Display(s) Asus VE276Q, VE278Q and VK278Q triple 27” 1920x1080
Case Zulman MS800
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Seasonic 650W
VR HMD Oculus Rift, Oculus Quest V1, Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 64bit
Take any conditional system, it doesn’t matter. If the condition hasn’t been met don’t expect a delta.

Its seems you’re deliberately missing the point. There are a great many things in which complaining or protesting will effect no change. I don’t see how or why anyone would suggest otherwise. The key is being able to distinguish when one can effect change and when one cannot.

You would need to retool your factory, why bother when current production is still selling like hotcakes?

They are a business, not charity, hence profit comes first. Especially the listed companies with a good amount of debt, they live and die by profits.

And one of them did! see: Catleaps

For what its worth Fourstaff, I agree with most of what you have said. I will point out though that I was put off by Catleap when looking into what one would have to go through to remove the stand for wall mounting. I really didn’t want to partially disassemble a monitor for what should be something so simple. This is a highly questionable design choice IMO.

Benetanegia

Take any conditional system, it doesn’t matter. If the condition hasn’t been met don’t expect a delta.

Yeah, but you're the only one who thinks that the conditions are not being met and never will. Your only argument is that "it's not the time", but you have no idea whether it is the time or not, or if tomorrow it's going to be the day. You're arbitrarily stating that something is unrealistic simply because "right now" some conditions are not met. Condition that can and WILL change sooner or later.

Its seems you’re deliberately missing the point. There are a great many things in which complaining or protesting will effect no change. I don’t see how or why anyone would suggest otherwise. The key is being able to distinguish when one can effect change and when one cannot.

Ahh then that's the problem right there. You can't see how this is a case where it does make a difference. Plain info just changes everything. TPU is visited by millions of people (guests) everyday, many of who probably think 1080p is the best thing, they can now read how 1440p is better and what enthusiasts want, and it's doable if only manufacturers want or are forced to. That alone makes a world of a difference.

Fourstaff

Staff member
System Name Orange! // ItchyHands
Processor 3570K // 10400F
Motherboard ASRock z77 Extreme4 // TUF Gaming B460M-Plus
Cooling Stock // Stock
Memory 2x4Gb 1600Mhz CL9 Corsair XMS3 // 2x8Gb 3200 Mhz XPG D41
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 // Asus TUF RTX 2070
Storage Samsung 840 250Gb // SX8200 480GB
Display(s) LG 22EA53VQ // Philips 275M QHD
Case NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange // Tecware Forge M
Power Supply Corsair CXM500w // CM MWE 600w
You're just justifying them. Is this TPU or an investor meeting from one of those companies?

Again justifying their POV. No need for that, they can do it themselves pretty well. And even if true, it doesn't make our complaints any less valid. So again why punish the concerned consumers?

I am not justifying them, I saying what I would do as the production manager of a public company, not as a consumer. Unless the company engages heavily with their customers (NZXT comes to mind), consumers will have almost no say, and can only vote with the wallet. At the moment, 1080p is where the money is. I am not iSuppli, so I can't provide you with any meaningful data, but if you take a look at Steam hardware survey you will see that the 1440/1600 screen are growing very slowly. Its the same as 1080 and 1200, customers voted for 1080 with their wallet and that is why 1200 is so rare now. So before we have a major player in the market doing a strong push into the 1440 (which may or may not happen in a 768 world) its still going to be a premium.

On top of that, the screen manufacturers are not making much money at the moment (look at LG Display, Chimei, AUO and others), I don't think they will be cutting the price of premium products just yet.

I don't think they sell outisde of Korea. They are probably not even allowed to. Start selling outside Korea and in large qualtities and how much do you think it will take LG to charge them a hefty premium so that they are a more "reasonable" competitor??

Catleap ships to most places, so I am not sure why you said they don't sell outside Korea. I don't think they will have large quantities though (large as in 10's of thousands) given its lesser quality screens, something screen manufacturers try to minimise.

it's doable if only manufacturers want or are forced to. That alone makes a world of a difference.
I don't see them wanting to (especially in current climate), and they are not forced to. If you are an enthusiast you should pay a premium for premium products, there is nothing new.

System Name Modest Box
Processor i5-4690K @ 4.7 Ghz
Motherboard ASUS Z97-C
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory G.Skill Ares DDR3-2400 16GB
Video Card(s) Colorful GTX 950
Storage OCZ Vertex 460A 480GB
Display(s) HP w2558hc
Case Cooler Master Stacker 830
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek
Power Supply Gigabyte 750W Gold
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer
Software Windows 10 64 Bit
If I need a sub-$300 monitor I'd absolutely consider it. Bestbuy has it for $269.99 and that's not a bad price even with its drawbacks. Its really attractive looking and even though it doesn't have VESA mounts it pops off its stand and can sit directly on the desk. Yes, its a 27" 1080p, but at 28" (which is how far I sit from a monitor) that's not really a problem and it is IPS. Usually $270 is cheap TN territory.

Last edited:

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!

Ok. I want 4k now, for free. That is my concern, that is what I want now. I am retarded.

Benetanegia

Catleap ships to most places, so I am not sure why you said they don't sell outside Korea. I don't think they will have large quantities though (large as in 10's of thousands) given its lesser quality screens, something screen manufacturers try to minimise.

Shipping is not equal to selling. When you buy Catleaps, you buy them in Korea, tied to korean laws and then they are shipped to you. That's for example why the have bad dead pixel policies, between other things.

And I'm really talking about going to newegg, amazon, etc. and finding them there anyway. And I don't think they sell there at all. Until they do they are far from being any sort of competitor at a consumer level.

Ok. I want 4k now, for free. That is my concern, that is what I want now. I am retarded.

Well yeah, thanks for (not) contributing.

But no really, I hope it's just a joke, because I hope you don't really think that has anything to do with what we are talking about.

Fourstaff

Staff member
Cooling Stock // Stock
Shipping is not equal to selling. When you buy Catleaps, you buy them in Korea, tied to korean laws and then they are shipped to you. That's for example why the have bad dead pixel policies, between other things.

And I'm really talking about going to newegg, amazon, etc. and finding them there anyway. And I don't think they sell there at all. Until they do they are far from being any sort of competitor at a consumer level.

Basic Korean retailer laws is not that much different from the American version. I wonder how much extra worthless regulation you need to pass in order to get the American stamp of approval, and all of those costs money, effort and most importantly precious time.

Low volume and consumer protection will see that you will not see any Catleaps in "a store near you", even if they do the price will rise fast to satisfy the supply/demand curve.

System Name "Run of the mill" (except GPU)
Processor R9 3900X
Motherboard ASRock X470 Taich Ultimate
Cooling Cryorig (not recommended)
Memory 32GB (2 x 16GB) Team 3200 MT/s, CL14
Video Card(s) Radeon RX6900XT
Storage Samsung 970 Evo plus 1TB NVMe
Display(s) Samsung Q95T
Case Define R5
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1000W
Mouse Roccat Leadr
Keyboard K95 RGB
Software Windows 11 Pro x64, insider preview dev channel
Benchmark Scores #1 worldwide on 3D Mark 99, back in the (P133) days. :)
When you buy Catleaps, you buy them in Korea, tied to korean laws and then they are shipped to you. That's for example why the have bad dead pixel policies, between other things

And I believe the Catleap/Yamakazi (and there are some other companies) are not using the A+ panels, nor are they fitting AG filters, scalers etc. which is another reason they can sell at a lower price.

I do think it would be nice if the prices of 2560 x 1200 monitors would come down a bit more too mind you. :laugh:

Benetanegia

And I believe the Catleap/Yamakazi (and there are some other companies) are not using the A+ panels, nor are they fitting AG filters, scalers etc. which is another reason they can sell at a lower price.

I do think it would be nice if the prices of 2560 x 1200 monitors would come down a bit more too mind you. :laugh:

I've never said that I demand lower prices anyway. I've just discussed the notion that it is unreaslistic to expect them to eventually lower prices.

Mentioning Catleaps and other Korean monitors was just to show that 1440p monitors at lower prices are posible. And I specifically said that by lower I mean $400-500, not $300 nor for free as so many (stupid, no ofense) posts are suggesting that I said.

A+ panels, AG filter, scalers, adjustable stands, etc. are widely available well in the sub $300 bracket and 27" monitors (as the OP monitor demostrates), so the lack of those does not make korean monitors automatically $300+ cheaper than brand name monitors.

You have 1080p monitors with all those feaures and A/A+ panels for <$300 on one side and ~$300 1440p monitors on the other. Cross mixing those 2 conditions never ever ends in a $680 (actually most are $800++) monitor at the same profitability/feasibility. $400 monitors are hence posible and by virtue of that and the assumption of a competitive free market* it is competely realistic to expect such a monitor from a known brand one day or the next. That is all.

* Yeah I know the flaw to my logic is there, but that's been my point since the beginning anyway. :laugh:

Fourstaff

Staff member
Cooling Stock // Stock
Mentioning Catleaps and other Korean monitors was just to show that 1440p monitors at lower prices are posible. And I specifically said that by lower I mean $400-500, not $300 nor for free as so many (stupid, no ofense) posts are suggesting that I said.

We can get undiscounted Dell 1440p monitors at £500 now, which should translate to about $550 in the States. Its not too far from your $400-500 price bracket.

Benetanegia

We can get undiscounted Dell 1440p monitors at £500 now, which should translate to about $550 in the States. Its not too far from your $400-500 price bracket.

Wow the GBP is so low now? Maybe that's the reason, exchange rate variations can dramatically change the landscape. IDK, I don't think I can't get one of those for less than 800 €, I'll let you know that.

Fourstaff

Staff member
Cooling Stock // Stock
Wow the GBP is so low now? Maybe that's the reason, exchange rate variations can dramatically change the landscape. IDK, I don't think I can't get one of those for less than 800 €, I'll let you know that.

We have taxes and all kinds of things, and that almost always translate to £1 = $1 or close. On paper its still $1.6 to £1 though, as has been for the last few years.

Benetanegia

We have taxes and all kinds of things, and that almost always translate to £1 = $1 or close. On paper its still $1.6 to £1 though, as has been for the last few years.

It doesn't add up to me. 500 GBP -> $800 -> 800 - 20% VAT = $666

What kind of other stuff do you have that hikes the price so much? :eek: Rip-off tax from the Devil? (666 :laugh:)

Fourstaff

Staff member
Cooling Stock // Stock
It doesn't add up to me. 500 GBP -> $800 -> 800 - 20% VAT = $666

What kind of other stuff do you have that hikes the price so much? :eek: Rip-off tax from the Devil? (666 :laugh:)

Its a well known fact consumers in UK gets shafted quite badly in many ways. Regardless, you can get one without discount at $800: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...ynoteSearch&baynote_bnrank=9&baynote_irrank=0

If the discounting is as deep and prevalent as UK, you will be seeing at least 25% off if you shop around, bring it to $600. Give it a year.

System Name "Run of the mill" (except GPU)
Processor R9 3900X
Motherboard ASRock X470 Taich Ultimate
Cooling Cryorig (not recommended)
Memory 32GB (2 x 16GB) Team 3200 MT/s, CL14
Video Card(s) Radeon RX6900XT
Storage Samsung 970 Evo plus 1TB NVMe
Display(s) Samsung Q95T
Case Define R5
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1000W
Mouse Roccat Leadr
Keyboard K95 RGB
Software Windows 11 Pro x64, insider preview dev channel
Benchmark Scores #1 worldwide on 3D Mark 99, back in the (P133) days. :)
Give it a year is right, I'm not upgrading my 3008 until I can get something with native 120Hz input and at least IPS level of viewing but at a faster response time and with LED backlight.

Who knows, maybe consume 4k will take off in a big way and we will suddenly have all out wishesgranted with 40" 4k monitors with all the goodness for under 1k (be that $, £ or €) - I can dream, probably looking at 3 to 5 years for that, but maybe if the TV market stalls further they will have to "pull in" 4k at consumer pricing. ;)