• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Siliconarts Announces 'RayCore' Real-Time Ray Tracing GPU

Siliconarts Inc., a Korean tech startup, developed RayCore, the real-time ray tracing graphics processor (GPU) for the first time in graphics hardware history. RayCore is the next-generation GPU that is used in rendering high-quality 3D graphics whose graphics performance surpasses that of rasterization GPU approach.

Mostly utilized in Hollywood studios in creating huge contents such as "Toy Story" and "Avatar," realistic effects are the key to differentiating the features of ray tracing technology compared to a rasterization approach. However, ray tracing was only implemented using software due to the limitations to process exponential calculations, to equip with highly expensive series of rendering gears and to process and the wait for significantly longer rendering times. In addition, it was not even implemented on a real-time basis.

RayCore, developed by Siliconarts, is a hardware that has overcome the limitations of the existing ray tracing approach, applying all of the benefits of ray tracing to its product that can render cinema-quality 3D graphics effects on real-time basis.

Particularly, RayCore is designed to consume the industry's lowest power level in order to implement both User Interface and User Experience on mobile platforms such as smartphones; it is expected that a significant impact is inevitable to the mobile game space. In other words, UI/UX as well as mobile games created based on these high-quality 3D effects will be made possible. A senior official of Siliconarts mentioned that ray tracing technology-enabled smartphones will be introduced soon, as the company already completed its license agreement with Company A to supply RayCore GPU IP.

"The key feature of this product is that ray tracing, which was considered impossible to implement using hardware, is now available not only on PCs and servers, but also in diverse devices such as smartphones and smart TVs. None of the global GPU companies have successfully implemented ray tracing on a real-time basis and their technology level is still trivial. It is almost impossible to implement," said Hyung Min Yoon, the CEO of Siliconarts.

You can witness the powerful implementation of exquisite 3D graphics using RayCore as the company will be demonstrating its products at i-SEDEX2012 from October 9 - October 11 at #2570, Hall 2, KINTEX, Goyang-si, Gyunggi-do, Korea.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Last edited by a moderator:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
eventually AMD or Nvidia will buy the company out.

Benetanegia

Skeptic here. Faster than rasterization with lower power consumption? I want to believe...

Also I'm not sure I want my games back to hard shadows again (looking at the pictures). Ray-tracing without area lights pretty much sucks in this day and age.

Also I'm not sure I want my games back to hard shadows again (looking at the pictures). Ray-tracing without area lights pretty much sucks in this day and age.

And GPU accelerated voxels and octrees arrived years ago to rescue you. (but the picture sucks hard, I agree. No caustics, no radiosity, etc,...nothing)

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
We need more info about this. Obviously, the pictures above look like a 3D Studio render back in the '90s

We need more info about this. Obviously, the pictures above look like a 3D Studio render back in the '90s

I highly agree. If this is a small GPGPU which might be used on any PCB as some kind of a coprocessor, or if the silicon could be used in current CPUs and GPUs, than this could be quite a big success.

Fourstaff

Staff member
System Name Orange! // ItchyHands
Processor 3570K // 10400F
Motherboard ASRock z77 Extreme4 // TUF Gaming B460M-Plus
Cooling Stock // Stock
Memory 2x4Gb 1600Mhz CL9 Corsair XMS3 // 2x8Gb 3200 Mhz XPG D41
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 // Asus TUF RTX 2070
Storage Samsung 840 250Gb // SX8200 480GB
Display(s) LG 22EA53VQ // Philips 275M QHD
Case NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange // Tecware Forge M
Power Supply Corsair CXM500w // CM MWE 600w
eventually AMD or Nvidia will buy the company out.

As is the norm, this company lack the R&D to translate their research to a product.

Skeptic here. Faster than rasterization with lower power consumption? I want to believe...

There is probably a catch somewhere.

Benetanegia

I've been investigatig a bit about it and found this:

https://sites.google.com/a/siliconarts.co.kr/siliconarts-inc/newsroom
RayCore® enables 3D contents to process in between 14 million to 24 million rays per second per core, the industry's fastest performance, and supports display resolutions of 960x640, 960x480, 800x480, and 300x240.

Here's the catch and not very impressive apparently.

From http://graphics.stanford.edu/papers/i3dkdtree/gpu-kd-i3d.pdf:

The Cell system from [Benthin et al. 2006] can issue 19.2 four-wide GInstr/s, about 62% the rate of our X1900 XTX, but casts 57.2 million primary rays per second compared to our 15.2 for similar renderings of the conference room scene. Their single 2.4 GHz Opteron reaches 8.7 million
primary rays per second.

And here http://bouliiii.blogspot.com.es/2008/08/real-time-ray-tracing-with-cuda-100.html

With the last optimizations I made, I think that between 12 millions rays / s and 40 millions rays/s may be computed on a GeForce 8800GT on the demo I give in the code. I will test soon the code on a GTX280 and without being too optimistic, I think that 100 millions rays / sec may be generated on it.

2.4 Opteron - 8.7 million rays/s
X1900 XTX - 15.2 million rays/s
Cell - 57.2 million rays/s
8800 GT - 12-40 million rays/s
GTX 280 - 100 million rays/s
Current gen GPU?? - 2-4x GTX280? More? GTX 480 was 8x faster than GTX285 in Design Garage demo. So what 200-800 million rays/s for a current GPU??
RayCore - 14-24 million ray/s per core.

(Yeah, I might be comparing apples to oranges, but I think that it gives a general idea and it's not like the examples given by Siliconarts look much more advanced than previous realtime ray-tracers)

If 1 RayCore is aimed at mobile chips (that's what I understand), how many cores would fit in a die size equal to a high-end GPU? 10 (240 million rays/s)? 20 (480 million rays/s)?

After investigating a lot I only have more questions lol. But I do believe a little more on the posibility of real-time ray-tracing being absolutely posible right now and definitely by 2013-2014. As to being faster than rasterization tho, NO WAY.

Last edited:

Fourstaff

Staff member
Cooling Stock // Stock
Still looks promising with the figures you are posting, they are about 5 years behind, easily fixed with boatloads of money thrown their way.

Benetanegia

Still looks promising with the figures you are posting, they are about 5 years behind, easily fixed with boatloads of money thrown their way.

What do you mean by 5 years behind? Who?

Fourstaff

Staff member
Cooling Stock // Stock
What do you mean by 5 years behind? Who?

RayCore, judging by their per core performance. 14-24 million rays/s would have been average to good performance 5 years ago compared to standard raster.

Benetanegia

RayCore, judging by their per core performance. 14-24 million rays/s would have been average to good performance 5 years ago compared to standard raster.

Well considering it's on a mobile size I'd consider them as not being su much behind. In fact I'm not sure they are behind at all. But we are comparing a commercial product against research studies which were mostly looking for feasibility and not for maximum optimized performance and using CUDA/OpenGL/OpenCL wrappers. In future releases Nvidia/AMd could certainly implement certain "semi-fixed" function capabilities and match or even vastly outperform them though, but who knows. Right now I can only assume that on this side of the equation RayCore is ahead by a couple years.

On the other hand I don't think that more funding is going to help them much, looking at the link of the website I posted it seems that they got some nice funding from Korean government. More investment would definitely be needed for a grand scale manufacturing plan, but I don't think it's going to help R&D all that much.

So summarizing, I don't consider them behind (nethier ahead as PR says), but I don't think funding would improve their tech much (talking abut generational jumps) either.

It woud be nice to have them as competitors to AMD and Nvidia on the GPU side, but they don't offer equivalent tech so I doubt game developers will be interested unless AMD/Nvidia offer the same tech and most probably an API standard would need to be created before they move a finger in that direction.

For professional market this is good, no doubt and here they can certainly compete, since being a platform on their own is not a problem, tho I hear that Nvidia's Optix has already a substantial market and there's free GPU renderers such as Cycles, Luxrender which are very popular too. Competition is good any day of the week tho.

System Name Dark Stealth
Processor Ryzen 5 5600x
Motherboard Gigabyte B450M Gaming rev 1.0
Cooling Snowman, arctic p12 x2 fans
Memory 16x2 DDR4 Corsair Dominator Pro
Video Card(s) 3080 10gb
Storage 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 Crucial P3 Plus, 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, 4TB WD RED HDD
Display(s) HP Omen 34c (34" monitor 3440x1440 165Hz VA panel)
Case Zalman S2
Power Supply Corsair 750TX
Mouse Logitech pro superlight, mx mouse s3, Razer Basiliskx with battery
Keyboard Custom mechanical keyboard tm680
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores 70-80 fps 3440x1440 on cyberpunk 2077 max settings
I think its simply amazing.

2.4 Opteron - 8.7 million rays/s
X1900 XTX - 15.2 million rays/s
Cell - 57.2 million rays/s
8800 GT - 12-40 million rays/s
GTX 280 - 100 million rays/s
Current gen GPU?? - 2-4x GTX280? More? GTX 480 was 8x faster than GTX285 in Design Garage demo. So what 200-800 million rays/s for a current GPU??
RayCore - 14-24 million ray/s per core.

(Yeah, I might be comparing apples to oranges, but I think that it gives a general idea and it's not like the examples given by Siliconarts look much more advanced than previous realtime ray-tracers)

If 1 RayCore is aimed at mobile chips (that's what I understand), how many cores would fit in a die size equal to a high-end GPU? 10 (240 million rays/s)? 20 (480 million rays/s)?

After investigating a lot I only have more questions lol. But I do believe a little more on the posibility of real-time ray-tracing being absolutely posible right now and definitely by 2013-2014. As to being faster than rasterization tho, NO WAY.

I'm not here to defend RayCore (don't know anything about them anyway), but you are indeed comparing apples and oranges. There are still a lots of technical difficulties with currently availabe GPU based raytracing methods, and some clever hardware invention could speed things up quite a bit. It's about the relation and the interaction of the secondary rays (shadow, reflection, refraction), the transparency of the traced "point", the speedy and proper handling of curved surfaces with their adaptive tessellation,etc.. those are just a few from many things which are slowing down HW based ray-tracing a lot. Being skeptical is all right, but let's just not bash something new before we know enough about it;)

ps.: fixed the link for ya

Benetanegia

I'm not here to defend RayCore (don't know anything about them anyway), but you are indeed comparing apples and oranges. There are still a lots of technical difficulties with currently availabe GPU based raytracing methods, and some clever hardware invention could speed things up quite a bit. It's about the relation and the interaction of the secondary rays (shadow, reflection, refraction), the transparency of the traced "point", the speedy and proper handling of curved surfaces with their adaptive tessellation,etc.. those are just a few from many things which are slowing down HW based ray-tracing a lot. Being skeptical is all right, but let's just not bash something new before we know enough about it;)

ps.: fixed the link for ya

It was not my intention to bash it. I just read the PR and thought "this are some outstanding claims" and of course outstanding claims require outstanding demonstrations.

I investigated and the claims don't seem to match what the reality is atm.

Like I said I know it's kind of apples to oranges, but there's absolutely no way to tell if RayCore offers anything over existing GPU ray-tracers or if it's actually the other way around (i.e rayCore using "optimizations", compromises). Pictures provided by Siliconarts definitely DON'T show anything new or outstanding, so why should we assume there tracer is more advanced?

PS: Thanks for the link. I fixed it. For some reason a colon "magically appeared" at the end for no reason. :p

Last edited:
It was not my intention to bash it. I just read the PR and thought "this are some outstanding claims" and of course outstanding claims require outstanding demonstrations.

I investigated and the claims don't seem to match what the reality is atm.

Like I said I know it's kind of apples to oranges, but there's absolutely no way to tell if RayCore offers anything over existing GPU ray-tracers or if it's actually the other way around (i.e rayCore using "optimizations", compromises). Pictures provided by Siliconarts definitely DON'T show anything new or outstanding, so why should we assume there tracer is more advanced?

PS: Thanks for the link. I fixed it. For some reason a colon "magically appeared" at the end for no reason. :p

It might have some special instruction or micro-code hard-wired into the silicon, specially designed to help some certain ray-tracing algorithms, but that's just a wild guess;)

Btw - as I already said it above - I agree about the picture, it makes the whole PR attempt to look like a really bad joke, and it would be better to leave it out:)

Benetanegia

It might have some special instruction or micro-code hard-wired into the silicon, specially designed to help some certain ray-tracing algorithms, but that's just a wild guess;)

He, I was suggesting that when I said:

In future releases Nvidia/AMd could certainly implement certain "semi-fixed" function capabilities and match or even vastly outperform them though, but who knows. Right now I can only assume that on this side of the equation RayCore is ahead by a couple years.

But I can understand that my made up jargon wasn't understood properly. :laugh:

But back to the discussion, I'm not completely sure that advantage (which is probably just temporal should ray-tracing become an standard) is even enough now, considering that GPU makers are probably way ahead on manufacturing and probably on raw performance. I've not seen comparable numbers for current cards. Nebulous in my memory I think I remember reading that Design Garage shoots over 1 billion rays/s, but that's at 3 fps on a Fermi, so certainly not real-time and not comparable and to make matters worse it was at a higher 1080p resolution. Hard to make comparisons. Only that on that particular ray-tracing demo GTX480 was 8x faster than GTX 285, but that's probably in large part, Nvidia optimizing for Fermi (not that Fermi >>>> Tesla for those kind of tasks).

So all in all, I agree, it's too early to draw conclusions. I'm just trying to cover all angles and understand all things implicated, for which discussing it is really advantageous. Nothing like seing others' pov to cover all angles.

System Name ITX Desktop
Processor Core i7 9700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro WiFi Z390
Cooling Arctic esports 34 duo.
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3000MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 Gaming OC White PRO
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus | Intel SSD 660p
Case NZXT H200
Power Supply Corsair CX Series 750 Watt
Processor Intel i5-6600
Motherboard ASRock H170M-ITX
Cooling Cooler Master Geminii S524
Memory G.Skill DDR4-2133 16GB (8GB x 2)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte R9-380X 4GB
Storage Samsung 950 EVO 250GB (mSATA)
Display(s) LG 29UM69G-B 2560x1080 IPS
Case Lian Li PC-Q25
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Seasonic SS-460FL2
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G110
Software Windows 10 Pro
^ I don't know, seems too specific a solution for them. As the Phi becomes more powerful I believe Intel will start to expand its market beyond HPC. It could happen as early as the next generation of Phi.

It woud be nice to have them as competitors to AMD and Nvidia on the GPU side, but they don't offer equivalent tech so I doubt game developers will be interested unless AMD/Nvidia offer the same tech and most probably an API standard would need to be created before they move a finger in that direction.

AMD/nVidia could adopt quickly thanks the increasing attention to GPGPU over the years and several devs have expressed an interest, but yeah, someone will need to come forward with a plan as to how to go forward with it.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
I hope Intel buys this company and comes up as an alternative to AMD/nVidia.

probably the most interesting thing that could happen with this tech at the minute would be this, how are they claiming anything more then mobile use with those resolutions( they mention server and pc's)960xweva is not good enough ,simples.

i dont see this as even slightly evolutionary either ,imagination technologies bought caustic tec a few years ago and have been threatening to release an arm Soc with powerVr/caustic tech capable of raytraced gfx's, is it possible this is linked to that(ala patent troll tech) , regardless they are far from the first with this but hey ho.

Benetanegia

how are they claiming anything more then mobile use with those resolutions( they mention server and pc's)960xweva is not good enough ,simples.

I suppose they can use multiple processors (6 seem to be required) to form a full HD picture. Since ray-tracing works "backwards" (from camera > to objects > to light sources) tiling is no problem at all.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
I suppose they can use multiple processors (6 seem to be required) to form a full HD picture. Since ray-tracing works "backwards" (from camera > to objects > to light sources) tiling is no problem at all.

Your creating false realities there, what you supose they can do is not what they just announced , and in reality they announced very little concrete info at all so why spread fud

who is this Company A and what phones are going to have them , what Oem's are going to be shipping them, premature pr Bs Imho, and anyway crysis isnt going to run on it so it must be crap:p

Benetanegia

Your creating false realities there

Eh?? Do you know how ray-tracing (or rasterizing for that matter) works?

Btw I didn't see it supports 960x640, so with 4 of them 1920x1280 would be posible. No need for 6 (was thinkikng max res was 960x480)

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 1600X
Motherboard AsRock X370 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H60 Liquid Cooling
Memory 16 GB CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 3000 Mhz (Running at 2933)
Video Card(s) EVGA FTW2 GTX 1070Ti
Storage 740GB of SSDs, 7 TB's of HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UD58P-B 27” IPS 4K
Case Phanteks Enthos Pro M
Audio Device(s) Integrated
Power Supply EVGA 750 P2
Mouse Mionix Naos 8200
Keyboard G Skill Ripjaws RGB Mechanical Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro
ooooohhhhhh sooooooo shiny