• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

City of Steam

CoS_Dorian

City of Steam Rep
First off, a quick thanks to W1zzard for allowing me to post this here.

Hello, all. My name is Dorian, and I work for Mechanist Games, the indie developer of City of Steam. The game is a Unity3D-based MMO transporting players to an industrial-age fantasy where clockworks, steam power, and arcane technologies suffuse every aspect of existence, from the half-organic, half-mechanical dwarves to the giant gears of the World Machine itself (which is exactly why we sometimes promote it as a steampunk-ish game). All this and it plays in a web-browser! Unlike some others out there the whole size is tiny but this doesn't take away the graphics and immersive environments.

I mean, just check out the world:

(or click on it to see the Unity animated project (it is indeed impressive!)

A quick look at our gameplay through our Alpha gameplay trailer on:
City of Steam Alpha Gameplay Trailer - YouTube. (More gameplay to be expected in the upcoming Beta version, including faction and company.)

We wrapped up the Alpha Test about two months ago and are now steaming right towards Beta. We're about to release Closed Beta Test at 7pm on November 16th (Eastern Standard Time, on Friday). Wanna see what results from our over-caffeinated days of headlong rush towards Beta? Here it is, our newest funny (?) parody-of-powerthirst "Power Steam Trailer"! Enjoy!

Basically you can subscribe to our newsletter to get the priority to a Beta key. Key giveaway campaigns will be launched as we're closer to the CBT date, so stay tuned.

I'll be glad to read your input and answer any questions you have for me so feel free to post. ;)

Update:
Heads-up, guys - Big updates on the CoS official site, featuring Beta date announced (starting on Nov. 16) and new Beta Collaborator Packs launched with heaps of awesome extras, which will be around only for Beta! Hop over to the site for detailed info! And feel free to drop us a line or two! :toast:

Update:With CBT drawing near (coming at 7pm on Friday, Nov. 16th, Pacific Standard Time), key giveaway campaigns have been announced. Check out how you can nab a key here.

Last edited:

HammerON

The Watchful Moderator
Staff member
System Name Threadripper
Processor 3960X
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix TRX40-XE
Cooling XSPC Raystorm Neo (sTR4) Water Block
Memory G. Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB 3600
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4090
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB + WD Black SN850 1TB
Display(s) Dell 32" Curved Gaming Monitor (S3220DGF)
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) On-board
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G5
Mouse Roccat Kone Pure
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Always changing~
Welcome to TPU!
Not much of a MMO player, but graphics look alright.

System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro
Willing to try it out. Thanks

System Name Old Gateway / Steam Deck OLED LE
Processor i5 4440 3.1ghz / Jupiter 4c 8t
Motherboard Gateway / Valve
Cooling Eh it doesn't thermal throttle
Memory 2x 8GB JEDEC 1600mhz DDR3 / 16gb DDR5 6400
Video Card(s) RX 560D 4GB / Navi II 8CU
Storage 240gb 2.5 SSD / 1TB nvme
Display(s) Dell @ 1280*1024 75hz / 800p OLED
Case Gateway / Valve LE
Audio Device(s) Gateway Diamond Audio EMC2.0-USB 5375U ($15 a long ass time ago), Valve
Power Supply 380w oem / 65w valve USB-C
Mouse Purple Walmart special, 1600dpi. Black desk mat
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex 100 / virtual
VR HMD Lmao
Software Windows 10 / Steam OS
Benchmark Scores It can run Crysis (Original), Doom 2016, and Halo MCC. SD LE 45fps
The pic in the OP reminds me of two things... a gear set inside an automatic transmission, and the game Septerra Core.

just watched the Alpha gameplay video... Looks pretty impressive so far. Game play looks like it resembles that of Diablo which is a plus for me. Graphics look pretty nice too, esp. for an Alpha build.

What are the requirements to run the game at its highest setting? or an estimate?

also, a lot of the things with the game's environment reminded me of Septerra Core as well. I'm starting to like the game already :)

CoS_Dorian

City of Steam Rep
Welcome to TPU!
Not much of a MMO player, but graphics look alright.
Thanks for the welcome. As to the graphics, well, for a browser-based game, we think it's great indeed (maybe too shameless to say "awesome", huh? But that's what we think to be honest. :laugh:).

City of Steam is not just some MMO. We've put a heavy emphasis on the story and the quest-lines. The whole game is very story-driven. Go to the City of Steam Website for all the detailed world lores. Enjoy the fun of living in an industrial-age-fantasy world.

Willing to try it out. Thanks
Closed Beta Test is scheduled to come out this November, so you'll be able to try it out in another month (or probably less than a month as it's already half way through Oct.). I suggest you subscribe to our newsletter for the priority to get a closed beta key as well as to stay tuned to the most up-to-date news.:)

Last edited:

CoS_Dorian

City of Steam Rep
The pic in the OP reminds me of two things... a gear set inside an automatic transmission, and the game Septerra Core.

just watched the Alpha gameplay video... Looks pretty impressive so far. Game play looks like it resembles that of Diablo which is a plus for me. Graphics look pretty nice too, esp. for an Alpha build.

What are the requirements to run the game at its highest setting? or an estimate?

also, a lot of the things with the game's environment reminded me of Septerra Core as well. I'm starting to like the game already :)
I haven't played Septerra Core yet but I googled for screenshots and they looked very nifty. Gonna try it out if only I have more time to play games recently.

As to PC spec requirements, the game will be very scalable and friendly to different configurations, so we don't think anyone will have a barrier into the game based on hardware. But if you're looking to run the game at its highest setting, you're recommended to have a minimum spec of:

Dual-core E5800 for CPU;
2G DDR3 1333 for Memory Card;
mid-range Graphics card (like GTS450).

But this has changed drastically due to a refactoring of the client after Alpha test, so we're looking for more tests from Beta. More accurate details on this front will be announced as soon as we've nailed one. Hope this is helpful.:)

System Name [Daily Driver]
Processor [Ryzen 7 5800X3D]
Motherboard [Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS]
Cooling [be quiet! Dark Rock Slim]
Memory [64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600MHz (16GBx4)]
Video Card(s) [PNY RTX 3070Ti XLR8]
Storage [1TB SN850 NVMe, 4TB 990 Pro NVMe, 2TB 870 EVO SSD, 2TB SA510 SSD]
Display(s) [2x 27" HP X27q at 1440p]
Case [Fractal Meshify-C]
Audio Device(s) [Steelseries Arctis Pro]
Power Supply [CORSAIR RMx 1000]
Mouse [Logitech G Pro Wireless]
Keyboard [Logitech G512 Carbon (GX-Brown)]
Software [Windows 11 64-Bit]
Your video on the webpage while funny doesnt seem to explain what the game is about.. at all..

The alpha video gives me the impression itd work better as a top down game.. That or the effects need a rework as right now in third person they overwhelm the screen

CoS_Dorian

City of Steam Rep
Your video on the webpage while funny doesnt seem to explain what the game is about.. at all..
Partly agreed. For those who have no idea what City of Steam is, the "Power Steam Trailer" doesn't say much (but at least it tells you it's a free-to-play web game in addition to several other little in-game things, right? :p). To be exact, the "Power Steam Trailer" isn't a trailer at all, but something we did to have a little fun with gamers (which is great!) while still helps get the word out (which is even greater!)! :D

The alpha video gives me the impression itd work better as a top down game.. That or the effects need a rework as right now in third person they overwhelm the screen
Interesting! But that we'll leave up to the players to choose. Some like to play it in 3rd person, some like to play it in top down, but you can easily swap between these view styles by adjusting your camera. Just like some players like WASD movement, while some others prefer click to move, and we also leave that up to the player.:)

CoS_Dorian

City of Steam Rep
Dave, the Lead Designer, talked about multiple solutions to rendering framerate problems when it comes to having too many players jammed in one single map in his new dev journal. Your thoughts? Feel free to share.:)

System Name [Daily Driver]
Processor [Ryzen 7 5800X3D]
Motherboard [Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS]
Cooling [be quiet! Dark Rock Slim]
Memory [64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600MHz (16GBx4)]
Video Card(s) [PNY RTX 3070Ti XLR8]
Storage [1TB SN850 NVMe, 4TB 990 Pro NVMe, 2TB 870 EVO SSD, 2TB SA510 SSD]
Display(s) [2x 27" HP X27q at 1440p]
Case [Fractal Meshify-C]
Audio Device(s) [Steelseries Arctis Pro]
Power Supply [CORSAIR RMx 1000]
Mouse [Logitech G Pro Wireless]
Keyboard [Logitech G512 Carbon (GX-Brown)]
Software [Windows 11 64-Bit]
Sounds horrible

Your forcing a diminished player experience because of the game engines current limitation. Sounds like a "Well we could spend time fixing the problem, or we could take the lazy easy route"

CoS_Dorian

City of Steam Rep
Sounds horrible

Your forcing a diminished player experience because of the game engines current limitation. Sounds like a "Well we could spend time fixing the problem, or we could take the lazy easy route"
Sorry but I don't really get where you got the idea that we're taking a "lazy easy route". Dave has explained in his article why we settled on the third option and not the first two quite explicitly, and it's not that we are “forcing a diminished player experience", rather, the option chosen, imo, is the one that least diminishes the player experience, and only graphically!

All games are faced with this problem and decide on different ways to solve it depending on the respective games environment and design. I would love to hear about a game that had the possibility of rendering as many players as the server could support. The major issue has much to do with compatibility for every prospective player's computer. We are merely trying to determine which option is best for CoS.

System Name Darth Obsidious
Processor Intel i5 2500K
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V/Gen3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+ in Push Pull
Memory 2X4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) ASUS R9 270x TOP
Storage 128GB Samsung 830 SSD, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Green
Display(s) LG IPS234V-PN
Case Corsair Obsidian 650D
Audio Device(s) Infrasonic Quartet
Power Supply Corsair HX650w
Software Windows 7 64bit and Windows XP Home
Benchmark Scores 2cm mark on bench with a razor blade.
Looks potentially appealing.
Probably because i am not sure where I am suppose to start on this game after creating a character.

I play tribes: Ascend and I see the devs of this game have the same frame of mind when it comes to offering players to spend $ on the game which I think works out well.
I have now personally spent a reasonable amount of $ on Tribes because I enjoy it and that's what people will do if they enjoy a game.

CoS_Dorian

City of Steam Rep
Heads-up, guys - Big updates on the CoS official site, featuring Beta date announced (starting on Nov. 16) and new Beta Collaborator Packs launched with heaps of awesome extras, which will be around only for Beta! Hop over to the site for detailed info! And feel free to drop us a line or two! :toast:

CoS_Dorian

City of Steam Rep
Just a recap of what we have updated after two weeks of no update in this thread.

First of all, Steam-o-meter! Pushing up the points on this meter will help us reach certain goals that we intend to reach in this CBT and as such bonus contents will be added as our thanks to you for the help. That, and, a few humiliations for some of the devs...Right now we've got to the point that one of the devs, Gabriel (or Gab/Gaby as we call him) will dress up as FemGab (the female character that he so fancied playing during the Alpha Test)! More points, more bonus features for CBT, including the mechanic Dwarves, Steambikes, pets and all! Read this to get what you can do to help push it up.

Second, Beta Teaser Trailer up. You may watch it here.

Third! With CBT drawing near (coming at 7pm on Friday, Nov. 16th, Pacific Standard Time), key giveaway campaigns have been announced. Check out how you can nab a key here.

Feel free to like us on Facebook, subscribe to the newsletter and drop us a line or two here.:)

Last edited:

CoS_Dorian

City of Steam Rep
If you haven't noticed yet, the server has been up for two days now. Click hereto join us.

If you want a key, grab one in this thread, or PM me for one.

Feel free to tell us what you think of the game.:)

CoS_Dorian

City of Steam Rep
Just so you know, CBT Season 1 (Springtide) has been wrapped up and CBT Season 2 (Summercrest) will be up at 7pm on Nov. 30th, PST (10pm EST) so be sure to check back then. Heaps of new contents/features/quests will be unlocked with an additional playable race (DWARVES!);)

Read the announcement here.

Last edited:

CoS_Dorian

City of Steam Rep
Hello, guys. Sorry for my absence on the forum for a couple of days. We have been so busy with collecting player feedback during CBT 2 (Summercrest) and such.

Just want to drop by and tell you guys that the Summercrest is now over and CBT 3 (Autumnwane) is coming on Dec. 14th, with even more contents unlocked in addition to a slew of fixes and updates. No data wipe has been planned for Autumnwane so far so you’ll be able to continue your journey in the game from what you left off in Summercrest.

Also, a big news has been announced on our site: WE ARE PHASING OUT THE DESIGN-AN-ITEM EXTRA FROM THE PARAGON PACK IN ANOTHER 24 HOURS FROM NOW (ON THE 5TH OF DECEMBER AT 11:59:59 PM)! We are very sorry to say that, since we are very close to the OBT and official release (in just a few months!), this won’t be available any more very soon, so get it while you can! Like…right now!

Here are three samples of what Paragons have helped design in City of Steam:

(The crazy deaths-head Engine Scimitar; Metal Head!)

(The sleek and powerful Rin Insomnia Rifle!)

(The Von Foust Industries designed Fist Shield!)

Seize your last opportunity to design your own item in the game for the following 24 hours!