• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need some help with my "new" computer!

Sarcyn

Hello,

I bought a new comp a few months ago and built it myself and I've been really satisfied so far, but:

I've been having alot of crashes lately and I can't understand why. Here is a common scenario:

I'm playing WoW and the comp just freeze up and an annoying "loop" of sounds start pounding in my earphones. When I reboot, the monistor says "No Video Input" and I usually have to wait a few mins before it goes back to normal and I can boot.
This has been happening alot lately and I thought I'd ask about it here.

My specs are:

AMD 64-bit Winchester 3200+
2x512 Corsair DDR RAM, 400Mhz
400W Power supply
MSI nForce4 K8N Platinum Mobo
Gainward GeForce 6600 GT, Golden Sample

I've tried resetting BIOS and getting new drivers but I'm at loss what to do?

Hope someone can help, thanks!

Processor Intel i7-8700k @ stock
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro iirc
Memory 16GB Corsair DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1070 FE
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500G NVMe
Display(s) 34" ASUS ROG PG348Q + 28" ASUS TUF Gaming VG289
Case NZXT
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard CoolerMaster Storm XT Stealth
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
What are the CPU and GPU temps when idle and just after playing a while of WoW or Doom3 or something that stresses the PC?

gerrynicol

System Name Home built
Processor Core i7-920 4.0Ghz
Motherboard Asus P6t OC
Cooling Akasa Nero
Memory 6GB G.Skill DDR3 PC3-1348Mhz
Video Card(s) XFX GTX 285 SLi
Storage 160GB, 250GB, 320GB
Display(s) 24" dell(1920X1200)
Case Coolermaster HAF
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Prelude, logitech Z5500
Power Supply Corsair HX 1K
Software 7 ultimate 64
What cooling do you have in the case?, like zaam is suggesting, it sounds like a temp problem.

Sarcyn

Thanks for the replies.

I have stock cooling on the CPU, never seen it go over 40C. I have 2x12cm Artic Cooling fans for getting air in and out. Then there is a small fan on mobo. In addition my power supply has a huge fan, making the inside of my comp really windy ^^

But, now that you ask, I have noticed when looking in BIOS, that the so called "System Fan" is going at about 1000 rpm, then going to 0, then up to 1000 again. Is that normal or could that be part of my problem?
I don't really know what they mean by "system fan" thou :S

Edit: Also stock cooling on my video card, which I've seen go up abit over 40 but never over 50C.

Processor Intel i7-8700k @ stock
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro iirc
Memory 16GB Corsair DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1070 FE
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500G NVMe
Display(s) 34" ASUS ROG PG348Q + 28" ASUS TUF Gaming VG289
Case NZXT
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard CoolerMaster Storm XT Stealth
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
What other fan readouts does it show in the BIOS? And is there any fans connected to the motherboard headers? Unless if it's the chipset fan, which might cause the chipset to overheat, although I haven't heard of many cases where that happens. You're not overclocking anything are you? And are the Golden Sample Gainwards not overclocked by default?? Not sure. What's your GPU core and clock frequency? And it seems like you have plenty airflow inside your case... Mmm. What's your motherboard temperature like? And make sure your fans are all facing the right way (front fans pull in and back fans blow out etc...) ;)

gerrynicol

System Name Home built
Processor Core i7-920 4.0Ghz
Motherboard Asus P6t OC
Cooling Akasa Nero
Memory 6GB G.Skill DDR3 PC3-1348Mhz
Video Card(s) XFX GTX 285 SLi
Storage 160GB, 250GB, 320GB
Display(s) 24" dell(1920X1200)
Case Coolermaster HAF
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Prelude, logitech Z5500
Power Supply Corsair HX 1K
Software 7 ultimate 64
yeah the goldens are oc'd by default, it does still sound likr a temp issue though Sarcyn, you should try recording temps when gaming or stressing your system, not sure wot program to use, anyone shed some light?

System Name death machine
Processor intel 6600 quad core cooled by scythe mutgen 2
Motherboard dfi lanparty UT P35-T2R
Cooling air
Memory crucial ballistic tracer 4 gb
Video Card(s) nvida 260 gtx
Storage segate baracuta 500 GB , western digital blue 1TB
Display(s) asus 23.6 vh242h
Case lian-li pc-a70 full tower
Power Supply 650 watt Antec Earth Watts
Software windows 7 and lots of other titles
how menny fans are in the case and how big is the case because a small case will suffer from heat but ir realy sounds like your gpu is over heating so try to get anothe fan and point it twards your vc and see if that helps hear is a good fan for stoping that
http://www.greenlyph.com/product_info.php?cPath=79&products_id=643 try somthing like that

^DR.Death^

Weigy104

Processor AMD Athlon 4200+ X2 939
Motherboard MSI K8N NEO2 Platinum
Cooling Arctic Silencer 4 and Gigabyte G-Power Pro
Memory 1GB DDR400 value crap :(
Video Card(s) X800 Pro Modded to XT via bios flash
Storage Seagate Baracuda 160GB & Samsung Spinpoint T 500GB :)
Display(s) ACER AL1751
Case Thermaltake Tsunami Dream :D
Audio Device(s) Creative Audigy 4
Power Supply Enermax Liberty 400W
Software Windows XP Pro SP2, Ubuntu, Windows 2k3
gerrynicol said:
yeah the goldens are oc'd by default, it does still sound likr a temp issue though Sarcyn, you should try recording temps when gaming or stressing your system, not sure wot program to use, anyone shed some light?

yeh you can use rivatuner to record your temps and voltages na dfan speeds in the background while you play a game or aomethin ;)

warluck

Your PSU wich brand it is ? Good brand or just another noname brand
with 500 watts delivering less than a good 300watts . Blow inside PSU .PSU act like a vacuum and lot of air pass trough :D

Last edited:

Sarcyn

I tried Rivatuner while gaming, and I saw the GPU temp. rise to about 60C, and that was after like 20 mins of gaming. So I'm thinking its maybe time to get a new fan for my 6600. Any recommendations?
I looked at the fan you posted Dr. Death, but I have a SLI board and I wanna be able to get somthing that fit onto the card itself since I might be picking another card up soon and need a solution for that one aswell.

As for how big my case is and how many fans I have: Its an ATX box, medium size and I would say pretty nice airflow. I have 5 fans all-in-all.
About the PSU, I looked at the package it came with and its a no-name brand. Althou it looks really solid with a large fan and a plastic exhaust pushing the air out of the case.
I've had NO problems uup until maybe 2 months ago when the comp started being like this, before that it has worked like a charm.

Hope I got all questions there, and thanks everyone for trying to help!

/Sarcyn

Edit: I read somewhere that some people have had problems with their 6600 GT's due to it getting too much power to its fan, I dunno if thats true but from what I can tell it might be right. Anyone else heard about that?
I really need to know since I was thinking of getting one more. Oh well, and feedback on this welcome.

Last edited:

warluck

Exactly, 350 watts '' good one '' for 6600gt ( specially AGP ) its the minimum they recommand ,i bought a 6600gt AGP for my son and i had to change the PSU too , lucky i found and 300 for me and 350 watts and if you think to add more components go bigger (more expensive for sure),( Check if the brand you buy have a website and go check the specs some 350 have an extra 50 watts Topower ) name like maxima ,solar max 420 watts don't work ,i got 2 of those '' small trick maybe not sure at100% ''old school you know '' go by weight ex: 3 or 4 pounds sound strange but work for me ask the seller if he got Legacy PSU in the backstore cheaper ,ok not nice like new with light and all , lolll .My old 250 watts almost do the job ,no trouble with Millennium but XP no way very strange .,seems to be a problem this those noname PSU they blinded us with big numbers but they dont deliver power :confused: hope that help . Good luck and let us know ;)

Sarcyn

Ok, this is the status: I reset my drivers to default, and removed some bad software that I *think* messed with my graphic settings. I did I serious run with Rivatuner and got max at 63-64 C, and thats not that bad imo. The strange thing is, no reboots or BSoD ever since!
I don't know exactly what turned the tide, but I'm sure happy is seems to be working now. My guess would be a software conflict and a prog I had that messed with bios settings + another prog which I used for setting mem/core.

As for the PSU, I know found a brand for it. Its www.fsb-group.com, 400W. It cost almost 70 euro, so I'm kinda counting on it not being thrash. Well, if it starts messing around again, I know where to ask for help!

Thanks to everyone for being so helpful. I love this place :)

/Sarcyn

warluck

Sarcyn said:
Ok, this is the status: I reset my drivers to default, and removed some bad software that I *think* messed with my graphic settings. I did I serious run with Rivatuner and got max at 63-64 C, and thats not that bad imo. The strange thing is, no reboots or BSoD ever since!
I don't know exactly what turned the tide, but I'm sure happy is seems to be working now. My guess would be a software conflict and a prog I had that messed with bios settings + another prog which I used for setting mem/core.

As for the PSU, I know found a brand for it. Its www.fsb-group.com, 400W. It cost almost 70 euro, so I'm kinda counting on it not being thrash. Well, if it starts messing around again, I know where to ask for help!

Thanks to everyone for being so helpful. I love this place :)

/Sarcyn
Try looking for ex: TOPOWER ,COOLER MASTER , ISO not to expensive too ((check for legacy ,not flashy but good )) i just bought on ebay for my son a RS-350 AMSR , 15.00 US and its great , never been used .Mine ISO 400D 300watts excellent (thumbs up for the seller! ask me what components i got in my pc ,go in the baskstore and told me thats wath you need ,i was sceptic another noname 40.00 $ CAD ,find the manufacturer (take a lot of time but i find it ) .If money not problem ok ,but it' s fun too when you find something cheaper and work like the Big BRAND name $$$$$.

for beginning ,test your psu who knows .
http://www.driverheaven.net/guides/testingPSU/
http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=137886

ex :http://www.topower.com/pwr_server.html
http://www.coolermaster.com
http://www.youngyear.com/store/inde...www.cwt.com.tw/english/1_about/0_overview.php
www.fsb-group.com almost dead .can t open the page ,HUM maybe the link :confused: