• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

European Commission sends Statement of Objections to Microsoft on Browser Compliance

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Whoops I'm in the wrong thread, I thought this was the "European Commission sends Statement of Objections to Microsoft on Browser Compliance" thread not the "TheMailMan78 and Benetanegia back and forth bitching thread" ??

No, you're correct. It is time to let others chime in this thread. Benetanegia and TheMailMan can take their personal conversation to PM's.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
Microsoft was obliged to make changes, chose to ignore this and will now be fined, seems simple enough to me.

and thankfully microsoft can appeal the decision. why are they only targeted. osx doesnt have to do it and neither do any of the linux/bsd operating systems.

In any event, I fail to see how Microsoft's fine will alleviate the situation in Ireland, Portugal, Spain, Greece or Italy, as America, Asia and several of their European partners (what we normally ambiguously refer to as "market forces") appear intent on ensuring that they do not overcome their present economic problems: in the free market, the misery of others is big business.

this whole sentence is a massive run-on. what is the frog in your avatar smoking? microsoft's fine won't alleviate the situation in the EU. that isn't the point. the point of ALL government is to force people or groups of people into complying with law regardless of whether it makes sense. that is for the courts to decide. so we have another case of a government body acting EXACTLY like a mob boss playing the extorsion game. not only will they tax your profits, they will tell you how you should generate income so that profit can be taxed. bring them all down.

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Motherboard Asrock Taichi X370
Cooling NH-C14, with the AM4 mounting kit
Memory G.Skill Kit 16GB DDR4 F4 - 3200 C16D - 16 GTZB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 480 OC 4 GB
Storage 1 Samsung NVMe 960 EVO 250 GB + 1 3.5" Seagate IronWolf Pro 6TB 7200RPM 256MB SATA III
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Case Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX 850M 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer Deathadder Elite
Software Ubuntu 19.04 LTS
and thankfully microsoft can appeal the decision. why are they only targeted. osx doesnt have to do it and neither do any of the linux/bsd operating systems.

this whole sentence is a massive run-on. what is the frog in your avatar smoking? microsoft's fine won't alleviate the situation in the EU. that isn't the point. the point of ALL government is to force people or groups of people into complying with law regardless of whether it makes sense. that is for the courts to decide. so we have another case of a government body acting EXACTLY like a mob boss playing the extorsion game. not only will they tax your profits, they will tell you how you should generate income so that profit can be taxed. bring them all down.

Because they don't have 95% of the market like Microsoft does.

In the position they are, they don't need to resort to these kind of tactics and have been warned against them, which apparently, they chose to ignore.

An example:

Dude D goes from country A to country B and commits a crime there: should he be punished from country A laws or country B laws?

Furthermore: what if in country A it's not a crime but in country B it is (which seems more appropriate here)?

If a company want's to do business in other countries, it must make sure it abides by their laws. Microsoft has been warned and chose to ignore it.

Regardless of whether you agree with said law or not, the law is the law and you can't ignore it just because you don't agree with it. If you do, there are consequences.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
Because they don't have 95% of the market like Microsoft does.

In the position they are, they don't need to resort to these kind of tactics and have been warned against them, which apparently, they chose to ignore.

An example:

Dude D goes from country A to country B and commits a crime there: should he be punished from country A laws or country B laws?

Furthermore: what if in country A it's not a crime but in country B it is (which seems more appropriate here)?

If a company want's to do business in other countries, it must make sure it abides by their laws. Microsoft has been warned and chose to ignore it.

Regardless of whether you agree with said law or not, the law is the law and you can't ignore it just because you don't agree with it. If you do, there are consequences.

in case you havn't been paying attention both apple and android are destroying microsoft in the mobile market and guess which browsers they don't include...

System Name Aluminum Mallard
Processor Ryzen 1900x
Motherboard AsRock Phantom 6
Cooling AIO
Memory 8GB
Video Card(s) ASUS Strix 1080Ti
Storage SSD
Display(s) Benq Zowie
Case Cosmos 1000
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Corsair CX750
Software Win10 Home
Benchmark Scores 31 FPS in Dalaran.
I've said it before. All EU SKU's of Windows should no ship with no browser at all.

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Storage 1 Samsung NVMe 960 EVO 250 GB + 1 3.5" Seagate IronWolf Pro 6TB 7200RPM 256MB SATA III
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Audio Device(s) Onboard
in case you havn't been paying attention both apple and android are destroying microsoft in the mobile market and guess which browsers they don't include...

Well: in case you haven't been paying attention, 2 companies can't have a monopoly.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
Well: in case you haven't been paying attention, 2 companies can't have a monopoly.

duopolies are just as bad. if you are concerned about companies locking you into a specific browser than you need to complain about apple and android. hell, they are using the same tactics microsoft used to increase their market share.

System Name Ultrabeast GX2
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 @ 4.0GHZ 24/7
Motherboard Gigabit P35-DS3L
Cooling Rosewill RX24, Dual Slot Vid, Fan control
Memory 2x1gb 1066mhz@850MHZ DDR2
Video Card(s) 9800GX2 @ 690/1040
Storage 750/250/250/200 all WD 7200
Display(s) 24" DCLCD 2ms 1200p
Case Apevia
Audio Device(s) 7.1 Digital on-board, 5.1 digital hooked up
Power Supply 700W RAIDMAXXX SLI
Software winXP Pro
Benchmark Scores 17749 3DM06
Because economy != government. There's more to it. (I know you can't visualize this concept)
Second amendment would be a good place to start, but it's not related to this topic and I know it will enrage many people, so... just ignore.

I don't see how this could ever be misconstrued: Everyone has the right to hang a pair of bear arms in their living room.

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Audio Device(s) Onboard
duopolies are just as bad. if you are concerned about companies locking you into a specific browser than you need to complain about apple and android. hell, they are using the same tactics microsoft used to increase their market share.

Though i agree with the premise, it's not against the law (for now) and, as such, there's nothing that can be done until laws are changed to encompass this kind of behavior be that behavior from 1, 2, 10 or more companies.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
Though i agree with the premise, it's not against the law (for now) and, as such, there's nothing that can be done until laws are changed to encompass this kind of behavior be that behavior from 1, 2, 10 or more companies.

well i agree with you. companies should be competing and it is the governments job to make reasonable rules that creates an environment for new companies to come in and compete with new ideas. however that is not what the eu govt body is setting out to do. by targeting microsoft alone they are ignoring the much bigger issue and instead going for the easy prey. if they truly cared about monopolistic behavior they would revamp the laws and stop cohorting with their friends in those competing companies.

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Audio Device(s) Onboard
well i agree with you. companies should be competing and it is the governments job to make reasonable rules that creates an environment for new companies to come in and compete with new ideas. however that is not what the eu govt body is setting out to do. by targeting microsoft alone they are ignoring the much bigger issue and instead going for the easy prey. if they truly cared about monopolistic behavior they would revamp the laws and stop cohorting with their friends in those competing companies.

EU is going after Microsoft right now not because they are easy prey but because, under the current law, the have the right to do so. Furthermore: they have been warned this would happen and they chose to ignore the warning.

EU doesn't really have laws to effectively tackle this sort of thing and they "think" it's OK as it is: wrong, IMO.

Have you ever heard of a case where a burglar was robbing a place, the police comes while the burglar is still robbing the place and they say something like this: "If you continue to rob this place you'll have to pay the price"?

You don't do you?

The only scenario where i could see the warning part being needed (companies) is when a law change is implemented in a way where before was legal and after it's not: if there are other such scenarios, then i dunno. Is this what happened in this case? Dunno either.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
EU is going after Microsoft right now not because they are easy prey but because, under the current law, the have the right to do so. Furthermore: they have been warned this would happen and they chose to ignore the warning.

EU doesn't really have laws to effectively tackle this sort of thing and they "think" it's OK as it is: wrong, IMO.

Have you ever heard of a case where a burglar was robbing a place, the police comes while the burglar is still robbing the place and they say something like this: "If you continue to rob this place you'll have to pay the price"?

You don't do you?

The only scenario where i could see the warning part being needed (companies) is when a law change is implemented in a way where before was legal and after it's not: if there are other such scenarios, then i dunno. Is this what happened in this case? Dunno either.

i disagree. the EU created a bad law to begin with before the mobile market exploded. microsoft's monopoly was never a problem as we see now with apple and android dominating the mobile market. the EU are a bunch of shakedown artists that do not care about the consumer. they only care about lining their pockets which is why they created the terrible law in the first place.

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Audio Device(s) Onboard
i disagree. the EU created a bad law to begin with before the mobile market exploded. microsoft's monopoly was never a problem as we see now with apple and android dominating the mobile market. the EU are a bunch of shakedown artists that do not care about the consumer. they only care about lining their pockets which is why they created the terrible law in the first place.

You have a key word in that sentence: "before".

Does that make it OK? IMO, no it doesn't. Should they've upgraded the law by now? Absolutely. Whether they haven't done it by now because of shady interests, lack of interest, other cause, dunno :(

I don't really know when the law Microsoft's infringing was created but, as i said in a previous post, the law is the law and you can't break it just because you disagree with it: there will be consequences if you do.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
Bah, no need to explain it. If you know one thing about Americans, we don't really care about how the rest of the world "feels" about us. We're the best. The more I look into these objections from the EU, the more they look like the mafia. Just like the government in the US. Fascinating!

OMG!!

System Name Custom Built
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus PRIME A520M-A
Cooling Stock heatsink/fan
Memory 16GB 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400MHz
Video Card(s) MSI 1050Ti 4GB
Storage KINGSTON SNVS250G 256GB M.2 + 2 data disks
Display(s) Dell S2421NX
Case Aerocool CS103
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Power Supply Seasonic M12II-520 EVO
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Comparing iOS and Android refering to browsers here??

As far as I understand iOS doesn't allow full browsers with different rendering engines besides the built-in one (Webkit which is mainly made by Appl€), while Android allows Firefox Mobile (Gecko) Opera Mobile (Presto), Dolphin Beta (modified Webkit engine that doesn't use evil CSS prefixes) besides the built in Webkit one. And it's very bad for Web standards, openness and innovation if only a single rendering engine dominates the market (ah... IE6 times) doesn't matter Webkit is cross-platform and open source blah blah.

Appl€ should get a call because of this. At least Windows (and Mac OS) and any mobile OS except iOS allow full third party browsers.

Last edited:
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
Yeah, I think Apple and Google are worst than MS is the browser market. Seriously. But Apple is by faar, not only for browser, but for other apps as well. I wouldn't be surprise if the EU will go after them soon...