• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Nvidia Geforce 630m GPU throttling on Acer Aspire V3-571g

neorazvan

Hello guys, I have a problem with my new notebook that I bought. It's an Acer Aspire v3-571g with the following configuration: Intel Core i3 2350 2,3 Ghz, Nvidia Geforce 630m 2 GB dedicated, 4 GB of RAM.

The problem manifests in the following way: When the temperature reaches 75 degrees Celsius, the GPU throttles from 797 Mhz (normal frequency when on charger) to 118 Mhz for a few seconds and then to 475 Mhz. This kinda sucks because I encounter huge shuttering in games just after 2 minutes or so of playing. It just keeps going from a frequency to another all the time. Sent it to the service, they've changed the cooling system, but the problem still occurs. The tech guy from the Acer authorized service who "fixed" it told me this kind of behaviour is NORMAL. I don't think this is normal. Practically, the dedicated graphics are unusable this way! Is there any way that I can stop the throttling from occuring? It's really annoying!

From what I read all over the internet, the VGA BIOS is responsable for this throttling. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

System Name PATATAS-3XTR3M3
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Phanteks Glacier One 240MP
Memory 32gb (16x2) G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Asus ROG STRIX RTX 3080 Ti UV:850@1850
Storage Boot Drive: ADATA XPG SX6000 256gb, Storage Drive: 1TB Samsung 980 x2
Display(s) Lenovo G27Q-20
Case Lian Li O11D Mini
Audio Device(s) Samson SR850 connected to a Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Logitech G Pro X Superlight
Keyboard Akko MOD006, Durock POMS
Have you tried checking the fans? or heatsinks?

I had the same case with you and I thought it was crappy bios/drivers/etc. Turns out my sister's laptop just had a lot of dust in it.

Try cleaning the the fans of your laptop and check again afterwards (although I won't do this if it's still under warranty)

EDIT: I forgot about reading the part where you sent it back. So maybe it's just Nvidia Optmus acting up. Open in Nvidia control panel and set any app you want to use the Nvidia GPU ( don't use the recommended option)

OR you could try underclocking....

Processor Intel Core i5 12400F Alder Lake Hex-Core Processor @ 2.5 GHz
Motherboard Asrock B760M Pro RS/D4
Cooling Thermalright Assassin 120X Refined SE
Memory 16GB DDR4 2666MHz Dual Channel Corsair Vengeance LPX
Video Card(s) Asus RTX2060-DUAL-O6G EVO (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060)
Storage 1TB Samsung PM9A1 NVMe + 500GB Crucial P3 NVMe + 2TB WD Black P10 External HDD
Display(s) Asus VG278Q TN Full HD 144Hz Gaming Monitor
Case MSI MAG Shield 110R
Audio Device(s) Logitech G Pro X Wireless Gaming Headset
Power Supply CoolerMaster MWE Bronze v2 450W
Mouse Razer Viper V3 Hyperspeed w/ Hyperpolling Dongle + Razer Deathadder V3 Wired
Keyboard VGN VXE ATK68 Gateron Mechanical Hall-Effect| Monka 3075 V2 Pro Cherry Powder
Software Ghost Spectre W11 23H2
Oh lol, same situation here :p

neorazvan

I know for sure that it runs on Nvidia dedicated graphics card because I've tried running Far Cry 2 in windowed mode on 1280x720 resolution and Gpu-Z by it and when shuttering occurs the GPU frequency goes to 118 Mhz and then to 475 Mhz and there it remains for a few minutes. I don't know what's wrong and why Acer set the throttling temperature to just 75 degrees Celsius for this GPU??! This GPU's are designed to run at preety much higher temperatures (85-90 degrees Celsius). Any suggestions on how can I disable throttling on this GPU? The heatsinks are clean, the notebook arrived from service yesterday.

Storage 1TB Samsung PM9A1 NVMe + 500GB Crucial P3 NVMe + 2TB WD Black P10 External HDD
Case MSI MAG Shield 110R
Mouse Razer Viper V3 Hyperspeed w/ Hyperpolling Dongle + Razer Deathadder V3 Wired
Keyboard VGN VXE ATK68 Gateron Mechanical Hall-Effect| Monka 3075 V2 Pro Cherry Powder
I'm actually thinking about changing the BIOS, too. This is actually quite annoying

neorazvan

Tried that. The VGA BIOS is integrated in the main BIOS. Managed to extract the VGA BIOS from the main BIOS using Phoenix Tools, but Nibitor doesn't support 630m yet. I ask someone who has some knowledge in this domain: Can we get a VGA BIOS for 630m from another vendor (such as Asus) that doesn't have throttling at this temperature and flash it? Would it work?

Case MSI MAG Shield 110R
Same question here. Will be waiting for any further informations

neorazvan

Do you have the same notebook model? Does anyone know how we can contact Acer requesting a BIOS update to fix this issue?

Answer received from Acer Support: (well, that kinda' sucks!)

<code>Recently you requested personal assistance from our on-line support
centre. Below is a summary of your request and our response.

If this issue is not resolved to your satisfaction, you may reopen it
within the next 30 days.

Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

To access your question from our support site, click the following
link or paste it into your web browser.
http://acer--uk.custhelp.com/app/account/questions/detail/i_id/3210172

Subject
---------------------------------------------------------------
gpu throttling

Discussion Thread
Response Via Email(Brindhavan) - 30/10/2012 01.24 PM
Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting Acer UK.

We apologize for the delay in responding to your e-mail.

We understand your concern and regret the inconvenience caused to you.

We would not recommend flashing the BIOS due to the inherent risk of rendering your machine inoperable.

Updated BIOS versions are made available when they offer a substantial advantage over the original installed one, or to fix specific problems reported with the original version. This means that for some products, only the original versions are available.

While newer versions may be available from other sources, Acer can not offer support on their installation or use, nor specify whether they will work properly with Acer products.

We do not provide instructions on how to update/install BIOS, as it requires experts supervision. We request you to contact a local technician, who may assist you further.

For further assistance please do not hesitate to e-mail or contact us on 0871 760 1000 (UK), 0818 202 210 (Eire).

Regards
Brindhavan M
Agent ID 1346
Acer UK Online Technical Support Team

Auto-Response - 25/10/2012 11.41 PM
The following answers might help you immediately. The answers will be opened in a separate window.

Title: Drive Capacity
Link: http://acer--uk.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3107

Title: Updating the BIOS
Link: http://acer--uk.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17678

Title: Configuring the BIOS
Link: http://acer--uk.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5762

Title: How to determine the BIOS version
Link: http://acer--uk.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16135

Title: Windows 8 does not recognize bootable media
Link: http://acer--uk.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26603

Customer By Web Form - 25/10/2012 11.41 PM
Hello! I have a weird problem with my Acer Aspire v3-571g with the following configuration: i3 2350, 630m 2 gb, 4 gb ram, 500 gb hdd. The dedicated graphics from what I see are not functioning corectlly in my opinion. The GPU seems to throttle in gaming at 75 degrees Celsius from 797 Mhz to a lower frequency (118 Mhz), then it stays at 475 Mhz. These GPU's are designed to support higher temperatures (85+ degrees Celsius), but I don't understand why it throttles at 75 degrees! Played on another Acer notebook with 540m and no throttling occurs, even after 75 degrees. Sent the notebook to service, they've changed the cooling system, but the problem still occurs. It's kind of frustrating that buying a new notebook creates so much problems! From what I've understood from the tech engineer
from "Sama Bit" (authorized Acer service in Romania) the problem is that the video BIOS is set to throttle at 75 degrees and nothing can be done. That's kind of weird and frustrating right??! With this e-mail I ask for a BIOS update for my Acer v3-571g that will fix this problem and set throttle to a more higher temperature, such as 85 degrees. Any modern GPU's run at more than 75 degrees when loaded! And I almost forgot.. It reaches 75 degrees Celsius in less than 5 minutes of gaming (World of Warcraft - medium details!) and then shutters a lot. Tried a bunch of other games and same problem. So please, can you guys post a good BIOS update to solve this issue. Thanks in advance! Waiting for an answer!

Question Reference #121026-000703
Product Level 1: Notebook
Product Level 2: Aspire
Category Level 1: Malfunctioning
Category Level 2: Other
Date Created: 25/10/2012 11.41 PM
Last Updated: 30/10/2012 01.24 PM
Answer Feedback Type:</code>

Last edited:
Case MSI MAG Shield 110R
Hey man. Got some good news for ya
Go to Acer's website, then the Support section, download the latest BIOS file for your laptop model, run that .exe file, make sure you do exactly what it said. I've just updated mine, no more throttling in the GPU, a steady 797 MHz Turbo Boost GPU

neorazvan

Do you have the same notebook model? Does anyone know how we can contact Acer requesting a BIOS update to fix this issue?

Answer received from Acer Support: (well, that kinda' sucks!)

Recently you requested personal assistance from our on-line support
centre. Below is a summary of your request and our response.

If this issue is not resolved to your satisfaction, you may reopen it
within the next 30 days.

Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

To access your question from our support site, click the following
link or paste it into your web browser.
http://acer--uk.custhelp.com/app/account/questions/detail/i_id/3210172

Subject
gpu throttling

Discussion Thread
Response Via Email(Brindhavan) - 30/10/2012 01.24 PM
Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting Acer UK.

We apologize for the delay in responding to your e-mail.

We understand your concern and regret the inconvenience caused to you.

We would not recommend flashing the BIOS due to the inherent risk of rendering your machine inoperable.

Updated BIOS versions are made available when they offer a substantial advantage over the original installed one, or to fix specific problems reported with the original version. This means that for some products, only the original versions are available.

While newer versions may be available from other sources, Acer can not offer support on their installation or use, nor specify whether they will work properly with Acer products.

We do not provide instructions on how to update/install BIOS, as it requires experts supervision. We request you to contact a local technician, who may assist you further.

For further assistance please do not hesitate to e-mail or contact us on 0871 760 1000 (UK), 0818 202 210 (Eire).

Regards
Brindhavan M
Agent ID 1346
Acer UK Online Technical Support Team

Auto-Response - 25/10/2012 11.41 PM
The following answers might help you immediately. The answers will be opened in a separate window.

Title: Drive Capacity
Link: http://acer--uk.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3107

Title: Updating the BIOS
Link: http://acer--uk.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17678

Title: Configuring the BIOS
Link: http://acer--uk.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5762

Title: How to determine the BIOS version
Link: http://acer--uk.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16135

Title: Windows 8 does not recognize bootable media
Link: http://acer--uk.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26603

Customer By Web Form - 25/10/2012 11.41 PM
Hello! I have a weird problem with my Acer Aspire v3-571g with the following configuration: i3 2350, 630m 2 gb, 4 gb ram, 500 gb hdd. The dedicated graphics from what I see are not functioning corectlly in my opinion. The GPU seems to throttle in gaming at 75 degrees Celsius from 797 Mhz to a lower frequency (118 Mhz), then it stays at 475 Mhz. These GPU's are designed to support higher temperatures (85+ degrees Celsius), but I don't understand why it throttles at 75 degrees! Played on another Acer notebook with 540m and no throttling occurs, even after 75 degrees. Sent the notebook to service, they've changed the cooling system, but the problem still occurs. It's kind of frustrating that buying a new notebook creates so much problems! From what I've understood from the tech engineer
from "Sama Bit" (authorized Acer service in Romania) the problem is that the video BIOS is set to throttle at 75 degrees and nothing can be done. That's kind of weird and frustrating right??! With this e-mail I ask for a BIOS update for my Acer v3-571g that will fix this problem and set throttle to a more higher temperature, such as 85 degrees. Any modern GPU's run at more than 75 degrees when loaded! And I almost forgot.. It reaches 75 degrees Celsius in less than 5 minutes of gaming (World of Warcraft - medium details!) and then shutters a lot. Tried a bunch of other games and same problem. So please, can you guys post a good BIOS update to solve this issue. Thanks in advance! Waiting for an answer!

Question Reference #121026-000703
Product Level 1: Notebook
Product Level 2: Aspire
Category Level 1: Malfunctioning
Category Level 2: Other
Date Created: 25/10/2012 11.41 PM
Last Updated: 30/10/2012 01.24 PM
Answer Feedback Type:</code>

Case MSI MAG Shield 110R
There you go, just update the new BIOS. It worked wonderfully for me

neorazvan

Already have the latest BIOS, I've always had. What BIOS version did you update to? Did it fix GPU throttling?

Case MSI MAG Shield 110R
1.13, fixed wonderfully :)
Stayed at a strong 797MHz Turbo Frequency :p

Case MSI MAG Shield 110R
About 73 degrees, absolute highest I've noticed through MSI Afterburner after a race in NFS Hot Pursuit
I guess I'll run again then post the screenshot for ya then

neorazvan

Can you please try a Furmark and post a screenshoot after about 5 minutes of running it?

Case MSI MAG Shield 110R
Furmark ? Ok then

UPDATE: Well after all the GPU still throttle down at some points, but not as much as before I updated the BIOS, and yeah, my FPS is getting better than before I update it.

neorazvan

I know, it really sucks. If I can't fix it, I will ask for my money back at the place we're you bought it.

Case MSI MAG Shield 110R
Bought it from one of local city's computer store, I'm from Viet Nam btw
Well after 4 mins of Furmark, highest temp is 76 degrees, 475 MHz GPU Core. I actually noticed a funny thing, when I started Furmark, the GPU Clock Speed jumps up 797 then down to 111 then jumps right back to 475 MHz like instantly, then it stays 475 MHz in the rest of the benchmark

neorazvan

Yeah I have the same kind of problem, but the frequencies don't evolve that way. Mine throttles at 118 Mhz at 75 degrees for 1-2 sec and then remains at 475 Mhz. This is the last time I am buying an Acer product!

Case MSI MAG Shield 110R
Well the thing is Acer's product is not that well-made for heavy tasking jobs like gaming, etc, ... it's for multimedia purpose and stuff like that. It's quite cheap though, since I'm running low on budget so yeah, have to use this one
At least my FPS in-game is better than before, that makes me happy enough :D

neorazvan

I'm not quite that happy. I'm not using this notebook as primary for gaming, I have a better gaming rig than this. I am just using it on a casul basis with some lite gaming such as World of Warcraft and it still shutters. Done some research, found nothing about the ability to use a VGA BIOS from other vendor than Acer. So please, can anyone tell us if we can flash a VGA BIOS from other vendor than Acer for the 630m?

I found the solution !!
Just download RW Everything, go to Embedded Controller (EC icon), and change the value like in this picture.
I found this for my laptop (Acer Aspire V3-571G-32374G50Makk) and that work pretty well !!

I can now reach the 75° limit without any throttle, and keep my max GPU frequency (800MHz) !

/!\ It work for my laptop, but do it at your own risk ! /!\

You must do that after every restart of the computer.

System Name Main Rig
Processor Athlon 5350
Motherboard AsRock mITX
Memory 4gb
Storage 120gb Kingston HyperX SSD
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster 740N
Power Supply Corsair 430 watt
OP, you have a poorly designed laptop. There isn't much you can do about that other than to make sure you keep it free of dust/dirt and maybe get a decent laptop cooling fan/stand. If you override the GPU's throttle down routine in some fashion, you will likely greatly shorten its lifespan.

OP, you have a poorly designed laptop. There isn't much you can do about that other than to make sure you keep it free of dust/dirt and maybe get a decent laptop cooling fan/stand. If you override the GPU's throttle down routine in some fashion, you will likely greatly shorten its lifespan.

I change the thermal paste, and replacing it by some Artic MX5. I also clean the fan, set the fans to 100%, and use a cooling pad.
The CPU temps never reach 75°, and the GPU 80° after 2-3 hours of gaming.

I think that not too hot for a laptop. I see so many laptop at 95° CPU/GPU on gaming, so...