• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sony PlayStation 4 "Orbis" Kits Shipping to Developers, Powered by AMD A10 APU

Processor Intel Core i3-2100
Motherboard Gigabyte H61M S2V
Cooling Intel Stock HSF
Memory 2x2GB Kingston DDR3 1333
Video Card(s) Power Color HD 4830 1GB DDR3
Case CM Elite 371
Audio Device(s) Onboard (Realtek)
Power Supply Thermaltake TR2 500w
Software Windows 7 HP 32 bit
298 posts and yet no intel fanboys bashing the amd article. Go TPU! :toast:

I have a bad feeling about using hybrid crossfire on a console though, even if they optimize it, that's still an extra piece of hardware that could cause problems.

System Name SIGSEGV
Processor INTEL i7-7700K | AMD Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard QUANTA | ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
Cooling Air cooling 4 heatpipes | Corsair H115i | Noctua NF-A14 IndustrialPPC Fan 3000RPM
Memory Micron 16 Gb DDR4 2400 | GSkill Ripjaws 32Gb DDR4 3200 3400(OC) 14-14-14-34 @1.38v
Video Card(s) Nvidia 1060 6GB | Gigabyte 1080Ti Aorus
Storage 1TB 7200/256 SSD PCIE | ~ TB | 970 Evo
Display(s) 15,5" / 27"
Case Black & Grey | Phanteks P400S
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Power Supply Li Battery | Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
Mouse g402
Keyboard Leopold|Ducky
Software LinuxMint KDE |UBUNTU | Windows 10 PRO
Benchmark Scores i dont care about scores
If the specs has been changed and the console came with a high-end or even a medium AMD GPU , then the situation will be different .

seriously, are you kidding me? :laugh:
i think, you should open your console machine cover then move and place your high end GPU along with intel 6 cores, high end mobo, and also your 32GB rams inside your console box. :rockout:

FACT 7 : PCs will maintain a higher visual quality and frame rates , consoles will have the graphics of a two years old PCs .

...and many of pc games are ported from console games.

lyndonguitar

I play games
System Name X6 | Lyndon-ROG
Processor Intel Core i7-8700k | Intel Core i7 6700HQ
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 5 | Asus ROG-GL552VX
Cooling Deepcool Captain 240EX
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LED | 8 GB
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GTX 1080 8 GB GDDR5X | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M 4GB
Storage SSDs: 500GB, HDDs: 2TB, 2TB, 3TB | SSD: 250GB, HDD: 1TB
Display(s) Samsung 49" CHG90 3840x1080@144Hz, Panasonic 32" HDTV, | 15.6"1080p
Case Cougar Panzer Max
Audio Device(s) HyperX Cloud II | Corsair Gaming H1500 7.1 | ROCCAT Kave 5.1 | Edifier M3200
Power Supply EVGA 750GQ
Mouse Logitech G403 | Razer Deathadder Chroma | Logitech G302 | Mad Catz Cyborg R.A.T. 5
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Red
Software Windows 10
(SIGH)

This thread is full of ignorant people making false and misguided statements all along , the only people here with brains are : Benetanegia and BigMack70 .

First you morons need to read some facts , here they are :\

FACT 1 : Not even High-End PCs can sustain 60FPS @1080p in demanding games with maximum graphics , games like : Metro 2033 , ARMA 3 , Crysis , Dragon Age 2 and many many more , there will be drops below 60FPS and in many occasions .

In many occasions yes, But AVERAGE is what matters bro. a few 50 fps in couple of miliseconds doesnt matter

FACT 2 : Consoles include insane amount of code optimization , where every CPU/GPU cycle is utilized , they literally run on the machine code , which is the lowest language of software programming , contrary to the PC that sports many compilers and higher languages which wastes valuable cycles .

You said it yourself, Heavy Optimization, Which is why Consoles from 2005 are able to run today's games. same reason why a Console in 2013(PS4) will be able to run games up to 2020 or so.

FACT 3 : Even with these optimizations, consoles run with shitty graphics . they cant even maintain 30 FPS at 720p , they usually drop to 25 and 20 FPS , they even run at sub 1280x720 resolutions , sometimes as low as 900x600 !

Because they are pushing the console to its limit by trying to play a game on a 7 year old machine. but still looks decent for CONSOLE gamers to play

FACT 4 : Consoles cut down on graphics severely , they decrease Shadows density , Lighting Effects , Level Of Detail , Polygon Count , Alpha Effects , Texture Resolution , Texture Filtering , Anti-Aliasing , Post Processing and so many things that I can't even remember them all .

Not severely, Almost all games in consoles are the low-medium graphics counterparts of their PC versions. High/Ultra is just additional eye candy benefit for PC users. but most PC players mostly aim for pure performance and flexibility.

FACT 5 : a console with the triple specs of,
1-AMD CPU
2-AMD APU
3-AMD GPU (low-end/6670)

Will barely run today games at 1080p @60 FPS with PC graphics level , all of the code optimizations will be spent on the cost of resolution increase (to 1080p) and the cost of graphics increase (to PC level) , such as shadows , lighting , textures and etc .

If the specs has been changed and the console came with a high-end or even a medium AMD GPU , then the situation will be different .

you said it yourself again, "PC graphics level", This is a console bro, and Its not running PC graphics level, include all the heavy optimizations and the huge possibility of mid-range AMD GPU, as with PS3's midrange GPU. and you can do 1080p @60fps average

FACT 6 : These consoles will have to do the usual dirty business to be able to run at 1080p , cut resolution and upscale , decrease all graphics elements (lighting and shadows and textures .. etc) below the future PC level .. This happened to the previous generation too , Xbox and PS 3 stared operating at 720p just fine , then they had to cut corners to increase graphics other wise the visuals will stall .

Again this is a console, don't expect it to be PC God like performance, If you want that, Buy a PC, they never said the graphics to be similar to PCs, they only said 1080p @60FPS

FACT 7 : PCs will maintain a higher visual quality and frame rates , consoles will have the graphics of a two years old PCs .

End of Discussion .

uhmm Nobody said that Consoles "will maintain a higher visual quality and frame rates" than PCs, End of Discussion???

Trololololol

Processor Intel Core i3-2100 @ 3.1 GHz
Motherboard Asus P8H61-M LX (B3)
Cooling Intel stock HSF
Memory 2x 4GB Kingston DDR3 @ 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Radeon HD 6750 OC
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 3
Display(s) HP W2072a 20"
Case Cooler Master Elite 430 Black
Audio Device(s) Integrated (Realtek ALC887)
Power Supply Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 500W
Software Windows 7 Home Premium x64

You ask for it.

AMD sucks balls, Intel is million times better. :rockout: They should just burned to the ground, what a waste of human resources. Don't get me started on their shite GPU. :mad:

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

lyndonguitar

I play games
Case Cougar Panzer Max
Audio Device(s) HyperX Cloud II | Corsair Gaming H1500 7.1 | ROCCAT Kave 5.1 | Edifier M3200
Power Supply EVGA 750GQ
Mouse Logitech G403 | Razer Deathadder Chroma | Logitech G302 | Mad Catz Cyborg R.A.T. 5
Software Windows 10
You ask for it.

AMD sucks balls, Intel is million times better. :rockout: They should just burned to the ground, what a waste of human resources. Don't get me started on their shite GPU. :mad:

says the Radeon User

Processor Intel i7-10700k
Motherboard Gigabyte Aurorus Ultra z490
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200MHz
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming Trio X 3070 LHR
Display(s) ASUS MG278Q / AOC G2590FX
Case Corsair X4000 iCue
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM650x 650W Fully Modular
Software Windows 10
@lyndonguitar

I wouldn't say Average frame rate is all that matters. FPS dips will affect gameplay way more than adjusting the LoD so its just a tad better at the cost of some visual affects. Say you have 2 situations, one where a certain game--say Modern Warfare 4--can run at 1080p with an average of 60fps, but it drops down as low as 30fps. Now compare that to the same game running at the same resultion but it average 55 fps, and never drops below 50fps, the only difference is they removed a particular lighting effect. On a console the second option will be more enjoyable because you'll get a more constant frame rate, despite having a lower average frame rate.

As for console optimization, you're kind of blurring the perception a bit. The most demanding and well optimized console games render at 720p at about 29-30 fps, with the equivalent of low\medium settings and almost no anti-aliasing. They look decent by most peoples standards, but hitting the bar isn't that hard. You could accomplish that on same title with a mediocre PC (with none of that optimization) akin to a C2D and HD4870 GPU. Hell, you could probably do a decent amount better.

You have to realize rendering stuff at 540p and 720p really gives a lot of wiggle room. I think the biggest bottleneck with current gen consoles is actually in the RAM department. Imagine making a game that can only access 256MB of system memory (PS3), and see how well it runs. I think we have to keep things in perspective. The APU's GPU is capable of running modern PC games at medium settings at 1080p with moderate amounts of AA, and still posting 20-30fps. That's really not bad. When you throw a 6670 in the mix it only gets better. The question will always be quality. They could use that setup and render a single textured cube spinning at 1080p at 60fps and their statements would be accurate, but people want a game that hits those settings and still looks good.

System Name Xeon build X58 / Main Rig X79
Processor Intel Xeon x5650 @ 4.2Ghz with HT / Xeon E5 1650 v2 @4.5Ghz
Motherboard Asus Rampage II Extreme socket 1366 / Asus P9X79 Pro socket 2011
Cooling Thermalright Archon +Ty 140mm|Fans : 2 front-1top-1rear-1bottom/ Gelid Phantom Twin Tower
Memory 16gb DDR3 1600mhz Kingstone Hyper x Quad Channel / 16gb DDR3 1600MHZ Patriot Viper 3
Video Card(s) Sapphire hd 7950 3gb Boost edition dual fan X / ZOTAC 1080 Ti Blower Edition
Storage Kingstone AV400ssd 120gb+Seagate B 2Tb+WD g 1tb+WD g 3tb+WD r 3tb+Seagate B 4tb+Lexar 2Tb NVMe
Display(s) AOC E2460S 24" 1080p 60hz 1ms / LG 32UK550B 32" UHD 4K HDR 10 with Freesync
Case Enermax Phoenix / Fractal Design Arc midi
Audio Device(s) SoundMaxHD+5.1 BHT1100 BLUESKY,Fiio E10 Olympus+SuperluxHD668b+KZ HBB pr2,Superlux E205.
Power Supply Sharkoon WPM Gold Zero 650W semi modular / Corsair RM 850 Fully Modular
Mouse Generic Mice / Corsair M90
Keyboard Generic Keyboard / Microsoft WK600
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 /Windows 10 Pro 64
@lyndonguitar

I wouldn't say Average frame rate is all that matters. FPS dips will affect gameplay way more than adjusting the LoD so its just a tad better at the cost of some visual affects. Say you have 2 situations, one where a certain game--say Modern Warfare 4--can run at 1080p with an average of 60fps, but it drops down as low as 30fps. Now compare that to the same game running at the same resultion but it average 55 fps, and never drops below 50fps, the only difference is they removed a particular lighting effect. On a console the second option will be more enjoyable because you'll get a more constant frame rate, despite having a lower average frame rate.

As for console optimization, you're kind of blurring the perception a bit. The most demanding and well optimized console games render at 720p at about 29-30 fps, with the equivalent of low\medium settings and almost no anti-aliasing. They look decent by most peoples standards, but hitting the bar isn't that hard. You could accomplish that on same title with a mediocre PC (with none of that optimization) akin to a C2D and HD4870 GPU. Hell, you could probably do a decent amount better.

You have to realize rendering stuff at 540p and 720p really gives a lot of wiggle room. I think the biggest bottleneck with current gen consoles is actually in the RAM department. Imagine making a game that can only access 256MB of system memory (PS3), and see how well it runs. I think we have to keep things in perspective. The APU's GPU is capable of running modern PC games at medium settings at 1080p with moderate amounts of AA, and still posting 20-30fps. That's really not bad. When you throw a 6670 in the mix it only gets better. The question will always be quality. They could use that setup and render a single textured cube spinning at 1080p at 60fps and their statements would be accurate, but people want a game that hits those settings and still looks good.

this seems a marketing move to tell we give you 60 fps at 1920 x 1080 when most of the console gamers dont know nothing about fps and punt money on something wortless than a pc.
If they comes out with a system with high performance in EVERYGAME at high settings or ultra is good but they dont have to give the same FAKE NEW TECNOLOGY of ps3 for steal money from idiots with the excuse of the bluray .
This is very sad and we pc gamers brings again porting with shit graphics and unoptimized like gta 4 and others.
Now will see .

System Name My baby
Processor Athlon II X4 620 @ 3.5GHz, 1.45v, NB @ 2700Mhz, HT @ 2700Mhz - 24hr prime95 stable
Motherboard Asus M4A785TD-V EVO
Cooling Sonic Tower Rev 2 with 120mm Akasa attached, Akasa @ Front, Xilence Red Wing 120mm @ Rear
Memory 8 GB G.Skills 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) ATI ASUS Crossfire 5850
Storage Crucial MX100 SATA 2.5 SSD
Display(s) Lenovo ThinkVision 27" (LEN P27h-10)
Case Antec VSK 2000 Black Tower Case
Audio Device(s) Onkyo TX-SR309 Receiver, 2x Kef Cresta 1, 1x Kef Center 20c
Power Supply OCZ StealthXstream II 600w, 4x12v/18A, 80% efficiency.
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
(SIGH)

This thread is full of ignorant people making false and misguided statements all along , the only people here with brains are : Benetanegia and BigMack70 .

BigMack70's second account? Hello :roll:

(SIGH)

First you morons need to read some facts , here they are :

FACT 1 : Not even High-End PCs can sustain 60FPS @1080p in demanding games with maximum graphics , games like : Metro 2033 , ARMA 3 , Crysis , Dragon Age 2 and many many more , there will be drops below 60FPS and in many occasions .

FACT 2 : Consoles include insane amount of code optimization , where every CPU/GPU cycle is utilized , they literally run on the machine code , which is the lowest language of software programming , contrary to the PC that sports many compilers and higher languages which wastes valuable cycles .

FACT 3 : Even with these optimizations , consoles run with shitty graphics . they cant even maintain 30 FPS at 720p , they usually drop to 25 and 20 FPS , they even run at sub 1280x720 resolutions , sometimes as low as 900x600 !

FACT 4 : Consoles cut down on graphics severely , they decrease Shadows density , Lighting Effects , Level Of Detail , Polygon Count , Alpha Effects , Texture Resolution , Texture Filtering , Anti-Aliasing , Post Processing and so many things that I can't even remember them all .

FACT 5 : a console with the triple specs of,
1-AMD CPU
2-AMD APU
3-AMD GPU (low-end/6670)

Will barely run today games at 1080p @60 FPS with PC graphics level , all of the code optimizations will be spent on the cost of resolution increase (to 1080p) and the cost of graphics increase (to PC level) , such as shadows , lighting , textures and etc .

FACT 6 : These consoles will have to do the usual dirty business to be able to run at 1080p , cut resolution and upscale , decrease all graphics elements (lighting and shadows and textures .. etc) below the future PC level .. This happened to the previous generation too , Xbox and PS 3 stared operating at 720p just fine , then they had to cut corners to increase graphics other wise the visuals will stall .

End of Discussion .

What has any of this got to do with BigMack70's claim that your hardware needs to be 4x demanding to jump from 720p to 1080p?

298 posts and yet no Trickson bashing the amd article. Go TPU! :toast:

FIXED!

Last edited:
Processor Intel Core i3-2100 @ 3.1 GHz
Motherboard Asus P8H61-M LX (B3)
Cooling Intel stock HSF
Memory 2x 4GB Kingston DDR3 @ 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Radeon HD 6750 OC
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 3
Display(s) HP W2072a 20"
Case Cooler Master Elite 430 Black
Audio Device(s) Integrated (Realtek ALC887)
Power Supply Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 500W
Software Windows 7 Home Premium x64

Am*

System Name 3D Vision & Sound Blaster
Processor Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz (stock voltage)
Motherboard Gigabyte P67A-D3-B3
Cooling Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E Special Edition (with 3x 140mm Black Thermalright fans)
Memory Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 16GB (2x8GB 1600MHz CL8)
Video Card(s) Nvidia GTX TITAN X 12288MB Maxwell @1350MHz
Storage 6TB of Samsung SSDs + 12TB of HDDs
Display(s) LG C1 48 + LG 38UC99 + Samsung S34E790C + BenQ XL2420T + PHILIPS 231C5TJKFU
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Windowed with 6x 140mm Corsair AFs
Audio Device(s) Creative SoundBlaster Z SE + Z906 5.1 speakers/DT 990 PRO
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX 650W 80+ Platinum
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard CHERRY MX-Board 1.0 Backlit Silent Red Keyboard
Software Windows 7 Pro (RIP) + Winbloat 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 2fast4u,bro...
I'm really not impressed, and pretty disappointed with this.

Rumours suggest the next Xbox going the same route of using AMD APUs. So, that will make both consoles boring and pretty much identical PCs-in-a-box, with only the optical drives and the company logos setting them apart.

The worst part is, they're not even going to be high end by today's standards, which they were back in 2005/2006 when the 360 and the PS3 launched, and they certainly NEED to be if they want them to last anywhere near as long as the current consoles have. It's been about half a decade since the launch of both the 360 and the PS3 and they're already seeming more and more dated with every release.

The only good news I see from this is the fact that it'll use AMD GPUs. This should take a tonne of weight from the shoulders of their driver developers and make their lives a whole lot easier with first party developers that will maximize the capabilities of their hardware (and possibly encourage more console developers to develop or at least release decent ports of their games).

Other than that, the whole lineup of next gen consoles sounds crap. At this point, I can't see why another company, other than Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo, can't do the very same thing but better.

I find it hard to believe that they're claiming 1080p 60fps possible on an APU based system.

I call BS. More probably 720p upscaled

I can't see how it seems so farfetched to you. The 360's X1950-level GPU and the PS3's crappy 7800GT can do that already. This APU is in a whole different league compared to those old dogs.

Actually ... that isnt even impressive at all. 60fps @ 1080p is slow by todays standards.

With a reasonable level of antialiasing/anisotropic filtering, it sounds good by today's standards. The problem is, it'll be painfully slow by tomorrow's standards (even if they release it by 2014, it will already be way outdated).

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
The worst part is, they're not even going to be high end by today's standards

At this point guys... they are forgetting that at current development scale in mobile market... next gen ARM + PowerVR and Tegra will catch up the consoles pretty soon...(I am worried about Adreno I mean Radeon R500... it is still stucked in DX9 era... they fetched some people from ATI team recently again, I guess they are in a hurry)

Why you ask?

It has a larger market!

Good app ecosystem (stores). Unreal engine kit is already working with no problems, bringing no problems for devs...

The darn thing isn't only usable for gaming and doesn't gain dust in the shelf while mommy doesn't give $$ for a new[again the same] COD :D.

Do you think it won't be capable to catch this so called next gen?

Well I am currently playing this on my almost two years old crap phone based on Tegra2.

Horn Game

System Name Workstation / Universal PC
Processor AMD FX-6300
Motherboard Gigabyte 970A-UD3
Cooling Xigmatek Loki (SD963)
Memory Kingston PC10800 4GB, CL9, ECC (4 modules, 16GB)
Video Card(s) Asus HD7770 DCU
Storage Intel 330 180GB, Seagate 7200.14 (1.5TB + 2TB)
Display(s) Philips 235PQ2EB + 231P4QPY
Case CM Elite 330(mod)
Power Supply Corsair CX400
Mouse A4Tech X7 F6
Software Windows 10 x64 Pro
hello TPU fellows.

today I spared more than usual ammount of time to read the whole thread, register (after years) and prepare reply in the Internet 90' format.

Mathematical proof (for like the 4th time):
(1920*1080)/(1280*720) = 2.25
60/30 = 2
Put them together... 2.25*2 = 4.5

Hence, 1080p60 is ~4x as demanding as 720p30.

That's not a point about hardware. In fact, strictly speaking my point here has nothing to do with hardware. It's a point about math which is apparently too simple for many of the elite minds in this thread to grasp. :shadedshu

I'm worked up about kiddos who don't understand kindergarten math and reading comprehension.
That is mathematically correct for painting pixels on 2D surface by "simple c algorithm" with predefined array of 2D vector images.
Today rendering of 3D scene to 2D surface is much more complex than your simple calculation.

Objects are represented as 3D mesh with additional properties tied to them (material, textures, etc.). Now, you need to place this objects into 3D space by applying transformation and output texture position(s) (2d, to pick color from texture [x,y]) and vertex position "on screen", usually you utilize not only [x,y] coordinations but information about how deep "in screen" vertex is (vertex processing).
For each pixel that covers calculated triangle (output of 3 executions of vertex position transformation) on screen is then run pixel (fragment) shader with interpolated values of vertex shader output (here you can mix, modify skip etc. on-screen pixel color).

You see ? Your simple calculation matches only pixel shader computation. Described procedure is very simplified totally basic projection of 3D objects with textures into 2D space. Our simple "resolution based computation power requirements" formula is now much more complex, isn't it ? (let's not start even with adding basic lighting, shadowing or God-forbid animation to the calculation).

If you try to animate some object, you need to update its vertex positions within mesh as they are not only somewhere else on-screen (happens when you turn camera) but their relative position to each other is different. If this is handled by CPU, then this is often responsible for "CPU bottleneck", as it pushes constant pressure on CPU regardless of graphical settings. You can see it in multiplayer FPS with many players, or as perfect example - MMORPG games (CPU requirements for games as Lineage 2 in seriously "mass" pvp are astronomical). If it its handled by GPU, then you again have constant computation complexity not affected by render screen resolution.

On topic:
Create compiler exactly for single x86 architecture without compromises to "universal x86" operations selection (you can take into account exact memory / cache latencies and instruction latencies and their selection) and believe me, you will see miracles.
If next gen consoles contain some sort of X86 based APU, then did you not consider, that this will force to adapt new thinking for utilizing APU's in general for considerable amount of software developers ? And that is great success even for future desktop development.
If you have exact machine specification (HW, SW), you don't need statistics to determine how much operations can you execute in a given time on (avg) target machine HW with (avg) target software layer (drivers, OS) > you can count them exactly.

AD Internet 90' format (semi-ot):
In the past, reading almost any discussion thread on sites devoted to technical stuff resulted in gaining substantial knowledge (either by users directly writing information in post, or by pointing other discussants to relevant resources). After spending hour of forum reading, you took for granted, that your knowledge base expanded (not necessarily in exactly-wanted direction).
Today after huge Internet users expansion and with connection accessible even on toilet you need to watch out to not end up more stupid after hour of reading technical stuff related forum.
If users spent single hour of reading about how 3D rendering works (You can pick DirectX SDK samples, NeHe tutorial, some other introduction material or even a completely simple "How it works" or Wikipedia [1][2] reading) instead of smashing F5 for quickest possible response to "discussion enemies", then there would be real information sharing and knowledne gain benefit for all. Today Internet is not a medium for information and knowledge sharing (I have sometimes bad feeling that knowledge-generation process is stagnating) but one great human based random "BS" generator that can without any problems compete with random number generator run on supercomputer.

Seriously - this thread contains enough text and graphics to cover PhD or some other work, but information value posts can be counted on one's fingers...
Until some genius comes up with "BS filter", it would be interesting to "emulate" such feature by manually picking of information-rich posts by moderators or even by forum users (something like existing "thanks" function) with forum filter to show only flagged posts.

EDIT: Now I checked Wikipedia second link and statement "Vertex shaders are run once for each vertex given to the graphics processor" is not alway true. If you utilize Radeon HD2k-HD4k tesselator, then vertices count processed by vertex shader is actually higher, because fixed pipeline tesselator is placed before vertex shader in rendering pipeline (see Programming for Real-Time Tessellation on GPU)

Last edited:
System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
hello TPU fellows.

today I spared more than usual ammount of time to read the whole thread, register (after years) and prepare reply in the Internet 90' format.

That is mathematically correct for painting pixels on 2D surface by "simple c algorithm" with predefined array of 2D vector images.
Today rendering of 3D scene to 2D surface is much more complex than your simple calculation.

Fully agree... It reminds me of the old times when Voodoo reigned and the sucker still didn't have hardware T&L... if someone still remembers what did it do.

Simply summing up by coefficient isn't possible due to large data overhead that runs also in parallel. First of all memory bandwidth bottle necks, latency increases due to more complex scene and more shader intensive tasks due to light sources etc and the engine itself.

The coefficient ain't linear anymore since those late 90ies I guess.

The next thing that consoles have only! Why they can evolve the graphics on the same platform. For example Metal Gear, Hideo Kojima stated himself in interview that the development was so long due to the fact that they had to rewrite many engine parts using assembly to achieve needed performance for PS3. It is a nightmare you know, but this also bends the math about calculating what we could expect on screen, due to nonexistent recompiler software layer.

System Name RiseZEN Gaming PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ Auto
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H115i Elite Capellix AIO, 280mm Radiator, Dual RGB 140mm ML Series PWM Fans
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) ASUS DUAL RX 6700 XT DUAL-RX6700XT-12G
Storage Corsair Force MP500 480GB M.2 & MP510 480GB M.2 - 2 x WD_BLACK 1TB SN850X NVMe 1TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix 34” XG349C 180Hz 1440p + Asus ROG 27" MG278Q 144Hz WQHD 1440p
Case Corsair Obsidian Series 450D Gaming Case
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries 5Hv2 w/ Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply Corsair RM750x Power Supply
Mouse Razer Death-Adder + Viper 8K HZ Ambidextrous Gaming Mouse - Ergonomic Left Hand Edition
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64-Bit Edition
Benchmark Scores I'm the Doctor, Doctor Who. The Definition of Gaming is PC Gaming...
Damn really? Usually you get nintendo being the cheaper option, I'm hoping they will be a little bit cheaper.
How can it be cheaper? They are using miniature tablets for controllers. Quite interesting, but I wouldn't buy it for more than $250.
Quote:
This is not a fact, since when is the 7+ Year old XBox 360 2 years old in graphics vs. PC.

I have a bad feeling about using hybrid crossfire on a console though, even if they optimize it, that's still an extra piece of hardware that could cause problems.
No, they would never release a console if it wasn't running 100%. This may be a good idea and may benefit the PC because of these blasted console ports. I say go Hybrid Crossfire.

Last edited:

lyndonguitar

I play games
Case Cougar Panzer Max
Power Supply EVGA 750GQ
Software Windows 10
we need more people like Trovaricon here lol

System Name Sovereign // HTPC
Processor i7 3770k 4.2 // i7 3770k 4.2
Motherboard Maximus V Gene // Sabertooth Z77
Cooling Noctua D14 // Intel HSF
Memory 16GB Samsung // 16GB VengeanceLP
Video Card(s) Deciding // 660 DC2
Storage OS (X25-M), Data (Seagate 1TB) // Samsung 840 120GB & bunch of drives
Display(s) Samsung T240HD // LG TV
Case TJ08e // Grandia GD08
Audio Device(s) DT880 Pro 250 ohm // TV speakers
Power Supply Seasonic Plat 1000 // Seasonic Gold 760
Software Windows 8 Pro x64 // Windows 7 Pro x64
Wasn't the ps3 supposed to last 10 years?

Benetanegia

we need more people like Trovaricon here lol

Yes, I can agree with that, because of the effort and such, BUT the info he posted is heavily outdated and because of that non-relevant almost entirely. He's describing forward rendering and to make matters worse, forward rendering with per-vertex shading. That's not used in 95% of the games for 5+ years already. Nowadays everything is calculated on a per-pixel basis and several buffers are created with the resulting pixel information. That's it, deferred rendering/shading.

In deferred rendering what he describes only happens in the first pass (BF3 has 8+ passes): the diffuse color pass, which has very little information and after that everything from lighting, to shading, to advanced shadowing to ambient occlusion to everything happens on a per-pixel basis. Without all of this per-pixel calculations the end result would be the looks of a 90's 3d game. 90% of the work is based on pixel data == buffers == frames that are afterwards mixed (by ROPs and again pixel by pixel) into the final composition.

System Name RiseZEN Gaming PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ Auto
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H115i Elite Capellix AIO, 280mm Radiator, Dual RGB 140mm ML Series PWM Fans
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) ASUS DUAL RX 6700 XT DUAL-RX6700XT-12G
Storage Corsair Force MP500 480GB M.2 & MP510 480GB M.2 - 2 x WD_BLACK 1TB SN850X NVMe 1TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix 34” XG349C 180Hz 1440p + Asus ROG 27" MG278Q 144Hz WQHD 1440p
Case Corsair Obsidian Series 450D Gaming Case
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries 5Hv2 w/ Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply Corsair RM750x Power Supply
Mouse Razer Death-Adder + Viper 8K HZ Ambidextrous Gaming Mouse - Ergonomic Left Hand Edition
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64-Bit Edition
Benchmark Scores I'm the Doctor, Doctor Who. The Definition of Gaming is PC Gaming...
:roll: Yes that is what Sony wanted people to believe :D
Couple quick points just since people keep interacting with my arguments.

@Trovaricon - I know. See my posts #270 & 272. I clarified, or at least tried to.

@Am* - Current consoles do ~720p30, NOT 1080p60. I tried to sum up why it seems far fetched to me that next gen consoles will do 1080p60 in post 279. Even if you think I'm wrong, that should at the very least help you understand why I make the conclusion(s) I make regarding this.

@Disruptor4 - I posted benchmarks early on in the thread showing no single GPU can get 60fps minimum framerate in all games with all settings maxed at 1080p. Not trying to make a big deal out of that at this point, just wanted to clarify where I got my claims from (I could also say my own experience with a single 7970 but I figure benchmarks are more trustworthy).
I fully agree 100%. Today's consoles do not do 1080p, they do 720p then they get upscaled to 1080p. Consoles don't have the power to output at 1920 x 1080p resolution especially when the game is too complex.

Processor Intel i5-6600
Motherboard ASRock H170M-ITX
Cooling Cooler Master Geminii S524
Memory G.Skill DDR4-2133 16GB (8GB x 2)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte R9-380X 4GB
Storage Samsung 950 EVO 250GB (mSATA)
Display(s) LG 29UM69G-B 2560x1080 IPS
Case Lian Li PC-Q25
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Seasonic SS-460FL2
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G110
Software Windows 10 Pro

All systems (except for maybe the Sega 32X, Nintendo Virtual Boy) have at least one or a couple timeless classics that keep them alive :)

Now I know what you meant and I think it'll be close.

September 29th 2012 said:
Last week, the Vice President of Hardware Marketing for the PlayStation brand, John Koller, told news outlet GameSpot that the company plans to support the PlayStation 3 until 2015. While some may think this automatically means the PlayStation 4 will not see release until 2015, this is probably not the case. As Koller explains, the PlayStation 2 stayed active for years, even after the PlayStation 3 saw release. It makes sense for Sony to continue to support the PlayStation 3 since they do not alienate those Sony fans who won't upgrade ASAP to the PlayStation 4. However, chances are good that all of Sony's major franchises will make the jump to the PlayStation 4, leaving only the smaller developers and publishers to continue to support the PlayStation 3.

System Name Workstation / Universal PC
Processor AMD FX-6300
Motherboard Gigabyte 970A-UD3
Cooling Xigmatek Loki (SD963)
Memory Kingston PC10800 4GB, CL9, ECC (4 modules, 16GB)
Video Card(s) Asus HD7770 DCU
Storage Intel 330 180GB, Seagate 7200.14 (1.5TB + 2TB)
Display(s) Philips 235PQ2EB + 231P4QPY
Case CM Elite 330(mod)
Power Supply Corsair CX400
Mouse A4Tech X7 F6
Software Windows 10 x64 Pro
Yes, I can agree with that, because of the effort and such, BUT the info he posted is heavily outdated and because of that non-relevant almost entirely. He's describing forward rendering and to make matters worse, forward rendering with per-vertex shading. That's not used in 95% of the games for 5+ years already. Nowadays everything is calculated on a per-pixel basis and several buffers are created with the resulting pixel information. That's it, deferred rendering/shading.

In deferred rendering what he describes only happens in the first pass (BF3 has 8+ passes): the diffuse color pass, which has very little information and after that everything from lighting, to shading, to advanced shadowing to ambient occlusion to everything happens on a per-pixel basis. Without all of this per-pixel calculations the end result would be the looks of a 90's 3d game. 90% of the work is based on pixel data == buffers == frames that are afterwards mixed (by ROPs and again pixel by pixel) into the final composition.
What I described in previous post is definitely not forward rendering but exactly what I stated that it is:
basic projection of 3D objects with textures into 2D space.
And yes such projection looks like 90' 3d game. EDIT: I used "On screen" term to avoid need to explain render targets.

Both forward and deferred rendering require more outputs from vertex shader (e.g. normals), not only texture coordination and vertex position in 2D space. It is hard to imagine how can you produce dynamic shadows with only single projection (mentioned BF)

Last edited:
Processor AMD A10-6800k @4.8GHz
Motherboard GIGABYTE G1.Sniper A88X
Cooling SCYTHE Katana 3 Type A
Memory 4GB DDR3/1600 Exeleram (for now)
Video Card(s) AMD HD8670D (APU)
Storage WDC WD10EALX / WDC WD6401AALS / Seagate ST3320620AS / Seagate ST3160812AS
Display(s) Iiyama Pro Lite E2200WSV B1 22"
Case Antec
Audio Device(s) GIGABYTE AMP-UP Audio
Power Supply Antec Earthwatts 500W
...The design goal is to be able to play games 1920 x 1080 pixels resolution, with 60 Hz refresh rate, and with the ability to run stereo 3D at 60 Hz...
13 pages of arguing about PS4 being capable of 1080p @60fps... OK, I know I am old, and maybe ignorant, but where does it say something about 60fps?!

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
13 pages of arguing about PS4 being capable of 1080p @60fps... OK, I know I am old, and maybe ignorant, but where does it say something about 60fps?!

The 360 now can output a "60hz signal" it doesn't mean that it rendering 1080p at 60hz though.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Whilst some argue this wont be enough, imho this is an initial dev kit based on what they project will work with ps4,
I recently noticed Amd have changed trinitys sucessor back to piledriver cores with radeon cores next, which to me indicates a trinity successor with Gcn2 and Hsa optimisations ahead of more cpu grunt, and its this chip with additional IP yet to be disclosed(imho interposer with lvl 4 x126mb cache and further Dsp's) that i believe will be the bases of a ps4 anyway, not directly this trinity chip thats for sure, so apples to apples will count for nothing,.

add in hardware optimisations for consoles and Amd's hint at a hardcoded gameing future (Api reduced/removed) and you will have a console that does 60 fps,

to the naysayers i have a crossfire main rig with a physx card(HYBRID) and it will do 60 Fps in EVERY game at 1080p with few settings needing to be eased ever bar AA, so to me the games amd dont do well in are nvidia biased or straight up physx games and an interesting point is that the xbox and ps3 implementation of physx use sse like extensions and are optimised better so nvidia are going to have to write physx to work well on Amd gear:eek:, of a kind:p

id swear some games work better just because an nvidia cards present(tho not used by the game)sometimes.

System Name LS Vtec B18B1 Bolt Ons
Processor AMD Phenom ii 1045t x6 @ 3.5Ghz OC
Motherboard ASRock 970 Extreme3 R2.0 AM3+
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO Push Pull
Memory CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) Black 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire 7950 Dual-X
Storage Samsung EVO 250gb SSD/Samsung 500gb 7200 rpm/WD Cavirar Green 1TB
Display(s) Acer H236HLbid IPS
Case NZXT Gamma (Powder Coated Champion White)
Audio Device(s) Creative Lab SB0460
Power Supply NZXT HALE82 V2 550W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1
Benchmark Scores Vtec
a pc with Sony PS OS

Benetanegia

Both forward and deferred rendering require more outputs from vertex shader (e.g. normals), not only texture coordination and vertex position in 2D space. It is hard to imagine how can you produce dynamic shadows with only single projection (mentioned BF)

And who said single projection?

I'm sorry but it looks like you're learning 3D programming and you're stuck on Chapter 1 yet.

Your argument was there's more than pixel shading, which is true and no one said otherwise. However you went all off with the description of what it's basically <5% of a modern game render pipeline and frame time, as if that represents a big proportion of it. So it's essentially true, but as I said irrelevant to dispute the argument that 4x the resolution requires 4x the power*. Even modern shadows are much more than a projection into shadow maps and is dependent on pixel shading.

*I said it in a previous post, this word is the biggest problem. The problem in a way is that people understand power as == performance in reviews and that's incredibly innacurate. A card with 2x the SPs is undeniably 2x as powerful in that department whether it ends up producing 2x the fps or fails to do so because it's bottlenecked elsewhere.

Now the problem regarding the OT is that an A10 APU is severely limited in ALL fronts, SPs, ROPs, texture units... everything and is simply not going to do what a high-end GPU has difficulties on achieving even today, no matter the optimization. And that's another focus of argument because some people are saying that we don't know if it's going to be a custom APu with more GPU power, etc, but the artcile states it's a A10 and that's not a custom APU is it? It's a commercially available APU, which is why an APU is supposedly going to be used, because it's available and cheap to produce. The days of heavily customized chips is over. Otherwise (custom chip) they would have continued with PowerPC architecture and keep the backwards compatibility.

and it will do 60 Fps in EVERY game at 1080p with few settings needing to be eased ever bar AA

First of all that's a lie or very arbitrary on what "few settings needing to be eased" trully means.

Second your crossfire setup is at least 5x more powerful than an A10 APU, so even if it was true an APU would do 12 fps on the same "few settings eased" conditions. It's a console so let's add a MASSIVE optimization from being a console and you might or might not reach 30 fps (200% increase), but 60 fps not a chance.

Anyway the Wii U is rumored to have a significantly more powerful GPU than A10 APU. Is SONY trully going to release something less capable? :laugh:

Last edited: