• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Won't Abandon Socketed Client CPUs: Company Spokesperson

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Even as Intel neither confirms nor denies reports of it abandoning socketed client desktop processors in favor of BGA packages that permanently bind chips to motherboards, AMD has come forward and asserted that it won't abandon socketed client processors, and will continue to support the DIY PC enthusiast market, reinforced with the fact that BClk multiplier-unlocked processors from the company start for as low as US $129.99. In a statement to the TechReport, AMD's Chris Hook said:

AMD has a long history of supporting the DIY and enthusiast desktop market with socketed CPUs & APUs that are compatible with a wide range of motherboard products from our partners. That will continue through 2013 and 2014 with the "Kaveri" APU and FX CPU lines. We have no plans at this time to move to BGA only packaging and look forward to continuing to support this critical segment of the market.

As the company that introduced new types of BGA packages in ultrathin platforms several years ago, and today offers BGA-packaged processors for everything from ultrathin notebooks to all-in-one desktops, to embedded applications and tablets, we certainly understand Intel's enthusiasm for the approach. But for the desktop market, and the enthusiasts with whom AMD has built its brand, we understand what matters to them and how we can continue to bring better value and a better experience.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
Then again, I'm skeptical. With Intel not making orders anymore, I doubt Foxconn or Lotes will maintain their CPU socket design team.

System Name Tiffany
Processor Intel i7 4770K @ 4.5Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H
Cooling Corsair H100i Push-Pull
Memory Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 16GB
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290 Crossfire @ 925Mhz
Storage WD 500GB + Seagate 1 TB
Display(s) BenQ XL2420TX 120hz
Case Cooler Master CM690II Black & White
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Cooler Master Silent Pro 1000W
Software Windows 7
WOW

That's a amazing statement after all those rumors made by "sources close to Intel".

System Name Blue Beast 2.0
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER
Cooling EK EK-AIO 360 D-RGB
Memory G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 Ultra Gaming Hybrid
Storage Seagate FireCuda 520 500GB NVME, Western Digital SN750 1TB NVME, Western Digital SN850 1TB NVME
Display(s) AOC AG271QG, Dell UltraSharp U2414H
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic - Black
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DGX PCI-E 5.1
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502 HERO
Keyboard Corsair Strafe MK.2 Cherry MX Silent
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
WOW

That's a amazing statement after all those rumors made by "sources close to Intel".

Any time AMD can have an advantage over Intel, you know they'll go with it.

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
Yup, so AMD's statement only reinforces the BGA apocalypse rumor, because AMD won't make such a statement without its own research and legal opinion.

Processor Intel i5-6700K @ 4.5GHz
Motherboard ASUS Z170-A
Cooling Scythe FUMA
Memory 16 GB (2 x 8GB) Mushkin Redline DDR4 2666 15-15-15-35
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 Ti SeaHawk X
Storage A lot
Display(s) Alienware AW3418DW
Case CM 690 III
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Ducky Shine 3 Magenta MX Cherry Brown
I certainly hope Intel doesn't go down that route. They have such great products...

Though if AMD offers something down the road which heavily competes with Intel's products, and still supports overclocking, I'll of course give them a look. Good on AMD for clearing up any concerns and jabbing a bit at the competition.

BUCK NASTY

4P Enthusiust
System Name Main Rig
Processor AMD FX-4130 @ 4.8Ghz
Motherboard ASUS M5A99X Evo
Cooling Coolermaster Hyper 212+
Memory 8GB GSkill DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX 970 Strix @ 1503Mhz Core
Storage Corsair Force 90gb SSD/ WD Caviar Blue 750gb
Display(s) ASUS 24" IPS
Case Coolermaster Centurion 590
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Antec TP750 80+
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64
Good to know that the enthusiast will still have a option(s). This may turnaround AMD's decision to not pursue the performance crown any longer.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
At this point I'm not too concerned with the performance crown, especially not at the prices and sacrifices Intel makes us pay. I've not found anything my Phenom x6 can't handle.

System Name Lailalo
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X Boosts to 4.95Ghz
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus (WIFI
Cooling Noctua
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) XFX 7900XT 20GB
Storage Samsung 970 Pro Plus 1TB, Crucial 1TB MX500 SSD, Segate 3TB
Display(s) LG Ultrawide 29in @ 2560x1080
Case Coolermaster Storm Sniper
Power Supply XPG 1000W
Mouse G602
Keyboard G510s
Software Windows 10 Pro / Windows 10 Home
AMD doesn't need to beat Intel in performance, they just need to commit themselves to making their customer's happy in other ways. This being one major way. If the BGA rumors are true, I hope AMD taking this stand makes people think harder about the future of their computers.

I was really finally considering an Intel build but now...I'm glad I stuck with AMD for one more round.

Still happy I went with my new i5 system, although those piledriver systems are very attractive and seem monstrous around that 4.8-5Ghz range for eight cores even if they are faked cores. Something I'd love to build just to have and use honestly.

System Name The Stone that the Builders Refused / iJayo
Processor R5 1600/ R7 3700X
Motherboard Asrock AB350 Pro4 / Asus Rog Strix B450-F gaming
Cooling Cryorig M9 / Noctua NH-D14
Memory G skill 16 Gigs ddr4 / 16 gigs PNY ddr4
Video Card(s) Nvdia GTX 660 / Nvidia RTX 2070 Super
Storage 120gig 840 evo, 120gig adata sp900 / 1tb Mushkin M.2 ssd 1 & 3 tb seagate hdd, 120 gig Hyper X ssd
Display(s) 42" Nec retail display monitor/ 34" Dell curved 165hz monitor
Case Pink Enermax Ostrog / Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass edition
Audio Device(s) Altec Lansing Expressionist Bass/ M-Audio monitors
Power Supply Corsair450 / Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 650
Mouse corsair vengence M65 / Zalman Knossos
Keyboard corsair k95 / Roccat Vulcan 121
Software Window 10 pro / Windows 10 pro
Benchmark Scores meh... feel me on the battle field!
Deposit 2 cent now..

aahhh.... if the current trend continues.... there won't be a desktop market (unless apple makes one and then the it crowd follow and desktops become cool again :rolleyes:) So ...this is sorta just fluff.... Amd needs to first save itself and evolve. A shriveling company making promises to a niche market that is not large enough to solely support it aint gonna work. Especially if a bga system still hands an overclocked Amd lga its transistors. Honestly I see workstations in our future. Dont get me wrong, big ups for the support but survive first... history is littered with companies that "stayed true" to the past and is now a part of that past too.

Last edited:

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Then again, I'm skeptical. With Intel not making orders anymore, I doubt Foxconn or Lotes will maintain their CPU socket design team.
It's a headache to get 1500+ pins connected in a motherboard. The move to soldered CPUs is an inevitability when they have, and keep demanding, more contacts. AMD has been able to keep the contact count modest so they can afford to keep them unsoldered.

I could see AMD eventually having to have more contacts and reverse this decsion but it appears to be a ways off. I think, for desktops, this is going to make AMD processors a no-brainer for me. If Intel goes forward with soldering chips to motherboards, Intel chips aren't in my future.

System Name Lailalo
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X Boosts to 4.95Ghz
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus (WIFI
Cooling Noctua
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) XFX 7900XT 20GB
Storage Samsung 970 Pro Plus 1TB, Crucial 1TB MX500 SSD, Segate 3TB
Display(s) LG Ultrawide 29in @ 2560x1080
Case Coolermaster Storm Sniper
Power Supply XPG 1000W
Mouse G602
Keyboard G510s
Software Windows 10 Pro / Windows 10 Home
aahhh.... if the current trend continues.... there won't be a desktop market (unless apple makes one and then the it crowd follow and desktops become cool again :rolleyes:) So ...this is sorta just fluff.... Amd needs to first save itself and evolve. A shriveling company making promises to a niche market that is not large enough to solely support it aint gonna work. Especially if a bga system still hands an overclocked Amd lga its transistors. Honestly I see workstations in our future. Dont get me wrong, big ups for the support but survive first... history is littered with companies that "stayed true" to the past and is now a part of that past too.

It isn't just about the enthusiast market. This is a big move for businesses and professional environments too.

If Intel pulls an Apple and tries to strong arm people into BGA, they now have an alternative with AMD. AMD may be weak now but all it needs is Intel blundering like this for them to pick up a lot of market. This will not only help DIY builders but also businesses and smaller PC resellers who can't afford to go BGA. BGA is not going to lower prices. In fact, I think it'll raise them. Its extra work for vendors to do. Cost of production added plus testing/etc. Then imagine problems happen in production. How much higher the cost will be to replace vs just a single part. It is cheaper to just make the board then the PC maker compile the parts.

System Name Server
Processor AMD Phenom 9950BE @ 3.3Ghz
Motherboard ASUS M3A78-EM+
Cooling Apogee GT Waterblock on Thermaltake Rhythm
Memory CRUCIAL Ballistix Tracer PC2-6400 4X1GB
Video Card(s) ASUS EN9600GT Silent
Storage OCZ Vertex2 60GB SSD / 3X 1TB WD Caviar Green
Display(s) 2X APPLE CINEMA DISPLAY 20"
Case Thermaltake LANBOX Lite VF6000BWS
Power Supply CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W
Software WINDOWS 7 x64 Ultimate
:twitch: Intel will stop offering socketed CPUs??? What on earth is this all about? Home builds are a niche market???? Since WHEN?

Just because people invested money on tablets and smartphones it doesn't mean the PC market is dead!

Without upgradable/repairable computers it will be just like the 80s all over again... :banghead:

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
:twitch: Intel will stop offering socketed CPUs??? What on earth is this all about? Home builds are a niche market???? Since WHEN?

Just because people invested money on tablets and smartphones it doesn't mean the PC market is dead!

Without upgradable/repairable computers it will be just like the 80s all over again... :banghead:

Now, yell at us to get off your lawn. :p

I could see how the OEM market might want to go with BGA because the type of buyers are not likely to upgrade the cpu and its easy for them to make one type of motherboard; not like motherboard manufacturers that offer multiple products and with different needs of buyers (fragmented market).

System Name Classy Gal
Processor i7 2600K
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3-B3
Cooling CM Hyper 212 plus
Memory 16GB Kingston Hyper X
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX1070 FE
Storage 2x120GB Vertex 3 - 1x1TB WD
Display(s) LG 23" 1920x1080
Case Coolermaster Cosmos S
Audio Device(s) Creative SB Titanium HD
Power Supply Seasonic M12II 750W
Software Win10 / Linux Mint
At least i already know which CPU brand i'll buy for my next upgrades.

D

Deleted member 67555

WOW!
The folks here that are gonna hold true to the dead enthusiast market, even though the writing is literally on the wall, is somewhat commendable and very much laughable...

This market is on life support people!
Nobody gives a flying F#ck about PC gaming anymore or Enthusiast PC's or what you can do on a desktop and nobody will really care when they can take their gaming system with them wherever they go!

I give it 4 years before Googles OS is the major competitor out there with uber craptastic devices that can game.

WOW!
The folks here that are gonna hold true to the dead enthusiast market, even though the writing is literally on the wall, is somewhat commendable and very much laughable...

This market is on life support people!
Nobody gives a flying F#ck about PC gaming anymore or Enthusiast PC's or what you can do on a desktop and nobody will really care when they can take their gaming system with them wherever they go!

I give it 4 years before Googles OS is the major competitor out there with uber craptastic devices that can game.

Not to bust your bubble,
But whilst I understand the formfactors are changing nobody who owns the new tech devices goes without tethering them to something, sure "I heart my tablet and smartphone"..but if they did not sync with my laptop and desktops they would be useless.
the sad reality is consumer electronics/computing does not make for a productive workspace.

as for this thread I am saving AMD all by myself by building an AM3+ system...and so should you be...oh enthusiastic ones.

System Name GLaDOS
Processor AMD FX-9590 X8 4.7GHz
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth 990FX
Cooling Corsair H80i v2
Memory Corsair Vengeance 24GB (2x8GB, 2x4GB) DDR3 1600 MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG-STRIX-RX580-O8G-GAMINGOC
Storage WD Blue 3D NAND 1TB Internal PC SSD
Display(s) 2 Acer S231HL 23" LED backlit LCD's on a Dual LCD stand
Case Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow
Audio Device(s) Onboard - Corsair Void Pro Wireless
Power Supply Corsair 850HXi 850W
Mouse Corsair Sabre RGB
Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX RGB
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
As a guy who owns both Intel and AMD machines, and builds Intel all day at work.... I will keep my money on AMD.

I love my AMD machines and my current X6 machine does everything I need it to do and more.

D

Deleted member 67555

Not to bust your bubble,
But whilst I understand the formfactors are changing nobody who owns the new tech devices goes without tethering them to something, sure "I heart my tablet and smartphone"..but if they did not sync with my laptop and desktops they would be useless.
the sad reality is consumer electronics/computing does not make for a productive workspace.

as for this thread I am saving AMD all by myself by building an AM3+ system...and so should you be...oh enthusiastic ones.

I already did....well mostly gonna buy an 8350 soon...but the market is still dying and Google cloud sync will hold all the info you need (and will share it with everyone you don't want them to)

Maybe BGA for lower end and LGA for higher end processors?

System Name My Rig
Processor AMD 3950X
Motherboard X570 TUFF GAMING PLUS
Cooling EKWB Custom Loop, Lian Li 011 G1 distroplate/DDC 3.1 combo
Memory 4x16GB Corsair DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) MSI Seahawk 2080 Ti EKWB block
Storage 2TB Auros NVMe Drive
Display(s) Asus P27UQ
Case Lian Li 011-Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) JBL 30X
Power Supply Seasonic Titanium 1000W
Mouse Razer Lancehead
Keyboard Razer Widow Maker Keyboard
Software Window's 10 Pro

That's always been my interpretation of this whole shlog. It sounds like intel doesn't make much money on the i3/i5 line-up and see's the mobile-apocalypse(the shrinking of the desktop segment) that's coming and wants to consolidate cost/liability. Sell interchangeable parts at the high end i7 side of things for workstations that remain needed.

D

Deleted member 67555

personally I wish AMD would follow suit...
Cut out the Graphics card slots,give up on memory expansion and release a few new APU models a year....then we would get the best bang for our buck as programs would get coded way better.

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro

Yeah, HEDT. Starts at $350 for the processor, $200 for the motherboard.