• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HD 7970 vapor x 6gb voltage way too low

xjxason

Could you do me a favor and upload a snap shot of your GPUz and Msi afterburner open at the same time please :)

I would like to check something , im thinking there might be a translation issue , check that your card jumps out of pcie 1.1 and goes to your motherboards maximum , i noticed my card doing something similar , but upload a screeny as i asked please mate .

tweak

Tweak-venetica-

curious

do me a another favor , the little "?" next to bus interface on GPUz that shows pcie 1.1 click it and run the render test and see if it kicks into pcie 3.0 .

Also what is the 206MB memory usage dedicated for ?
And what tickles me is the fact that your 3d card bios stats its an ATI bios and not the brand you purchased , your card doesn't seem to know what it is , did you buy this card new or 2nd hand ? have you ever tried flashing the bios ?

look at the details from my slightly clocked 7970 , same as yours it drops to 1.1 pcie but under load it goes to 2.0 pcie ( due to my older motherboard ) but mine shows that i have a sapphire bios flashed to the rom .

I would say uninstall all drivers including the chipset driver supplied by intel , then start from there again . Uninstall all , then restart , install chip set , restart , install ATI driver , restart then check again .

Last edited:

xjxason

do me a another favor , the little "?" next to bus interface on GPUz that shows pcie 1.1 click it and run the render test and see if it kicks into pcie 3.0 .

Also what is the 206MB memory usage dedicated for ?
And what tickles me is the fact that your 3d card bios stats its an ATI bios and not the brand you purchased , your card doesn't seem to know what it is , did you buy this card new or 2nd hand ? have you ever tried flashing the bios ?

how do i know if it kicks into 3.0 or not?? and amd owns ati lol

xjxason

oh and the dedicated means at the current time, how much memory is being used.

Tweak-venetica-

i edited my post ,

oke so to know if it kicks into 3.0 or 2.0 depending on your mainboard , the little '?' . Next to it is numbers like pcie 1.1 @16x , that should change if you use the 3d render tool , it should also chance you voltages and everything , so maybe snap a shot of the sensors while that tool is rendering ?

xjxason

i edited my post ,

oke so to know if it kicks into 3.0 or 2.0 depending on your mainboard , the little '?' . Next to it is numbers like pcie 1.1 @16x , that should change if you use the 3d render tool , it should also chance you voltages and everything , so maybe snap a shot of the sensors while that tool is rendering ?

oh i see,yes it changes to a 3.0, and none of the voltages or anything changes at all.

Tweak-venetica-

for now im stumped , ill have to think this one through , in the mean time try what i said about uninstalling and reinstalling

System Name MONEY PIT
Processor i7-3770K @ 4800 1.20v batch #3231B415 Delided
Motherboard ASrock Z77 OC Formula w onboard waterblocks
Cooling Apogee HD, MCP655,rad MCR320-XP,Micro Rev2 res
Memory G,skill Trident X F3-2400C10D-16GTX
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified with EK nickel/acetal waterblock installed
Storage 2x120gig Wildfire raid0 2x120gig VERTEX3 raid0
Display(s) 3/ Samsung2343bwx + 65in LG 4K
Case NZXT Phantom White w/red
Audio Device(s) ReCon3d fatal1ty pro, Logitech z906 THX
Power Supply corsair AX860i
Mouse Rat7
Software 64bit ++++ win 10
Dump the vid card bios to a zip & upload it .will have a look @ it ...afterburner shoul not see the current bios as a lightning looks like a bad afterburner install ..... can you confirm the controller on that card? saphire might have add another controller to the card that the programs can't read
if your brave you could try flashing the card to this but let me have a look @ the current bois first

Last edited:

xjxason

Dump the vid card bios to a zip & upload it .will have a look @ it ...afterburner shoul not see the current bios as a lightning looks like a bad afterburner install ..... can you confirm the controller on that card? saphire might have add anothe controller to the card that the programs can't read

i actually just tried a different afterburner install, the final 2.2 release, and its detected the correct card, and it let me unlock the voltage control, but when i edit the voltage and check it on GPU Z it doesnt change. and also, how would i go about figuring out the controller? the bios http://www.filedropper.com/tahiti

xjxason

oh and the max voltage that afterburner will let me set is 1300 anyways so thats still way too low, even if it did work.

xjxason

oh AND i dont know how to flash bios's.... and that bios says its for a toxic version?

Tweak-venetica-

whoa cowboy ! lol 1.3v is quite extreme look what i used for 1300mhz :) nowhere near 1.3V lol dont burn the card before we get to help you fix it :)

xjxason

well either way the voltage changes dont take effect lol, and i cant get passed 1125 without horrible artifacts taking over.

Tweak-venetica-

oh and @ Frogger , buddie who made that bios ? its nice but geez your 3d card will never get a rest lol min clock speed is 1100 mhz .. lol

Tweak-venetica-

thats due to the lack of voltage mate , we will sort out your voltage problem in due time dont worry mate :)

xjxason

thats due to the lack of voltage mate , we will sort out your voltage problem in due time dont worry mate :)

hell i was overclocking in CCC and get only get 1125gpu and 1800ram, in afterburner i can only get maybe 1075gpu and 1600ram, if that, any ideas whats up with that? I really need to get this sorted out

xjxason

this is how bad this card is performing... i get a score of about 900 in furmark. the average regular 7970 gets around 4000!

System Name MONEY PIT
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified with EK nickel/acetal waterblock installed
Mouse Rat7
also, how would i go about figuring out the controller
take off the cooler & look or find a high res pic on the web .
only reason i asked is from reading "The VRM includes, we're told, a very high-end controller that provides a lot of software features. "
this should be it but can read from this pic..att..

who made that bios
from the database

oh AND i dont know how to flash bios's

read here

this should be the bios on you card now you could do a bios compare with atiflash

From re reading the thread I think you might have some bad keys in the REGisty before you can figure out if it's a bad card you shoud do a real good unistall & reg clean I like ATIman but there a lots out there .....

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    105.7 KB · Views: 506
Last edited:

xjxason

take off the cooler & look or find a high res pic on the web .
only reason i asked is from reading "The VRM includes, we're told, a very high-end controller that provides a lot of software features. "
this should be it but can read from this pic..att..

from the database

read here

this should be the bios on you card now you could do a bios compare with atiflash

From re reading the thread I think you might have some bad keys in the REGisty before you can figure out if it's a bad card you shoud do a real good unistall & reg clean I like ATIman but there a lots out there .....

for every version of atiflash ive tried, it says my version of windows isnt compatible.... any other progs that view bios rom files?

System Name MONEY PIT
Mouse Rat7
atiflash only works in DOS the how to is in the "read here" link