• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Rosewill SilentNight 500 W

Rosewill just introduced their first passive cooling PSU: the SilentNight 500 W made by Super Flower. It offers Platinum efficiency, high performance, and noise output at close to zero levels because of the absence of a cooling fan. This unit goes up against some strong competition, but has many interesting features.

Show full review

Last edited by a moderator:
Processor Intel Core i5 4670K @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z87 Extreme 4
Cooling Lepa NeoIllusion RGB CPU cooler
Memory 2*4GB Patriot G2 Series RAM
Video Card(s) MSI Radeon R9 380 4GB
Storage Transcend SSD 740 256GB + WD Caviar Blue 1TB
Display(s) Samsung SA 300 24" Full HD
Case NZXT Phantom 530 + Bitfenix Recon fan controller
Audio Device(s) Creative SB0770 X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
Power Supply PC Power and Cooling Silencer MkIII 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Steelseries Apex RAW
Benchmark Scores IT WORKS
Seasonic X520 features fully modular design, lower voltage regulation, lower rippling and haves better efficient and costs 10 USD less. SS is much better than this

Sin

News Editor
Seasonic X520 features fully modular design, lower voltage regulation, lower rippling and haves better efficient and costs 10 USD less. SS is much better than this

Not really, this already offers impeccable regulation (<1% 12v and <1.5% for the minor rails), excellent output quality, it offers superior connectivity/functionality (4x PCIe connectors), it overloads like a champ (can function as a 600W Gold unit, and OPP kicks in @ ~700W DC, output at which it still returns Gold efficiency on 230v mains) and the design is simply superior when it comes to heat dissipation.

Mouse Logitech G502
Not really, this already offers impeccable regulation (<1% 12v and <1.5% for the minor rails), excellent output quality, it offers superior connectivity/functionality (4x PCIe connectors), it overloads like a champ (can function as a 600W Gold unit, and OPP kicks in @ ~700W DC, output at which it still returns Gold efficiency on 230v mains) and the design is simply superior when it comes to heat dissipation.

Yes, I agree that Rosewill features great output quality. But the point is that in Seasonic it is even better and SS cost less so why I should buy RW?

Both PSUs haves same overload possibilities. http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Rosewill-SilentNight-500-W-Power-Supply-Review/1666/9 and http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Seasonic-Platinum-Fanless-520-W-Power-Supply-Review/1664/9

Sin

News Editor
I can tell you why I would buy it, and that is the connectivity (which can make use of its overload abilities), the design (I like the fact that it's properly heat-sinked, unlike the XP-520) and the superior efficiency at high output levels (less heat generated + proper heat sinks = cooler operating regime), however I wouldn't pay more than ~125$ for either of them. ;)

Don't get this wrong, I like the XP-520, but I wouldn't put it in an case with no airflow (fanless system or sorts), the Silent Night gives me that option though.

Mouse Logitech G502
I can tell you why I would buy it, and that is the connectivity (which can make use of its overload abilities), the design (I like the fact that it's properly heat-sinked, unlike the XP-520) and the superior efficiency at high output levels (less heat generated + proper heat sinks = cooler operating regime), however I wouldn't pay more than ~125$ for either of them. ;)

Don't get this wrong, I like the XP-520, but I wouldn't put it in an case with no airflow (fanless system or sorts), the Silent Night gives me that option though.

Yes, efficiency at overload looks great. However I wouldn't to push it to over load (fanless PSU can be unstable for long time using)

I think that connectivity isn't major factor then you choosing psu

You can get everything you want from Molex :roll:

I don't see too much the point of a fan less PSU, I think a slow speed silent fan can reduce the temperature inside the PSU (which is healthy for the PSU) without giving noise issues

Evan

Rosewill SilentNight-500

Nice review!Good to see that someone is making fanless 80+ platinum psus ... I wish to see it in 1kW version.