• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GUNNAR Optiks Secures Patents for Computer Eyewear Technology

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
GUNNAR Optiks, the world's leading manufacturer of computer eyewear, today announced that it has been awarded broad patent coverage on the company's lens technology and design. GUNNAR's 20/20 and prescription computer eyewear, optimized for use while viewing digital screens, combines a proprietary lens material in an advanced geometry, finished with custom tuned lens tints and coatings.

"Aggressively protecting our technological innovations is an integral part of our business," said Joe Croft, co-founder of GUNNAR. "GUNNAR Optiks computer eyewear addresses a problem affecting more than 120M Americans today. Securing broad-based patents reinforces GUNNAR's leadership position in the category that we created, and ensures that affected consumers can receive a high-quality eyewear solution that protects their vision."

US Patent No. 8,342,681 was awarded to GUNNAR Optiks on January 1, 2013, and applies to the following areas of innovation:
  • Computer eyewear designed to filter spectral peaks commonly found in fluorescent lighting and computer backlights.
  • Computer eyewear with a wrap-around design designed to protect the eye from air currents and trap in evaporated moisture.
  • Computer eyewear with decentered optics to provide distortion-free viewing.
Additional patent claims, regarding the filtration of HEV (High Energy Visible) light, have been allowed and set to issue in the coming months.

GUNNAR Optiks computer eyewear combines form and function with style to reduce eye fatigue and stress, commonly associated with Computer Vision Syndrome and Digital Eye Fatigue. GUNNAR Optiks i-AMP lens technology gives computer users better performance and a visual advantage in the short term while reducing wear and tear on eyes in the long term. Working with the eye, optic nerve and brain to enhance the viewing experience, this patented technology allows digital users to see more clearly, absorb and process more than with the naked eye.

All styles are available for purchase on GUNNAR's online store, with select styles available from major retailers worldwide including: Best Buy, Amazon, Zappo's and Newegg.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Last edited by a moderator:

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
I had gotten a set of these given to me and they are really uncomfortable to wear especially if you use a headset to game. Also the lenses are yellow and I compared them to a set of oakley ballistic glasses I had gotten issues in the army which have dark, clear, and yellow. The yellow on both optics were about exact so these to me seem like over prices safety glasses.

System Name Ultrabeast GX2
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 @ 4.0GHZ 24/7
Motherboard Gigabit P35-DS3L
Cooling Rosewill RX24, Dual Slot Vid, Fan control
Memory 2x1gb 1066mhz@850MHZ DDR2
Video Card(s) 9800GX2 @ 690/1040
Storage 750/250/250/200 all WD 7200
Display(s) 24" DCLCD 2ms 1200p
Case Apevia
Audio Device(s) 7.1 Digital on-board, 5.1 digital hooked up
Power Supply 700W RAIDMAXXX SLI
Software winXP Pro
Benchmark Scores 17749 3DM06
I had gotten a set of these given to me and they are really uncomfortable to wear especially if you use a headset to game. Also the lenses are yellow and I compared them to a set of oakley ballistic glasses I had gotten issues in the army which have dark, clear, and yellow. The yellow on both optics were about exact so these to me seem like over prices safety glasses.

Oakley ballistic glasses aren't cheap either, so if they were the exact same then how does that devalue the Gunnar?

Edit: Typo in original article, fourth paragraph, missing 'a'.

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
Oakley ballistic glasses aren't cheap either, so if they were the exact same then how does that devalue the Gunnar?

Edit: Typo in original article, fourth paragraph, missing 'a'.

Well yes those are not cheap but what I was getting at is that they are close if not exactly like a semi decent pair of safety glasses.

System Name Current
Processor i5 2500k @ 4.5
Motherboard ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Cooling Xigmatek Gaia
Memory 2x4G G-skill Sniper
Video Card(s) GTX 680
Storage 128 Crucial M4, 1 TB Seagate Baracuda
Display(s) Shimian Achieva 27"
Case Corsair 400R
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsais HX-620
Software Windows 7
I use Flux, I don't really think these glasses "reduce strain" as much as they reduce the amount of light that actually makes it to your eyes. Most people have their monitors too bright and that's what ends up causing eye strain over long periods of time.

System Name Ultrabeast GX2
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 @ 4.0GHZ 24/7
Motherboard Gigabit P35-DS3L
Cooling Rosewill RX24, Dual Slot Vid, Fan control
Memory 2x1gb 1066mhz@850MHZ DDR2
Video Card(s) 9800GX2 @ 690/1040
Storage 750/250/250/200 all WD 7200
Display(s) 24" DCLCD 2ms 1200p
Case Apevia
Audio Device(s) 7.1 Digital on-board, 5.1 digital hooked up
Power Supply 700W RAIDMAXXX SLI
Software winXP Pro
Benchmark Scores 17749 3DM06
LoL anoter way to milk Gamers for money.

Eye strain is a real thing, so these glasses work nicely. The only issue is this could be accomplished with $10 instead of $100.

Fourstaff

Staff member
System Name Orange! // ItchyHands
Processor 3570K // 10400F
Motherboard ASRock z77 Extreme4 // TUF Gaming B460M-Plus
Cooling Stock // Stock
Memory 2x4Gb 1600Mhz CL9 Corsair XMS3 // 2x8Gb 3200 Mhz XPG D41
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 // Asus TUF RTX 2070
Storage Samsung 840 250Gb // SX8200 480GB
Display(s) LG 22EA53VQ // Philips 275M QHD
Case NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange // Tecware Forge M
Power Supply Corsair CXM500w // CM MWE 600w
Eye strain is a real thing, so these glasses work nicely. The only issue is this could be accomplished with $10 instead of $100.

I am using a pair of glasses closer to $10 than $100, but I don't feel that much strain even after sitting in front of the computer for the entire day. This is for people who can feel eye strain after a few hours.