• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Xi3 Corporation Unveils its Z3RO Pro Computer at CES 2013

Xi3 Corporation unveiled its Z3RO Pro Computer, a small form factor computer the size of a small paperback at the 2013 International CES trade show, January 8-11, 2013.

With a starting price point of $399, the Z3RO Pro Computer is designed to showcase the future of small form factor desktop computing. Housed in Xi3's smallest chassis (1.875 x 4.875 x 3.625-inches), the Z3RO Pro Computer is designed for general computer use, including home and office environments, and is powerful enough for specialty applications such as digital signage environments and home theater use.

"The Z3RO Pro Computer is the ideal size for the ultimate in small form factor x86-based general computing," said Jason A. Sullivan , founder, President and CEO. "In this post-PC era, it's clear that there's no reason to buy a tower or mini-tower computer ever again. Not only does the Z3RO Pro Computer help round out the Xi3 product line, it also marks the end of desktop computing as we've known it."

The Z3RO Pro Computer is available with

● A dual-core 64-bit, x86-based processor running at 1.65 GHz (with 2 MB of Level 2 Cache),
● An integrated graphics processor (GPU) containing 80 graphics cores (or shaders),
● 4 GB of DDR3 RAM,
● 16 GB - 1 TB of internal solid-state SSD storage (with up to 12 Gbps throughput speeds),
● Two display ports providing maximum resolution of 2560 x 1600 (including 1 HDMI/DisplayPort v1.2 and 1 Mini-DisplayPort v1.2),
● Four eSATAp 3.0 ports, and
● 1Gb Ethernet port.

Z3RO Pro Computers operate at 15 Watts of power, ship standard with openSUSE Linux v11.2, but will also run an array of other x86-based Operating Systems, including Windows 8 and lower, UNIX, other Linux variants, etc. General Availability of the Z3RO Pro Computer is slated to begin in the Second Quarter of 2013. Xi3 is accepting accept pre-orders on its Z3RO Pro Computer immediately.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
the SSD size confuses me. is the $399 price tag for the 16GB internal SSD?? love the case tho!!!!!

mediasorcerer

System Name THE MEDIAMACHINE
Processor i5-3570k
Motherboard Asus gene v z-77 matx.
Cooling Antec h20 620
Memory 2x4gb g.skill ripjaws z 2400
Video Card(s) h.i.s radeon 7950 reference 3 gb- hooray!!!
Storage samsung 128gb~830 ssd. samsung 500gb hdrive.
Display(s) 22 inch tele.
Case circa 1996 grey rat box with no sides front.until my own is finished
Audio Device(s) inbuilt creative.supreme effects 3
Power Supply thermaltake tt-500w
Software win 7 x64-
Benchmark Scores Coming soon
End of desktop computing as we know it??? All these new desktop products at ces must be a huge waste of time then, where do they come up with this stuff, try playing a game on that then lol.

Nice case though.

System Name THE CUBE 2.0
Processor Intel i5 13600k
Motherboard MSI MPG Z690 EDGE DDR4
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14PE BK 2x T30-120 Fan mod mount
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 3200 MT/s C15 32GB 2x16GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aorus 1080 Ti 11GB OC: Core 2GHz, Mem 5.7GHz
Storage WD SN770 250GB / 3x WD SN850X 2TB / Toshiba X300 4TB / 2x RAID1 Toshiba P300 3TB
Display(s) Samsung 49" Odyssey OLED G95SC 240Hz 5120 x 1440
Case "THE CUBE" Custom built, pure Red Alder wood
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT 880
Power Supply Corsair RM1000X
Mouse Logitech G700
Keyboard Logitech G910
Software Windows 11 Pro
End of desktop computing as we know it??? All these new desktop products at ces must be a huge waste of time then, where do they come up with this stuff, try playing a game on that then lol.

Nice case though.

It says right there for general computer use...

I'm going to guess that price is for 16GB.

System Name Devil's Canyon PC build
Processor Intel i7-4790K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97X-G1 Gaming WIFI-BK
Cooling Prolimatech Megahalems Black Edition Air Cooler, 2x Akasa 120mm PWN Piranha Fans (push-pull config)
Memory Patriot Viper 3 "Black Mamba" 32GB (4x8GB), 2133MHz, C11-11-11-30, 1.5v
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Windforce X3 GeForce GTX Titan X 12GB GDDR5 (Non-Pascal)
Storage Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SSD, 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, Seagate 8TB Archive HDD, 2TB Samsung M9T HDD
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift 27" 144Hz G-Sync Gaming Monitor
Case Corsair Obsidian 650D Midi Tower - Black, 3x230mm Bitfenix SPECTRE PRO, 1x120mm Bitfenix PWN (SP)
Power Supply Seasonic 660W Platinum Certified Modular
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64

Nice case though.

This will be painful news for you, but this same company is also developing the SteamBox which is a PC around the same size (a little larger obviously, I think it was shaped more like a cube) running Linux which will play games. This is of course a part of Valve's development plan of bring their games to the Linux platform and their response to consumers' desire for a SteamBox. This is all based on some recent news I heard from Kotaku which cover the SteamBox prototypes at CES (not sure if it is just details they are sharing or if they actually have the prototypes there on display).

I think this was the article I found on Kotaku. Here is another article which should add a bit more info on the topic.

The end message is that it looks like both Desktop PCs for general office use and Desktop PCs for gaming are potentially at risk at meeting its end, but this should be avoidable though so I would say the end is probably sometime away (a few years I would say at the least) rather than a few months or this year to be exact.

Processor 7800x3d
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Auros Elite AX
Cooling Custom Water
Memory GSKILL 2x16gb 6000mhz Cas 30 with custom timings
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6750 XT MECH 2X 12G OC
Storage Adata SX8200 1tb with Windows, Samsung 990 Pro 2tb with games
Display(s) HP Omen 27q QHD 165hz
Case ThermalTake P3
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex Titanium
Software Windows 11 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores CB23: 1811 / 19424 CB24: 1136 / 7687
This will be painful news for you, but this same company is also developing the SteamBox which is a PC around the same size (a little larger obviously, I think it was shaped more like a cube) running Linux which will play games. This is of course a part of Valve's development plan of bring their games to the Linux platform and their response to consumers' desire for a SteamBox. This is all based on some recent news I heard from Kotaku which cover the SteamBox prototypes at CES (not sure if it is just details they are sharing or if they actually have the prototypes there on display).

I think this was the article I found on Kotaku. Here is another article which should add a bit more info on the topic.

The end message is that it looks like both Desktop PCs for general office use and Desktop PCs for gaming are potentially at risk at meeting its end, but this should be avoidable though so I would say the end is probably sometime away (a few years I would say at the least) rather than a few months or this year to be exact.

Here is an article saying that the articles you mentioned were not entirely true.

System Name Vulcan
Processor i6 6600K
Motherboard GIGABYTE Z170X UD3
Cooling Thermaltake Frio Silent 14
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB)
Video Card(s) ASUS Strix GTX 970
Storage Mushkin Enhanced Reactor 1TB SSD
Display(s) QNIX 27 Inch 1440p
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Cooler Master V750
Software Win 10 64-bit
"The Z3RO Pro Computer is the ideal size for the ultimate in small form factor x86-based general computing," said Jason A. Sullivan , founder, President and CEO. "In this post-PC era, it's clear that there's no reason to buy a tower or mini-tower computer ever again.

Wow. This guy really knows how to appeal to computer enthusiasts.

Where do I sign up?

sc

Since when did size became such an issue for desktop computer cases? You still need a ton for space for the input peripherals and the monitor, what does this form factor suppose to improve (except limiting performance once again)?

If you need to carry a computer around with you, you're better off with a laptop and if you are short of space, you should rethink your work environment.
As for having such a think in the living room... consoles are 4-5 times bigger (and they were even bigger) and nobody complained about that.

IMO it's one of those pos targeted to the mindless sheep consumers which need to be told what they need, Steve Jobs style.

Everyone in the IT business needs a good beating to wake up and focus on what's really important (performance, lower power consumption, improved coding, better interfaces, and so on) and stop with all this BS. Each year it's a step back and human race becomes dumber and dumber.

Last edited:

mediasorcerer

System Name THE MEDIAMACHINE
Processor i5-3570k
Motherboard Asus gene v z-77 matx.
Cooling Antec h20 620
Memory 2x4gb g.skill ripjaws z 2400
Video Card(s) h.i.s radeon 7950 reference 3 gb- hooray!!!
Storage samsung 128gb~830 ssd. samsung 500gb hdrive.
Display(s) 22 inch tele.
Case circa 1996 grey rat box with no sides front.until my own is finished
Audio Device(s) inbuilt creative.supreme effects 3
Power Supply thermaltake tt-500w
Software win 7 x64-
Benchmark Scores Coming soon
Oh yeah-get with the program fellow comp enthusiasts, you can save at least a 2 cubic feet of volume/space and more with this little machine, should make a huge difference in any sort of room/office/bedroom etc, afterall, desktop pc,s are dead.[but dont try any sort of real computing on it]:laugh:

Do these pr morons want the industry to disappear, so all the people can go dumbing down on tablets and mini pc,s?

I get really sick of hearing-pc,s are dead, they are BOOMING ATM!!!

System Name Devil's Canyon PC build
Processor Intel i7-4790K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97X-G1 Gaming WIFI-BK
Cooling Prolimatech Megahalems Black Edition Air Cooler, 2x Akasa 120mm PWN Piranha Fans (push-pull config)
Memory Patriot Viper 3 "Black Mamba" 32GB (4x8GB), 2133MHz, C11-11-11-30, 1.5v
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Windforce X3 GeForce GTX Titan X 12GB GDDR5 (Non-Pascal)
Storage Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SSD, 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, Seagate 8TB Archive HDD, 2TB Samsung M9T HDD
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift 27" 144Hz G-Sync Gaming Monitor
Case Corsair Obsidian 650D Midi Tower - Black, 3x230mm Bitfenix SPECTRE PRO, 1x120mm Bitfenix PWN (SP)
Power Supply Seasonic 660W Platinum Certified Modular
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64
Here is an article saying that the articles you mentioned were not entirely true.

I didn't know of that and thanks for the link. I guess information is getting a little difficult to trust at the moment, but time will bring some more accurate information soon enough.

Processor 7800x3d
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Auros Elite AX
Cooling Custom Water
Memory GSKILL 2x16gb 6000mhz Cas 30 with custom timings
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6750 XT MECH 2X 12G OC
Storage Adata SX8200 1tb with Windows, Samsung 990 Pro 2tb with games
Display(s) HP Omen 27q QHD 165hz
Case ThermalTake P3
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex Titanium
Software Windows 11 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores CB23: 1811 / 19424 CB24: 1136 / 7687
Since when did size became such an issue for desktop computer cases? You still need a ton for space for the input peripherals and the monitor, what does this form factor suppose to improve (except limiting performance once again)?

If you need to carry a computer around with you, you're better off with a laptop and if you are short of space, you should rethink your work environment.
As for having such a think in the living room... consoles are 4-5 times bigger (and they were even bigger) and nobody complained about that.

IMO it's one of those pos targeted to the mindless sheep consumers which need to be told what they need, Steve Jobs style.

Everyone in the IT business needs a good beating to wake up and focus on what's really important (performance, lower power consumption, improved coding, better interfaces, and so on) and stop with all this BS. Each year it's a step back and human race becomes dumber and dumber.
I have some people who ask for products like this, except they want x86, or more like intels NUC. I don't know what laptops or large desktops did to them when they were young but they absolutely want smaller computers. These are people who would be fine with that level of performance also.

System Name msdos
Processor 8086
Motherboard mainboard
Cooling passive
Memory 640KB + 384KB extended
Video Card(s) EGA
Storage 5.25"
Display(s) 80x25
Case plastic
Audio Device(s) modchip
Power Supply 45 watts
Mouse serial
Keyboard yes
Software disk commander
Benchmark Scores still running
D

Deleted member 67555

i read the name for that chunk of poop as Z-3-ro (zee-three-row) But Zero probably makes more sense given it's likely as powerful as a Sempron on a AMD 760 mobo with HD3000 graphics...yay nothing like paying $400 for top-o-da-line 2005 tech.

Reading those links about the Steam Box makes me think it's gonna be a Flop-Box...
If they have to use Linux and don't convert some libraries over to it it's gonna Flop with no sizzle...So what I'm saying is without Windows DX libraries it's nothing more than a piece of shit.

Processor C2duo e6750@ 2800mhz
Motherboard GA-P43T-ES3G
Cooling Xigmatek S1283
Memory 2x2Gb Kingstone HyperX DDR3 1600 (KHX1600C9D3K2/4GX )
Video Card(s) HIS HD 6870
Storage samsung HD103SJ
Case Xigmatek Utgard
Audio Device(s) X-FI Titanium Pci-e
Power Supply Xigmatek NRP-PC702 700W
Software win7 ultimate -64bit
Linux is there because microsoft trying monopolise digital sale business with win8 and noone will wait until microsoft get their market share http://allthingsd.com/20120725/valv...-games-wearable-computers-windows-8-and-more/ .Microsoft backstabbed its partners over ''surface '' tablet and now trying to monopolise another market without any clue.
Gamers made their choose with their wallets it is steam /vavle for pc gaming ,look now where microsoft puslishing own games now ,it is not GFWL .

This is a gamble for microsoft also , Direct X is last thing keeping windows on alot of people's pc .If steam/valve transform gaming to linux/openGL microsoft will take a big hit .And you forget alot of linux/mac game on steam also , still a lot of game needed to re-coded for linux/steam for full transform .

Yes this is a PR something get exagerated ( SP ? ) but there is some truth in it , rumors had intel planning move to BGA packaging =soldered cpus http://www.techpowerup.com/176133/Is-Haswell-the-Last-Interchangeable-Intel-Client-Processor-.html

Another thing is AMD APUs coming this year improving cpu/gpu capabilities and will have more power than a reguler user need for home/office/entertainment (also probably mid level gaming ,but need to see benchs before ).There is always be a desktop market but how big i think it is main question. And one thing remember AMD apus will be on consoles PS4 /xbox 720
I would like one of this devices for 2nd pc also another line needed with DVB-S2/DVB-C etc capabilities

If they have to use Linux and don't convert some libraries over to it it's gonna Flop with no sizzle...So what I'm saying is without Windows DX libraries it's nothing more than a piece of shit.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 67555

I'm very happy with the efforts that Valve is making on taking gaming (real gaming) away from Microsoft, but if they are going to do it and succeed they either need to wait for (and push) Devs to do more OpenGl or come up with a deal with MS for some kind of deal on DX libraries and since they are PC's main sales source they are likely the only company that can do it.

But the average consumer isn't going to make a switch with what they have to offer right now...

Processor C2duo e6750@ 2800mhz
Motherboard GA-P43T-ES3G
Cooling Xigmatek S1283
Memory 2x2Gb Kingstone HyperX DDR3 1600 (KHX1600C9D3K2/4GX )
Video Card(s) HIS HD 6870
Storage samsung HD103SJ
Case Xigmatek Utgard
Audio Device(s) X-FI Titanium Pci-e
Power Supply Xigmatek NRP-PC702 700W
Software win7 ultimate -64bit
Deal for Direct X ? Microsoft ; a company trying to monopolise everything will not make a deal ( even i would not if i was microsoft CEO )

People played on commodere 64s/amigas/DOS etc at past they can use new systems if they need but this raises another question ; Does this average user is a steam user ? Or will stay at windows even if steam moves to linux /open GL ? Hard to talk for now , we can only watch things and saw results later.

Edit : there is one thing generally missing always with steambox talks ; it is a usual pc if you want you can install windows and play windows games at another partition e.g. when steam switch to linux and you dont have linux version of your games ,nothing is stopping this . But steam version linux will standardize things for gaming (much needed for all distributions ) and can be easily distrubited for desktops we own

PS :I think PC gaming is/was something microsoft is/was trying to kill in favor of XBOX

come up with a deal with MS for some kind of deal on DX libraries and since they are PC's main sales source they are likely the only company that can do it.

Last edited:
probably gonna get one and put it in my car... hmmm... in car entertainment gonna be awesome with this thing...

evulmunk33

BitFenix Rep
why dont they mention the CPU and gpu type?
so its probably intel atom or via, which is going to be horribly slow? :S

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
why dont they mention the CPU and gpu type?
so its probably intel atom or via, which is going to be horribly slow? :S

Neither, it's AMD Bobcat. 80 GPU cores was a giveaway.

evulmunk33

BitFenix Rep
Neither, it's AMD Bobcat. 80 GPU cores was a giveaway.
well, thats a decent chip... why didnt they just say its an APU? weird...

the only times companies dont mention the parts used is usually cause its either unknown vendors or not exactly the best components...

well, so essentially this thing is a nettop then, in an aluminum chassis...
mhhh idk, personally id prefer something like the zbox or that acer or foxconn mini nettop... the latter is available with ivybridge inside!
but hey, more options is always great!