• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Bolsters Engineering Talent With Appointment of Two Technology Experts

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
AMD today announced that Charles Matar and Wayne Meretsky have joined the company to assume critical new engineering leadership roles driving hardware and software intellectual property (IP) development for AMD's system-on-chip (SoC) solutions. Matar will draw upon his expertise in SoC and processor design to lead AMD's SoC methodology and client SoC execution. Meretsky will lead the company's software development, ensuring tools will be in place that will enable developers to take advantage of the compute power in AMD's SoC designs.

"Charles and Wayne will serve as key members of our engineering brain trust, bringing with them years of expertise in SoC design and developing 64-bit software ecosystems, respectively," said Mark Papermaster, AMD Chief Technology Officer. "The fact that these computing experts have returned to the company underscores AMD's unique position and opportunity, based on differentiated IP, to take a leadership position in low-power clients and dense cloud servers."

Charles Matar, named corporate vice president of SoC Development, will serve as a crucial force behind AMD's SoC solutions. Joining AMD from Qualcomm, Matar combines technical expertise in SoC processor and low-power design with a proven track record of consistently introducing new designs in advanced process technology nodes. With experience leading multidiscipline, global teams in delivering SoC designs and embedded processors from definition through silicon, he will employ his in-depth understanding of market trends and wireless industry requirements to help AMD shift appropriate focus to client and embedded market opportunities. Prior to Qualcomm, Matar held engineering roles at Motorola, Rockwell Semiconductor, HAL Computer Systems, PMC-Sierra and helped to develop AMD's K8 processor family.

Meretsky, named corporate vice president, Software IP Development, will lead software development for all of AMD's products. Meretsky is a former AMD Fellow who was instrumental in making AMD's 64-bit technology the de facto industry standard for PCs, workstations and servers. He has more than 25 years of development and management experience in the creation of high-volume technology products and has held leadership roles at Rational, Apple and P.A. Semi. In addition to his technical contributions, Meretsky has a strong track record of managing high-performance teams that will help ensure developers, technology partners and customers are fully aligned with AMD's software strategy. Meretsky is also a former P.A. Semi colleague of Jim Keller, whose appointment as AMD's Chief Architect was announced in August 2012.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
They have great engineering already. What they need is a new PR department and a better paid driver team.

System Name ---
Processor FX 8350 @ 4.00 Ghz with 1.28v
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FX-UD3 v4.0, Hacked Bios F4.x
Cooling Silenx 4 pipe Tower cooler + 2 x Cougar 120mm fan, 3 x 120mm, 1 x 200 mm Red LED fan
Memory Kingston HyperX DDR3 1866 16GB + Patriot Memory DDR3 1866 16GB
Video Card(s) Asus R9 290 OC @ GPU - 1050, MEM - 1300
Storage Inland 256GB PCIe NVMe SSD for OS, WDC Black - 2TB + 1TB Storage, Inland 480GB SSD - Games
Display(s) 3 x 1080P LCDs - Acer 25" + Acer 23" + HP 23"
Case AeroCool XPredator X3
Audio Device(s) Built-in Realtek
Power Supply Corsair HX1000 Modular
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Good to know AMD's brain fart is coming to an end. They are getting back their think tanks, this shows confidence in the new leadership.

Hopefully we see this Star rise again!

System Name PC
Processor Intel i5-3570K @ 4.4Ghz
Motherboard ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Cooling Cooler Master V8
Memory G.SKILL RipjawsX 4x4GB DDR3 1600Mhz (F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXM)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 970 (GV-N970G1 GAMING-4GD, rev. 1.0)
Storage Intel 530 180GB + Intel 520 120GB + multiple HDDs
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2770 via DVI
Case Antec Eleven Hundred
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply CORSAIR AX760
Software Windows 7 Pro x64 (w/ all updates + SP1)
AMD could start the road to recovery by putting out (GPU) drivers that actually work. Time to halt the "faster performance" race and focus on stability and reliability. The drivers are doing a gross injustice to the hardware, which is a shame because the alternatives out there are very attractive. Brand loyalty notwithstanding, what else besides value ($) is attractive about AMD today?

Yes, I have stories, but to sum it up, AMD isn't lacking vision, they're lacking focus. They ought to iron out the basics. Bringing in more people, no matter how smart, is looking more like the same-old-same-old from AMD. They are throwing more lumber at the house when the problem lies with the foundation. Fix that, and things will fall back into place.

Please spare me the flaming btw, I supported AMD through my own builds and all the ones I did for friends and family, but not recently as time and time again I felt disappointed in both product options and management, and so I won't support a company that doesn't have it's own house in order.

System Name Desktop
Processor Intel Xeon E5-1680v2
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth X79
Cooling Intel AIO
Memory 8x4GB DDR3 1866MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 970 SC
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB + 2x WD RE 4TB HDD
Display(s) HP ZR24w
Case Fractal Define XL Black
Audio Device(s) Schiit Modi Uber/Sony CDP-XA20ES/Pioneer CT-656>Sony TA-F630ESD>Sennheiser HD600
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Time to halt the "faster performance" race and focus on stability and reliability.

You can stop developing new hardware just because your drivers are a bit shaky (sometimes). With that you basically want HD 4870 performance with great drivers (which will still have issues for someone),....it just won't happen.

System Name PC
Processor Intel i5-3570K @ 4.4Ghz
Motherboard ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Cooling Cooler Master V8
Memory G.SKILL RipjawsX 4x4GB DDR3 1600Mhz (F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXM)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 970 (GV-N970G1 GAMING-4GD, rev. 1.0)
Storage Intel 530 180GB + Intel 520 120GB + multiple HDDs
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2770 via DVI
Case Antec Eleven Hundred
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply CORSAIR AX760
Software Windows 7 Pro x64 (w/ all updates + SP1)
You can stop developing new hardware just because your drivers are a bit shaky (sometimes). With that you basically want HD 4870 performance with great drivers (which will still have issues for someone),....it just won't happen.

No, I meant driver level performance tweaks. FPS increases might be there, but what good is a performance increase in a video game when there are micro-stutters, when blue-screens and "grey-screens" are rampant, when simple things (HDMI...) issues are popping up. AMD could hire a student intern to scout the forums and keep a record of the most common problems (and there's no shortage of information) and direct the engineers to focus in on those issues - instead of putting on this PR stunt that has never worked for them in the past, nor for any other company; and yet continue to put out broken drivers.

System Name Vintage
Processor i7 - 3770K @ Stock
Cooling Scythe Zipang II
Memory 2x4GB Crucial DDR3
Video Card(s) MSI GTX970
Storage M4 124GB SSD// WD Black 640GB// WD Black 1TB//Samsung F3 1.5TB
Display(s) Samsung SM223BW 21.6"
Case Generic
Power Supply Corsair HX 520W
Software Windows 7
They don't need the tech, they need the marketing.

Just look at how successful Apple are. Whether they have good technology/products is debatable, but what isn't is the marketing success they have.

System Name Desktop
Processor Intel Xeon E5-1680v2
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth X79
Cooling Intel AIO
Memory 8x4GB DDR3 1866MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 970 SC
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB + 2x WD RE 4TB HDD
Display(s) HP ZR24w
Case Fractal Define XL Black
Audio Device(s) Schiit Modi Uber/Sony CDP-XA20ES/Pioneer CT-656>Sony TA-F630ESD>Sennheiser HD600
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
No, I meant driver level performance tweaks. FPS increases might be there, but what good is a performance increase in a video game when there are micro-stutters, when blue-screens and "grey-screens" are rampant, when simple things (HDMI...) issues are popping up. AMD could hire a student intern to scout the forums and keep a record of the most common problems (and there's no shortage of information) and direct the engineers to focus in on those issues - instead of putting on this PR stunt that has never worked for them in the past, nor for any other company; and yet continue to put out broken drivers.

I do agree with what you have said, however you can't have an error free driver...especially when it comes to things like GPU's. There are thousands of different configurations and in some cases you can't even recreate the issue.
Both sides have their fair share of issues.

i think the good guy of AMD are going back.. but the problem on them are how to manage their ADS so that their product sell fast? last december i went to a mall here in the philippines all i see on the glass window are all intel netbooks, and i ask the salesman if they have amd netbooks, he reply to me Sir dont buy that amd made netbooks it consume more power compare to this intel netbooks.. i just laugh wahahaha.. i told him i have that kind of netbooks but i cannot run simple photoshop. My brother have sony VAIO y series APU and he can do photoshop editing.