• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Vddc too high at stock?

Toilet_pepper

Processor Athlon x4 640 @ 3.4
Motherboard AsRock 970 Extreme3
Cooling Cooler Master V8
Memory Corsair Vengeance 4GB x 2
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD7950 Dual X Boost
Case Cooler Master Storm Scout
Power Supply FSP Aurum 750 Watts
Software Windows 8 64bit
I'm using a Sapphire 7950 Boost card. I've seen other 7950's before and I feel these are quite high. I load it ramps up to 1.20ish. I tried both BIOS and they're just the same. It doesn't get hot while gaming it just gets around 67C. I tried it once with Crysis 3 overclocked to 1100 core and 1375 mem same temp but I usually revert it to stock when playing non-stressful games. I'm just worried if this stock temp is too high and would fry something.

tp.gif

tp2.gif

Thank you.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
up to 1.25V is normal for 7950 Boost cards(I've flashed every BIOS I could find to my own cards).

Temps are fine, no worries there either, Enjoy your new card. ;)

Toilet_pepper

Cooling Cooler Master V8
Software Windows 8 64bit
Thanks. I'm also wondering about the difference on the 2 bioses. I dont see any changes when switching between them.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Thanks. I'm also wondering about the difference on the 2 bioses. I dont see any changes when switching between them.

You're not supposed to. It is there as a fail-safe, and some cards use it to enable/disable dual-link DVI ports. As an enthusiast, you can use it to try other BIOSes, and have an easy way to recover.

Both BIOSes should be identical on that card, I think. Sometimes people get lucky and find a 1000/1250 MHz BIOS there, but that's luck of the draw it seems.

Toilet_pepper

Cooling Cooler Master V8
Software Windows 8 64bit
Cool. I checked and i aint that lucky. Bios are the same. I'm gonna try and not fiddle with it unless i can find a nice bios to flash it with. Thanks again.

AndrewK

Stock temps are fine... so are the gaming temps you posted. I as a rule of thumb, do not let any of my temps get about 100 celcius (core no more than 80)... If your temps rise above 100 on any sensors phase 1, 2, or 3... vddc, vddci... etc... Then you have a problem with your thermal pads or your heatsink not contacting those specific chips/points on the pcb.

I had a 5970 a couple weeks ago hit 140 celsius on the VRMS (phase 3 I believe) and it was an issue with the thermal pad... it was cracked and when you pulled the heatsink off it took part of the thermal pad with it.

Once I replaced with another thermal pad I had laying around temps dropped to 65 celsius.

Good luck,