• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Seagate Ships New Hybrid Hard Drives

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Building on the momentum of its current line of solid state hybrid drives (SSHD), Seagate Technology plc today announced it will begin shipping its third-generation of SSHD products. Featuring the Seagate Laptop SSHD, 7 mm-high Seagate Laptop Thin SSHD designed for the thinnest and lightest laptops in the industry, and the all-new Seagate Desktop SSHD, the line of drives will deliver blazing-fast performance and high-capacity at an affordable price.

Boasting solid state drive (SSD) like speed and hard disk drive capacity, the new Seagate Laptop and Laptop Thin SSHDs are the most affordable way to increase your laptop performance. With storage performance up to 40 percent faster than previous generations, the Laptop and Laptop Thin SSHDs can add as much as 30 percent to total system performance - regardless of the processor inside the system. These products also enable system builders to build high-performance, high-capacity systems, including new thin and light laptops, at mass-market price points.

Seagate SSHD technology is up to 5 times faster than a standard 5400RPM notebook hard drive. Boot a laptop in less than 10 seconds with the powerful combination of Windows 8 and SSHD technology. In fact according to PC Mark Vantage tests every action related to getting information from storage is faster- booting, loading files and applications, and running computer-based tasks.

With a massive 1TB of capacity available, the Laptop SSHD provides the space needed to download, store and stream rich media content such as gaming or high-definition video without sacrificing performance or responsiveness. And with a 500GB option measuring only 7mm-high, the Laptop Thin SSHD can be incorporated into most ultra-thin, ultra-sleek laptop systems.

"Seagate's engineers have really out done themselves this time. Our new SSHDs serve up your favorite content with the lightning-fast performance you have to experience to believe. With these new drives it's like adding a turbo-charge to your PC, without having to sacrifice capacity, at a price that's easy on your wallet," said Scott Horn, Seagate's vice president of marketing. "Now consumers can create, store and consume digital content like a pro without having to spend like one."

"Seagate's SSHD technology reinforces our focus on delivering the most reliable PC solutions in the industry," said Kirk Schell, vice president, commercial PC group, Dell. "Dell plans to incorporate Seagate technology across an array of our next-generation products so our customers can benefit from the quality, performance, responsiveness and increased capacity these SSHD's can provide."

"By incorporating Seagate's SSHD technology into our product offerings we are able to address customer demand for greater speed, shorter boot up and response times, optimum storage capacity and better battery life, all at a lower price point," said Jerry Gross, vice president, Lenovo global procurement. "As we continue to drive PC innovation in today's markets we look forward to integrating this SSHD technology into a number of our PC families, providing an excellent blend of value and performance for our customers."

New Seagate Desktop SSHD- Ultrafast Performance in a Desktop
With the Seagate Desktop SSHD, users can now experience SSD-like performance while enjoying the capacity of a desktop hard drive- all at a fraction of what a similar size SSD costs. The Desktop SSHD enables a desktop system to boot in seconds not minutes for an "instant on" experience, run favorite applications faster or simply breathe new life into an aging desktop PC. The Desktop SSHD will perform up to 4 times faster than other desktop HDD-based storage alternatives, as measured by PC Mark Vantage benchmark software, regardless of the CPU inside.

Using Seagate's own breakthrough Adaptive Memory technology, to identify and store only the most critical data a system needs to go fast, the Desktop SSHD serves up high-performance without a high price tag. As a result, the Seagate Desktop SSHD will cost you just slightly more than a standard hard drive while delivering dramatically faster performance.

The Seagate Desktop SSHD features up to 2TB of massive capacity and 8GB of NAND Flash making it ideal for accelerating the most commonly used PC applications and delivering extreme desktop performance with all the storage capacity needed for any computing scenario.

"Our customers want the highest storage capacity with the ability to access their data easily and quickly," said Fredrik Hamberger, vice president, consumer PC business, HP. "Integrating Seagate's SSHD solution into our rapidly growing portfolio of industry leading PCs will offer our customers a superior experience while running multiple applications."

"Whether you're into video editing, music or gaming, with Seagate's new Desktop SSHD you can now have your cake and eat it too," said Kevin Wasielewski, CEO and co-founder of Origin PC. "With SSHD technology you don't have to sacrifice massive capacity when you choose faster performance. SSD-like speed, hard drive capacity-all at an affordable price-makes the Seagate Desktop SSHD a perfect choice for gaming enthusiasts like me."

For more information on Seagate Solid State Hybrid Drives please visit this page.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
Well, let's see what these things will cost first and foremost...

System Name Machine XV
Processor Dual Xeon E5 2670 V3 Turbo unlocked
Motherboard Kllisre X99 Dual
Cooling 120mm heatsink
Memory 64gb DDR4 ECC
Video Card(s) RX 480 4Gb
Storage 1Tb NVME SSD
Display(s) 19" + 23" + 17"
Case ATX
Audio Device(s) XFi xtreme USB
Power Supply 800W
Software Windows 10
when will they do it properly and put a decent amount of flash on the drive instead of 8gb? i mean that wont even fit a windows install so what use is it for programs? unless you run your laptop for the sole purpose of internet explorer.

something with atleast 16 or 32gb of flash would allow it to keep the OS and all your programs on flash and allow the hard drive disk to power down to save power.

This is very spooky... I was talking with some friends yesterday about Seagate killing off 7200 RPM laptop pure mechanical drives and we agreed that Seagate was probably fixing to announce 1 TB hybrid laptop drives and maybe a hybrid desktop drive.

Very interested in seeing how these initially price out. Guess: jacked up pricing from the sellers.

when will they do it properly and put a decent amount of flash on the drive instead of 8gb? i mean that wont even fit a windows install so what use is it for programs? unless you run your laptop for the sole purpose of internet explorer.

something with atleast 16 or 32gb of flash would allow it to keep the OS and all your programs on flash and allow the hard drive disk to power down to save power.

Wow ... you dont pay attention, or actually read the articles do you? The 8GB of flash is not to install too. It is a cache used to increase the transfer (read/write) speeds of your HDD. It is basically identical to the 32gb and 64gb caches used by standard HDD's. The difference is, it is capable of much much much faster transfer rates. Think of it like 8Gigs of RAM inside your HardDrive.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
Will this work on SATA I laptops? I would prefer buying something like this, since SATA I speeds are crap anyways and no worth investing into an SSD...

System Name Cypher-C4
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
Cooling Deepcool AK620
Memory 32GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 3200MHz
Video Card(s) Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual
Storage 250GB Crucial MX500 + 2TB Crucial MX500 + 2TB WD Black + 4TB Toshiba + 1TB Samsung F3
Display(s) Acer XV272UP
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D
Audio Device(s) Behringher UMC202HD Audio Interface + Mackie HM-4 + Sennheiser HD 280 Pro + Shure SM58
Power Supply Corsair HX750i
Mouse Steelseries Rival 310
Keyboard Keychron K8 + Kailh BOX Crystal Jade switches + Ducky Good in Blue keycaps
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Wow ... you dont pay attention, or actually read the articles do you? The 8GB of flash is not to install too. It is a cache used to increase the transfer (read/write) speeds of your HDD. It is basically identical to the 32gb and 64gb caches used by standard HDD's. The difference is, it is capable of much much much faster transfer rates. Think of it like 8Gigs of RAM inside your HardDrive.

+1 although I think you meant 32MB and 64MB.

malyleo

System Name Jeba
Processor i7-960 @ 3,2Ghz
Motherboard Asus P6T Deluxe V2, X58
Memory 6GB DDR3 Patriot Viper @ 1600Mhz Triple Channel
Video Card(s) Gainward Bliss GTX480
Storage Raid 0 - 2x 512Gb + Crucial Adrenaline 50Gb SSD Cache, 2TB Western Digital Caviar AV Green Power
Display(s) Samsung 26''
Case Thermaltake Armor Plus
Power Supply Corsair TX850M
Finally

On my desktop machine I do have a Raid 0 with 2x 512GB Hardrives and that's cached through 50Gb Crucial Adrenaline SSD CACHE. Works perfectly, amazingly fast. Cheap way to speed up without the need to reinstall the system.

So finally they are bringing these two together. 8GB should be enough for speedy booting and the most often used applications. :rockout:

System Name Machine XV
Processor Dual Xeon E5 2670 V3 Turbo unlocked
Motherboard Kllisre X99 Dual
Cooling 120mm heatsink
Memory 64gb DDR4 ECC
Video Card(s) RX 480 4Gb
Storage 1Tb NVME SSD
Display(s) 19" + 23" + 17"
Case ATX
Audio Device(s) XFi xtreme USB
Power Supply 800W
Software Windows 10
Yes I know how it works. What I mean is that with 32gb of flash to buffer it should never have to power up the hard drive expept for some occasionally used files and it would be able to keep the entire OS and all your software on the cache so it would perform like a pure ssd.

like the 1Tb OCZ Revo hybrid. it has 128gb of flash and a 1tb hard drive but on a Pci express card. Seagate could so the same but all internal built into the drive via sata III instead of pcie

Last edited:

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Yes I know how it works. What I mean is that with 32gb of flash to buffer it should never have to power up the hard drive expept for some occasionally used files and it would be able to keep the entire OS and all your software on the cache so it would perform like a pure ssd.

like the 1Tb OCZ Revo hybrid. it has 128gb of flash and a 1tb hard drive but on a Pci express card. Seagate could so the same but all internal built into the drive via sata III instead of pcie

If that is what you want you might as well just buy a 32GB SSD. However, that isn't the point of these drives. The 8GB is to cache the most used files. Pretty much all of the files Windows actually uses fits in about 4GB of the cache, and the rest is for your most commonly used programs. It is actually pretty pointless to install all of Windows to an SSD, it is a pretty large waste of space actually.

The point of these drives is to use a smaller amount of SSD space as a cache to keep the drives at basically the same price as a traditional hard drive.

The the 1TB 2.5" is $150. Those are extremely competitive prices for that amount of space in 2.5" drives especially considering they are also 7mm as well.

I will say I'm a little bummed they didn't up the amount of space in the desktop version to 16GB though. I was kind of hoping for that.

And this also isn't a new product line, the first Seagate Hybrid drive came out back in May 2010. It was a 500GB drive with 4GB of cache. Then I believe they released the 750GB with 8GB cache about a year later.

System Name Lailalo
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X Boosts to 4.95Ghz
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus (WIFI
Cooling Noctua
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) XFX 7900XT 20GB
Storage Samsung 970 Pro Plus 1TB, Crucial 1TB MX500 SSD, Segate 3TB
Display(s) LG Ultrawide 29in @ 2560x1080
Case Coolermaster Storm Sniper
Power Supply XPG 1000W
Mouse G602
Keyboard G510s
Software Windows 10 Pro / Windows 10 Home
Got a 64GB Synapse with about 30GB usable for caching and I'll just say...you can use up that space with modern games. I've noticed it. It says is cached the most used titles but switching between SWTOR and BF3 I noticed when going back to SWTOR the load times would all reset. Even after I used them multiple days in a row, it would always reset. Like it had to clear out the data to load more.

So yeah for system files 8GB or so is fine but if your expecting quick loads in gaming...I kinda wished I went for the 128GB model.

malyleo

System Name Jeba
Processor i7-960 @ 3,2Ghz
Motherboard Asus P6T Deluxe V2, X58
Memory 6GB DDR3 Patriot Viper @ 1600Mhz Triple Channel
Video Card(s) Gainward Bliss GTX480
Storage Raid 0 - 2x 512Gb + Crucial Adrenaline 50Gb SSD Cache, 2TB Western Digital Caviar AV Green Power
Display(s) Samsung 26''
Case Thermaltake Armor Plus
Power Supply Corsair TX850M
Revo Hybrid

Before I went to buy the Crucial Adrenaline, I was looking at the Revo Hybrid drive, the speeds are amazing, but they do come at a steep cost. I can imagine that solution in a professional workstation, that would benefit from the capacity and speed best. If they say that this 2.5'' hybrid drive is about $150, that's a very competitive price. I can see more of these drives in all shapes and sizes coming in near future. The SSD cache helped my system a lot, the boot time got down to around 15-20 seconds until it's fully loaded. I mostly play Civilization V, and the loading times in the game are amazingly fast now. So far, in 8 months, the cache failed just once. But it didn't cause any problems nor did I lose any data.

System Name Night Rider | Mini LAN PC | Workhorse
Processor AMD R7 5800X3D | Ryzen 1600X | i7 970
Motherboard MSi AM4 Pro Carbon | GA- | Gigabyte EX58-UD5
Cooling Noctua U9S Twin Fan| Stock Cooler, Copper Core)| Big shairkan B
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws 3600MHz| 2x8GB Corsair 3000 | 6x2GB DDR3 1300 Corsair
Video Card(s) MSI AMD 6750XT | 6500XT | MSI RX 580 8GB
Storage 1TB WD Black NVME / 250GB SSD /2TB WD Black | 500GB SSD WD, 2x1TB, 1x750 | WD 500 SSD/Seagate 320
Display(s) LG 27" 1440P| Samsung 20" S20C300L/DELL 15" | 22" DELL/19"DELL
Case LIAN LI PC-18 | Mini ATX Case (custom) | Atrix C4 9001
Audio Device(s) Onboard | Onbaord | Onboard
Power Supply Silverstone 850 | Silverstone Mini 450W | Corsair CX-750
Mouse Coolermaster Pro | Rapoo V900 | Gigabyte 6850X
Keyboard MAX Keyboard Nighthawk X8 | Creative Fatal1ty eluminx | Some POS Logitech
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 7 Pro 64/Windows 10 Home
And this also isn't a new product line, the first Seagate Hybrid drive came out back in May 2010. It was a 500GB drive with 4GB of cache. Then I believe they released the 750GB with 8GB cache about a year later.

The real question is are they any good? are they faster then a standard HDD and are they more reliable?

If so im interested, if not then ill pass.

System Name [WIP]
Processor Intel Pentium G3420 [i7-4790K SOON(tm)]
Motherboard MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming
Cooling [Corsair H100i]
Memory G.Skill TridentX 2x8GB-2400-CL10 DDR3
Video Card(s) [MSI AMD Radeon R9-290 Gaming]
Storage Seagate 2TB Desktop SSHD / [Samsung 256GB 840 PRO]
Display(s) [BenQ XL2420Z]
Case [Corsair Obsidian 750D]
Power Supply Corsair RM750
Software Windows 8.1 x64 Pro / Linux Mint 15 / SteamOS
I think the desktop parts aren't 7200RPM either, I think they are 5900RPM, like their new 4TB Barracuda.15... (notice how it isn't called 7200.15 instead?). However they promise up to 40% more performance then the former generation... tho on desktop, there is not such thing. Either way, I'm kind of interested in the 2TB Hybrid, apparently $149... so about 160E in my country... Oh well.

System Name Queen Bee
Processor 3570k @ 4.0GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte UD3 Z77
Cooling Water Loop by EK
Memory 8GB Corsair 1600 DDR3
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 Gaming WaterCooled
Storage 1x Western Digital 500GB Black 1x Intel 20GB 311 SSD
Display(s) BenQ XL2420G
Case CoolTek W2
Power Supply Corsair 650Watt
Software Windows 7 Pro
I will say I'm a little bummed they didn't up the amount of space in the desktop version to 16GB though. I was kind of hoping for that.

As am I, I use a 20GB cache and I feel it is sufficient for my needs. However, I also feel that some larger games with large maps/areas that I play often (MMORPG's), 8GB of cache would choke, so WTF Seagate if your gonna make a 3.5 variant why not through some more NAND chips in.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
The real question is are they any good? are they faster then a standard HDD and are they more reliable?

If so im interested, if not then ill pass.

Faster, yes, depending on what you are doing. If you are the kind of person that only plays one or two games at a time, and only switches to a new game once you are done playing the old. Yeah it will be faster than a mechanical drive once it learns that you've switch games. When you first start playing the new game it will be the same as a standard drive, but as you play it it will get faster until the cache is filled.

I think the desktop parts aren't 7200RPM either, I think they are 5900RPM, like their new 4TB Barracuda.15... (notice how it isn't called 7200.15 instead?). However they promise up to 40% more performance then the former generation... tho on desktop, there is not such thing. Either way, I'm kind of interested in the 2TB Hybrid, apparently $149... so about 160E in my country... Oh well.

I'm sure the desktop parts are 7200RPM, the laptop parts are so it would be stupid for the desktop parts not to be. Plus, Seagate said they are moving away from 5900RPM drives a while ago. They only reason the 4TB drive is 5900RPM is because every time a new larger drive is released they release it in a slower RPM first to test the technology, then they release a 7200RPM version a few months later.

Last edited:
System Name ChaosMoes
Processor Intel® Core™ i5-3570K no OC yet
Motherboard Asrock Z77 Extreme4
Cooling Scythe Ninja 3 Rev. B
Memory 16GB 2xPatriot DIMM 8 GB DDR3-1866 Kit (PV38G186C9KRD, Viper 3 Venom Red)
Video Card(s) ASRock Radeon RX 590 Phantom Gaming X 8GB GDDR5 188€@13.07.19 Amazon Sale
Storage Samsung 840 Pro SSD 256GB, + ST32000645NS Seagate Constellation 109€ reichelt.de 2012
Display(s) 27" Phillips PHL 276E9Q 189€ @ Saturn(Germany) 1.09.2018
Case Zaria A20 !!!THANK YOU TECHPOWERUP.COM!!!
Audio Device(s) onboard Sound
Power Supply SeaSonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Microsoft SideWinder X4 Keyboard
As a day 1 user of seagate 320GB momentus xt with 4GB SSD onboard, single platter Sata-1 150 accordingly to my laptop i have to say just buy them!

The drive had some serious issues in the first days but firmware updates got them, just take into account that these take more power than they safe, yet you get some good benefit like no software is needed and the caching works good

in my case the drive made some chirping noise when parking heads, and the first firmware was unstable as hell but then it was fixed

System Name [WIP]
Cooling [Corsair H100i]
They only reason the 4TB drive is 5900RPM is because every time a new larger drive is released they release it in a slower RPM first to test the technology, then they release a 7200RPM version a few months later.

Come to think of it, there's also word of a 7200RPM version with 128MB cache that has the same model code as for the 5900RPM/64MB except for a letter... So you very much might be right. Oh well, we'll see.

I hope these will be affordable. When on sale, the Momentus XT 750GB could go for $90 and at that price it was was quite tempting.

It's too bad these new hybrid drives still only come with 8GB of NAND flash. I would think going to 16GB or 32GB would be better on the long run performance-wise, but I could be wrong.

System Name [WIP]
Cooling [Corsair H100i]
Someone needs to do a RAID 0 review of the desktop parts ASAP.

32GB nand Flash version please!

Seagate, 8GB of Flash is not enough. Yes it is good to make a version with only that amount for the light weight computer users out there to save costs. But for anybody doing serious work, please make a "XXT" version that has 32GB of Flash and does well with caching writes, and is 7200RPM as well for laptops.

I will not buy anything other than this as my first hybrid drive. MUST be 7200RPM.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
Seagate, 8GB of Flash is not enough. Yes it is good to make a version with only that amount for the light weight computer users out there to save costs. But for anybody doing serious work, please make a "XXT" version that has 32GB of Flash and does well with caching writes, and is 7200RPM as well for laptops.

I will not buy anything other than this as my first hybrid drive. MUST be 7200RPM.

I think they are already on 7200rpm. I mean, my first Seagate XT for laptops already had 7200 rpm drive... Agree, 32GB should be better, but this will increase the price ;)

The 3rd gen Momentus XT hybrid drives are 5900RPM not 7200RPM unfortunately. The 1st and 2nd gen (500GB(4GB flash)/750GB(8GB flash)) is 7200RPM.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
So I picked one of these up for my main rig and have been running it for the past week or so.

Even though they are 5400RPM drives, they are very fast. Going from my 7200.11 OS drive to one of these definitely feels like an improvement. The standard programs I use load a heck of a lot faster, and boot times were noticeably faster as well.

I'd definitely recommend one of these and an upgrade if you can't afford and SSD or need more space for storage.