• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Radeon HD 7990 Clock Speeds and Core Config Confirmed, Tested

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Says the dude who only runs a single 7970 or GTX690. :laugh:

Do keep in mind there are a huge number of Crossfire users here on TPU that DO agree it's an issue, and as big of an issue as related, so you'll have a hard time convincing those that use Crossfire there's no problems, and that's it's no big deal.

See, I can be a broken record, just like you.

:slap:

EarthDog: Not a big problem. No I don't run Crossfire.

Xzibit: Yeah, it's an issue....but look, NVidia has the same problems!

Also keep in mind, that W1zz does relate the same issues as being evident, in his reviews, before the PCPer stuff came out. Frankly, nobody really cares about PCPer, as all they showed is WHY we have issues in some instances, but doesn't provide a fix.

Why not just put your opinion on the subject in your signature, and not post? :roll: The less you post about it not being an issue, the less you'll find others posting that it is.
Ran it.. dont need it. 690 was essentially a gift so that is why I run it as opposed to any 1,2,3, or 4 7970's that I have had in the past. I would be running 7970's in CFx if the ones I had fit in my case. ;)

Frankly, nobody cares about people blowing this out of proportion. As I said, is it an issue, yes it is, for some people, not all, not on all titles at or most even. CFx is not "useless" as some fearmongers have stated.

Here is my exact take on this in fact. As a team, instead of fearmongering like was done at many sites/articles...: http://www.overclockers.com/nvidias-fcat-gpu-testing-pursuing/

@ Math - I have always noted this is a problem, just not as bad as A LOT of people have made it out to be is all. :)

Xzibit: Yeah, it's an issue....but look, NVidia has the same problems!

Why not just put your opinion on the subject in your signature, and not post? :roll: The less you post about it not being an issue, the less you'll find others posting that it is.

Seams to work that way. Nvidias issues didnt get that much play even tho it affect more than just multi-gpu setups.

My reason is its not gonna help much by trolling about it. It's just making the forum dummer and perpetuating the Green vs Red mentality.

A better example is what Nvidia users did. They flooded the Nvidia and its Forums for a fix and Nvidia responded 5 months later with drivers that minimized the issue.

Obviously its not a hardware fix since it was apperantly affecting Nvidia both in Non-Vsync and V-sync situations and in Single and Multi-GPU sitiations.

Are there issues fixed ?, No. but you dont see reviewers or as much forum play out of it outside of Nvidias own forum.

Information is there from all the PcPer information has dumped that in single GPU Nvidia has catching up to do to AMD but that not the focus right. No its multi gpu and the same data is showing how horrid the variance is past 1080p Nvidia at there current "Driver Fixed" state.

Driver releases are changing that for both camps and i suspect will continue to keep changing.

You said it yourself. AMD is aware of it and is working towards a solution.

How well served would the forum be if AMD users pointed out that Nvidia has worse variance in single gpu comparasons on every Nvidia news post. Would they be happy until Nvidia releases a statement on it or even after that provided a time window for improvements.

Eventually those "post" show up by those people.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
just not as bad as A LOT of people have made it out to be is all.

The reliability monitor shown above disagrees with you. When installing Crossfire affects a system's integrity, there's a HUGE issue.

Crossfire is useless. :roll: Simply, my "qualifications" for what I consider "working" and what I consider "not working" are different than your own. Yet as much as I am critical of AMD, here I sit with multiple AMD GPUs in the system I am typing from right now...and AMD's driver crashes have BSOD'd my system no less than three times already today. Let's forget frame latency, and talk about REAL issues. :p

Seams to work that way. Nvidias issues didnt get that much play even tho it affect more than just multi-gpu setups.

Personally, I don't have any Nvidia hardware, so I have no idea about what issues they might have. But the fact they do or do not have issues does not minimize AMD's issues, for me. It's just simply not relevant to me, since I hate Nvidia anyway.:p

Please do keep in mind that I am in no way TPU's "spokeperson", My opinions are my own, and do not reflect the opinions of this website, contrary to what EarthDog's link above seems to think.

Last edited:
Please do keep in mind that I am in no way TPU's "spokeperson", My opinions are my own, and do not reflect the opinions of this website, contrary to what EarthDog's link above seems to think.
Perhaps there was something lost in the English to English translation... nobody stated, inferred, nor alluded to you being a spokesperson of TPU. In fact it clearly says the truth... you are a "reviewer" and "posted a thread" which we linked. :toast:

System Name RGB-PC v2.0
Processor AMD Ryzen 7950X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair X670E Extreme
Cooling Corsair iCUE H150i RGB PRO XT
Memory 4x16GB DDR5-5200 CL36 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB
Video Card(s) Asus Strix RTX 2080 Ti
Storage 2x2TB Samsung 980 PRO
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV273K 27" 4K 120Hz (G-SYNC compatible)
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragon Red + Sennheiser HD 650
Power Supply Asus Thor II 1000W + Cablemod ModMesh Pro sleeved cables
Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB with low profile red cherrys
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Typical fanboy crap. Problems? STFU don't talk about them here! It is ruining my ego.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
The reliability monitor shown above disagrees with you. When installing Crossfire affects a system's integrity, there's a HUGE issue.

Crossfire is useless. :roll: Simply, my "qualifications" for what I consider "working" and what I consider "not working" are different than your own. Yet as much as I am critical of AMD, here I sit with multiple AMD GPUs in the system I am typing from right now...and AMD's driver crashes have BSOD'd my system no less than three times already today. Let's forget frame latency, and talk about REAL issues. :p

That is a real issue, but where are the hordes of people experiencing the same thing? It can't be universal as people run crossfire without those issues.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Perhaps there was something lost in the English to English translation... nobody stated, inferred, nor alluded to you being a spokesperson of TPU. In fact it clearly says the truth... you are a "reviewer" and "posted a thread" which we linked. :toast:

Uh...

That is a real issue, but where are the hordes of people experiencing the same thing? It can't be universal as people run crossfire without those issues.

I am one of few users here on Windows8. That's why you don't see many others.

Last edited:

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
THIS THREAD IS ABOUT THE AMD HD7990 FFS!!!!!!

Go and squabble elsewhere!!!!!

Somebody moderate the thread please!!!!!!!!

System Name Zotan
Processor i9-10850K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z490 Gaming X AX
Cooling H100
Memory 32GB Viper 3200
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX3080
Case Airflow 275R
Power Supply RMX850
Benchmark Scores d1nky@hwbot.org

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
I am one of few users here on Windows8. That's why you don't see many others.

Or it means it's not universal. It means we have no way of knowing. Drivers, come!

Typical fanboy crap. Problems? STFU don't talk about them here! It is ruining my ego.

I dont want cadaveca to shut-up. I think hes FRUSTRATED that he spent his hard working money on something that should be working better for him.

The information has been put out there and its fact that it should be working better for him since the competition managed to improve it a year earlier. So it is possible.

I think he is smart enough to know that but when someone frustrated there frusted and thats that. You just cant help it. I think its worse for him cause hes staring at his issue 24/7 <-addict.

I'd go do a WOD or something to cool off.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
LuLz

You're right, Xzibit. I am pretty frsitrated, so I do have pretty strong feeling about AMD releasing a card that "supports" Crossfire in a way that is fundamental to it's ability to work right. I've waited now 18 months for some nice working 7-series Crossfire drivers, and Win8 drivers since Win8 launched.

I did take a break for several months... :eek:

Now AMD's kinda saying they are going to fix it...and I am a bit loath to believe them, since there are many many issues here, and the whole frame latency thing is a just part of it. I really hope AMD pulls this off, honestly, and if they do, I'll be one of the first to buy.

Sweet jebus... our author took a lot more writing freedom than I thought there Dave... my apologies. Had I seen that before, I would have never let it get published like that. That said, I can see how he that impression however...

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Sweet jebus... our author took a lot more writing freedom than I thought there Dave... my apologies. Had I seen that before, I would have never let it get published like that.

Heh, It's not a big deal, but I do try to make sure if I raise an issue, it's a real one. :p Like Frame Latency.

Sorry, couldn't help myself with that one. :p

:roll: Touche kind sir, no doubt its a real issue for some!

We are looking in to changing that around a bit, for the record... :toast:

System Name Mark II
Processor i7 3930k @ 4.5ghz
Motherboard MSI Big Bang Xpower II X79
Cooling XSPC Raystorm + Koolance WBs for GPU + RX360 + EX360 + Nova Xtreme 1080 MCPP 655-B + MCP 655-B
Memory 4x8gb ddr3 1866 ripjaws z
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 7970 + gigabyte 7970 + sapphire 7970 + xfx 7970 with koolance blocks
Storage 1tb samsung F3 + 40gb Intel 320 ssd boot + 1tb WD caviar black
Display(s) 3xLG flatron E2342
Case Xigmatek Elysium
Audio Device(s) integrated ....=(
Power Supply Lepa G1600W
Software Win7 ult
I'm looking forward to the release of this card. It will force ( hopefuly) AMD to fix some of the crossfire issues. If only we ( crossfire/ trifire quadfire) users could get performance like in BF3, only in every game heh.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
:roll: Touche kind sir, no doubt its a real issue for some!

We are looking in to changing that around a bit, for the record... :toast:

Thanks.

My posts in the forums are all my own, and never reflect any opinion TPU as an entity might have. I am not under the employ of TPU.

Personally, TPU is W1zzard, GPU-Z, and all of us users. When I stop doing board reviews, everything else will continue, and I'll still be a user. :p

manofthem

WCG-TPU Team All-Star!
Processor 3900X @ 4.0
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E
Cooling DeepCool Castle 360EX
Memory G Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600
Video Card(s) RX 5700 XT Pulse
Storage Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB
Display(s) LG 34UC88
Case Thermaltake P3
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III 750w
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard G Skill KM570 MX Silver
Software Windows 10 Pro
@cadaveca, earth dog, frick:

I too am running Windows 8 and 7970 crossfire. My cards are overclocked and run 24/7 for WCG, and they only stop when I stop them to game. I said it before: I don't deny the issue of frame latency, and yet I still maintain that it's not as bad as most proclaim, similar to EarthDog's stance.

I'm not particularly addressing Dave, as he may be more sensitive to things like that (I don't get sick from anything in my system), and/or he may be more attune to noticing slight stuttering. Id also bet that most are not at Dave's level, inclouding myself. I have noticed little things randomly, like minor stutter or whatnot, but nothing that has been major.

My games don't crash, and my system runs maxed 24/7. My pc rebooted once during the night a while ago while crunching, not sure why, but it hasn't happened again.

Recently the only issue I had was Crysis 3 crashing a few times, and that turned out to be an unstable overclock. I backed it down 15MHz and it's been fine size.

So tl;dr
My system runs 24/7 and runs well. Yet, I look forward to the newer drivers from AMD, but til then I'm still fine, as most probably are.

And on topic, I'm stoked for the 7990 :toast:

System Name Thought I'd be done with this by now
Processor i7 11700k 8/16
Motherboard MSI Z590 Pro Wifi
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, 9x aigo AR12
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ Neo DDR4-4000 CL18-22-22-42
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 2x Geforce RTX 3070
Storage 1TB MX300 M.2 OS + Games, + cloud mostly
Display(s) Samsung 40" 4k (TV)
Case Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic EVO Black
Audio Device(s) onboard HD -> Yamaha 5.1
Power Supply EVGA 850 GQ
Mouse Logitech wireless
Keyboard same
VR HMD nah
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores no one cares anymore lols
Don't forget that CrossFire runt frame problem. This means that these figures will be totally false and hence real world performance much lower until AMD fix this problem.

Note that these problems mostly disappear when either vsync or just a single card are used.

Read more: http://www.techngaming.com/home/new...s-card-performance-testing-r748#ixzz2RDdNYn00

Have not run amd cards in some time so I can't really comment on the specifics of the issue. I will say if you're running a multicard solution with the above bolded and underlined setting off, you're going to run into issues. Mafia 2 on 480 sli was nearly unplayable with it off at launch. Flip it on and it ran like butter, still does. Now if you're still getting massive issues with vsync on, then I'd think about swapping. But to me a simple settings change shouldn't justify backlash.

again haven't run amd since my 2900xt (and tbh I actually loved that card) so I can't speak to current issues. But even with nvidia multicard solutions, you need vsync on.

System Name Custom build - I built it for gaming and some content creation
Processor Intel i7 12700K on air
Motherboard MSI MAG Z690 Tomahawk WiFi DDR4
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 64GB G.Skill 3600 DDR4 [16GB x 4]
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3070 Ti SUPRIM X, power limit 75% & Mem +300
Storage SSD: Sabrent Rocket 2TB, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB, SSD Samsung 860 EVO 1T
Display(s) 55" Samsung Q80T 120Hz at 4K [on my desk]
Case Cooler Master 922 HAF [3rd 200mm fan in door], 10 years old & fans still run
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Platinum PX-850
Mouse Corsair M55 RGB Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 21H2
Benchmark Scores [GPU Score] Time Spy: 13 925 [Power Limit 75%, MEM +300, GPU Max Power 232w, Max Hot Spot 62.4C
AMD DUAL GPUs

Am I the only one that noticed that both texture and fillrate have more than doubled compared to the 7970 GHz Ed with the same amount of ROPs and a higher clockspeed?
If these are Tahiti chips like the ones used in the 7950 en 7970 series, they should have a lower texture and pixel fillrate at 1GHz.

I wonder what they did to the chip for this to be possible(two typos seem highly improbable to me, unless the table is fake ofc)

Edit: Humansmoke gave me the somewhat obvious answer :D

Regarding problems only involving non-sync with AMD, I would not have problems for those mentioned problems below because I sync my screen frame rate [60Hz].

System Name Ultima
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard MSI Mag B550M Mortar
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 rev4 w/ Ryzen offset mount
Memory G.SKill Ripjaws V 2x16GB DDR4 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 12GB Dual
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB Gen4, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB , 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD sata,
Display(s) ASUS TUF VG249Q3A 24" 1080p 165-180Hz VRR
Case DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200 Audio/Nvidia HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair RM650
Mouse Steelseries Rival 3 Wireless | Wacom Intuos CTH-480
Keyboard A4Tech B314 Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro
System Name Shaman of Sexy
Processor AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE@4Ghz EK Supreme Block
Motherboard M3A79-T Deluxe Anfi-Tech Waterblocks
Cooling Magicool 360 + 120 + 120 Slim scythe slipped Laing DDC-1/T
Memory 4GB Corsair Dominator CM2X2048-8500C5D
Video Card(s) Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 EK 4870 X2 Block
Storage RAID 0 Seagate
Display(s) Samsung 226BW 22"
Case CoolerMaster Cosmos RC-1000 in mod progress
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Coba Nitrox 750W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate
Benchmark Scores http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dmv=1056967
I would love to have that card running in my rig, that´s for shure......
my last two cards where 4870x2 / 6990 and this one will definetly kick greenboys butts !
and yeah the 4870x2 still runs great on latest game titles so it was a good investment.

may i´m blind but the dual card runs great, never had a chance to compare a dual vs. 2 single of same type GPU´s and didn´t realize micro stutters, btw who has time in e.g. BF3 to fetch it ?!

i hope W1zzard will get his hands on it asap :)

Last edited:

Krneki

Don't forget that CrossFire runt frame problem. This means that these figures will be totally false and hence real world performance much lower until AMD fix this problem.

There is truth here. I wouldn't touch a Crossfire setup until this problem is fixed.

Hardware wise, ATI cards are better, but if you want a reliable experience you pay the extra for Nvidia drivers.

System Name Shaman of Sexy
Processor AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE@4Ghz EK Supreme Block
Motherboard M3A79-T Deluxe Anfi-Tech Waterblocks
Cooling Magicool 360 + 120 + 120 Slim scythe slipped Laing DDC-1/T
Memory 4GB Corsair Dominator CM2X2048-8500C5D
Video Card(s) Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 EK 4870 X2 Block
Storage RAID 0 Seagate
Display(s) Samsung 226BW 22"
Case CoolerMaster Cosmos RC-1000 in mod progress
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Coba Nitrox 750W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate