• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Where to place my fan?

System Name Salvaged
Processor AMD Phenom II X6, 1055T
Motherboard MSI (cant remember model..)
Cooling Antec Kühler + extra fans (Antec, Zalman, Coolermaster, Generic brand)
Memory 8Gb (2 x 4Gb)
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon HD6870
Storage Samsung 1TB, 320 Seagate, 250 Samsung
Display(s) LG Electronics
Case ANTEC Sonata III 500 (found/salvaged + modified)
Audio Device(s) 8Ch + Harman Kardon 2.1 (modified, electronics in JVC wood speakers)
Power Supply It's made in Denmark, never seen a PSU made there..
Software Win7 X64 Ultimate
Ok, so the case I'm using is the ANTEC Sonata III 500, there is a fan in the front, that I managed to get there. So it sucks in cool air from the outside, and the watercooler AIO has a push/pull configuration.

So.. What I want to do is use my dremel to cut a hole, and place a 90mm fan somewhere in the case. However, I don't know where is a good spot to place it.

I was thinking maybe at the top, the side or at the bottom. If I would place it at the bottom, I first need to raise the case a bit since the clearance is less than 10mm.
Also, the case is not on the floor, but on my computer desk.

If pictures are needed, please tell me where to take a photo (if it would help).

Thanks

System Name DEVIL'S ABYSS
Processor i7-4790K@4.6 GHz
Motherboard Asus Z97-Deluxe
Cooling Corsair H110 (2 x 140mm)(3 x 140mm case fans)
Memory 16GB Adata XPG V2 2400MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA 780 Ti Classified
Storage Intel 750 Series 400GB (AIC), Plextor M6e 256GB (M.2), 13 TB storage
Display(s) Crossover 27QW (27"@ 2560x1440)
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse Ttsports Talon Blu
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1803
Benchmark Scores Passmark CPU score = 13080
Good Free Case

That's a nice early effort at quiet computing, but it looks like an air cooling nightmare. I would line up the fan to feed the GTS 250 some cool air, by cutting a hole in the side panel & installing on the inside if there's room. Add a magnetic fan filter, such as the new ones by Silverstone, and it'll look like it was made that way. I had to perform a similar mod on my old Dell Dimension 8300 (complete working system found in trash), the video card I added was burning up (see photo). Yes, it's ugly, but it wouldn't fit inside, and I didn't care about looks.

Attachments

• GEDC1697.jpg
    GEDC1697.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 394
System Name Salvaged
Processor AMD Phenom II X6, 1055T
Motherboard MSI (cant remember model..)
Cooling Antec Kühler + extra fans (Antec, Zalman, Coolermaster, Generic brand)
Memory 8Gb (2 x 4Gb)
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon HD6870
Storage Samsung 1TB, 320 Seagate, 250 Samsung
Display(s) LG Electronics
Case ANTEC Sonata III 500 (found/salvaged + modified)
Audio Device(s) 8Ch + Harman Kardon 2.1 (modified, electronics in JVC wood speakers)
Power Supply It's made in Denmark, never seen a PSU made there..
Software Win7 X64 Ultimate
That's a nice early effort at quiet computing, but it looks like an air cooling nightmare. I would line up the fan to feed the GTS 250 some cool air, by cutting a hole in the side panel & installing on the inside if there's room. Add a magnetic fan filter, such as the new ones by Silverstone, and it'll look like it was made that way. I had to perform a similar mod on my old Dell Dimension 8300 (complete working system found in trash), the video card I added was burning up (see photo). Yes, it's ugly, but it wouldn't fit inside, and I didn't care about looks.

Yeah, well than we are on the same level. I'm not much for looks (yet), but performance however is something I really need. Also, the room which the system is located tends to get a bit warmer during the summer, so any cooling to the graphics card would be great.

I was thinking; what if I would say make the case stand on a pair of "legs" so the clearance between desk and bottom of the case would be say around 1 - 2" (2.5 - 5cm?) from the desk, and then mount the fan so it sucks in cool air and blows it directly to the graphics card on fan?

Note: I just have to take a photo of my case and post it on "ghetto mods", everytime I do something it starts to look less than a computer case..

System Name 0x895
Processor Intel i7 4770k
Motherboard Gigabyte UD4-H
Cooling Corsair H80 with Link commander
Memory Corsair Dominator GT DDR3 2000Mhz
Video Card(s) MSI HD6970
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb, 2x Samsung F3 in RAID 0
Display(s) NEC Multisync FE2111 sb
Case 0x895
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D2
Power Supply Corsair AX760i
Ok having a good squint around 'net I think your right not to spoil the side panel with a hole, but what may be possible given your setup would be to replace the front fan with something like a Silverstone AP182 or AP141 (180mm or 140mm) to produce "positive air pressure" within the case -this seems to be the current thinking towards the best air cooling situation.
I would remove the 3.5 drive cages mounting your hard drives in the 5.25 bays removing any obstruction to the airflow. This would involve enlarging the current 120mm hole at the front and keep the cases looks.
It seems the case may be wide enough to mod for a AP182 Antec quote 206mm width?
Having more air entering the case than leaving (ie. 120 out on your WC block and 180 in) will provide more air to your Graphics card.

Hope that helps! Olias