• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 8 'Irrelevant' For PC Users

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
I still think it was massively stupid to bump an old thread just so you can stroke your ego.

So, my huge ego has once again crushed your tiny one? That's hardly surprising, is it? :laugh:

because it was sold for the low low price of $15, of course the sales figures are skewed. the dropped the price and had heaps of discounted sales to make the numbers look decent.

Exactly. Thankyou. :)

Also, every tech pundit out there is reporting how sales have fallen off a cliff, it's doing even worse than Vista, yet our little frick is oblivious to all this (he admitted this just now in public, no less!) and thinks whining at me yet again is the way to go, lol.

Here's an excellent example of what I'm talking about: Windows 8 pushes PC sales off a cliff

Last edited:
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
Funny thing is that Win 8 runs so much better on my old laptop, with 3GB of RAM, than Win 7. It boots faster, loads faster the programs, not so much RAM usage, nice copy file status, but that's about it. Downside is that it takes double the space, and have to install a tom of 3rd party programs to mak it functional, like Start button, skip Metro, re-add gadgets, etc, etc. But for my desktop, I wouldn't add it, not for 1 million years!

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Keyboard Yes
Funny thing is that Win 8 runs so much better on my old laptop, with 3GB of RAM, than Win 7. It boots faster, loads faster the programs, not so much RAM usage, nice copy file status, but that's about it. Downside is that it takes double the space, and have to install a tom of 3rd party programs to mak it functional, like Start button, skip Metro, re-add gadgets, etc, etc. But for my desktop, I wouldn't add it, not for 1 million years!

That's the thing, Microsoft made some really nice improvements to the underlying OS, but then ruined everything with that Metro interface/removing the Start menu and by removing Aero. I'll bet the actual developers who were told to do it were cursing this decision every step of the way. :shadedshu

They also forced key entry right at the start of an install, which I find massively annoying and inconvenient - they had it perfect with W7 and its deferred key entry and activation.

Finally secure boot actually is shutting out Linux as recently reported on several sites, just like I said it would in several articles on TPU (I can dig them out). I've seen recent articles about this, plus a friend told me how bioses from the likes of Dell, HP etc oddly don't have the option to turn secure boot off when it's trivial to implement...

Last edited:
System Name HAL
Processor Core i9 13900k @5.8-6.1
Motherboard Z790 Arous master
Cooling EKWB Quantum Velocity V2 & (2) 360 Corsair XR7 Rads push/pull
Memory 2x 32GB (64GB) Gskill trident 6000 CL30 @28 1T
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 Gigagbyte gaming OC @ +200/1300
Storage (M2's) 2x Samsung 980 pro 2TB, 1xWD Black 2TB, 1x SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB
Display(s) 65" LG OLED 120HZ
Case Lian Li dyanmic Evo11 with distro plate
Power Supply Thermaltake 1350
Software Microsoft Windows 11 x64
Which is why I never got it.. Win 7 x64 ftw.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
IDK 7 ran perfect on an Athlon Machine with 2 GB of ram, so Im not sure about all the bashing, Joe blow only sees the interface not the underhood work.

That's the thing, Microsoft made some really nice improvements to the underlying OS, but then ruined everything with that Metro interface/removing the Start menu and by removing Aero. I'll bet the actual developers who were told to do it were cursing this decision every step of the way. :shadedshu

They also forced key entry right at the start of an install, which I find massively annoying and inconvenient - they had it perfect with W7 and its deferred key entry and activation.

Finally secure boot actually is shutting out Linux as recently reported on several sites, just like I said it would in several articles on TPU (I can dig them out). I've seen recent articles about this, plus a friend told me how bioses from the likes of Dell, HP etc oddly don't have the option to turn secure boot off...

System Name Dell-y Driver
Processor Core i5-10400
Motherboard Asrock H410M-HVS
Cooling Intel 95w stock cooler
Memory 2x8 A-DATA 2999Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) UHD 630
Storage 1TB WD Green M.2 - 4TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) Asus PA248 1920x1200 IPS
Case Dell Vostro 270S case
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Dell 220w
Software Windows 10 64bit

Finally secure boot actually is shutting out Linux as recently reported on several sites, just like I said it would in several articles on TPU (I can dig them out). I've seen recent articles about this, plus a friend told me how bioses from the likes of Dell, HP etc oddly don't have the option to turn secure boot off when it's trivial to implement...

You can activate after installation. Same as in W7. W8 nags you more though.

As for secure boot, you can thank the UEFI Forum for that: http://www.uefi.org/about/
This has been pointed out several times but somehow only MS gets the blame. :rolleyes: Besides the only thing preventing Linux from running with Secure Boot is not implementing it. Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and Fedora 18 can run with SB just fine.

edit: You can turn off Secure Boot on Dell PCs: http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/extras/m/white_papers/20278835.aspx page 11

edit2: Dell XPS 8500 from 3 months ago with W8 preinstalled can turn off Secure Boot. Not sure what PC did your friend test. Can't tell for hp's though.

edit3: An option for disabling SB is required in the UEFI 2.2 spec and up.

edit4: I'm sure you'll selectively forget all of this after closing the browser. :ohwell:

Last edited:

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
So, my huge ego has once again crushed your tiny one? That's hardly surprising, is it? :laugh:

Also, every tech pundit out there is reporting how sales have fallen off a cliff, it's doing even worse than Vista, yet our little frick is oblivious to all this (he admitted this just now in public, no less!) and thinks whining at me yet again is the way to go, lol.

Here's an excellent example of what I'm talking about: Windows 8 pushes PC sales off a cliff

Yes. My ego is very crushed.

And of course I knew about the tanking PC industry, which has little to do with "non-OEM revenue", which is what the image TRWOW posted is about, and was sort of what I was talking about. If you think Windows 8 sucks then yeah it's easy to draw quick conclusions and close the case, as you do, and as that writer does. Nevermind that people don't want desktops because they don't need them and people are tired of those boxes and wires going everywhere, and even the laptop is going the same way. Do people hate Windows 8? Yes. Some people even have good reasons to not like it, but it feels like most people hate it because they are supposed to. Like they did with Vista.

Did MS do some less than enlightened design decisions? Totally yes. But UI overhauls generally attract a lot of hate, no matter how good they are, like with Vista and even XP. And 95. Is the Metro UI suited for desktop use? Not Metro apps (because of the way it does fullscreen and not-quite-fullscreen) IMO, but the rest of it is totally usable. I even know people who likes it better than 7 and think their workflow has improved with 8. And those are people who work with their computers all day.

System Name Red Matter 2
Processor Ryzen 5600X
Motherboard X470 Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling Water is Masterliquid 240 Pro
Memory GeiL EVO X 3600mhz 32g also G.Skill Ripjaw series 5 4x8 3600mhz as backup lol
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming Radeon RX 6800
Storage EVO 860. Rocket Q M.2 SSD WD Blue M.2 SSD Seagate Firecuda 2tb storage.
Display(s) ASUS ROG Swift PG32VQ
Case Phantek P400 Glass
Audio Device(s) EVGA NU Audio
Power Supply EVGA G3 850
Mouse Roccat Military/ Razer Deathadder V2
Keyboard Razer Chroma
Software W10
I upgraded my kids pc from xp to 8. Now I cant seem to get any games to run... Issues with BF3 and Skyrim.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10 Pro
For more fun, here's the actual quote from IDC:

Despite some mild improvement in the economic environment and some new PC models offering Windows 8, PC shipments were down significantly across all regions compared to a year ago. Fading Mini Notebook shipments have taken a big chunk out of the low-end market while tablets and smartphones continue to divert consumer spending. PC industry efforts to offer touch capabilities and ultraslim systems have been hampered by traditional barriers of price and component supply, as well as a weak reception for Windows 8. The PC industry is struggling to identify innovations that differentiate PCs from other products and inspire consumers to buy, and instead is meeting significant resistance to changes perceived as cumbersome or costly.

"At this point, unfortunately, it seems clear that the Windows 8 launch not only failed to provide a positive boost to the PC market, but appears to have slowed the market," said Bob O'Donnell, IDC Program Vice President, Clients and Displays. "While some consumers appreciate the new form factors and touch capabilities of Windows 8, the radical changes to the UI, removal of the familiar Start button, and the costs associated with touch have made PCs a less attractive alternative to dedicated tablets and other competitive devices. Microsoft will have to make some very tough decisions moving forward if it wants to help reinvigorate the PC market."

It is true that the PC is failing to attract people, obviously. What is the core IMO is this: "The PC industry is struggling to identify innovations that differentiate PCs from other products and inspire consumers to buy". According to most people disliking Windows 8 the solution to this ("identify innovations") would be to ... keep it the same? I don't think that is a solution at all. It is all speculation obviously, but people are sort of tired of a traditional desktop. I'm not talking power users, gamers and professionals obviously, but avarage Joes. I truly believe doing nothing wouldn't really help PC sales either. But that sort of discussion is all speculation either way, as I said.

Is Windows 8 The Perfect Solution to the problem of innovating the PC? Probably not, but I'm not really sure what would be. Certinaly not doing more of the same.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
@frick

As long as you keep acting like a total douchebag towards me, embarrassing yourself in public like on this thread and the many others you've crapped to take a lame pop at me, I won't waste my time engaging in conversation with you, regardless of the merit of the points you make.

Got that?

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
Is Windows 8 The Perfect Solution to the problem of innovating the PC? Probably not, but I'm not really sure what would be. Certinaly not doing more of the same.

Unless it is installed on a tablet windows 8 looks and behaves stupidly. Using a mouse to click on giant icons is flat out retarded. I will take my normal desktop over Metro's bull any day. As I said in my last post so does everyone else I know that isn't to lazy to add a simple icon.

System Name i7-PC / HTPC / iMac
Processor i7 3820 / Phenom II 940
Motherboard GIGABYTE G1.ASSASSIN2 / M3A79-T Deluxe
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100i / Scythe II (HS only)
Memory G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600mhz / 4GB DDR2 1066 (@800) Corsair Dominator
Video Card(s) GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB / GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB
Storage 2x 80GB Intel X-25, 2x600gb SATA, 1x1tb 5400RPM storage /1x600GB, 3x500GB,1x160,1x120 SATA
Display(s) 1x 27" Yamakasi / Vizio 42" HDTV
Case Lian Li Lancool PC-K58 / Antec 900
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Striker 7.1 / Onboard and HDMI from ATi Card
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750W / 610W
Software Ubuntu / Windows 8.1 Pro / OS X / PHPStorm / Gaming
because it was sold for the low low price of $15, of course the sales figures are skewed. the dropped the price and had heaps of discounted sales to make the numbers look decent.

i've said this many times and it just gets ignored! I bought two $15 copies that I'm not even using atm save for a broken laptop. You think others didn't jump at a legit version of 8 from 7 for $15? it's kinda silly not to if you are an enthusiast.

According to most people disliking Windows 8 the solution to this ("identify innovations") would be to ... keep it the same? I don't think that is a solution at all. It is all speculation obviously, but people are sort of tired of a traditional desktop.

that's ALL speculation, point a and b. you are taking your opinion and trying to word it in a way that makes it seem factual. the problem with windows 8 is that it is designed for a touch screen. it is obtrusive and nonsensical to use that design on a desktop or laptop without a touch screen. the fact that you have to hack it to fully have metro ui removed, and then it still doesn't work as you'd want is ridiculous.

I'm all for improvement. 7 is AWESOME! and i stuck with xp sp2 through vista. I'll upgrade when it's worth it and when an OS offers a sensible change. Windows 8 is not that sensible change.

System Name Unknown
Processor AMD Bulldozer FX8320 @ 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V
Cooling XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 for CPU
Memory 8 GB CORSAIR Vengeance Red DDR3 RAM 1922mhz (10-11-9-27)
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Storage Samsung SSD 254GB and Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Display(s) AOC 23" @ 1920x1080 + Asus 27" 1440p
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) X Fi Titanium 5.1 Surround Sound
Power Supply 750 Watt PP&C Silencer Black
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
Unless it is installed on a tablet windows 8 looks and behaves stupidly. Using a mouse to click on giant icons is flat out retarded. I will take my normal desktop over Metro's bull any day. As I said in my last post so does everyone else I know that isn't to lazy to add a simple icon.

It is visually more appealing and regardless it substantially changes nothing in terms of anything really.

When you hit start you hit start to look at start, so it just happens to take up the whole screen in Windows 8 versus a small portion of it and not to mention when you hit all apps, you no longer get any "giant" icons. Also if you consider searching for apps through start (which is what I would do since Vista) the concept of size doesn't even pop in to mind. Not to mention if you have your PC hooked up to a TV, it makes a world of a difference even with a mouse.

Last edited:

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
It is visually more appealing and regardless it substantially changes nothing in terms of anything really.

When you hit start you hit start to look at start, so it just happens to take up the whole screen in Windows 8 versus a small portion of it and not to mention when you hit all apps, you no longer get any "giant" icons. Also if you consider searching for apps through start (which is what I would do since Vista) the concept of size doesn't even pop in to mind. Not to mention if you have your PC hooked up to a TV, it makes a world of a difference even with a mouse.

I don't have my PC hooked up to a TV and at the rate things are going neither will anyone else. Smart TV's integrate the small stable Android OS for a reason.

Heck even on a tablet I would much rather have Android's OS over Surface. It works better and the application base is open source, not to mention the kernel itself has been modified by tons of people for the better.

There is honestly nothing you can say or show me about windows 8 on any platform that will steer me. My personal opinion is that it sucks. I have tried it disliked it and found the "intuitive" OS to be the most asinine thing I have had to ever deal with on a PC. Plenty of other people agree with me and the vast majority are pissed their laptop came with Windows 8 on them without the ability to swap to 7. There is a reason for that and you cannot argue it. Windows 7 flat out works. Windows 8 is new weird and clunky to use. I am sticking with what works.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
Nevermind that people don't want desktops because they don't need them and people are tired of those boxes and wires going everywhere

This is news to me. I prefer a machine that can run cool, be upgraded and expanded. And apparently alot of other people feel the same way, because online retailers like Newegg who sell pc parts for building have had extremely good sales figures for the last several years. So, SOMEbody wants these desktops, don't you think? It can't all just be entusiasts, gamers and power users. Average joes are buying motherboards and cpu's and memory, etc for desktops, or the sales wouldn't be phenomenal. I think it's just lore, like urban legend, that the desktop is not popular. That's what most of the anti-desktop media and Microsoft WANT us to believe.

Last edited:
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals

Agree. But frankly is stupid even on mobiles and tablets also. I mean, iOS and Android are using icons since the beginning, and are so much easier and pleasant to use, why does stupid M$ needs to re-invent the wheel??:shadedshu

System Name Unknown
Processor AMD Bulldozer FX8320 @ 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V
Cooling XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 for CPU
Memory 8 GB CORSAIR Vengeance Red DDR3 RAM 1922mhz (10-11-9-27)
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Storage Samsung SSD 254GB and Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Display(s) AOC 23" @ 1920x1080 + Asus 27" 1440p
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) X Fi Titanium 5.1 Surround Sound
Power Supply 750 Watt PP&C Silencer Black
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
I don't have my PC hooked up to a TV and at the rate things are going neither will anyone else. Smart TV's integrate the small stable Android OS for a reason.

Heck even on a tablet I would much rather have Android's OS over Surface. It works better and the application base is open source, not to mention the kernel itself has been modified by tons of people for the better.

There is honestly nothing you can say or show me about windows 8 on any platform that will steer me. My personal opinion is that it sucks. I have tried it disliked it and found the "intuitive" OS to be the most asinine thing I have had to ever deal with on a PC. Plenty of other people agree with me and the vast majority are pissed their laptop came with Windows 8 on them without the ability to swap to 7. There is a reason for that and you cannot argue it. Windows 7 flat out works. Windows 8 is new weird and clunky to use. I am sticking with what works.

I'm not trying to steer you, I could careless about what OS you use. I'm merely commenting on some of the ridiculous statements you are spewing out such as, "It doesn't work for a none touchscreen."

People are stubborn and scared of change, change even as subtle as windows 8. Case in point, "Windows 8 is new weird and clunky to use."

Last edited:

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10 Pro
that's ALL speculation, point a and b. you are taking your opinion and trying to word it in a way that makes it seem factual. the problem with windows 8 is that it is designed for a touch screen. it is obtrusive and nonsensical to use that design on a desktop or laptop without a touch screen. the fact that you have to hack it to fully have metro ui removed, and then it still doesn't work as you'd want is ridiculous.

I'm all for improvement. 7 is AWESOME! and i stuck with xp sp2 through vista. I'll upgrade when it's worth it and when an OS offers a sensible change. Windows 8 is not that sensible change.

Everything is specualition. I even said so. Everything beyond hard figure sales is speculation, no matter what you think.

Abot desktops and compnent sales: more people might build their own systems, but i dont think it maks up for the loss of OEM sales. Also speculation obviously, would be nice to see a deeper story about it. Btw, i can only go with what peope around me do, but almost literally everyone i know dont like desktops. They are all on AIO's, tablets and laptops. Doesnt prove anything of course.

Memory G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600mhz / 4GB DDR2 1066 (@800) Corsair Dominator
Storage 2x 80GB Intel X-25, 2x600gb SATA, 1x1tb 5400RPM storage /1x600GB, 3x500GB,1x160,1x120 SATA
Everything is specualition.
They are all on AIO's, tablets and laptops. Doesnt prove anything of course.

I think the problem then comes in the fact that you present this information as though it refutes others' equally valid experiences.

I see a LOT more desktops than laptops, tablets or AIOs and they are all for small offices. they'd rather replace a $300 desktop every 3-4 years then go with a $800 laptop or $800+AIO, or a tablet that's too small to do their job.Offices are probably the leaders in market technology, as they buy everything in bulk and upgrade on a semi-regular pattern.

so there is what i see, it doesn't negate anything you see or experience but it is another side to the coin. my point being, stop pushing your experience as though it's the only valid one. and if you don't realize that is what you are doing, i'm letting you know so now you should realize that, it is in fact what you are doing.

System Name Vintage
Processor i7 - 3770K @ Stock
Cooling Scythe Zipang II
Memory 2x4GB Crucial DDR3
Video Card(s) MSI GTX970
Storage M4 124GB SSD// WD Black 640GB// WD Black 1TB//Samsung F3 1.5TB
Display(s) Samsung SM223BW 21.6"
Case Generic
Power Supply Corsair HX 520W
Software Windows 7
I think the problem then comes in the fact that you present this information as though it refutes others' equally valid experiences.

I see a LOT more desktops than laptops, tablets or AIOs and they are all for small offices. they'd rather replace a $300 desktop every 3-4 years then go with a $800 laptop or $800+AIO, or a tablet that's too small to do their job.Offices are probably the leaders in market technology, as they buy everything in bulk and upgrade on a semi-regular pattern.

so there is what i see, it doesn't negate anything you see or experience but it is another side to the coin. my point being, stop pushing your experience as though it's the only valid one. and if you don't realize that is what you are doing, i'm letting you know so now you should realize that, it is in fact what you are doing.

I agree with Frick when I see people buying ultrabooks and iPads. Desktops are being more and more a business thing, with the average user finding that the tablets and light weight portable laptops having more than enough hardware to look up facebook.

again, I would argue that the business sector counts for more purchases overall, so even though you may see a decline in the consumer sector that doesn't point to an overall decline AS LARGE as is being proposed.

I don't for a second argue that they are not becoming less popular, or that there will not be a time relatively soon where they are relegated to mostly just enthusiasts. but to say that time has already been reached is simply false.

I work with offices and end users, and I still have plenty of consumer clients that do not want to go the way of a laptop or tablet. that's generally the "stick with what you know" mindset, but it's real and it has an effect that i think should be recognized.

System Name Vintage
Cooling Scythe Zipang II
Video Card(s) MSI GTX970
Case Generic
Software Windows 7
again, I would argue that the business sector counts for more purchases overall, so even though you may see a decline in the consumer sector that doesn't point to an overall decline AS LARGE as is being proposed.

I don't for a second argue that they are not becoming less popular, or that there will not be a time relatively soon where they are relegated to mostly just enthusiasts. but to say that time has already been reached is simply false.

I work with offices and end users, and I still have plenty of consumer clients that do not want to go the way of a laptop or tablet. that's generally the "stick with what you know" mindset, but it's real and it has an effect that i think should be recognized.

This is true, perhaps the offices of the future will be developed with the iPad generation of users in mind though.

Oh god that would be awful.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
Desktops are being more and more a business thing, with the average user finding that the tablets and light weight portable laptops having more than enough hardware to look up facebook.

But just who IS this average user? Point in fact, the myth of PC gaming dying has proven to be false, as now that PC games are downloadable everywhere, not just on Steam, PC game sales have been taking an ever-larger market share from consoles. And the average desktop might only be able to play half the titles, with laptops that can play them as they are meant to be played being an even smaller percentage. So what do people do? They are building desktops or upgrading them. Someone is buying desktop memory, GPU's, cases, motherboards, and cpu's by the truckload, and its certainly not businesses. So between businesses and all these self-builds, as well as people buying these desktop components to upgrade their OEM computers, the desktop is not on the wane.

What we DO see is people being more mobile, and buying tablets and laptops and phones and using these things in addition to their desktops they have at home. Because a desktop lasts longer, with only the occasional component upgrade here and there, the illusion is created that they are not as popular, simply because the mobile devices must be replaced in their entirety most of the time in order to upgrade. That equates to more sales than desktops yes, but it doesn't tell the whole story.

Just my two cents.

Last edited:
System Name Vintage
Cooling Scythe Zipang II
Video Card(s) MSI GTX970
Case Generic
Software Windows 7
But just who IS this average user?

People who use the internet to send/receive emails, social networking, and occasionally typing up letters/word documents.

If you got all the students in a University and questioned them, you'd find that the majority would be using laptops for doing work, maybe with the addition of a Tablet because why not, and using xbox360/PS3 for gaming.
(Yes I am well aware of the comparatively small group of those that would use PC for games, but that is what it is, a small group.

What we DO see is people being more mobile, and buying tablets and laptops and phones and using these things in addition to their desktops they have at home. Because a desktop lasts longer, with only the occasional component upgrade here and there, the illusion is created that they are not as popular, simply because the mobile devices must be replaced in their entirety most of the time in order to upgrade. That equates to more sales than desktops yes, but it doesn't tell the whole story.

Just my two cents.

I think this is a REALLY good point.