• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Announces Commencement of Exchange Offer for its 7.50% Senior Notes

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
AMD (NYSE: AMD) announced today that it has commenced a registered exchange offer to exchange any and all of its outstanding 7.50% Senior Notes due 2022, which were issued in a private placement (the "Private Notes,") for an equal principal amount of new 7.50% Senior Notes due 2022 that have been registered under the Securities Act of 1933, as amended (the "Registered Notes").

The sole purpose of the exchange offer is to fulfill AMD's obligations with respect to the registration of the Private Notes. Pursuant to a registration rights agreement entered into by AMD in connection with the sale of the Private Notes, AMD agreed to file with the Securities and Exchange Commission a registration statement relating to the exchange offer pursuant to which AMD would offer to exchange any Private Notes tendered by the holders of those notes for Registered Notes containing terms that are substantially identical to the Private Notes.

Any Private Notes not tendered for exchange in the exchange offer will remain outstanding and continue to accrue interest, but will not retain any rights under the registration rights agreement except in limited circumstances.

The terms of the exchange offer are contained in the exchange offer prospectus dated May 3, 2013.

The exchange offer will expire at 5:00 p.m., New York City time, June 3, 2013, unless extended. Private Notes tendered pursuant to the exchange offer may be withdrawn at any time prior to the expiration date by following the procedures set forth in the exchange offer prospectus.

Requests for assistance or for copies of the exchange offer prospectus should be directed to the exchange agent: Wells Fargo Bank, National Association, 608 2nd Avenue South, 12th Floor, MAC CODE: N9303-121, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55402, Attention: Bondholder Communications, (800) 344-5128.

This press release shall not constitute an offer to sell or exchange any securities or a solicitation of an offer to buy or exchange any securities. The exchange offer will be made only by means of a written prospectus.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name PC || Acer Nitro 5
Processor Ryzen 9 5900x || R5 2500U @ 35W
Motherboard MAG B550M MORTAR WIFI || default
Cooling 1x Corsair XR5 360mm Rad||
Memory 2x16GB HyperX 3600 @ 3800 || 2x8GB DDR4 @ 2400MTs
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080Ti Sea Hawk EK X || RX 560X
Storage Samsung 9801TB x2 + Striped Tiered Storage Space (2x 128Gb SSD + 2x 1TB HDD) || 128GB + 1TB SSD
Display(s) Iiyama PL2770QS + Samsung U28E590, || 15,6" 1080P IPS @ 100Hz Freesync enabled
Case SilverStone Alta G1M ||
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DX
Power Supply Cooler Master V850 SFX || 135Watt 19V OEM adaptor
Mouse ROG Pugio II
Software Win 11 64bit || Win 11 64bit
Can anyone with more business sense explain what exactly is happening here?

I never really heard of Senior Notes before, but it sounds like its some kind of debt they want to pay of early to reduce the amount of interest they have to pay over the long run?

System Name Windows 10 64-bit Core i7 6700
Processor Intel Core i7 6700
Motherboard Asus Z170M-PLUS
Cooling Corsair AIO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Kingston DDR4 2666
Video Card(s) Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB, Seagate Baracuda 1 TB
Display(s) Dell P2414H
Case Corsair Carbide Air 540
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX v2 650W
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro, Cherry MX Reds
Software MS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Can anyone with more business sense explain what exactly is happening here?

I never really heard of Senior Notes before, but it sounds like its some kind of debt they want to pay of early to reduce the amount of interest they have to pay over the long run?

There is this definition that mentions "going under" several times ... I don't like it

Definition of 'Senior Debt'
Borrowed money that a company must repay first if it goes out of business. Companies have a number of options for obtaining financing, including bank loans and the issuance of bonds and stocks. Each type of financing has a different priority level in being repaid if the company decides to liquidate. If the company goes under, the holders of each type of financing have different levels of rights to the company's assets.

I'm no financial expert and I found that on investopedia linked in wikipedia article. I would also like to know more from someone who is more in touch.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
IIRC AMD last quarter actually didn't post any losses. Though gains weren't incredibly substantial, I think AMD is re-arranging it's funds to offset any outstanding loans that they might have. Senior notes refer to loans held by AMD that have the greatest priority to be repaid over other loans. AMD's stock has been showing some signs of recovery, but we won't really know for a little while whether or not it is here to stay. If you bought when it was 2.40 a share, you're in business because it's value has increased by almost 50% in the last two weeks.

I don't think this changes a whole lot, AMD is still just as risky of an investment as it was before I read this.

IIRC AMD last quarter actually didn't post any losses. Though gains weren't incredibly substantial, I think AMD is re-arranging it's funds to offset any outstanding loans that they might have. Senior notes refer to loans held by AMD that have the greatest priority to be repaid over other loans. AMD's stock has been showing some signs of recovery, but we won't really know for a little while whether or not it is here to stay. If you bought when it was 2.40 a share, you're in business because it's value has increased by almost 50% in the last two weeks.

I don't think this changes a whole lot, AMD is still just as risky of an investment as it was before I read this.

AMD is just trying too hard to not die. They've been losing money consistently every quarter for several years now. The Faildozer and their horrible management is to be blamed for that. Heck, optimized STAR cores do better than Bulldozer in every workload and they're smaller in size. They should've gone with the hyper-threading route, instead of splitting parts and leaving parts to "optimize efficiency", and ended up with a chip that's 300mm^2 and 50% higher power consumption than the Intel counterparts. A Piledriver core is close to half the performance of a Ivy Bridge core at the same operating frequency, and 2/3 the performance of a 10.5K core.

Overall, AMD has not been doing well, and they're not able to compete with Intel.

AMD is just trying too hard to not die. They've been losing money consistently every quarter for several years now. The Faildozer and their horrible management is to be blamed for that. Heck, optimized STAR cores do better than Bulldozer in every workload and they're smaller in size. They should've gone with the hyper-threading route, instead of splitting parts and leaving parts to "optimize efficiency", and ended up with a chip that's 300mm^2 and 50% higher power consumption than the Intel counterparts. A Piledriver core is close to half the performance of a Ivy Bridge core at the same operating frequency, and 2/3 the performance of a 10.5K core.

Overall, AMD has not been doing well, and they're not able to compete with Intel.

The ignorance espoused by the clueless and hateful is appalling and absurd.

According to the "exSPERTS" AMD has been going out of business for the past 40 years even when they actually produced Intel's CPUs for them. Yeah, that's right AMD produced Intel CPUs for them 40 years ago.

Now that we have cleared up the B.S. from the peanut gallery... AMD will continue to stay in Biz as long as they continue to deliver quality products that consumers desire. AMD's recent contract win for the next Xbox, PS and Wii is estimated to result in the sales of 5 million APUs. That in itself is a hugh chunk of Biz that neither Intel nor Nvidia got because AMD APUs are simply superior. Consumers win and the industry exploiters lose. BTW, Intel and Nvidia sales and market share continue to drop while AMDs continues to increase. The Times, they are a changin'.

As far as the article and senior notes are concerned AMD had agreed to exchange private notes for registered notes in accordance with their SEC agreement. This has absolutely NOTHING to do with AMD's financial status. The new and old shares have the exact same value. What it does is offer those who purchased senior notes under private issue, the opportunity to swap those shares for registered notes where they will will have voting rights, which will not be afforded to the private notes previously issued.

Hating doesn't change the facts but it exposes the ignorance of those who demonstrate such worthless endeavors.

http://online.wsj.com/article/PR-CO-20130503-912962.html

System Name Daves
Processor AMD Ryzen 3900x
Motherboard AsRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Enermax LIQMAX III 360
Memory 32 GiG Team Group B Die 3600
Video Card(s) Powercolor 5700 xt Red Devil
Storage Crucial MX 500 SSD and Intel P660 NVME 2TB for games
Display(s) Acer 144htz 27in. 2560x1440
Case Phanteks P600S
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply Corsair RM 750
Mouse EVGA
Keyboard Corsair Strafe
Software Windows 10 Pro

According to the "exSPERTS" AMD has been going out of business for the past 40 years even when they actually produced Intel's CPUs for them. Yeah, that's right AMD produced Intel CPUs for them 40 years ago.

Now that we have cleared up the B.S. from the peanut gallery... AMD will continue to stay in Biz as long as they continue to deliver quality products that consumers desire. AMD's recent contract win for the next Xbox, PS and Wii is estimated to result in the sales of 5 million APUs. That in itself is a hugh chunk of Biz that neither Intel nor Nvidia got because AMD APUs are simply superior. Consumers win and the industry exploiters lose. BTW, Intel and Nvidia sales and market share continue to drop while AMDs continues to increase. The Times, they are a changin'.

As far as the article and senior notes are concerned AMD had agreed to exchange private notes for registered notes in accordance with their SEC agreement. This has absolutely NOTHING to do with AMD's financial status. The new and old shares have the exact same value. What it does is offer those who purchased senior notes under private issue, the opportunity to swap those shares for registered notes where they will will have voting rights, which will not be afforded to the private notes previously issued.

Hating doesn't change the facts but it exposes the ignorance of those who demonstrate such worthless endeavors.

I hope you are right,id hate to see AMD fold..

System Name ODIN
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Memory G Skill RipjawsV F4 3600 Mhz C16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC LHR
Storage Crucial 2 TB M.2 SSD :: WD Blue M.2 1TB SSD :: 1 TB WD Black VelociRaptor
Display(s) Dell S2716DG 27" 144 Hz G-SYNC
Case Fractal Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Onboard Audio
Power Supply Antec HCP 850 80+ Gold
Mouse Corsair M65
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Lux
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores I don't benchmark.

Thank you.

System Name Current Rig
Processor AMD 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI x670e Tomahawk wifi
Cooling Artic Freezer II 360
Memory G.Skill 32gb ddr5 6000mhz
Video Card(s) AMD 7900XTX 24 GB
Storage Samsung SSD 980 PRO 2TB
Display(s) Alienware 3420DW 120 Freesync
Case LianLi Lancool III white non-rgb
Audio Device(s) Onboard ALC
Power Supply Corsair Shift 1000W
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard Ducky Shine 5
Software Win 11 64bit
Benchmark Scores The second best!

I think this week''s rise in AMD stock price had more to do with an article floating around saying Intel should just gobble them up. But like you say, AMD is risky for sure but I'm rooting for them because I would hate no competition in the x86 market.

vinibali

Heck, optimized STAR cores do better than Bulldozer in every workload and they're smaller in size.

I agree: AMD's Stars architecture is a great one! but 2of them isnt smaller than a Bulldozer/Piledriver/Steamroller etc module, and it performs even better! it was important to use these in the Trinity and the further platforms, cos in the APU-s you dont have too much room for the whole die. for significant GPU performance, u need the smallest CPU core as possible! feel free to check the die size :)
http://prohardver.hu/dl/cnt/2012-10/90356/picz/llano_trinity_die.png

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Software MacOS 12.1
I think this week''s rise in AMD stock price had more to do with an article floating around saying Intel should just gobble them up. But like you say, AMD is risky for sure but I'm rooting for them because I would hate no competition in the x86 market.

For high performance x86 it would be a shame, but for low power I would take a VIA quad-core over an Atom any day.

vinibali

For high performance x86 it would be a shame, but for low power I would take a VIA quad-core over an Atom any day.

for low-power AMD had another very efficient architectures, like Bobcat and Jaguar

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
I agree: AMD's Stars architecture is a great one! but 2of them isnt smaller than a Bulldozer/Piledriver/Steamroller etc module, and it performs even better! it was important to use these in the Trinity and the further platforms, cos in the APU-s you dont have too much room for the whole die. for significant GPU performance, u need the smallest CPU core as possible! feel free to check the die size :)
http://prohardver.hu/dl/cnt/2012-10/90356/picz/llano_trinity_die.png

Intel has shown that a shorter pipeline is better. When you start increasing the length of the pipeline branch prediction gets a lot harder so I'm hoping we see some good CPUs from AMD using the Jaguar cores that are supposed to be used in the new Playstation. I really would like to see them push a smaller pipeline like Jaguar's but still manage to hold on to some of the modularity of BD and PD because for multithreaded workloads the module idea works pretty well if you want to optimize the performance of particular components. If you know the CPU is going to bottleneck on some things and other thing will be left unused, it's a smart idea to share components so you can optimize for the components that are needed more.

Think about it, the vast majority of calculations the CPU does is integer math, so it makes sense that AMD would opt for two integer cores over two floating point cores, but that does you little good when you miss-predict a branch and you have to redo the last so many CPU cycles over again ditching everything in the pipeline. That can get costly, even more so when you have a larger pipeline. So I think AMD needs to ditch the long pipeline and either has to find a way to get modules to run with a smaller pipeline or ditch modules all together because it's the single biggest thing holding them back unless they can pull a rabbit out of a hat when it comes to branch prediction. They seemed to iron out a lot of the cache issues in PD.

Edit:
for low-power AMD had another very efficient architectures, like Bobcat and Jaguar
Yeah! I'm pretty excited about Jaguar. I've been wanting to convert my gateway to something a little less powerful.

System Name PC || Acer Nitro 5
Processor Ryzen 9 5900x || R5 2500U @ 35W
Motherboard MAG B550M MORTAR WIFI || default
Cooling 1x Corsair XR5 360mm Rad||
Memory 2x16GB HyperX 3600 @ 3800 || 2x8GB DDR4 @ 2400MTs
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080Ti Sea Hawk EK X || RX 560X
Storage Samsung 9801TB x2 + Striped Tiered Storage Space (2x 128Gb SSD + 2x 1TB HDD) || 128GB + 1TB SSD
Display(s) Iiyama PL2770QS + Samsung U28E590, || 15,6" 1080P IPS @ 100Hz Freesync enabled
Case SilverStone Alta G1M ||
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DX
Power Supply Cooler Master V850 SFX || 135Watt 19V OEM adaptor
Mouse ROG Pugio II
Software Win 11 64bit || Win 11 64bit
Yeah! I'm pretty excited about Jaguar. I've been wanting to convert my gateway to something a little less powerful.

Seeing as this thread has derailed anyway;

http://www.planet3dnow.de/cgi-bin/newspub/viewnews.cgi?id=1366210905

Shows jaguar ipc performance rivaling core2duo, with it being as fast as c2d in single threaded, and slightly faster in multi threaded performance.
So 8 of these in the PS4 and Xbox infinity would basically main a core2octa on die, lol.
Quite exited by that prospect aswell, however, I dont see these cores as a substitution for bulldozer cores, but rather, that they will converge/diverge, to a point at which they both share the same global make-up(some parts shared between cores), but with the successor of jaguar being tuned for lower power/lower performance, while bulldozer stays tuned for high power high performance.

On topic: still wondering what exactly the news value of this article is. Why is AMD exchanging these "shares", and if it isn't relevant, why post a news article about it?
Can't make heads of tails of it =D