• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Experiencing Latency at Certain Hops in Trace Route

Processor i5-6600k (4.2 GHz)
Motherboard Asus Z170-P D3
Memory Crucial 16GB DDR3L 1600MHz
Video Card(s) GTX 970
Storage Samsung 850 Pro
Display(s) Philips 272G5DYEB + Samsung LED HDTV
Case Cooler Master HAF 912
Power Supply Corsair 700W
Software Windows 8.1 64 Bit
There's an odd problem where a lot of League of Legends players are currently experiencing lag with the server, though it doesn't seem to be too widespread or the entire forum would be blown up with complaints. In their Help & Support forum, quite a number of the people experiencing problems are on the east coast (Server is in CA), and I notice a lot of people with Verizon Fios, myself included.

I performed a trace route to na.leagueoflegends.com both while things were perfectly fine, and again when I experienced lag in game and saw a noticeable difference in latency.

As you can see in the screenshot, the first trace route I ran the latency is all low on every hop. The subsequent two tests show higher latencies, though Verizon tells me they're only responsible for the first 4 hops and that this is not their problem. Riot, the company that makes LoL, claims this isn't their problem either. I have a friend who lives 3 blocks away with Fios as well who has no problems at all, and I've seen other people say the same thing where friends who live nearby have no problems.

Here's a link to the support forum with a pretty massive thread, just to show it's not a small handful of people experiencing the problem.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2846899&page=194

TL;DR: Having lag in game, both ISP and game company claim the issue isn't their problem and the problem is something in between with how the connection is being routed.

I'm not that experienced with networking problems like this, is there anything that can be done to avoid these lagging hops?

System Name MRCOMP!
Processor 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI Gaming Plus
Cooling Corsair 280 AIO
Memory 64GB 3600mhz
Video Card(s) GTX3060
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung Neo
Case No Case... just sitting on cardboard :D
Power Supply Antec 650w
Your only option is to use a lag reducing proxy which just routes your data packets along a different network and may or may not increase or reduce latency.

There is pretty much nothing that can be done and you must wait for the congested network link to free up.

Processor i5-6600k (4.2 GHz)
Motherboard Asus Z170-P D3
Memory Crucial 16GB DDR3L 1600MHz
Video Card(s) GTX 970
Storage Samsung 850 Pro
Display(s) Philips 272G5DYEB + Samsung LED HDTV
Case Cooler Master HAF 912
Power Supply Corsair 700W
Software Windows 8.1 64 Bit
Your only option is to use a lag reducing proxy which just routes your data packets along a different network and may or may not increase or reduce latency.

There is pretty much nothing that can be done and you must wait for the congested network link to free up.

Is this difficult to do? I'd like to give it a shot. Is there any software I need to do it and are there any guides you could recommend?

Edit: I dropped $5 on 30 days of Battleping, and my ping is now 78 which is lower than it used to be even on a good day, normally 85-90. It's night time though, so I'm curious how things will hold up tomorrow afternoon and if I'll have anymore problems.

Last edited: