• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Alienware Updates its Gaming Laptop Lineup

Alienware, the pioneer in specialty high-performance PC gaming systems, introduced its latest and most powerful gaming laptops with the unveiling of the Alienware 14, Alienware 17 and Alienware 18 at E3 in Los Angeles. The systems feature a bold new design and extraordinary performance, uniquely engineered to deliver the ultimate gaming experience.

The new laptops include the Alienware 14 for the enthusiast gamer who requires a laptop that provides enough performance for any task, yet is mobile enough to fit into a backpack; the Alienware 17 for an immersive, graphics-intensive experience with the latest technologies for desktop-grade performance; and the Alienware 18, the ultimate gaming laptop that commands respect among top gamers for its unparalleled performance and construction.

All three laptops feature a new, iconic, angular design that takes its cues from jet engines and stealth bombers with an anodized aluminum shell and magnesium alloy body. The latest laptops are exceptionally durable, with over 60 percent of the main mechanical components made of various metals. The keyboard is protected by a reinforced plate to ensure a solid typing experience, while the travel and responsiveness is specifically designed with gamers' needs in mind. Based on customer feedback, the new Alienware 14 now features an anti-glare LCD display with wide viewing angles for reflection-free gaming in nearly any lighting condition, including a premium Full HD panel option with IPS. For 3D gaming enthusiasts, the Alienware 17 has an optional 3D panel for an immersive visual experience, while the Alienware 18 will feature a Full HD display with PLS wide viewing-angle technology.

Along with the new design, the laptops also feature a number of components that when combined create a superb PC gaming experience. The laptops sport full voltage, quad-core 4th generation Intel Core i7 processors, and NVIDIA GeForce 700 series graphics. DDR3L memory provides exceptional bandwidth with lower voltage requirements designed for increased battery life, and the laptops now provide support for up to three storage drives on the Alienware 14, and up to four storage drives on the Alienware 17 and 18. For the first time ever, the Alienware 18 will feature NVIDIA SLI dual graphics technology as standard, and the laptop will offer an overclocked CPU option with a maximum speed of 4.3 GHz. The laptops all feature Ethernet technology by Qualcomm's Killer networks, Klipsch speakers and Dolby Home Theater v4 audio.

The updated Alienware Command Center software provides intuitive, user-friendly access to Alienware-exclusive applications and controls in one centralized hub. Command Center includes the exclusive AlienFX lighting control system which allows users to create their own custom lighting themes and special effects. The new laptops have up to 20 colors to choose from across 10 different lighting zones, totaling to over 10 trillion lighting combinations. Alienware has worked closely with game developers to incorporate AlienFX in over 60 game titles, including cross-platform titles like Anomaly2, to PC-exclusive titles like SMITE and Neverwinter, for an immersive experience that can only be found on an Alienware. Whether healing, taking damage, or completing missions, AlienFX lights are an extension of the game play. Alienware Command Center also features AlienAdrenaline, a custom configurable game and application automation tool, the new Accelerator dynamic performance optimizer, and a new performance monitoring tool.

"The new laptops and matching Vindicator bags are the latest culmination of listening and learning from our customers since we delivered our first gaming system back in 1996," said Frank Azor, General Manager of Alienware. "We spent countless hours meticulously thinking through every detail of these new products to ensure they would be the most amazing line-up we've introduced yet."

Alienware X51 - Big Gaming in Any Living Space

Last week, Alienware announced an update to its award-winning X51 gaming desktop, which provides big gaming without a big box or big budget and on any HDTV. The new X51 offers more performance with improved technology in nearly every category over the previous generation. The compact desktop features an efficiently-designed chassis for an immersive experience in a variety of living spaces, and dual orientation capability allows it to lie horizontally or stand vertically. The new X51 boasts Intel 4th generation Core i5 and i7 processors, enthusiast graphics up to NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670, a dual hard drive configuration of 256 GB SSD, and 1 TB storage for fast boot and resume times and massive storage capabilities.

Alienware Vindicator Laptop Bags - Exclusively Designed for Alienware

Gamers can protect their performance powerhouse with the exclusive line of Alienware Vindicator laptop bags, specifically designed to house the new Alienware 14, Alienware 17 and Alienware 18 laptops. The series includes a backpack, messenger bag, slim carrying case, briefcase and neoprene sleeve, while their styling reflects a fusion of urban and military influences. The bags feature sturdy, weather-resistant materials and reinforced handles or straps for comfort and durability, and have smartly-designed, dedicated compartments that allow for organization and protection of essential accessories. With a stylish industrial design that fits into any setting, the bags are a must-have accessory while making the trek to a gaming competition or around town.

Availability

The Alienware 14, Alienware 17 and Alienware 18 laptops, Alienware X51 desktop and Alienware Vindicator laptop bags are available today on Dell.com in the United States and in select countries around the world.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Dell Precison 7720 Mobile Workstation
Processor Xeon E3-1535M v6
Motherboard Dell
Memory 48GB ECC
Video Card(s) Quadro P5000
Storage 2+2+4TB SSD
Display(s) 4k IPS
Software Win10 Pro
Still no thunderbolt...

System Name HAL
Processor Core i9 13900k @5.8-6.1
Motherboard Z790 Arous master
Cooling EKWB Quantum Velocity V2 & (2) 360 Corsair XR7 Rads push/pull
Memory 2x 32GB (64GB) Gskill trident 6000 CL30 @28 1T
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 Gigagbyte gaming OC @ +200/1300
Storage (M2's) 2x Samsung 980 pro 2TB, 1xWD Black 2TB, 1x SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB
Display(s) 65" LG OLED 120HZ
Case Lian Li dyanmic Evo11 with distro plate
Power Supply Thermaltake 1350
Software Microsoft Windows 11 x64
As soon as I feel like paying too much, for too little, I'll buy an Alienware. XD

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
Did they manage to fix the 14x heat issues? id only consider that one, but the previous models overheated way too easy, and the gpu throttled at a much to low temperature. not to mention, they STILL haven't fixed that. what incentive is there to buy this over, say, the msi ge40?

I'd rather go for Lenovo Ideapad at that price. It has the same spec but 250 dollars cheaper and has an option for SLI if one desires. But Alienware does have fancy LEDs.

System Name Night Rider | Mini LAN PC | Workhorse
Processor AMD R7 5800X3D | Ryzen 1600X | i7 970
Motherboard MSi AM4 Pro Carbon | GA- | Gigabyte EX58-UD5
Cooling Noctua U9S Twin Fan| Stock Cooler, Copper Core)| Big shairkan B
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws 3600MHz| 2x8GB Corsair 3000 | 6x2GB DDR3 1300 Corsair
Video Card(s) MSI AMD 6750XT | 6500XT | MSI RX 580 8GB
Storage 1TB WD Black NVME / 250GB SSD /2TB WD Black | 500GB SSD WD, 2x1TB, 1x750 | WD 500 SSD/Seagate 320
Display(s) LG 27" 1440P| Samsung 20" S20C300L/DELL 15" | 22" DELL/19"DELL
Case LIAN LI PC-18 | Mini ATX Case (custom) | Atrix C4 9001
Audio Device(s) Onboard | Onbaord | Onboard
Power Supply Silverstone 850 | Silverstone Mini 450W | Corsair CX-750
Mouse Coolermaster Pro | Rapoo V900 | Gigabyte 6850X
Keyboard MAX Keyboard Nighthawk X8 | Creative Fatal1ty eluminx | Some POS Logitech
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 7 Pro 64/Windows 10 Home
I priced a Alienware equivalent Desktop PC for a mate the other day, there price $2700, my Price $2000 and i still make $500 profit :roll: (Tower only)

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Mouse *squeak*
I'd rather go for Lenovo Ideapad at that price. It has the same spec but 250 dollars cheaper and has an option for SLI if one desires. But Alienware does have fancy LEDs.

Nah. the lenovo's sli implementation has horrific micro stutturing. it looks like first generation sli did. i'm considering the msi ge40, which has the same power as lenovo's sli, but in one chip. unfortunately, there are not that many 14 inch gaming laptops out there, with msi, alienware, and lenovo being the only ones i know of.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals

MSI gaming laptops are even cheaper with the same specs. ;)

Processor Intel® Core i5 6600
Motherboard Asus H170 Pro Gaming
Cooling Hyper 212 Evo
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB DDR4 2400mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Geforce GTX 960 G1 4GB Gaming
Storage 256GB Intel SSD 525 Series
Display(s) 24" LG LED Monitor
Case Corsair Carbide 200R
Power Supply Seasonic MK12II 620W
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G110
Software Windows 10 x64
BEWARE: These new 2013 Alienware laptops (I've heard) have very dim screens. Less than 200 nit.

MSI gaming laptops are even cheaper with the same specs. ;)

The build mats leaves much to be desired though, but their new refresh for Haswell are awesome since they are finally breaking away from plastic.

Nah. the lenovo's sli implementation has horrific micro stutturing. it looks like first generation sli did. i'm considering the msi ge40, which has the same power as lenovo's sli, but in one chip. unfortunately, there are not that many 14 inch gaming laptops out there, with msi, alienware, and lenovo being the only ones i know of.

Consider the price. Lenovo Y410p with a single GPU (750m) is only 850 while GE40 (with 760m) is around 1200 mark. If possible, it's always better to go for a single stable GPU setup. Just don't waste your processing powers for AA or going ultra on games. It's 14 inch screen for God's sake.

I am personally ordering GE60 with a custom skin from Xotic PC. God, I could not stand that ugly finger magnet lid. MSI redesigned their whole lineup for better but somehow left the ugly lid design intact, bah.

Last edited:
System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Mouse *squeak*
The build mats leaves much to be desired though, but their new refresh for Haswell are awesome since they are finally breaking away from plastic.

Consider the price. Lenovo Y410p with a single GPU (750m) is only 850 while GE40 (with 760m) is around 1200 mark. If possible, it's always better to go for a single stable GPU setup. Just don't waste your processing powers for AA or going ultra on games. It's 14 inch screen for God's sake.

I am personally ordering GE60 with a custom skin from Xotic PC. God, I could not stand that ugly finger magnet lid. MSI redesigned their whole lineup for better but somehow left the ugly lid design intact, bah.

True. id also consider that that extra 400 bucks gets you a laptop with the capability of running raid with msata drives, and has twice the gpu power of the y410p. and lenovo's horrible new touchpad......oh well. wonder where the g46 sucessor will land?
also, what do the custom lids look like?

True. id also consider that that extra 400 bucks gets you a laptop with the capability of running raid with msata drives, and has twice the gpu power of the y410p. and lenovo's horrible new touchpad......oh well. wonder where the g46 sucessor will land?

I actually considered Y510p but it comes with NGFF SSD as a caching medium. There are no NGFF SSDs on market right now and I need the laptop soonish, so I had to go with either Y500 series or the new MSI haswell laptops. Since money wasn't much of an issue, the answer was clear.

also, what do the custom lids look like?

http://www.xoticpc.com/skins_page_new.php

Basically, any ugly lid can transformed into a nice lid.