• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA to License its GPU IP à la ARM and PowerVR

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Although NVIDIA's Tegra line of SoCs are among the best performing there are on the market; the high-end SoC market is dominated by Qualcomm and Samsung. These chips are built from scratch by the companies, but the underlying CPU and GPU architectures are licensed from ARM, and the likes of Imagination Technologies, respectively. Imagination's PowerVR graphics cores make up over 80 percent of the embedded GPU market-share. There's a big change of plans at NVIDIA. The company is beginning to think that its expertise in GPU is better proliferated in the mobile SoC space not by waiting for Tegra to gain a foothold, but by licencing its GPU IP (intellectual property) to whoever is willing pay up, much in the same way ARM and Imagination do.

NVIDIA spokesperson David Shannon, in a recent blog post, wrote: "our next step is to license our GPU cores and visual computing patent portfolio to device manufacturers to serve the needs of a large piece of the market... We'll start by licensing the GPU core based on the NVIDIA Kepler architecture, the world's most advanced, most efficient GPU. Its DX11, OpenGL 4.3, and GPGPU capabilities, along with vastly superior performance and efficiency, create a new class of licensable GPU cores. Through our efforts designing Tegra into mobile devices, we've gained valuable experience designing for the smallest power envelopes. As a result, Kepler can operate in a half-watt power envelope, making it scalable from smartphones to supercomputers."

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

More avenues for revenue = win.

Personally I believe this is mostly about pushing CUDA in virtually every segment of the market, though. Time will tell. :)

Its another avenue but it conflicts with there current model.

They might be going this route because Qualcomm took most of the old Tegra 3 customers and Nvidia shot themselves in the foot by being late to the game with Wayne & Grey.

Tegra division has been hemorrhaging for Nvidia the last few quaters. Re-coupe as much money as you can by selling off GPU IP.

Q4 down 14.6%
Q1 down 51%

Last edited:
Processor i5 4670K - @ 4.8GHZ core
Motherboard MSI Z87 G43
Cooling Thermalright Ultra-120 *(Modded to fit on this motherboard)
Memory 16GB 2400MHZ
Video Card(s) HD7970 GHZ edition Sapphire
Storage Samsung 120GB 850 EVO & 4X 2TB HDD (Seagate)
Display(s) 42" Panasonice LED TV @120Hz
Case Corsair 200R
Audio Device(s) Xfi Xtreme Music with Hyper X Core
Power Supply Cooler Master 700 Watts
Its another avenue but it conflicts with there current model.

They might be going this route because Qualcomm took most of the old Tegra 3 customers and Nvidia shot themselves in the foot by being late to the game with Wayne & Grey.

Tegra division has been hemorrhaging for Nvidia the last few quaters. Re-coupe as much money as you can by selling off GPU IP.

Q4 down 14.6%
Q1 down 51%

Crispy at Techreport said:
So, the Tegra's not doing so well in terms of design wins
Nvidia doesn't have any console contracts this time round.
Intel's Iris will be eating away at Nvidia's low and mid-range mobile lineup.
AMD laptops don't need Nvidia GPU's at all
"The desktop is dead" if you believe the hype, so that's a shrinking market of Geforces
Project Shield is a joke

Oh, and they keep iritating the Linux crowd, too.
Good job Nvidia, making those shareholders happy!

100% agreed with the above 2 comments.

Huguito

http://cdn.meme.li/instances/400x/38250081.jpg

5)Nvidia will start supporting Linux when gays, nazis and pedophiles will get rights.

You know what is really funny you little xenophobic troll???! The fact that Nvidia is AIMING this market (gays, nazis and pedophiles users) with the Tegra project (wich is not going well)..

And because its not going well, they decided to license their tech to other companys in a better position to them.. the ones that sells millions of products to "gays, nazis and pedophiles" users...

Soo.. in the end, your Beloved Nvidia company its doing whatever they can to to grab a piece of the "gays, nazis and pedophiles" community WICH BTW i can guarantee your mom/dad/sister and at least 98% of your family/relatives/friends belongs.. why?!?! they have an android smartphone :laugh:

oh !! btw, Android = linux wich is pretty much almost everything mobile this days :rolleyes:

and you?!?! what smartphone do you have?!?!

System Name my box
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi x470 Ultimate
Cooling NZXT Kraken x72
Memory 2×16GiB @ 3200MHz, some Corsair RGB led meme crap
Video Card(s) AMD [ASUS ROG STRIX] Radeon RX Vega64 [OC Edition]
Storage Samsung 970 Pro && 2× Seagate IronWolf Pro 4TB in Raid 1
Display(s) Asus VG278H + Asus VH226H
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black TG
Audio Device(s) Using optical S/PDIF output lol
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i
Mouse Razer Naga Epic
Keyboard Keychron Q1
Software Funtoo Linux
Benchmark Scores 217634.24 BogoMIPS
I was hesitating about posting this and just saved this post away, to be posted in some indeterminate point in the future. But Huguito's post made me change my mind, dig it up and post it. Here Ya go.

5)Nvidia will start supporting Linux when gays, nazis and pedophiles will get rights.

I'm a Linux user, but OH SNAP I am neither gay, nazi or a pedophiple.
Also Your statement is quite incorrect. Since gays, nazis and pedophiles are so called "minorities", they actually have more rights than the rest of us in a large portion of this world (it's complicated). According to Your logic, Nvidia should support Linux zealously - even more zealously than Windoze. After all, all those minorities do have more rights. But somehow, the only amount of real support from Nvidia comes to pleasing Valve, i.e. directly getting cash-muhney.

A tiny example:
name redacted said:
[...]and there's no reason for [redacted] to be slow with [redacted], except that afaics nvidia has custom-tailored this stuff for the source engine and everything that behaves differently is slowed down

Also, the fact that lots of performance optimizations, better debugging and RandR support, day-one drivers for new GPUs and many other things that were long waited for, finally got into the driver after Valve started poking Nvidia about it.
As soon as Valve stops poking Nvidia with their poking stick which has a bag-o-cash tied on the poking-end, Nvidia's real level of support will resurface again.
P.S. Yes, 'droid is Linux. I felt like withholding from rubbing this in, but: OH HAHA Linux dominates the smartphone market.

System Name Orion R7
Processor AMD Ryzen7 1700 at 4GHz
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair 6 Hero
Cooling Noctua HN-D15
Memory 2x 8GB DDR4 3200MHz G.SKILL TridentZ RGB
Video Card(s) EVGA NVIDIA GTX1080 ti FE
Storage 500GB Samsung NVMe SSD + 500GB Samsung SATA + 1TB HGST HDD
Display(s) AOC 27" 1080P
Case CM HAF
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply 650W EVGA G2
Software Microsoft Windows 10 1709 Fallen Creatures :) Update 64bit
I have a dream.... Intel to get licence for Kepler! Then just imagine what CPUs they can create! :cool:

AlienIsGOD

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Aliens Ryzen Rig | 2nd Hand Omen
Processor Ryzen R5 5600 | Ryzen R5 3600
Motherboard Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite (F61 BIOS) | B450 matx
Cooling DeepCool Castle EX V2 240mm AIO| stock for now
Memory 8GB X 2 DDR4 3000mhz Team Group Vulcan | 16GB DDR4
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 8GB | GTX 1650 4GB
Storage Adata XPG 8200 PRO 512GB SSD OS / 240 SSD + 2TB M.2 SSD Games / 1000 GB Data | SSD + HDD
Display(s) Acer ED273 27" VA 144hz Freesync |TCL 32" 1080P w/ HDR
Case NZXT H500 Black | HP Omen Obelisk
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek | Onboard Realtek
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650w 80+ Gold | 500w
Mouse Steelseries Rival 500 15 button mouse w/ Razor Goliathus Chroma XL mousemat | Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spark RGB w/ Romer G tactile keys | Logitech G513 Carbon w/ Romer G tactile keys
Software Windows 10 Pro | Windows 10 Pro
well i see some people cant have a mature conversation w/o bringing up homophobic comments.... reported and i hope you get banned

AlienIsGOD

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Aliens Ryzen Rig | 2nd Hand Omen
Processor Ryzen R5 5600 | Ryzen R5 3600
Motherboard Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite (F61 BIOS) | B450 matx
Cooling DeepCool Castle EX V2 240mm AIO| stock for now
Memory 8GB X 2 DDR4 3000mhz Team Group Vulcan | 16GB DDR4
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 8GB | GTX 1650 4GB
Storage Adata XPG 8200 PRO 512GB SSD OS / 240 SSD + 2TB M.2 SSD Games / 1000 GB Data | SSD + HDD
Display(s) Acer ED273 27" VA 144hz Freesync |TCL 32" 1080P w/ HDR
Case NZXT H500 Black | HP Omen Obelisk
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek | Onboard Realtek
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650w 80+ Gold | 500w
Mouse Steelseries Rival 500 15 button mouse w/ Razor Goliathus Chroma XL mousemat | Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spark RGB w/ Romer G tactile keys | Logitech G513 Carbon w/ Romer G tactile keys
Software Windows 10 Pro | Windows 10 Pro
I meet one of biggest AMD heroes which post here I will stake him to the ground.

wow death threats.... ur paving your own way out of the forums quite good.

It's not going well because you said so?

It's not going well because Nvidia said so.

Someones been hit in the head one too many times

System Name my box
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi x470 Ultimate
Cooling NZXT Kraken x72
Memory 2×16GiB @ 3200MHz, some Corsair RGB led meme crap
Video Card(s) AMD [ASUS ROG STRIX] Radeon RX Vega64 [OC Edition]
Storage Samsung 970 Pro && 2× Seagate IronWolf Pro 4TB in Raid 1
Display(s) Asus VG278H + Asus VH226H
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black TG
Audio Device(s) Using optical S/PDIF output lol
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i
Mouse Razer Naga Epic
Keyboard Keychron Q1
Software Funtoo Linux
Benchmark Scores 217634.24 BogoMIPS
@Xzibit Where did You get this graph? Does Nvidia provide more such data, not necessarily involving Tegra?

Processor Intel
Motherboard MSI
Cooling Cooler Master
Memory Corsair
Video Card(s) Nvidia
Storage Samsung/Western Digital/ADATA
Display(s) Samsung
Case Thermaltake
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Seasonic
Mouse A4TECH
Keyboard UniKey
Software Windows 10 x64
Tegra its not doing so well because the market says so.. how many design wins they have?!?!?

any major phone vendor?? table maker?? any apple device?? anything?!?!?!

meanwhile samsung have the custom made exynos (arm based) soc that sells MILLIONS anytime, qualcomm its present in almost everything too..

you know what?? im not loosing my time anymore.. bye bye

Have you seen Nvidia financial results? I see more than ten bucks Tegra profit.

Shame AMD don't do such slides. Since they also down during quarter it would be interesting to see. Maybe ego won't allow.

Someone been hit in the nuts too many times since you trying to show how bad Nvidia is doing.

Shame AMD don't do such slides. Since they also down during quarter it would be interesting to see. Maybe ego won't allow.

AMD does have the same thing at there website aswell.

Although I don't see how that pertains to this story. Nvidia by Licencing out GPU IP is just competing against itself in its current form or sees an unsustainable form in Tegra. Intel already uses Nvidia IP in its processors. In mobile phones Qualcomm has the old ATi IP it bought from AMD and its doing extremely well in the market most flagship mobile phones from vendors will be carring a Snapdragon 400-800. The Snapdragon 800 can go into a smartphone or tablet and do 4k video. Its gonna take a while for someone to catch up to Qualcomm.

Imagination Technologies will be Nvidia main competitor in mobile so its going to be all about pricing IP. You also have to wonder if they are selling the IP then will companies not purchase Tegra 4 Wayne or Grey chips and opt for the IP instead so it hurts them aswell.

Processor Intel
Motherboard MSI
Cooling Cooler Master
Memory Corsair
Video Card(s) Nvidia
Storage Samsung/Western Digital/ADATA
Display(s) Samsung
Case Thermaltake
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Seasonic
Mouse A4TECH
Keyboard UniKey
Software Windows 10 x64
Uhm, while it's not my intention to go into deep financial analysis of a corporation, you DO know that it's very typical for companies to have a Q1 slowdown compared to their previous Q4 results? You know this, right?!? :confused:

I'm asking this, because that graph is just about the worst thing you could use to back up your claims. :roll:

Uhm, while it's not my intention to go into deep financial analysis of a corporation, you DO know that it's very typical for companies to have a Q1 slowdown compared to their previous Q4 results? You know this, right?!? :confused:

I'm asking this, because that graph is just about the worst thing you could use to back up your claims. :roll:

I guess we can all believe which Nvidia graphs we want to believe are real. :)

Lets not be ignorant that the bar next to it is GPU division and that's only moved downward no more then 6% for 2 quarters straight. Comparing 6% to 14% and 51%. Really ?

Guess its hard to see the graph next to it. :rolleyes:

:shadedshu Thanks for proving my point about the graphs. Looks like there's no need to discuss this any longer with you, as you apparently seem to be quite thorough in your research about NVIDIA's financial health, their mobile strategies as well as their future, unannounced products. Hell, I think you might as well replace their CFO while you're at it! :laugh: